Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: parts interchangeability thread/junkyard tuning

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      04-30-2012 03:14 PM #1
      Hey all,

I was hoping we could have a thread that pointed out little differences here and there for different parts around our cars. i have noticed there is a lot greater parts diversity in Mk3s than the Mk2s I'm used to.

Borne from these (some helpful info for Mk3 too):
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...unkyard+tuning
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...d-Tuning/page7

here are some examples I've found:

side molding- all texture molding is held with clips, and most painted molding is held with tape. Except the 1994 Jetta GLX, which has painted, clipped 4 door molding, and Mk3.5 Cabrios, which have painted, clipped 2 door molding.

dashes- it seems pretty common knowledge, but to have a fully thought out thread, I'll include it. Early Jettas came with "Vento" dashes with light up vent on/off flaps (beaver and black). Then there's the "normal" mk3 dash (also available in beaver and black), and the dimple dash from Mk3.5 Cabrios (black only). Upper and lower glove boxes can be installed with slight mods into any car, though no dimple dash ever had an upper glove box. Cabrio 3.5 has plastic dash grilles with a frame, the rest seem to be metal?

speakers- early Jettas had the speakers in the rear doors, like Golfs, and later Jettas moved them up to the shelf. But all Jettas have the holes in the shelf, so you could, theoretically, swap in the rear door cards or shelf, to get an extra pair of speakers in a car that doesn't have them. Also, you can swap the handle molding from the rear doors to the front (you'll lose mirror controls) to get extra tweeters in the front doors, making for a total possible 14 speaker locations in a Jetta, 10 in a Golf.

o**** handles- There is a smooth style, and a style with a lower "trim" near the mounts. Same with the Black Passat handles that swap right in. The B3, and B4 will both fit like factory, but they are slightly different look wise, in the same way the Mk3 are.

Passat B3 domelights are black, and will fit in a non sunroof Mk3 with a pigtail swap.

The late SLC Corrado sunroof switch, is the same style as the early 94 Mk3 sunroof switch, just in black, and sells for ALOT secondhand. Upwards of $200 sometimes.

switches- Cabrio 3.5s have red lighted switches (obviously), but they also have the center mounted hazard switch. it seems all you need to swap to that switch style is the switch, and dash and column harness. You'll also need the 3.5 column clamshell, but it might be different for immobilizer cars? All early cars got 3 position switches. 93-early 94, and the GLX and Golf Sport/LE, and Cabrio of those years also came with a 3 position with Fog switch. They also got Bubble style AC and Defrost switches, and all the other switches are a different construction then the 95+ switches, that are PCB board based, instead of just resistor based.

misc interior- black Cabrio sunvisors fit right into other Mk3s, a Passat B4 above-mirror block-off can clip into a Mk3 header panel, Cabrio 3.5 chrome door handles, ebrake button, and shift knob are all Mk4 style, Cabrio 3.5 locks are laser cut (like Mk4), not sure if there's an alarm module that will work though? Corrado sunroof control/dome light in black fits Mk3. Mk3.5 3 spoke wheels fit in any Mk3, and the airbag is exactly the same as the same style Mk4 wheel. The Mk4 wheel fits as well, with literally 5mins of modification. The 3.5 wheel is WAY WAY overpriced.

engine- Mk4 12v and 8v parts are pretty much all bolt on, any specific upgrades besides intakes? Mk2 metal flanges can be an upgrade if you get the sensors to work too. For A PS delete on ABA< run a VR6 waterpump pulley. The clip caps found on Mk3 injectors, and coils (2 and 3 pin respectively), can fit on almost anything in the engine bay, and hides the little bit of colored wire for a clean look. Mk4 throttle plug caps can be scavenged for the OBD2 Mk3 throttle plug. AEG exhaust manifold is tubular and bolts onto ABA's, The Mk4 12v manifold requires very little modification to be fitted, and just a RPM window switch to have the shift rod active.

brakes- all brakes are swappable pretty much. 9.4 on Canadian 1.8, 10.1 on ABA, 11 on early VR6 and 11.3 on late VR6. Rear disc aluminum calipers can come from Mk4 or late B5/B5.5 Passat, A4's ect ect., and Cabrio 3.5s have the hoses stock.

