Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My work in progress B3

Vehicles
      90 GLI/90 Passat
      04-30-2012 12:41 AM #1
      Some point and shoot action, I was going to edit but my PS CS3 trial ended a few days ago and I need to get a new code lol

1991 Passat VR6 swap. B4 from the B pillars forward conversion inside, full OBD2 swap and full B4 harnesses. H&R cup kit, B4 front bumper, and a touch of POS.

Vehicles
      2001 cougar
      04-30-2012 02:08 AM #2
      Im not usually a fan of b3's but I really like

Vehicles
      09 Subaru
      04-30-2012 02:35 PM #3
      You're not running w/o the air filter are you?
      '90 Corrado |'92 Jetta 8v | '91 Golf 8v | '95 GTI | '98 Jetta VR6 |'04 Jetta 2.0 |'04.5 GLI |'92 Passat VR6

Vehicles
      90 GLI/90 Passat
      04-30-2012 03:12 PM #4
      Only for about 50 miles. I picked up a spectre from autozone...its awful. Depending on if I keep the car im going to build an intake

Vehicles
      '96 B4V VR6, Poverty-spec E46
      04-30-2012 08:47 PM #5
      Look at the pictures without reading the text, and I was like VR + 4x100

Is that mono-wiper properly converted, as in modified linkages? Looking forward to doing the same thing to mine and I'd enjoy peeking at somebody else's setup.

Vehicles
      90 GLI/90 Passat
      05-01-2012 11:12 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by max302 View Post
      Look at the pictures without reading the text, and I was like VR + 4x100

Is that mono-wiper properly converted, as in modified linkages? Looking forward to doing the same thing to mine and I'd enjoy peeking at somebody else's setup.
      My VR MK2 was also 4 lug, I like the narrow track and wheel options!

The mono wiper was a function thing. I flipped my wipers on a few weeks ago and the drivers side arm didn't stop when it went up, and continued past the A pillar lol. The nub is stripped out. If I can mod the linkage I'll keep the mono.

Vehicles
      2004 W8 6spd Wagon, 2004 Passat TDI, 1997 Passat TDI, 95 Jetta VR, 90 Corrado VR,
      05-03-2012 12:43 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by upoo2
      its ok, wheels come and go. But RIMZ are FOREVER
      Quote Originally Posted by dano17
      So they moved the small passat section to fit the abundance of MKIV's that all look the same...

Vehicles
      90 GLI/90 Passat
      05-12-2012 11:55 AM #8
      I bought this car in July with no motor for $200, gutted it from the B pillar forward and replaced all the wiring and trim with B4 stuff for another $200. Added my OBD2 VR swap I had laying around and boom! $400 VR6 passat. Spun a rod bearing in October, drove it to the last show of the year and put a hole in the block on the way home.

All reds

B4 Dash

B4 bumper, coilovers, and wheels

FREEBIE! Floor mats from a dealer who's had them for 20 years.

Some of this BS

Porting a spare head

I put together another motor and had a ticking issue....

I put my ported head on, 3 angle valve job, all stock OEM hardware (brokestatus), MK4 HG and put it back together. It pulled as strong as my buddies 200whp MK3 VR <--- his words, and I agree. Only issue is it was blowing smoke like crazy and had lifter tick. The mechanic told me it was a collapsed lifer and bad rings, which is what my guess was anyway, just wanted a 2nd professional opinion. On the way back from the shop yesterday I heard a rod bearing let loose....

Motor #1 - Rod bearing
      Motor #2 - Bent valves
      Motor #3 - (same bottom end as #2) Spun rod bearing

Hopefully #4 will be kind to me.

Vehicles
      '96 B4V VR6, Poverty-spec E46
      05-12-2012 05:31 PM #9
      How about some ARP rod bolts this time around? It probably wasn't the bearing itself that took a dump but the fasteners.

Vehicles
      90 GLI/90 Passat
      05-16-2012 05:06 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by max302 View Post
      How about some ARP rod bolts this time around? It probably wasn't the bearing itself that took a dump but the fasteners.
      It sounded like it started as the bearing, just a loose rattle, then the knock came... But I agree. I plan on building another motor down the road (once I finish my 1.8t preject) and it will have ARP hardware all around.

