Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: euro switch question

Vehicles
      94 Golf, 96 Wagon, 98 Jetta
      04-30-2012 06:44 PM #1
      I installed my euro switch a while back but I never had working fogs. So I could have no lights, parking lights or all lights. Today I got my fog lights working but they only come on with the headlights. When I have just the parking lights on I thought I was supposed to be able to have only the fogs on as well without the headlights. Is there something else I need to do to enable this feature? Or is it just my luck and the switch is bad?

TIA

COYS!!!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 GLI 6sp; 2009 Jetta 2.5 5sp; 1997 Jetta 2.0 5sp
      05-01-2012 08:31 PM #2
      Switch is just fine. That's the way it's supposed to work with a B4 Passat.

Reason is, I think it used to be the law in Germany that you had to have low beams on with fog lights. That's not the law there any more.

(Note the fog lights switch off when you switch on the high beams -- logically for a German -- you're (still) only allowed to have fog lights on when it's well, foggy; you wouldn't have high beams on at the same time.)

Works the same with a Mk3 Jetta/Vento or Golf. With a Mk3 it's because of the fog light relay... replacing the stock relay with a "standard" relay will fix that. I think it's the same with a Passat.
      Last edited by Marek K; 05-01-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 10:47 PM #3
      on my mk3 I can run the fogs by themselves with only the parking lights. the passat switch pulls out for fogs while in the parking pos. which leads me to believe the fogs should work with the headlights off, but I don't want to buy a new switch if that's not going to solve anything.
      COYS!!!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 GLI 6sp; 2009 Jetta 2.5 5sp; 1997 Jetta 2.0 5sp
      05-02-2012 07:21 PM #4
      Hmmm, you're right regarding the Mk3. I just checked ours (1997 Jetta GLS with Euro switch and retrofitted OEM fog lights), and the fog lights do come on in the parking light position.

But I just thought of something. The fog lights on our Jetta don't run through the fuse panel or the relay there. They run through an aftermarket wiring harness that has a relay and fuse in the harness. That may be why it works that way. How are yours wired?

Because someone in the Mk3 forum just PMed me, saying that the stock fog lights on his Mk3 Golf GTI won't come on in the Euro switch's parking light position. So maybe that's the way it works if the circuit goes through the fuse panel and relay there...

I had my 1997 B4 Passat GLX for 11 years before I traded it in, in 2008. So I can't check it. But the car was a daily driver for me all that time; and I'm fairly sure, with the Euro switch, that the fog lights didn't come on with just the parking lights.
      Last edited by Marek K; 05-02-2012 at 07:55 PM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      B4 Passat GLX, 82 caddy diesel
      05-02-2012 08:00 PM #5
      B4 euro switch should allow you to run your fogs without your headlights as a plug and play set up. First position to the right and one click out.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 09:48 PM #6
      yea I think I need a new one, it's gotta be the switch, I can't think of anything else.
      COYS!!!