Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Massa Out...Webber In?

1. 04-30-2012 10:24 AM #1
      Saw this on Planet F1 so a grain of salt is required.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/...erez-stop-gap-
      Mark Webber is off to Ferrari next season to replace Felipe Massa in a one-year deal, according to a report in the Spanish media.

Webber is out of contract with Red Bull Racing at the end of this season, however, the Aussie is thought to be wanting to stay on in Formula One.

But with Red Bull looking to promote young drivers Daniel Ricciardo or Jean-Eric Vergne, Webber has been forced to look elsewhere.

Add that to the belief that Ferrari are eager to part ways with the under-performing Massa, who has just two points from four races this season, and there is suddenly some credence to the Webber rumour.

According to Spain's El Confidencial, the deal came about because of the "great relationship" between Webber and Ferrari's leading driver Fernando Alonso who has "supported" the Aussie's arrival.

The publication even goes as far as to quote a source who states that the deal is "done."

As for why Ferrari have not opted to turn to Sergio Perez, the El Confidencial claims it's because the Italian outfit want him to have "more experience before assuming a role of great responsibility" at Ferrari.

Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      04-30-2012 04:13 PM #2
      Massa out...<insert ANY name, past, current or future F1 driver here> In

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      04-30-2012 04:22 PM #3
      There are a couple of things that gives this story credibility:

Webber is the ultimate #2 driver
      Webber's manager Flavio could possibly still have a good relationship with Alonso which might help things
      Webber has won multiple races

The facts that blow this story out of the water:

Ferrari already have their eye on Perez
      Webber is old as dirt.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      04-30-2012 04:31 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 24vEngineer View Post
      There are a couple of things that gives this story credibility:

Webber is the ultimate #2 driver
      Webber's manager Flavio could possibly still have a good relationship with Alonso which might help things
      Webber has won multiple races

The facts that blow this story out of the water:

Ferrari already have their eye on Perez
      Webber is old as dirt.
      Remember that the article clearly states that Ferrari still want Perez, but want him to marinate at Sauber for another season. Webber may be a perfect fit for a single season. Couldn't get any worse for Massa unless he has a miraculous turnaround.

It is still pretty far fetched, but you never know in F1...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      04-30-2012 05:43 PM #5
      Webber is old as dirt.
      And consistently finishes in top 3-5 driver's spots at the end of the year. That's valuable points for the team. Isn't he ranked 3rd or 4th right now??
      Plus, he gets on well with Alonso. I say do it!!!
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

6. 04-30-2012 05:49 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by wiredvw View Post
      It is still pretty far fetched, but you never know in F1...
      Exactly. Remember how a few seasons ago Kubica was one of the up and coming drivers? Right now it is even questionable if he will return to racing.

While I don't wish it on any of the drivers currently out there, you never know when an injury on or off the track can occur.

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      04-30-2012 07:27 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      And consistently finishes in top 3-5 driver's spots at the end of the year. That's valuable points for the team. Isn't he ranked 3rd or 4th right now??
      Plus, he gets on well with Alonso. I say do it!!!

I'm not saying he isn't doing well. I'm actually rooting for the old boy, but isn't Ferrari's mantra to have a championship contender and a young support driver???

8. Member
      Vehicles
      04-30-2012 07:59 PM #8
      I'm not saying he isn't doing well. I'm actually rooting for the old boy, but isn't Ferrari's mantra to have a championship contender and a young support driver???
      Well latest is that Fry wants to change everything that they're doing over there. Their whole development philosophy, etc.,...
      Sounds to me like it's time! Bring Webbo and help Alonso to his next title!!

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      04-30-2012 08:31 PM #9
      If they want to give Perez another year to mature/develop, it makes sense to grab a seasoned vet like Webber for a year. Not only do they want a WDC, they want a WCC as well. Webber has shown he can do well in a good car.
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

10. Member
      05-01-2012 12:10 AM #10
      I think it actually makes sense. Webber definitely wants to stay in F1 and a season at Ferrari at the end of your career would be like icing on the cake (only short of winning a WDC) for any driver. Flavio, chummy w/ Alonso...makes total sense. Who knows, if he does well they may sign him for another year, hypothetically of course.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-02-2012 02:37 AM #11
      I think going to Ferrari would be a crappy way for Webber to finish his career. There is no way Ferrari would give him a fair chance against Alonso. everyone knows that the team is all about show offs and politics.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda CX-9 Zoom zoom
      05-02-2012 08:21 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      I think going to Ferrari would be a crappy way for Webber to finish his career. There is no way Ferrari would give him a fair chance against Alonso. everyone knows that the team is all about show offs and politics.
      Do you think he has a fair chance with Vettel?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 09:56 AM #13
      I'm sure Webbo realizes that the door is closing on him, so Ferrari is definitely the best option for this ole dawg! Everyone knows that if he goes to Ferrari, he'll simply be Alonso's wingman. The team is about winning and Alonso's their best bet. Not Webber.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      05-02-2012 08:50 PM #14
      I think staying at Red Bull would be a crappy way for Webber to finish his career. There is no way Red Bull would give him a fair chance against Vettel. everyone knows that the team is all about show offs and politics.
      FTFY
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      05-02-2012 11:01 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      FTFY

16. 05-03-2012 07:32 PM #16
      I'm sure Webbo realizes that the door is closing on him, so Ferrari is definitely the best option for this ole dawg! Everyone knows that if he goes to Ferrari, he'll simply be Alonso's wingman. The team is about winning and Alonso's their best bet. Not Webber.
      Vettel is currently leading the championship, but Webber is not too far behind in third.

