Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Daily drivers chime in please.

Vehicles
      Mkvi Gti, B5 passat wagon
      04-30-2012 01:56 PM #1
      So within the next week or so my car will be on air, I daily drive my car and need it to get to work at around 70 miles round trip. My question is assuming everything is installed correctly and I perform my routine maintenance how reliable is an air ride setup? , how many miles have you guys logged without major repairs to the system?

Parts being installed,
      Accuair 5 gal skinny alluminum tank
      Airlift slam series fronts
      Airhouse 2 rears w/ dorbitz cups
      3/8 " line
      Switch speed management
      Duel viair 400c comps
      Smc water traps

Vehicles
      2003 1.8t Jetta
      04-30-2012 02:01 PM #2
      assuming everything is installed correctly are your key words, your setup should last indefinitely as long as you take care of it. Checking all fittings and connections for leaks regularly is a good idea, keeping some extra relays and whatnot in the trunk just in case you have some electrical problem also doesn't hurt.

Trucks that are air ride equipped beat on their setups daily with no issues, so yes it's possible just take care of everything.

I've seen some people such as Clean PG also do some awesome preventative stuff for cold weather, such as running lines in wire loom, and putting plastic bags over the bags themselves to protect them.

user water traps correctly and keep your system clean and you'll be just fine

Vehicles
      2003 1.8t Jetta
      04-30-2012 02:02 PM #3
      Plus, you already made one good move with 2 compressors in case one fails.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 03:54 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by skateaholic247 View Post
      Plus, you already made one good move with 2 compressors in case one fails.
      Yeah i opted to spend a little extra upfront and order quility parts and duel comps instead of having headaches later.

5. 04-30-2012 04:11 PM #5
      I also assume that this is going in your mk6 I have air house 2's as well in my mk4 so it is also a rear beam. I had to trim the beam between the strut mount and spring cup. not a big deal. This just keep it from rubbing. No experience with a mk6 but take a look at it.
      USELESS
      WESTSIDE

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 04:22 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by justmalpica View Post
      I also assume that this is going in your mk6 I have air house 2's as well in my mk4 so it is also a rear beam. I had to trim the beam between the strut mount and spring cup. not a big deal. This just keep it from rubbing. No experience with a mk6 but take a look at it.
      Will do, thanks

Vehicles
      2015 Autobahn GTI / 2010 GTI (Totaled) / 2007 GLI (Sold)
      04-30-2012 04:38 PM #7
      just install it right the first time and you'll be good. keep up with regular maintenance too.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 04:52 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Nuts View Post
      just install it right the first time and you'll be good. keep up with regular maintenance too.
      Besides checking/emptying the water traps what should be included In Regular maintenance ?

Vehicles
      2003 1.8t Jetta
      04-30-2012 05:05 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Rpc07 View Post
      Besides checking/emptying the water traps what should be included In Regular maintenance ?
      checking for signs of wear, such as kinks or scuff marks on air lines, and be sure to inspect the bags for signs of rubbing.

Also, be careful when putting your car on lifts or jackstands. I know there's a recent forum somewhere, and it seems like the consensus is to have minimal pressure in the bags when putting the car on a lift, like 10-20 psi. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

04-30-2012 05:20 PM #10
      checking for signs of wear, such as kinks or scuff marks on air lines, and be sure to inspect the bags for signs of rubbing.

Also, be careful when putting your car on lifts or jackstands. I know there's a recent forum somewhere, and it seems like the consensus is to have minimal pressure in the bags when putting the car on a lift, like 10-20 psi. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
      Air up, put jack under jacking point, air down onto it.

Vehicles
      2015 Autobahn GTI / 2010 GTI (Totaled) / 2007 GLI (Sold)
      04-30-2012 05:28 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Rpc07 View Post
      This.

Also draining the tank. I drain my trap and tank about every 2 or 3 weeks.

Vehicles
      2003 1.8t Jetta
      04-30-2012 05:33 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by MechEngg View Post
      Air up, put jack under jacking point, air down onto it.
      and how many compressors does this require? 3 if I'm not mistaken right?

Lol just joking, but thanks for chiming in.

04-30-2012 05:40 PM #13
      and how many compressors does this require? 3 if I'm not mistaken right?

Lol just joking, but thanks for chiming in.
      Yup, to pull off this complex maneuver you need at least triple OB2's

Empty your water traps every month at most, use water absorbing antifreeze in the bottom of your tanks to prevent freezing in the winters, and might be a good idea to wrap your bags and any lines under your car for the winter. Or do copper hardlines under the car for the winter

Vehicles
      CC with broken suspension.
      05-01-2012 11:38 AM #14
      ive put somewhere around 70k on my setup, through multiple winters, only thing ive replaced because of it breaking was a compressor, which is why i like having two, not for speed, so if one ****s the bed i have a back up.

i have asco valves
      switchspeed ECU and controller
      dual viair 400 pumps
      2nd gen masontech fronts
      AAC firestone rears
      3/8 line.

