Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Born 2 Race: Reviewed

Vehicles
      '06 Cooper S (#squaresidewallcrew), LS400 drift car
      04-30-2012 02:38 PM #1
      So I just finished watching the film by our fellow Vortexer and these are my thoughts. I'll try to be as gentle as I can as I know you've probably poured a lot of yourself into this.

Being that the film appeals to me through 2 different fronts, being a film lover, and a automotive enthusiast it is difficult to seperate those 2 opinions from each other sometimes so I'll do my best to give feedback seperately.

As a film, I was thoroughly impressed. I've never seen any of the writer, or the directors other films and from their IMDB pages it seems like this is their first full length feature film in those respective roles. For being a straight to retail film, it was very good. I have spent wasted hours watching straight to DVD, or straight to TV movies and most of them are generally hot garbage with bad acting, ****ty sets, bad film quality, and many more things that really take you away from the atmosphere.

Visual-
      I watched this on my iPad and granted everything on Netflix app looks good, it looked really good. There weren't any times that I noticed the shot was out of focus, even slightly. The camera work was really well done. The angles were great, some were even pretty genius. The stop slo-motion at certain points was great. Helped to highlight some aspects that normal people probably wouldn't know about. The lighting was great. A lot of times if I watch stuff on my iPad during the day and its night shots in the movie its usually very difficult to see whats really going on. Had no issues with that. Also didn't notice any noise which is a really good thing because I'm a stickler for high quality visuals in movies.

Costume
      The costume department also did good. Nothing outrageous or stupid, but they definitely did a good job giving the actors a proper feel of their age with those stupid bright colored high tops, and typical high schooler clothes (i.e; hoodies, button ups, skinnies, etc.)

Product Placement
      Product placement was done well. It wasn't really done in an obnoxious way. If one was, I'd have to say it was Pep Boys, but thats for reasons that I'll explain in the "Car Guy" aspect of the review.

Sound
      The soundtrack was fitting to the film as well. The songs chosen really fit around their respective scenes well to help set proper atmosphere. The sound editing was overall not bad. I had a few gripes about some sounds edited in...but thats "Car Guy" complaints. Sound effects, actors, and ambient sounds were all in check.

The settings were nice, I did enjoy them. From the canyon's to the small city streets at night to the school to the race track. All relatable nice locations which definitely helps add that sense of realism to possible past experiences.

Effects
      Holy **** dude, for a small film they have a good enough budget to wreck some nice cars. Not to mention the quality of cars in the film, they're really nice, but the Mustang wreck is one of the best wrecks I've seen in a very long time. I'd go as far to say as it trumps the FnF1 charger wreck. There aren't any visible cables or anything so I'm guessing it was actually driven by a person...balls of f*****g titanium! GREAT JOB ON THAT SHOT!!

Acting
      Now comes time for one of the films bigger let downs, some of the acting. Before anything is said, I'd just like to say F***. Danny's mom (Sherry Stringfield) is a cougar and a half! His girlie is hawt as phuck as well. Back to the acting though, there were times where it felt forced and not fluid. One example in particular is his asian friend in the beginning Mikey. The entire time he's telling Danny not to race it feels very unnatural. The scene at the locker after Danny meets Jessica is another one. It feels like Danny is forced to say half his lines.

Some of the mannerisms some of the characters do (primarily Jake's blonde friend) seem way over the top. I don't know if he's suppose to be, but most of the time when the camera pan's across and you see his face he it seems like he's having a full retard moment.

Now the fight scene with Danny and Jake was bauce, because for once the protagonist finally BEATS THE **** out of the main rival/villian. Oh man that was great.

Casting
      For being a small budget film, there were certainly some decent actors. Father was one of the best, with Jake coming in a close second at playing an excellent douchebag. I must admit, as soon as I saw Jake roll up in the rustang he looked like a James Franco Jr with a pineapple express face. I lol'd. But that was only after I saw this mothertrucker...lololololol.

So back to the cast, good choice, though I hate how now a days it seems that every high schooler depicted in a movie or on tv looks like they're a college senior.

Script
      Understanding that the film needs to appeal to a broad audience, I though it was good. It does its best to appeal to both audiences, and I can't take that away from it. My only wish is that it was a bit cleaner in its transitions from scene to scene. Some jump abruptly and while it is expected that that will be the next scene, you're caught off guard with how sudden it just changes.

