Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Just moved to NYC, can't get Dexter to walk more than 50 feet from the front door

Vehicles
      2006 V50 T5 AWD
      04-30-2012 04:12 PM #1
      Meet Dexter.

He turned 4 last month, and we just moved to NYC. He's been to the city many times before, including a few week-long stays, so it's nothing new to him.

Dex has adjusted pretty well to the new apartment, especially considering that he had been living in a big, quiet house in the NJ suburbs for the past 9 months. I was expecting a LOT more barking and nervousness, but he's really surprised me and is doing very well indoors after 10 days.

The problem is when I take him outside. He'll walk out the door with me and do his business without trouble, but I can't get him to walk past the end of the building in either direction. It's a quiet, tree-lined street with a single lane for cars and not a great deal of foot traffic. There are a lot of dogs on the block, and we see other dogs almost every time we go out. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. I've tried using treats, and while I've gotten him to go a bit further, he still does the DO NOT WANT thing and tries to run back to the door.

All I want to do is take Dexter to the park so he can get some exercise. Hopefully you guys have some advice for me. Thanks!

2. 04-30-2012 05:19 PM #2
      It may take some time. Instead of trying to get the dog to go past his comfort zone, let them branch out as they feel comfortable. Spend more time outside even if it is only 10 ft from the front door.

Eventually, the pup will get bored and want to venture out further. It may just take some time.

Vehicles
      2012 Mitsu Evo GSR (his) & 2003 PT GT (mine)
      05-02-2012 10:00 PM #3
      I have a dog thats scared around random things too...

The best thing weve tried is to wait it out. We park ourselves next to whatever object is freaking him out and just wait it out. Eventually he runs out of energy and just lets it go.

Good luck!

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      05-09-2012 11:40 PM #4
      My pit is like this

Things we do/have done:

- toys/treats in front of her nose til she follows
      - one of us (me/wife) just keeps on walking. Sometimes both of us will (prob not a city option), until eventually she follows
      - pick her up and carry her. Yes, I've had to carry my pit bull past the neighbors house bc she was so frightened of the noise made by a kids street hockey slap shot
      - patience. She used to be frightened of the basement stairs. Eventually she got over it and now runs down them. I'd carry her down, then my wife would sit at the top of the stairs and shed run to her.