05-01-2012 12:14 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by blue bags View Post
      ive put somewhere around 70k on my setup, through multiple winters, only thing ive replaced because of it breaking was a compressor, which is why i like having two, not for speed, so if one ****s the bed i have a back up.

i have asco valves
      switchspeed ECU and controller
      dual viair 400 pumps
      2nd gen masontech fronts
      AAC firestone rears
      3/8 line.
      For the sake of discussion would you mind telling me a bit more about how your compressor failed? Specifically: did it happened all at once or if it was gradually putting out less over time? Was it summer or winter when it failed? Was the failure at compressor startup or had it been running for a long time? Was it the check valve that failed and caused the piston ring to blow out? This will all help to determine what the root cause of these failures is and then I am going to take some time to think about it and see if there is a solution to make them not fail so often....

Vehicles
      Bagged GTI
      05-01-2012 12:38 PM #16
      I drive mine 100+ miles a day only leak I have is in the tank and Its from the ppoopy parker psi water trap. Should be good as long as you check everything now and then. Install is key
      @gtijoey

Vehicles
      Bagged Galactic Blue Wolfsburg
      05-01-2012 12:48 PM #17
      Accuair management
      Airlift XL's and rear sleeves
      single 380c
      SMC Watertrap

no leaks what so ever
      20 miles daily to newark( pothole heaven) and back
      only maintenance i do is dump the water out of the water trap once per 3-4 months
      |Build Thread| Awesome New Picture Thread| AccuAir | Air Zenith | Airlift | Bag Riders |

18. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
      05-01-2012 12:52 PM #18
      Proper install + alignment and you'll be good to go.

Vehicles
      hoopty on air
      05-01-2012 01:14 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Tofik View Post
      Accuair management
      Airlift XL's and rear sleeves
      single 380c
      SMC Watertrap

no leaks what so ever
      20 miles daily to newark( pothole heaven) and back
      only maintenance i do is dump the water out of the water trap once per 3-4 months
      I second the pothole heaven. I was there over the weekend for a red bulls match and was about to kill myself in order to end the pothole madness. Didn't get my air installed in time and had to drive it on coils. F M L!!!! never kicked myself in the butt so hard for not getting something installed.
      Insert witty quote

Vehicles
      hoopty on air
      05-01-2012 01:16 PM #20
      and take a look through here, might want to throw some of these items in your trunk

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ntenance-Tools
      Insert witty quote

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 02:43 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Niagara_V_Dub View Post
      and take a look through here, might want to throw some of these items in your trunk

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ntenance-Tools
      Awesome thread I will deff. Be adding some of these things to my emergency kit.

Vehicles
      Tow truck
      05-01-2012 03:44 PM #22
      I couldnt imagine wrapping your bags and lines in the winter being a good idea. I'd imagine it would trap in the damaging substances we are trying to keep off.

Water traps fo sho tho.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus
      Don't bomb threads with any variation of any combination of letters, numbers, words, phrases, icons, smilies, memes, pictures, videos or any other sort of post.
      Maintenance is paramount.
      GTS 3071R l Eurokraft Performance
      PM for Powdercoating

05-01-2012 03:57 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      I couldnt imagine wrapping your bags and lines in the winter being a good idea. I'd imagine it would trap in the damaging substances we are trying to keep off.

Water traps fo sho tho.
      How come not wrapping the lines? Stops debris from taking gashes out of the lines and lowering their pressure holding abilities. The lines all stay in one spot other than the leader lines which are stainless braided so those are okay....i have wire loomed my lines just for a bit of protection, my next thought is to put the lines inside 1/2" lines for extra durability

And now that i think of it trapping moisture and contaminents against the bag rubber material might not be the best idea ever...might be best to just leave them as they are

Vehicles
      CC with broken suspension.
      05-01-2012 09:06 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by MechEngg View Post
      For the sake of discussion would you mind telling me a bit more about how your compressor failed? Specifically: did it happened all at once or if it was gradually putting out less over time? Was it summer or winter when it failed? Was the failure at compressor startup or had it been running for a long time? Was it the check valve that failed and caused the piston ring to blow out? This will all help to determine what the root cause of these failures is and then I am going to take some time to think about it and see if there is a solution to make them not fail so often....
      I found it by realizing one compressor wasnt getting as hot, and making terrible noises. just didnt sound right from what i was used to, unscrewed it from the tank, felt no air flow while it was running, swapped the leader line to see if the check valve was junk, still nothing. didnt look into it any further. I bought them brand new jan 2009, so it got me through tons of miles and 3 years i wasnt worried about replacing it. I ended up just replacing it with an extra 380 we had laying around at the house. and like i said, the one worked fine, i just like having two just in case!