Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is modding cars even cool anymore?

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      05-03-2012 01:36 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by saron81 View Post
      Oh... yours are corner balanced?
      Mine certainly were before they got sent out of re-valving.
      The problem is that 95% of coilovers (and 98% of VW coilovers) are complete **** that damp worse than stock, much less as well as something like a Koni or bilstien. The only advantage to be able to lower your car to the point of making up getting over a sidewalk an impossible task.
      ---
      My car had 4 different ride-heights. It would give the stance people a heart attack.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8T
      05-03-2012 01:57 AM #102
      I don't think modifying will ever go away. It's a source of business, knowledge, enthusiasm, hobby/tinkering, and fun that everyone enjoys. Even if cars end up as soulless electric cars, with one speed and weird bodies, people will still find ways to "make them their own." And that statement can be taken any way.

Even when car manufacturers do a fantastic job at engineering the car perfectly, from the engine internals, to the suspension components, to the wheels. Most buyers will always want to change something on the car. Be it the wheels, or interior bits, anything. Differentiation and ultimate uniqueness is the key everyone strives for.

I don't think it will fade. I hope that the car domain icy hot stuntaz and fart cans will fade. It's starting to, but i still see poorly done-out canadian tire specials with too much chrome driving around.
      Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, 2004 Ram 2500 Cummins
      05-03-2012 03:04 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      Wow thats the dumbest statement of the year.
      You are 18, so im glad you missed the Fast and Furious face. I can already see a neon green civic w unpainted body kit and neon lights. Since its 2012, you probbaly have tons of UBER COOL stikerz on your rear window

This is why everybody hate the mk4 crowed. They are the same ricers who moved from Hondas to VW.
      Yup just your average vortex sheep

FS - OZ M-191 Center Cap - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post77384355
      Diesel Dub Club #38 || Euro Style || MK2 Militia ||

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 03:24 AM #104
      Just for you old timers that are stuck in the 90's and hate anything new

and the hipster leader

Us "kids" realized something, we dont need fast cars to look good lol
      FS - OZ M-191 Center Cap - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post77384355

5. 05-03-2012 03:49 AM #105
      ^^ What is this ****???

Last edited by E34M50; 05-03-2012 at 03:51 AM.
      Girls and Money and New Clothes

Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      Keep in mind the noise you hear in an S2000 is the ENGINE, and not the exhaust note that VR6 people jizz over. I'd rather have a nice sounding engine than a nice sounding exhaust.

Vehicles
      06 325 xi, 08 Honda Ridgeline
      05-03-2012 05:07 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIDamien_407 View Post

Loosen up those skinny jeans kid, your vagina is showing.

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      05-03-2012 06:45 AM #107
      OEM+ because I do it for me and no one else.
      Daily | Weekend | Project

Vehicles
      A German thing, and a not so German thing
      05-03-2012 07:35 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by jspirate View Post
      OEM+ because I do it for me and no one else.
      This is the best IMHO
      Slammed Radio Flyer---flickr---My Build Thread--- Podi
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      if this really happens, I'm 'stancing' my car and going for some 'hellaflush'.

Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      05-03-2012 08:38 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Who gives a shatner if it is cool?

Seriously.... you should mod a vehicle to make it better in your opinion.

Modding a vehicle just because it is cool is the epitome of doing it lame.

Maybe if modding vehicles to be just like the fast and factitious movies loses popularity, there will be less posers ad more goers.
      BReal, again, did you forget about customizing cars to be cool that has been going on since the '40s? Do you really think those '50s customs were done without any thought to being cool?

Did the Vortex get a case of ignorance lately? As in the "We're going to completely ignore 7 decades of the custom automotive scene so we can make stupid statements about Fast and Furious being the only reason people modded cars" type of ignorance?

Modding cars to be cool with the crowd you prefer is the PRIMARY reason cars have been modded since modding BEGAN. Even if that's to make your car faster! You have to use the "right" parts, and do the "correct" mods, and the racer crowd will then think you did it right, which is the acceptance that you may not even know you want.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      05-03-2012 09:12 AM #110
      So you mod cars to look cool? People who do things to "look cool" are total toolbags.

05-03-2012 09:22 AM #111
      blah blah blah blah blah.

here we go again, comparing napalm to orange juice.

you can not seriously say you want to compare the artistry of hotrodding -- the metalwork, the craftsmanship, the part hunting, the grand tradition, the line rearranging, the creation of the new, the glory and the history . . . . to stanceworks?

bullshatner. ebay and mommy's credit card doesn't remotely compare to hot rodders of yore. those guys were creating something fresh and new out of the ground what the industry wasn't giving them, when modifying meant getting out a torch, some pallmalls, and your nutzack. and unquestioningly, it has withstood the test of time. these kids are copycat mushheads making shyster garbage hucksters rich off their stupidity. it's like comparing an ansel adams hasselblad to a lilo twittered instagram.

serious question: will "classic" examples of this stupid trend show up on auction blocks 70 years from now fetching seven figures? will there be dozens of dedicated magazines, more television shows, and millions of fans lining up at the doors of your local "stance classic expo?" will any of it show up in serious art museums, or influence tastemakers for generations to come? will refined aficionados go treasure hunting through barns and junkyards looking for that last missing gem they need for their classic patec holeshot collection? BS. all the way. BS.

half these cars aren't even paid for. these kids have about as much blood and sweat into their cell phones.
      Last edited by roadtripper; 05-03-2012 at 09:25 AM.