Overall, I enjoyed the film. If I had to grade it on a scale of 1-10, 10 being Shawshank or Empire(Star Wars Ep VI for you film n00bs), and 1 being Speed Racer or Red Tails (The people responsible for these films, especially Red Tails, should given cancer, or an equally horrible terminal illness)...well I can't. To borrow Spill's rating system for a minute, I'd say this film easily deserves a Matinee at the very least. Watching that Mustang bite the sh*t at the end alone is worth the 6 bucks to me. Absolutely awesome wreck.

Congratulations on your full length feature ICIN. I hope you get to make many more as you are substantially more skilled than a lot of rejects (**** you Anthony Hemingway and John Ridley) that are given millions upon millions of dollar budgets to make films that are an insult.

This took a lot longer than I thought it would, and I'm at work so I'll try to get to the 2nd half, the "Car Guy's" point of view tonight if not tomorrow. Again, .
      Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City PD View Post
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 02:38 PM #2
      So now I'll express my thoughts from my car nuts side of it.

-Compared to everything else in the market, this is probably one of the better if not the best movies for a car guy, between the terminology and the realism, though I still have a few gripes that I think could have been dealt with whilst not effecting its target market.

-One thing I thought was cool probably flew completely over the head of the non car enthusiast is the hottie love interest driving a standard Porsche. In my eyes I see as most people not even paying attention to that, but we car guys know chicks earn major points when they DD a 6spd, let alone a 6spd Porsche , so nice touch with that one. Plus the 986 is a bit of a TCL darling, maybe not as much as the Miata or S2000, but still enough to earn you brownie points with them lol.

-Another thing which could only be understood by someone with mechanical experience or knowledge was the comment about the poly mounts shaking I believe the CAS loose. Even people who have that "basic" car know how that do their own oil changes and stuff more than likely don't know what a poly mount is, or how it differs from stock rubber mounts on the durometer. A couple of other technical mumbo jumbo and names where thrown around which I caught and which wouldn't effect the film viewing experience for the people that are not in the tuning scene, or car scene.

-Stop slo motion cameras capturing the tire flex and expansion of the slicks on the old muscle car (nova, chevelle?) was pretty cool. I have seen that in videos before on youtube, but the typical person probably wouldn't know that they are they deflated on purpose and the tires stretch and flex that much on launch.

-The old Tacoma/T100 on RPF1's...awesome.

-The electric cutout's on the Grand National, or Type T whatever it is (I'm not a domestic guy) was as well, awesome. I'm sure the typical film viewer can relate that to making more power just through a generic logistic's stand point, Noise = power. We car guys know whats up with a shorter less restrictive exhaust on a high boost turbo application.

-The quarter mile times seem to be accurate. 9.98 @ 141 is an accurate trap speed for that time and awd platform as is 10.07 @ 139 for a rwd car, however those times are attributed to being on slicks which neither of the cars are so they would of ran slower times at higher traps. The Mustang was running 18's at least and to the best of my knowledge they don't make slicks for wheels that large.

-Another discrepancy I noticed was his girlie ordering a GT40 for the car from ESX, only for the STi to be running the stock top mount when they close the hood and the car sounding like a bolt on STi. Again I know the movie is for the masses, but any car guy knows a 4 banger running a GT40 is going to sound like it runs like garbage at idle, and absolutely bat sh*t crazy under boost. A few more things I noticed were, when he starts the car through the window when his dad fixes the loose sensor connection, it revs upon start up...yet his arm is the only thing in the car turning the key?! Didn't see his dad flipping the throttle body, but I know '04 STi's are the only throttle cable driven year of the car in the US so he might have.

-What did however bother me was the old over used generic car sputtering and breaking down noise. I don't even know what that is because I have never owned a carburated engine in my life (thats a lie, my Ruckus has a 15mm carb trololo), but I imagine that noise that sounds like banging bad bearings and marbles in a box hitting each other is the carb, or a fan or something. If the CEL came on a Subaru, I'd expect to hear it run like garbage and mis-fire like a mother****er as per new age coil on plug electric fan fuel injected vehicles. That was probably my biggest gripe with the discrepancies >.<.

-My last point has to do with Pep Boys. Now I'm not knocking on them, but its more of a question. Are they really that nice and clean and stocked to the brim with quality after market parts out in that side of the country? Here in CT, Pep Boys has a history of being more or less the dump of the auto parts stores. It is always dirty or grimey, sells junk like Spectre or APC, and is generally extremely overpriced compared to Advanced Auto Parts or Napa. The employee's suck and are idiots, and I would NEVER take my vehicle there for anything personally. I buy RTV and oil there..thats about it. If Pep Boys looked like that around here I'd go there to buy everything.

