Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Strut Mount

Vehicles
      25th Anniversary GTI
      04-30-2012 12:04 PM #1
      Iv read here in the past that using a euro spec polo strut mount or using audi 90 strut mounts will lower the front of our cars???? anyone heard of this? i tried searching for that old post but found nothing

04-30-2012 02:16 PM #2
      Zach! has polo mounts, I'd pm him
      Waffled

Vehicles
      25th Anniversary GTI
      04-30-2012 02:23 PM #3
      yea but do they actually lower the car?

Vehicles
      Unicorn 337 + B6 S4
      04-30-2012 02:55 PM #4
      Yes, it does lower the car slightly. The Audi 90 strut mounts tend to fail quite prematurely simply because their diameter is sightly smaller. The Polo mounts would be better. They will lower your car slightly anywhere from .5" to 1"

Vehicles
      25th Anniversary GTI
      04-30-2012 03:39 PM #5
      sweet thats all im looking for untill i go coils!!

Vehicles
      JB 20th 0440, 1987 Audi 4kq, 1998 Yukon, 1969 Datsun 2000
      04-30-2012 04:08 PM #6
      I've heard they are about 1/2" lower. I plan on replacing mine with Polo mounts then raising the car up a little for hopefully a little better ride.
      Bring back our SuperSonics
      GO HAWKS! 12th Man!

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and EVO VII RS
      04-30-2012 05:11 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Clun9 View Post
      The Audi 90 strut mounts tend to fail quite prematurely simply because their diameter is sightly smaller.
      Wrong. They fail because people don't get the right hardware for it. It requires the older MK2 style upper strut nut, rather than the system factory MK4 stuff uses. Do a search in the MK4 forum for "audi 90 bushings" and you'll come across that frequently.

Yes, without the proper hardware they will last a few days, no joke, a friend did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzydub View Post
      I plan on replacing mine with Polo mounts then raising the car up a little for hopefully a little better ride.
      What's the point then? Stick with factory MK4 stuff. It's not going to ride any different. You might think it does because of the placebo factor that you changed something, but in reality the difference will be neglible.
      Last edited by 87vr6; 04-30-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Vehicles
      Unicorn 337 + B6 S4
      04-30-2012 05:23 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      Wrong. They fail because people don't get the right hardware for it. It requires the older MK2 style upper strut nut, rather than the system factory MK4 stuff uses. Do a search in the MK4 forum for "audi 90 bushings" and you'll come across that frequently.

Yes, without the proper hardware they will last a few days, no joke, a friend did that.
      Unfortunately that is not always the case, I have known of multiple cases in which all the proper hardware was used and they still ended up failing prematurely. Not within a few days but a few months.

Vehicles
      2012 CSG Golf R
      04-30-2012 05:52 PM #9

This. I haven't personally heard of it failing w/o the proper hardware like it was posted, but i wouldn't doubt it honestly. If you are getting coilovers in a bit, why even waste the time trying Audi bushings?..seems like a waste of money to me.
      - Jon

10. Banned
      Vehicles
      337/MKVI
      04-30-2012 08:10 PM #10
      They ALL fail within months if you're slammed..just can't handle the added stress. UM mounts although don't lower the car...you will not find yourself with sloppy steering a few months down the road.

Vehicles
      JB 20th 0440, 1987 Audi 4kq, 1998 Yukon, 1969 Datsun 2000
      04-30-2012 08:12 PM #11

What's the point then? Stick with factory MK4 stuff. It's not going to ride any different. You might think it does because of the placebo factor that you changed something, but in reality the difference will be neglible.
      I was thinking more along the lines of suspension travel. Not slamming the bump stops at every bump. Then again it probably makes no difference like you said. I don't really know it just sounded good.
      Bring back our SuperSonics
      GO HAWKS! 12th Man!

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and EVO VII RS
      04-30-2012 09:26 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 10-25 View Post
      They ALL fail within months if you're slammed..just can't handle the added stress. UM mounts although don't lower the car...you will not find yourself with sloppy steering a few months down the road.
      I was just coming back in here to state that. I've gone through brand new OEM bushings in a few months. It's the game, pay to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzydub View Post
      I was thinking more along the lines of suspension travel. Not slamming the bump stops at every bump. Then again it probably makes no difference like you said. I don't really know it just sounded good.
      Yea, maybe. Like I said, the difference would probably be negligible, as yea, you get a slightly more compliant shock, but the Audi 90 bushings are more stiff, so they kind of offset each other.