12. 05-03-2012 10:27 AM #112

While the fad is over, people who were in it before F+F are still in it now. While i have always been a function>form person i do still enjoy the occasional aero kit. I have modding my Z new in 2004 and as long as i still enjoy driving/modding it i will keep doing so.

13. 05-03-2012 10:30 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      blah blah blah blah blah.

here we go again, comparing napalm to orange juice.

you can not seriously say you want to compare the artistry of hotrodding -- the metalwork, the craftsmanship, the part hunting, the grand tradition, the line rearranging, the creation of the new, the glory and the history . . . . to stanceworks?

bullshatner. ebay and mommy's credit card doesn't remotely compare to hot rodders of yore. those guys were creating something fresh and new out of the ground what the industry wasn't giving them, when modifying meant getting out a torch, some pallmalls, and your nutzack. and unquestioningly, it has withstood the test of time. these kids are copycat mushheads making shyster garbage hucksters rich off their stupidity. it's like comparing an ansel adams hasselblad to a lilo twittered instagram.

serious question: will "classic" examples of this stupid trend show up on auction blocks 70 years from now fetching seven figures? will there be dozens of dedicated magazines, more television shows, and millions of fans lining up at the doors of your local "stance classic expo?" will any of it show up in serious art museums, or influence tastemakers for generations to come? will refined aficionados go treasure hunting through barns and junkyards looking for that last missing gem they need for their classic patec holeshot collection? BS. all the way. BS.

half these cars aren't even paid for. these kids have about as much blood and sweat into their cell phones.
      This.

Notching a frame is considered "madsickinsaneyo" now. That is childs play to the old timers.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 e350, 2007 LBP S2000, 96 gti vr6 turbo
      05-03-2012 12:19 PM #114
      What's with all of those slow, trendy POS mk4s?

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 12:27 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Hez10 View Post
      Good thing I don't wear skinny jeans.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 12:30 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by cabzilla View Post
      What's with all of those slow, trendy POS mk4s?
      Cause most people that own mk4's arent in there 30's and 40's just broke students. So low and slow is the name of the game.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      05-03-2012 12:35 PM #117
      You'll realize when you grow up a little that there is more to life than looking "good".
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      I want to start a fundamentalist bakery called "Let he who is without sin snatch the first scone"

18. 05-03-2012 12:37 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Hez10 View Post
      and judging by your car line up, your penis is missing??
      a 325xi and you're running your mouth and calling people pussies?
      Last edited by E34M50; 05-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Keep in mind the noise you hear in an S2000 is the ENGINE, and not the exhaust note that VR6 people jizz over. I'd rather have a nice sounding engine than a nice sounding exhaust.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      05-03-2012 12:40 PM #119
      Cool or not, that isn't why I mod cars.

There may be a drop off in modding here and there. But it also could be that you are older so don't see it as much.

The economy could have a hand in it.

Newer cars really are getting better so modding a 10yr old car isn't as easy or as needed now as it was 10 yrs ago.

In general kids are getting out of cars. Most are more interested in having the coolest phone or tablet pc.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache - Bing Rewards

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta and an 02 Sube Outback
      05-03-2012 12:42 PM #120
      Cause most people that own mk4's arent in there 30's and 40's just broke students. So low and slow is the name of the game.
      Good god...the MkIV kids and their cliches.

And yes I drive a MkIV; bought it new when many of these kids were still s******g their pants.
      Original owner since May 1st, 1999, 187K miles

05-03-2012 12:45 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      I mod my Volvos with things like working ETMs, non cracked timing belts and head gaskets that keep the fluids separated. I prefer subtle.

Chris
      wussy

I was modding cars 15+ years ago when I was dropping in 5.0 motors into my 240 wagon.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 12:45 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      You'll realize when you grow up a little that there is more to life than looking "good".
      Well of course I know that, maybe once I finish school I'll Import my self a nice e39 525td as a second car. But for now I'm gunna live it up and enjoy being a "kid".

23. 05-03-2012 12:46 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
      And yes I drive a MkIV; bought it new when many of these kids were still s******g their pants.
      you deserve it brah!

Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta and an 02 Sube Outback
      05-03-2012 12:48 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by E34M50 View Post
      you deserve it brah!
      Looks tasty. Thanks!
      Original owner since May 1st, 1999, 187K miles

25. 05-03-2012 12:52 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
      Looks tasty. Thanks!
      handpicked, pumpkin pie!
      Only because you bought your MKIV when these kid were still ****ting their pants!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast