Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Odd clunk at low speeds

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      04-30-2012 05:05 PM #1
      I like to think I can figure out most things on my car when they go wrong but this one has me stumped. First a little history.

Last fall I replaced all the lower suspension components. Control arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, and sway bar end links. I also did both axles as well. Everything went fine until a couple months later I got a pronounced "clunk" during low speed corners, like in a parking lot. Less then 10mph or so.

I thought that maybe I didn't tighten a bolt down or something so I dug in and found two of the inner axle bolts had come loose so I tightened those down and checked all the others. The next day I drive it and the same problem so I go back under there and check all the bolted connections but everything was snug and tight.

Fast forward to today the problem still persists even though I've checked all the connections again. I don't get any unusual noise at high speed but only at very low speed. So what else should I check? Could it be upper strut bearings? Something in the steering rack? I'm stumped.

Vehicles
      90' Corrado m62
      04-30-2012 05:11 PM #2
      Strut bearings/mounts? Jack the car up and use a pry bar to lift the wheel up. Get 2 people so one can pry and you watch the top of the strut mount.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 06:13 PM #3
      That's kind of what I'm thinking. They are about 10 years old so they are probably due for replacement anyway.

Also, the axles I used were EMPI's and I have since read that they don't have a very long life span. Possibly a CV joint? Probably not since it's only at low speed but maybe.

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 1.9L G60-ST5 Black, 01 stage 3 allroad 6MT
      04-30-2012 07:23 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      That's kind of what I'm thinking. They are about 10 years old so they are probably due for replacement anyway.

Also, the axles I used were EMPI's and I have since read that they don't have a very long life span. Possibly a CV joint? Probably not since it's only at low speed but maybe.
      Yeah, EMPI is not good. There is some shop that advertises on here that has new OEM axles at a good price.

I would look at the front motor mount bracket. Then the strut mounts, and then the control arm stuff. I had a similar noise that ended up being a loose bolt to the control arm.

Good luck!
      Stephen
      Portland, OR
      Black 1990 1.9L Stage 5 G60 - keeper
      Corrados decay in a way that can only be measured using quantum physics
      http://sites.google.com/site/corradoproject/

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 11:23 AM #5
      Yeah, I'm probably going to get some raxles if I go with new axles. All the engine mounts are new but I will check the bolts to make sure they are still snug. I've double checked the control arm mounts as that's what I originally thought the problem was. I'm leaning towards the strut mounts but I'd better knock off the easy stuff to check. Thanks guys.

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 1.9L G60-ST5 Black, 01 stage 3 allroad 6MT
      05-01-2012 01:38 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      Yeah, I'm probably going to get some raxles if I go with new axles. All the engine mounts are new but I will check the bolts to make sure they are still snug. I've double checked the control arm mounts as that's what I originally thought the problem was. I'm leaning towards the strut mounts but I'd better knock off the easy stuff to check. Thanks guys.
      IIRC, that is usually when the brackets snap. Especially if you put in one of the aluminum front mounts (I think you have the solid oem style, don't you?)
      Stephen
      Portland, OR
      Black 1990 1.9L Stage 5 G60 - keeper
      Corrados decay in a way that can only be measured using quantum physics
      http://sites.google.com/site/corradoproject/

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 04:31 PM #7
      No I have an original style hydro mount up front. I'm not too hard on the gas most times but that bracket is original and pretty old now so it could be the culprit.

Vehicles
      07-18-2012 07:32 PM #8
      Finally got around to fixing this a couple weeks ago. It was the upper strut bearings. From the looks of them the grease in there was in pretty bad shape so the bearings were grinding. Steers nice and smooth now.