More!
      Last edited by VDub2625; 05-17-2012 at 02:52 PM.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 07:12 PM #2
      Bump, any info? I changed the detail about the dash grille, apparently it's the non-dimple dash that had the metal grilles, and the dimple dashes got special framed plastic ones.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      95 VW Jetta
      05-01-2012 07:22 PM #3
      i am not sure which models have this but my gl has a cup holder on the back of the center console but some have a small storage compartment or something on the back. i will try and figure out exactly what it is

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 08:03 PM #4
      Oh yeah, the rear consoles. The vast majority of Mk3s have the lockable cubby, with rear cupholder and ashtray. Some have a short console with just an ashtray like a B3 passat, and some have exposed rear cupholders. Good one!

Here's the cupholder I think you have...

Is there a rear ashtray? Any other storage besides the open spot near the cup?

I also forgot to mention that with a dimple dash, the kneebar/glove box, door pockets, and center console are different from a standard Mk3. They use a grain texture instead of a leather texture. I have to track some down! Oddly, the kick panels and seat plastics are all leather texture like every other Mk3...
      Last edited by VDub2625; 05-01-2012 at 08:09 PM.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      95 VW Jetta
      05-01-2012 08:09 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      Oh yeah, the rear consoles. The vast majority of Mk3s have the lockable cubby, with rear cupholder and ashtray. Some have a short console wioth just an ashtray like a B3 passat, and some have exposed rear cupholders. Good one!

Here's the cupholder I think you have...

I also forgot to mention that with a dimple dash, the kneebar/glove box, door pockets, and center console are different from a standard Mk3. They use a grain texture instead of a leather texture. I have to track some down!
      mine is just a plain cup holder that comes out the back of the console instead of the top but what i was talking about was at the junkyard there was one like that. glad i could add some info

Vehicles
      95 VW Jetta
      05-01-2012 08:17 PM #6
      this is what i have. which i need to replace the cup holder because the rubber ring is torn but i can't ever find one intact at a junk yard. can you replace just the fold out part or do you have to replace that whole section of the console?

Vehicles
      95 Passat GLX, 95 Jetta GLX
      05-01-2012 08:26 PM #7
      My 94 glx also has a 3 position headlight switch. I believe this is factory on 94 jetta glx's.

Vehicles
      2 Jettas
      05-01-2012 08:34 PM #8

That rear console came in early mk3s that didn't have air bags in the USA. They do have an ash tray at the bottom, but that's it. It's tall to accommodate the reels for the passive restraint belts.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 01:01 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by mk3jet4life View Post
      this is what i have. which i need to replace the cup holder because the rubber ring is torn but i can't ever find one intact at a junk yard. can you replace just the fold out part or do you have to replace that whole section of the console?
      I know the door, carefully, can be removed. I'm not sure about the swing it cupholder part, I'm sure UT can but it might be easier to replace the console. Look inside for screws. I changed the lock on mine pretty easy, to match the new console to my key.

Good call on the seatbelts, I completely forgot about that. I think later bodies can't even accept passive restraint, as they deleted the b pillar holes to bolt the door frame brave and buckle to?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      2 Jettas
      05-02-2012 01:46 PM #10
      Good call on the seatbelts, I completely forgot about that. I think later bodies can't even accept passive restraint, as they deleted the b pillar holes to bolt the door frame brave and buckle to?

That, I am not sure of. My 95 Jetta had the 2 holes in the doors to add the male clip for the shoulder belt, and I'm fairly certain it has the holes in the b-pillar(door jam area) to add the metal bracket. I haven't looked at later model mk3s for those holes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were removed.

Vehicles
      2 Jettas
      05-02-2012 01:49 PM #11
      Another good thing to add to this thread would be the different manifold options for 2.0 aba motors.

I know there are a few out there. Passats are supposed to be a little larger, late cabrios have no logo(wasn't that in your thread?).. Any others?

There are also several variations of the vr6 intake manifold and manifold cover.

Just some ideas to make this thread even better. Pictures would obviously help.