-These final comments are more of a question than anything so maybe you can chime in and explain if they were oriented towards the common folk or what;

-So an Evo X outlaunches a GTR?!!?!?!? Trololololo. A 35r Evo might outrun a bone stock GTR in the quarter, but on the street I can't really see anything outlaunching a GT-R at least not in the 60ft.

-Do people really line up Fast and Furious style like that parked @ 45 degrees along the side of streets to watch drag racing? Only things I've experienced are busted ass Honda's and 15 year old Acura's with wings off small aircraft and mufflers stolen from late 90's motorcycles parked like women along the side of streets whilst the crowds line the street like your racing down a Group B WRC event.

-Finally, why does the STi have not only a monster tach, but a RacePak?! Stock tach goes up to 9 grand and even has a factory shift light. Was the car just done up like that when you got it?!

Again just to plug it again, fantastic wreck scene.
      Last edited by nismo4life; 05-01-2012 at 01:33 PM.
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

3. 04-30-2012 06:30 PM #3
      Thanks, Nismo. I appreciate you taking the time to write a long review. I almost forgot, I did put the Boxster S in there, so there is some German representation. Hope to do more on the next one.
      '07 Cayman S & '03 20AE BMP #226 w/Autotech downpipe, Koni Sports, 28mm RSB, ES dogbone bushings, Sparco heel/toe pedal
      Previous Rides: '04 R32 - '03 20AE - '91 GTI 16V - '84 GTI

Vehicles
      1994/VW/JETTA/GLX 2014/Ford/FIESTA ST
      04-30-2012 07:30 PM #4
      I have this movie and enjoyed it, it's really identical story to tokyo drift, but this was a different setting. The effects where believable, I saw some car movie on netflix which was cheap and could't finish after 15 minutes because the crash was so fake, but this movie did a good job.
      VRSociety #293

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 01:34 PM #5
      Bump for car guy point of view posted in 2nd post.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

05-01-2012 02:02 PM #6
      If you liked this movie, watch Alex's earlier flick- The Last Race.

I actually liked it better, as a car guy.

He also had a mini movie in a hospital that was enjoyable as well.

Still waiting on a link to his caveman movie. Hint hint.

- Josh
      -Josh
      Current- 06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 Gti 24v VR6 | 00 M Roadster | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick | 01 ZRX1200R | 03 KLX400R
      Past- too much too list.

Vehicles
      1994/VW/JETTA/GLX 2014/Ford/FIESTA ST
      05-01-2012 02:14 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      If you liked this movie, watch Alex's earlier flick- The Last Race.

I actually liked it better, as a car guy.

He also had a mini movie in a hospital that was enjoyable as well.

Still waiting on a link to his caveman movie. Hint hint.

- Josh
      Saw the trailer on youtube, i might have to check it out.
      VRSociety #293

8. 05-01-2012 06:00 PM #8
      -Compared to everything else in the market, this is probably one of the better if not the best movies for a car guy

- Cool, thanks!

-The quarter mile times seem to be accurate. 9.98 @ 141 is an accurate trap speed for that time and awd platform as is 10.07 @ 139 for a rwd car, however those times are attributed to being on slicks which neither of the cars are so they would of ran slower times at higher traps. The Mustang was running 18's at least and to the best of my knowledge they don't make slicks for wheels that large.

- We wanted slicks, especially for the Mustang. It was a money and time issue.

-Another discrepancy I noticed was his girlie ordering a GT40 for the car from ESX, only for the STi to be running the stock top mount when they close the hood and the car sounding like a bolt on STi.

- Yup, we know... Unfortunately the 2 cars we were able to get were modded, but still running the stock IC. Didn't have the time to swap to a front mount IC.

What did however bother me was the old over used generic car sputtering and breaking down noise.

- That was a time issue. We did a lot of other car sounds that were 100% real, but we didn't have time to get this one.

-My last point has to do with Pep Boys. Now I'm not knocking on them, but its more of a question. Are they really that nice and clean and stocked to the brim with quality after market parts out in that side of the country? ... If Pep Boys looked like that around here I'd go there to buy everything.

Yes, that is a real Pep Boys we shot at, with all those aftermarket parts. It's in Downtown Los Angeles and it sells legit race parts and equipment.

-So an Evo X outlaunches a GTR?!!?!?!? Trololololo. A 35r Evo might outrun a bone stock GTR in the quarter, but on the street I can't really see anything outlaunching a GT-R at least not in the 60ft.