Vehicles
      B4V-VR *R.I.P.*, B3V-VR
      05-17-2012 01:48 AM #11
      I like this thread Good form!
      COMING SOON...!
      Preventative Maintenance is like tying your shoe laces... fools be trippin'

Vehicles
      90 GLI/90 Passat
      05-20-2012 11:35 PM #12
      So my story continues...

On Monday around 8:30 pm I pulled my friends good obd1 VR6 that he was trading to me, finished up and made my 1 hour journey back home. I pulled the bad motor out of the passat and got the new one put in, odb2 harness swapped, and running by 2am.

Tuesday night I worked on it from 10p til 4a

Wednesday I worked on it from 10p and didn't stop until 6pm Thursday night.

Things I accomplished in the week:
      Pulled 2 motors
      Installed 1 motor
      Rear mounted battery
      Re-loomed all engine bay wiring
      5 lug 11.3" swap
      MK4 rear calipers (with 2 working ebrake cables!!!)
      My wife ran stereo wiring
      Installed H&R cup kit (designed for a GTI, so I worked up custom rear mounts)
      Painted Beetle steelies
      Painted a RX2 for a spare
      bled brakes
      got an alignment done
      Ended up rolling on some neat looking tuner wheels since they had tires mounted already
      and the list is longer but it's all the little things in between that take up minutes

The car purred like a cat, drove great too so we loaded up and got on the way. About 2 hours into the trip the drivers front wheel bearing started to hum. Dually noted.... About 2 hours from Helen we got a bad wobble so I pulled off and the lug nuts had backed out. Ball seat lugs on cone bored wheels, and the heat/vibration from the wheel bearing didn't help. I torqued them down good, double checked my axle nut and hit the back roads into town.

I skipped all the activities Saturday, didn't even get to go to the show because I was running all over trying to fix the wheel bearing. I picked up a bearing at Autozone and we rigged a 'shop press' that wasn't quite fit for the job. Luckily in the town about 10 miles away I stumbled into an open shop, they hooked me up big time and I left with a spinning spindle/hub. Everything was put together as night fell, and I figured the best way to break in a new wheel bearing is with some burn outs, so I did 2 or 3 big ones.

This morning we got up and I checked fluids, put loctite on the lugs, checked the axles nut again, tire pressure, put a full 18 gallons in it and headed on our cruise home via the tail of the dragon. I couldn't down shift into second gear from 3rd so I was taking it sorta easy in the twisties, but I was getting it with a few MK3 VRs and my friends e36 M.

15 miles out I heard my motor rattling, pulled over to hear it better and knew right away what it was. Yup, a rod bearing...

Alex from Panzer Automotive out of Louisville ran his VR6T Rallye Golf out to meet me. Kinda sucked for him, I mean he HAD to drive a 500+ hp AWD MK2 through perfectly smooth winding mountain roads. He confirmed the rod bearing diagnosis, headed back to get his truck and trailer to bring me back into town. Chris Collier of C2 Motorsports graciously allowed my paper weight in his trailer for a ride back to Louisville. AAA was going to be $2000+ for the tow.

Clint (Nash_TDI) gave my wife an I a ride home. That meant Luke (Psst97), Clint, my wife and I put everything unnecessary in the trailer so his car wouldn't rub.

We made it home, got back to our 9 month old who was so happy to see us. The support from some in the community was outstanding, from my friends riding around with me Saturday looking for parts and a shop to Alex and Chris going above and beyond to help us out. Our spirits are still up even after this **** luck thanks to everyone who helped.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 vw passat 2.0
      05-21-2012 04:31 AM #13
      I know that roller coaster your riding. I have a q for ya. Is that face mask diy?

Vehicles
      90 GLI/90 Passat
      05-21-2012 08:41 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by drive.euro View Post
      I know that roller coaster your riding. I have a q for ya. Is that face mask diy?
      Yeah, I haven't finished it yet. I'm going to fiberglass a recess in it like around the VW emblem. I was also toying with putting a mesh behind it. I love the iconic 90's look of the half grille.

Vehicles
      90 GLI/90 Passat
      05-30-2012 05:25 PM #15
      Found a B3 and B4 at a local just yard, both are mostly complete. I'm getting the hood and maybe fenders and doors from the B3, and the fuel tank, air box and all the A/C stuff, unbroken cup holders, center console and trunk carpet from the B4. I shouldn't be doing it, but my bad rod bearings aren't going anywhere, and who knows when these cars are headed to the scrapper!