Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Electrical issue

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1995 VW Cabrio
      04-30-2012 09:19 AM #1
      Hey y'all. Finally figured out how to word this. My wife's '95 cabrio lights have an issue somewhere. Hoping someone has seen this or could point me in the right direction. When the turn signal is on and you touch the brake the blinker stops. When the headlights are on and you hit the brake all the rear lights blink. Also when you hit the brake the front hazards light up. I think there is a short in the brake side, but have no idea about the wiring on these cars. Any help is much appreciated.
      Thanks

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      04-30-2012 11:03 AM #2
      Grounds at the rear light assemblies or/and single filament bulbs where duals belong in the rear light assemblies. Either condition will cause brake light power to back feed into the turn signal circuits causing exactly the symptoms you've described.
      vwvortex search is weak. Instead, type search terms site:http://forums.vwvortex.com into the google search box.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1965 Beetle, 1987 Triple White, 1988 cabriolet, 1993 2dr Fox gl, 1999 Jetta GL
      04-30-2012 11:32 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by tolusina View Post
      Grounds at the rear light assemblies or/and single filament bulbs where duals belong in the rear light assemblies. Either condition will cause brake light power to back feed into the turn signal circuits causing exactly the symptoms you've described.
      Hope this helps but I just went through this with my 93' Fox this winter, mine was a corroded ground in my d-side tail light harness connector causing my left blinker to quit blinking when I pressed on the brake...I jumpered a ground from both tail light panels and bolted them to a sanded bare metal spot under my trunck latch and they work fine now.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1995 VW Cabrio
      04-30-2012 12:21 PM #4
      Awesome thanks for both suggestions. Will work on it today. I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!

5. 04-30-2012 03:24 PM #5
      really very good liked it lol superb post.

Performance Parts

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1995 VW Cabrio
      05-24-2012 06:49 PM #6
      I checked the grounds in the tail lights, and everything looks good. Was wondering if the tail light module could go bad and cause these symptoms. Any ideas?

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1995 VW Cabrio
      05-25-2012 12:20 PM #7
      Any thoughts?

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      05-25-2012 01:48 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Getnsquirrelee View Post
      Any thoughts?
      Quote Originally Posted by tolusina View Post
      -----
      Quote Originally Posted by Getnsquirrelee View Post
      I checked the grounds in the tail lights, and everything looks good. Was wondering if the tail light module could go bad and cause these symptoms. Any ideas?
      Did you test, or just look at the grounds?
      Test for voltage drops across ground at the rear light assemblies with a DVOM, or, use a clip lead to ground them for a test.
      You really can't tell much about grounds just by looking at them.

What "tail light module" are you referring to?

Did you check for single filament bulbs installed where dual filament bulbs belong?
      ---

vwvortex search is weak. Instead, type search terms site:http://forums.vwvortex.com into the google search box.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+