When Vettel was at Toro Rosso he at least showed his potential by consistently outperforming his teammate Buemi, winning his first F1 race and thus earning his RedBull seat. Vergne and Ricciardo haven't proved themselves yet.

I don't see Redbull getting rid of a consistent points maker like Webber for a pair of unproven rookies...unless Webber himself no longer wants to be there.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 10:50 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by gizmopop View Post

I don't see Redbull getting rid of a consistent points maker like Webber for a pair of unproven rookies...unless Webber himself no longer wants to be there.
      And this is exactly what is predicted.

18. 05-04-2012 10:47 AM #18
      THIS!

He can't even get a fair shot, break or picture at RedBull, against his current teamate..why you all think he'd get that at the Scuderia?

He'd be put to pasture real quick...

Vehicles
      12 Golf TDI, 00 GTI, 00 NB, 84 Scirocco, 80 Dasher
      05-04-2012 05:13 PM #19
      There is no way Ferrari would give him a fair chance against Alonso. everyone knows that the team is all about show offs and politics.
      Oh come on, it's purely TALENT & ABILITY like any other team in F1. If that's your belief, you must be watching Indy and not F1 as in ESPN/Outdoor Channel and not SPEED Channel.

20. Member
      05-06-2012 09:17 PM #20
      Sorry. Not buying it.

Webber stands a better chance of success and notoriety with Red Bull as as opposed to Ferrari. Being in the shadow of Vettel is better than being in the shadow of Alonso AND having to sort out a questionable car (Ferrari's chassis and aero are garbage this season).

21. Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2012 08:45 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Crash6 View Post
      Sorry. Not buying it.

Webber stands a better chance of success and notoriety with Red Bull as as opposed to Ferrari. Being in the shadow of Vettel is better than being in the shadow of Alonso AND having to sort out a questionable car (Ferrari's chassis and aero are garbage this season).
      He may wanna go out with a bang by driving his last two years with the team everyone wants to drive for. Plus, he man-loves Alonso.
      As far as notorious, He's known for what he "almost did" with RB in 2010.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      05-07-2012 09:22 AM #22
      He may wanna go out with a bang by driving his last two years with the team everyone wants to drive for. Plus, he man-loves Alonso.
      As far as notorious, He's known for what he "almost did" with RB in 2010.
      Anyone know someone else that has a mancrush on Alnoso??? (cough*kfz*cough)

I would agree that perhaps Webber would want to finish his career out at F1's premiere team regardless of the status of their car. If he gets along better with Alonso than Vettel, then he may want that rather than a better car from Red Bull (no guarantee).

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      05-07-2012 11:41 AM #23
      You also have to take into account that this season's car is a dog. Maybe next season's car is a rocketship? Who knows? One thing that is for sure for sure, every driver on the grid has dreamed of driving for Ferrari whether they admit it or not. It would be a high point for Webbo to end what started out as a lackluster, go nowhere career at Ferrari.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      05-21-2012 09:16 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by atoson View Post
      SPAM
      If you click on that little triangle on the lower left corner, the moderators will take care of it.
      I just notified them of all that this guy just left....

Vehicles
      12 Golf TDI, 00 GTI, 00 NB, 84 Scirocco, 80 Dasher
      05-22-2012 06:17 AM #25
      If you click on that little triangle on the lower left corner, the moderators will take care of it.
      I just notified them of all that this guy just left....
      I've been here since 2002, was wondering what that was for? he he he

26. Member
      Vehicles
      05-22-2012 11:57 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by atoson View Post
      I've been here since 2002, was wondering what that was for? he he he
      I found out a month ago.....

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      08-01-2012 04:11 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      If they want to give Perez another year to mature/develop, it makes sense to grab a seasoned vet like Webber for a year. Not only do they want a WDC, they want a WCC as well. Webber has shown he can do well in a good car.

Perez played it real cool after Malaysia stating that he wanted to stay with sauber...now the tune has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by gpupdate.net
      Sergio Pérez claims there is no time like the present for Ferrari to declare whether or not they will be interested in his services for the 2013 Formula 1 season. The Mexican, currently racing for customer squad Sauber and part of the Ferrari Driver Academy, has scored two podium finishes so far this year.

Pérez has been a Ferrari candidate since before the start of the current campaign, but speculation has only grown as he finished second to Fernando Alonso in Malaysia and then picked up a further rostrum result in Canada. This leaves the 22-year-old from Guadalajara 22 points ahead of Ferrari works driver Felipe Massa in the championship standings.

“It's been a very busy season so far, but the moment will soon come for me to think about my future,” he told the British media. “If there is an opportunity with them, or another team, then it's time to know. I will have to see what the options are and from that I will decide.

“I think I have done a very good job this season; I have proven I have the speed and the consistency as well…yes, I've been a bit up and down, but many things have to be taken into account and we cannot forget we're still a midfield team.

“I will decide very soon what my future is going to be.”

It remains possible that Ferrari could retain Massa for another year, but most insiders expect the Brazilian to be moved on. With Mark Webber having signed a one-year contract extension with Red Bull following a short dialogue with Ferrari, outside contenders for the seat include Caterham’s Heikki Kovalainen and ex Force India driver Adrian Sutil. Kimi Räikkönen has also been linked with the Scuderia, but is likely to remain with Lotus.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      08-02-2012 09:48 AM #28
      Perez played it real cool after Malaysia stating that he wanted to stay with sauber...now the tune has changed.
      Not really. He stated before that this season he has no interest in heading over to Ferrari. He does have a point about 2013 since Ferrari are taking their sweet time deciding on Massa for 2013.