Vehicles
      95 VW Jetta
      05-02-2012 08:58 PM #12
      thanks
      I know the door, carefully, can be removed. I'm not sure about the swing it cupholder part, I'm sure UT can but it might be easier to replace the console. Look inside for screws. I changed the lock on mine pretty easy, to match the new console to my key.

13. 05-02-2012 09:13 PM #13
      If I remember correctly there is a very rare textured dash that came in dark (Batik maybe?) blue; I've never seen one in person though...

Mike
      "You guys get out, I've got places to go" - Steve Mahan, Google self driving car user #0001. Watch the video on Youtube, it's awesome!!!

Vehicles
      Mk3, EM1
      05-03-2012 11:39 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Blk95VR6 View Post
      If I remember correctly there is a very rare textured dash that came in dark (Batik maybe?) blue; I've never seen one in person though...
      European market only. Won't find those in a yard.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 01:29 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by vastxpunk View Post
      Another good thing to add to this thread would be the different manifold options for 2.0 aba motors.

I know there are a few out there. Passats are supposed to be a little larger, late cabrios have no logo(wasn't that in your thread?).. Any others?

There are also several variations of the vr6 intake manifold and manifold cover.

Just some ideas to make this thread even better. Pictures would obviously help.
      Yes, the manifolds. I know the 00-02 Cabrio has a Mk4-style 2.0 badge, above the VW logo, rather than the Mk3 style badge next to the VW logo. passats only have a big VW logo. I am not sure on size.

All Mk3 (ISV on OBD1, no ISV on OBD2)

Passat (95s might be different from 96-97 becuase of OBD1/2?)

00-02 Cabrio (OBD2 only)

The 00-02 Cabrios also run Mk4 engine management (80 pin vs. 68 pin ECU), and MAF, as well as other things.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 10:35 AM #16
      I forgot to mention another one for Cabby people... the B pillars. 95-99 have the matte black with Karmann logo, 00-02 have shiny black. Definitely helps the look of an all painted body, and blends the pillar with the windows better.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3865900

Also don't forget alarm modules, any Mk3 will swap, I know 97+ Jettas got the remote box (as long as it's plastic and not metal) that plugs and plays with others (except 3.5 Cabrio, those have different boxes, though the 00-02s have an external antenna for better range if you can wire it in).
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 12:34 PM #17
      Another cabby one I just thought of. Apparently none came with a gas flap locker. All you need us the actuator and hose from any other Mk3, and cut the welded shut nipple right near where it mounts. Instant locking cap. The mounting point is there and the flap and rubber is the same.

And a question, did any car ever come with a lighted lower glove box? Europe or anything?
      Last edited by VDub2625; 05-08-2012 at 02:00 PM.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 11:12 PM #18
      Does anyone have any listing of possible warning light panel choices? SO far, i can think of:

blank
      ABS
      ABS/airbag
      airbag

other lights I'm sure fit in somewhere:
      trailer turn signal
      choke

Anything else? Any cars have 3 lights in one?
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      Mk3, EM1
      05-09-2012 11:03 AM #19
      I think the euro-spec Mk3.5 Cabrio has an indicator for the power folding mirrors.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 04:49 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      I think the euro-spec Mk3.5 Cabrio has an indicator for the power folding mirrors.
      They have the button (in the US, only 99.5 highlines, the 00-02s have a blank space), though it does nothing:

I've been meaning to track down where the wire from this button goes... the back of the switch has all the pins full, even the one that the wiring diagram says it shouldn't have. It goes somewhere! It was a (apparently very rare) option in Europe, they planned to bring it to the USA but never did.

I thought of yet another one... this might be a NON-compatible entry though. Cabrios have the mirror mount on the glass lower than GOlfs or Jettas, and the arm that holds the mirror is at a different angle. It's placed in a Cabrio so you can't see the mount behind the mirror at all, from the driver's position.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      '97 GTI 2.0 (v2.0) // '94 Golf 2.slow auto // '83 Rabbit Diesel
      05-10-2012 04:56 PM #21
      This has a potential to be a useful thread but there is alot of information it would need to cover as the amount of varriation in the mk3's is fairly large.