To make a long story short, those were the two cars we had to use for that scene, and yeah it's not totally realistic. Time issue, again. But... I recently witnessed a modded 2000ish 911 Turbo spank a modded 10 sec GT-R in a drag race, even in the 60ft. GT-Rs are not invincible.

-Do people really line up Fast and Furious style like that parked @ 45 degrees along the side of streets to watch drag racing?

- This way it's easier to take off when the cops come. It also just looks better on camera. Gotta make some compromises to keep things cinematic.

-Finally, why does the STi have not only a monster tach, but a RacePak?! Stock tach goes up to 9 grand and even has a factory shift light. Was the car just done up like that when you got it?!

- Yeah, yeah I know. I don't even remember how we ended up with both.

Again just to plug it again, fantastic wreck scene.

Thanks, and yes there was a stunt guy driving that car. Thanks again for taking the time to write all this. Man, you're picky!
      '07 Cayman S & '03 20AE BMP #226 w/Autotech downpipe, Koni Sports, 28mm RSB, ES dogbone bushings, Sparco heel/toe pedal

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 06:55 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ICIN235 View Post
      - Yup, we know... Unfortunately the 2 cars we were able to get were modded, but still running the stock IC. Didn't have the time to swap to a front mount IC.

Ahh, I was figuring it was a budget problem or something, but its nothing major. Only something someone super anal would pick up like me .

-Yes, that is a real Pep Boys we shot at, with all those aftermarket parts. It's in Downtown Los Angeles and it sells legit race parts and equipment.

Interesting...maybe I should fire an email corporates way. I would love a nice assortment of quality things in my area and a much less grimey store.

-To make a long story short, those were the two cars we had to use for that scene, and yeah it's not totally realistic. Time issue, again. But... I recently witnessed a modded 2000ish 911 Turbo spank a modded 10 sec GT-R in a drag race, even in the 60ft. GT-Rs are not invincible.

Not invincible, but not likely. Hey I gotta defend my moniker every once in a while right?

- This way it's easier to take off when the cops come. It also just looks better on camera. Gotta make some compromises to keep things cinematic.

Being a photographer I can understand this. Much more appealing to the eyes than having people park just wherever.

Thanks, and yes there was a stunt guy driving that car. Thanks again for taking the time to write all this. Man, you're picky!
      Absolutely man, I thoroughly enjoyed it so it was definitely worth it . Now what's this I hear about The Last Race?! Where can I watch it?

Also, being that I have luxury of speaking to a films director, how long did this project take to complete from script/casting to release date?
      '09 Honda Ruckus

10. 05-01-2012 08:24 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
      Absolutely man, I thoroughly enjoyed it so it was definitely worth it . Now what's this I hear about The Last Race?! Where can I watch it?

Also, being that I have luxury of speaking to a films director, how long did this project take to complete from script/casting to release date?
      The Last Race is up on YouTube and google video. Easy to find.
      From the moment they bought the script to a final movie was 6 months, which is very fast.

<<-Another discrepancy I noticed was his girlie ordering a GT40 for the car from ESX, only for the STi to be running the stock top mount when they close the hood and the car sounding like a bolt on STi. >>

Champion drag racer Ali Afshar has just informed me that running 10s on a stock IC is totally possible. Brent Rau, the fastest Mitsubishi in the world, even runs without an IC.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 10:09 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ICIN235 View Post
      The Last Race is up on YouTube and google video. Easy to find.
      From the moment they bought the script to a final movie was 6 months, which is very fast.

<<-Another discrepancy I noticed was his girlie ordering a GT40 for the car from ESX, only for the STi to be running the stock top mount when they close the hood and the car sounding like a bolt on STi. >>

Champion drag racer Ali Afshar has just informed me that running 10s on a stock IC is totally possible. Brent Rau, the fastest Mitsubishi in the world, even runs without an IC.
      Technically that is true yes, but consistency would fly out the window. Also the general issue on Subaru's is the lack of space. A larger turbo setup requires more space which the car barely has since the engine bay is already so compact so on the larger turbos they tend to go with rotated setups which changes the axis of the turbo. GT40's themselves are MASSIVE too. These are some examples of rotated setups.

Pictured here is a 30R.

Ignore the rotated intake manifold. This is done for substantially shorter charge pipes when running a front or v mount intercooler setup. Now imagine this GT40 running a stock top mount This thing is straight up beast status.

And awesome, I'll try and watch it tomorrow during work .
      Last edited by nismo4life; 05-01-2012 at 10:12 PM.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      05-15-2012 03:32 PM #12
      My brother told me about this Friday night and I am actually watching it now.

46 minutes in and it's not bad at all.