Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YUUUP!

1. 04-30-2012 05:54 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      So true. But Darrell is probably the worst one in the group about this, really. I love how they post the "final results" at the end and it's all based on what they claim that the crap is worth. Just because they SAY they can get 2 grand for something doesn't mean they did or even will find someone to pay 2 grand for it. Even when they get it appraised at the local all knowing expert on jade tiger dropping replicas, that doesn't immediately mean they will get that exact amount for it.

But even knowing this, I am like the rest of the people in here. I can't just watch the beginning of an episode and not see the end. Hell, I have been sucked into 4-5 hour marathons of this crap a couple of different times.

2. 04-30-2012 05:55 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      Do all storage places have auctions like this?

How do you find out about these locally? I'd totally go any bid on a box...

I talked to a guy who used to do this, but stopped shortly after the show began airing. He said it profitability all but vanished when 500 people started showing up for every auction.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      04-30-2012 05:56 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I talked to a guy who used to do this, but stopped shortly after the show began airing. He said it profitability all but vanished when 500 people started showing up for every auction.
      500 people like me...

*******s.
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

04-30-2012 05:59 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      They're in the paper every weekend. Now at the local uhaul and self-storage complexes down the street, it is OBVIOUS when the auction day is because the parking lots in front are packed. I know the owner of one complex who said they're all full of ****. Absolute ****. He found a no-title no-start ducati something or other once - but even that find wouldn't cover all of the dumpster fees that come out of these units.

5. 04-30-2012 06:02 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      They're in the paper every weekend. Now at the local uhaul and self-storage complexes down the street, it is OBVIOUS when the auction day is because the parking lots in front are packed. I know the owner of one complex who said they're all full of ****. Absolute ****. He found a no-title no-start ducati something or other once - but even that find wouldn't cover all of the dumpster fees that come out of these units.
      http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=8633780

this isn't bad.

having said that, I still wouldn't go and do this. Seems like there isn't much money in it, unless you're like Barry and don't care.

6. 04-30-2012 06:03 PM #41
      Also, anyone notice the BIG difference between the profits on this show, and that other show with the 2 guys in the ice cream truck? They always have a big score, while some of the people on Storage Wars actually lose money. Usually at least 1 person per episode.

04-30-2012 06:04 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by PolskiHetzen View Post
      http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=8633780

this isn't bad.

having said that, I still wouldn't go and do this. Seems like there isn't much money in it, unless you're like Barry and don't care.
      THAT one isn't, but for every one of those - you've got hundreds or thousands of old clothes, old matresses, and broken electronics that someone decided to store rather than trash/donate.

Vehicles
      Scoob Crosstrek
      04-30-2012 06:29 PM #43
      Also, anyone notice the BIG difference between the profits on this show, and that other show with the 2 guys in the ice cream truck? They always have a big score, while some of the people on Storage Wars actually lose money. Usually at least 1 person per episode.
      Auction Hunters is cool too, but they gotta tone down the cheese. It's brutal sometimes.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      2003 Civic SiR
      04-30-2012 06:54 PM #44
      It's pretty much fake/scripted. Storage Wars, although the producers probably script a few things is at least legit with what they find in the lockers.

Vehicles
      3 Volkswagens!
      04-30-2012 07:00 PM #45
      Stupid show..........its only them bidding on the lockers, everyone else must be the crew.
      I have been to storage auctions, you can get lockers for cheap, the show is out to make ratings, so they're gonna hype it up!

And if I watch it, of course its for Brandi!
      Vamped Tuning! Scrappy Dubs!

04-30-2012 07:53 PM #46

Barry is my fav. Reminds me of Jack Nicholson with the way he talks. I like his "dont give a $%^%^" attitude.
      XBL: Skip Fourplay

GO SHARKS!!!

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      04-30-2012 08:30 PM #47
      More pix of Brandi and her twins, please...
      :gift:

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      04-30-2012 08:38 PM #48

Whoops wrong show

Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      04-30-2012 08:53 PM #49
      I coulda sworn at the end the totals represent the actual cash brought in v the valuation they apply when they're unloading.

Vehicles
      89 Cabriolet, 89 Jetta 03 A6 Avant, 08 Tribeca, 2012 powerwheels Jeep
      04-30-2012 09:57 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      I'm a big fan of Brandy's tits. They appear to be really cool tits.
      I'm a titty expert. If she'd like to bring them by for me to check out, I'll tell her what they're worth.
      I'll bid on them too. I'd be willing to drop quite a load on them.
      Sent from my Droid using an escape pod to Tattoine.

Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      they're trying to skip out on their contracts via rapture. not very christian of them

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      04-30-2012 10:00 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      I'm a titty expert. If she'd like to bring them by for me to check out, I'll tell her what they're worth.
      I'll bid on them too. I'd be willing to drop quite a load on them.
      well done
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

Vehicles
      06 GTI UM Tuned
      04-30-2012 10:23 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      I don't disagree with any of that except the dump as rocks thing. Listen to him talk, he's dumb as rocks. That or he's the best actor on the planet and they should have given him the Forrest Gump role. Actually there are some sedimentary classes of rocks that I've give a fighting chance on an IQ test against him.
      haha your right after watching a few more clips i forgot he talks like a retard

Vehicles
      89 Cabriolet, 89 Jetta 03 A6 Avant, 08 Tribeca, 2012 powerwheels Jeep
      04-30-2012 10:26 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaGT8V80 View Post
      haha your right after watching a few more clips i forgot he talks like a retard
      That's a thirty dollar bill right there.
      Sent from my Droid using an escape pod to Tattoine.

Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      they're trying to skip out on their contracts via rapture. not very christian of them

05-01-2012 02:48 AM #54
      I would take Laura any day over Brandi. Laura would be fun in the sack. It's to bad she is marred to that blockhead.

05-01-2012 03:09 AM #55
      shes all yours budday
      stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

05-01-2012 03:11 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      That's a thirty dollar bill right there.

He says the dumbest stuff.
      XBL: Skip Fourplay

GO SHARKS!!!

Vehicles
      2008 Mazdaspeed 3
      05-01-2012 10:16 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by finklejag View Post
      I would take Laura any day over Brandi. Laura would be fun in the sack. It's to bad she is marred to that blockhead.

"And don't forget to pay the lady"
      My legend dates back to the 12th Century you see. My legend is quite old. The 12th Century was a long time ago. It was summer and so cold from the snow because it was actually winter or maybe it was Monday. It could have been a Thursday or possibly a Saturday or was it Tuesday though it could have been Wednesday or a Monday.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      05-01-2012 10:28 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by DISI 2.3T View Post
      "And don't forget to pay the lady"
      folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

24. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      91 GTI 1.8t, 07 Rabbit
      05-01-2012 12:03 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6GTI72 View Post
      Barry is my fav. Reminds me of Jack Nicholson with the way he talks. I like his "dont give a $%^%^" attitude.
      x2

Everytime I catch this show I get sucked in.
      Quote Originally Posted by VikingVR6GTI View Post
      Yep, that was my first thought too. A nice set does not automatically make a chick attractive. Especially when that "chick" is a dude.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      05-01-2012 12:19 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      Do all storage places have auctions like this?

How do you find out about these locally? I'd totally go any bid on a box...
      Yes they do. I just rented a storage locker for my company. Manager made me sign acknowledging that if the rent isn't paid for 90 days, it goes to auction. I was half tempted to stack cardboard boxes in the front with labels like "Extra Diamonds", "Dull Kruegerands", and "Wrinkled 100's" just to screw with the bidders.

Little would they know all there was behind those boxes would be about $400 of warehouse racks.

26. 05-01-2012 12:24 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by DISI 2.3T View Post
      Wiki says:
      Darrell Sheets, "The Gambler", appears with his son Brandon. Darrell occasionally clashes with Dave Hester. In one episode, Sheets mocked Hester's business by having his son wear a hat that read "Newport Con Gallery." In another episode, Brandon wore a shirt that simply said, "Rags to Riches and Now and Then Thrift store sucks!". He lives with his wife, son and young granddaughter, Zoe. In episode 30, Darrell said he just went through a divorce. Later in the episode he said "I've got a new woman in my life and she loves jewelry." He stated in a 2011 interview that he has been doing this for 32 years[8] and in a different interview indicated that some of his biggest finds during that time included a sizable comic book collection, four drawings by Pablo Picasso and a letter written by Abraham Lincoln that sold for over $15,000.[9] In a recent highlight episode, Darrell revealed that he once uncovered a plastic-wrapped human corpse in a storage locker. He was interviewed by police and it was determined that the previous owner of the locker had murdered his wife and left her in the unit.

For serious??!!
      I bought a box lot at an auction and inside was a small box that held the cremated remains of someone. It was simply a box with a label on it, labeled "cremated remains" with a plastic liner and ashes.

I left it at the auction house. They likely threw it away.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      05-01-2012 12:24 PM #62
      He found a no-title no-start ducati something or other once - but even that find wouldn't cover all of the dumpster fees that come out of these units.
      My boss scored a 2008 BMW motorcycle at a storage unit auction. Took a while to get a title but he only paid $1900.This was before the shows started.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Vehicles
      08 TR .:R32 | 10 CW EOS
      05-01-2012 01:20 PM #63

OG .:R Owner

ORIOLES | RAVENS

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V, '08 Mazda3 GT
      05-01-2012 02:24 PM #64

Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      05-01-2012 02:37 PM #65
      This, the only reason I watch
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      93 525iT

05-01-2012 03:00 PM #66
      I have a secret desire for Jarrod and Brandi's store to go tango uniform and she has to resort to hitting up Hugh Hefner for a $1mil for her to reveal the sweater puppies to the world.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

32. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      05-01-2012 03:34 PM #67
      I'd never done any storage auctions until '09. At a "good" storage facility, a crowd might be as many as 30 bidders. If you were in a "bad" town or out in the boonies, there might be 5 bidders. Maybe 3-4 months after the shows started, I noticed consistently larger crowds and increasing bidding which drove up prices. I was going to standard live auctions too and "regulars" were bitching mightily about the influx of new people. Unemployment was going up and that likely drove up the crowds also. I don't go to storage auctions anymore.

I found them depressing and likely just broke even on what I got. The main issue for me was storing what you won and getting rid of the junk you don't want. Most storage places will not allow you to use their dumpsters, you have to pack it all out. Further, it needs to be gone ASAP. If you don't have a cube van, things get dicey. The bulk of what I saw was bags/boxes of clothing, Wal-Mart grade bikes, tube TV's, smelly couches, and questionable mattresses. None of which I really wanted to haul away or deal with. The only ones I would go after were ones with tools or obvious antiques. Tool lots always got bids but people tended to be skittish on antiques so I got a few of those lockers before things got nuts. Could there have been good things hidden in amongst the broken furniture and garbage bags full of old Tupperware? Sure. But I would bet most times not. If you had a locker and it had real valuables in it and, you knew you were going to stiff the rent, wouldn't you go back and get the high-value stuff before you walked?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12