For exampled the trunk pop switch location has 3 possible locations that I have found:

early vento - driverside seat plastic tray

Pre passengerside airbag - inside the upper glove box

Post passengerside airbag - center console near the ebrake

22. 05-10-2012 06:24 PM #22
      I've determined that although the struts are different on the front and rear of mk3 jettas, the coil springs are almost the exact same, its just the front springs have a slightly stiffer compression rate about 150 pounds per inch, as opposed to the back which are about 120 pounds per inch.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 07:02 PM #23
      But they are different sizes?

I did find out that the stock springs from the front of my Cabrio are the exact same (part number) as B3 Passat VR6s.
      A2Resource

24. 05-11-2012 07:47 PM #24
      The dealership website doesn't give specs, but the napa website gives specs for their oem replacement product:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...99&Ntk=Keyword

actually looking closer it says the inner diameter of one spring is 3.5" and the other is 4.5" so maybe they're not dimensionally interchangeable.
      Last edited by aaaaaaaaaa; 05-11-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Vehicles
      95 VW Jetta
      05-11-2012 08:00 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by MYGTI_MA View Post
      This has a potential to be a useful thread but there is alot of information it would need to cover as the amount of varriation in the mk3's is fairly large.

For exampled the trunk pop switch location has 3 possible locations that I have found:

i have seen the center console and upper glove box but i have never seen the driver side seat in the plastic tray. does anybody have a picture?
      mk3=legos for adults

Vehicles
      95 VW Jetta
      05-11-2012 08:13 PM #26
      i don't know if this is something you are looking for but the seats.
      PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
      mk3=legos for adults

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 09:59 PM #27
      It's in the upper glove box diy thread. I'm in my phone so I can't link the pic easily.

A2Resource

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 08:50 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by mk3jet4life View Post
      i have seen the center console and upper glove box but i have never seen the driver side seat in the plastic tray. does anybody have a picture?

here is mine before I installed it.

29. 05-12-2012 01:40 PM #29
      engine- Mk4 12v (...) are pretty much all bolt on
      Nope. LOTS of items are not bolt on. In fact the only thing I know of are the heads, rods, and chains, and only with OBD2 mk3 vr's. That's pretty much it. The block uses different mounts, but may still have the holes for mk3 mounts (not sure.) The intake would be difficult to add to a mk3, because engine management controls an additional flap inside a mk4 upper intake. The lower intake arm would be needed. Even if possible, not a "bolt on" Then you also have to relocate throttle body a bit, nothing impossible. Crank and cam sensors may be interchangeable, but the connectors on most sensors, like maf etc.

Oh these threads
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

Vehicles
      '94 Jetta 2.0 16v
      05-12-2012 02:02 PM #30

I have a non Airbag 94 Jetta, it has the trunk pop in the glovebox.
      Pro Patria

Making power, 4 valves at a time.
      MkIII 16v Club.

Vehicles
      95 VW Jetta
      05-12-2012 03:43 PM #31

here is mine before I installed it.
      thanks
      mk3=legos for adults

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 05:42 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by emkaytree View Post
      Nope. LOTS of items are not bolt on. In fact the only thing I know of are the heads, rods, and chains, and only with OBD2 mk3 vr's. That's pretty much it. The block uses different mounts, but may still have the holes for mk3 mounts (not sure.) The intake would be difficult to add to a mk3, because engine management controls an additional flap inside a mk4 upper intake. The lower intake arm would be needed. Even if possible, not a "bolt on" Then you also have to relocate throttle body a bit, nothing impossible. Crank and cam sensors may be interchangeable, but the connectors on most sensors, like maf etc.

Oh these threads
      Thanks for the correction, leave the douchery at the door. Thank you

I'm quite surprised so much is different. I also wonder if the Mk3 block mounts are still there. They must be, if people get 24vs into older cars. People put AEG Mk4 manifolds on ABAs, so I don't see much of a barrier to the VR manifold swap, except that flap you mentioned. An RPM-controlled relay to flip that flap over would be an awesome addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallad View Post
      I have a non Airbag 94 Jetta, it has the trunk pop in the glovebox.
      Even though MYGTI_MA found one in a junkyard, I'm still not 100% convinced, as it's the ONLY time i've seen it on a seat... it leaves the trunk completely unsecure. It could have been modded from the console fairly easily.

I had to take apart my 3.5's mirror to fix a piece of plastic that was broken, and got confirmation that the housing and everything is all Mk4 (actually, B5 Passat, as they had them first, and it's a 3B0 part number). So, modding in Mk4 mirror caps with side signals will be easy
      Last edited by VDub2625; 05-12-2012 at 05:45 PM.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 05:48 PM #33

Even though MYGTI_MA found one in a junkyard, I'm still not 100% convinced, as it's the ONLY time i've seen it on a seat... it leaves the trunk completely unsecure. It could have been modded from the console fairly easily.
      That was our thinking but if you want I will post close ups of the hole as it would be a VERY clean modification if it was done from the markings on and around the hole. Plus the car it was found on was not modded in the slightest any where else which I would find odd otherwise.

My logic is the same as yours that it makes no sense to put it there because it would leave the trunk totally unlocked.

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 06:08 PM #34
      That was our thinking but if you want I will post close ups of the hole as it would be a VERY clean modification if it was done from the markings on and around the hole. Plus the car it was found on was not modded in the slightest any where else which I would find odd otherwise.

My logic is the same as yours that it makes no sense to put it there because it would leave the trunk totally unlocked.
      It is quite interesting. Unfortunately I broke my laptop a few days ago so I can't check ETKA I may have it installed on a computer here at work though. What's the part number on that plastic?

(btw I was going to change my post to sound a little less "I don't believe you", and more that it just sounded illogical, I'm glad you didn't take it wrong )

Do the regular metal alarm boxes disable the trunk and door lock buttons? In my Cabby it does, but my box is a bit more advanced than regular Mk3s. I would imagine the only way to test would be to get in the car, and roll the window down, lock the door by key, and then try the buttons.
      A2Resource

35. 05-13-2012 01:46 AM #35

grab handles- I think there are 2 kinds of grab handles I saw in the junkyard?

There is a smooth style, and a style with a lower "trim" near the mounts.

Same with the Black Passat handles that swap right in. The B3, and B4 will both fit like factory, but they are slightly different look wise, in the same way the Mk3 are.

Also, Passat B3 domelights are black, and will fit in a non sunroof Mk3 with a pigtail swap.

The late SLC Corrado sunroof switch, is the same style as the early 94 Mk3 sunroof switch, just in black, and sells for ALOT secondhand. Upwards of $200 sometimes.

switches- 3 position headlight switches came on 95 Cabrios, and any others?

All early cars got 3 position switches. 93-early 94, and the GLX's f those years also came with a 3 position Fog switch. They also got Bubble style AC and Defrost switches, and all the other switches are a different construction then the 95+ switches, that are PCB board based, instead of just resistor based.

misc interior- a Passat B4 above-mirror block-off can clip into a Cabrio header panel (maybe Mk3 too? Yessir ), Mk3.5 3 spoke wheels fit in any Mk3, and the airbag is exactly the same as the same style Mk4 wheel. The Mk4 wheel fits as well, with literally 5mins of modification. The 3.5 wheel is WAY WAY overpriced.

engine- Mk4 12v and 8v parts are pretty much all bolt on, any specific upgrades besides intakes?
      AEG exhaust manifold is tubular and bolts onto ABA's, The Mk4 12v manifold requires very little modification to be fitted, and just a RPM window switch to have the shift rod active.

brakes- all brakes are swappable pretty much. Plus suspension brake setups have different rotor offsets then the base suspension brake setups, so they do not swap easily. Rear disc aluminum calipers can come from Mk4 (Or late B5/B5.5 Passat, A4's ect ect.)
      Cabrio 3.5s have the hoses stock (don't know if you can use Mk4 hoses on Mk3s You can't). 98or99 Passat is what I use to look them up. I'll have to look when I'm at the garage Monday. Parts stores carry them in stock though, and they are bolt on.

This has been a well needed thread for a long time.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast