Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 12 of 12

    Thread: How often do you change your air filter?

    1. Member ragnar's vw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Puyallup, WA
      Posts
      494
      Vehicles
      '63 bug,'84 rabbit diesel
      04-30-2012 07:01 PM #1
      Some opinions needed here. I know most people will say "when it's dirty" but unless you have a restriction gauge in your filter housing or inlet how do you know when? If you over service the filter you run the risk of letting dirt into the engine.
      I didn't do much today, but i'am going to give it hell tomorrow.

    2. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      4,892
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      04-30-2012 07:47 PM #2
      Check it every so often and see if its dirty. That's pretty much all we do with all of our cars. No real set schedule. Though once a year right after pollen season isn't a bad idea
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-30-2012 07:55 PM #3
      pull the filter out of the air box, bend it a little to open up the pleats a bit, if its that type of filter, and VISUALLY INSPECT it. if it looks dirty, then it probably is. air filters are cheap maintenance items.

    4. 05-01-2012 08:14 AM #4
      regular paper filters I would change around 9-10,000 miles. My K&N I clean every 3,000

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      05-01-2012 12:51 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by theman53 View Post
      regular paper filters I would change around 9-10,000 miles. My K&N I clean every 3,000
      Lucas, my good fellow, you sir, are wasting money..

      i dont even service my K&N till its VISIBLY DIRTY.. usually once a year.

      every 4-6 months if its on my toyota wheeler..

      normal air filters tho, i VISUALLY INSPECT them.

      short of hooking up a restriction gauge and going for a drive, your sight is the only tool you get..

    6. Member ragnar's vw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Puyallup, WA
      Posts
      494
      Vehicles
      '63 bug,'84 rabbit diesel
      05-01-2012 07:00 PM #6
      I do what Glegor does on my vehicles. Every couple of oil changes i just inspect the filter, and change it if need be. So maybe twice a year. My work changes air filters every other oil change so around 10,000 miles. Now granted these are transit buses, but they don't operate in Tuscon, Arizona where they have dust storms, it's Washington state. The problem I believe this over servicing is causing is worn out piston rings. The rings are worn down so sharp you could shave with them. So this is causing oil useage issues. Even air filter suppliers (who are trying to sell air filters) say don't over service your air filters.
      I didn't do much today, but i'am going to give it hell tomorrow.

    7. 05-02-2012 08:58 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Glegor View Post
      Lucas, my good fellow, you sir, are wasting money..

      i dont even service my K&N till its VISIBLY DIRTY.. usually once a year.

      every 4-6 months if its on my toyota wheeler..

      normal air filters tho, i VISUALLY INSPECT them.

      short of hooking up a restriction gauge and going for a drive, your sight is the only tool you get..
      Every 3,000 miles with my K&N it is visably dirty. That is why I went to it. It will have 1/8" of oiled dust attached to it over 1/2 of the filter. I drive around 150 miles or so per day and lots of it on dirt roads. I understand that K&N says flows great with up to 1/4" of junk on it, but I had a honda quad I had to rebuild because of dirt. I started using the UNI filter wrap in front of the K&N and now only clean the wrap as the filter stays clean for the most part.

    8. 05-02-2012 11:15 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by theman53 View Post
      Every 3,000 miles with my K&N it is visably dirty. That is why I went to it. It will have 1/8" of oiled dust attached to it over 1/2 of the filter. I drive around 150 miles or so per day and lots of it on dirt roads. I understand that K&N says flows great with up to 1/4" of junk on it, but I had a honda quad I had to rebuild because of dirt. I started using the UNI filter wrap in front of the K&N and now only clean the wrap as the filter stays clean for the most part.
      I'm no expert on K&Ns, but I do know they filter better when they are a bit dirty.
      3k miles seems awfully often to service those. I would go with K&N recommendations for cleaning. Also, never use an oiled type filter in a vehicle with the air flow sensor element up close to the air intake.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2012
      Location
      Wappingers Falls NY
      Posts
      340
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 2.0, 2012 Golf TDi
      05-02-2012 11:56 AM #9
      I am new to the TDI, but every K&N filter I have ever used is an oil type filter - direct OEM replacement or CAI. But I do agree with your point; my winter car is a Saab 900S and the K&N filter is 6" below AMFS...I clean this meter fairly often in an effort to preventing poor AF mixtures.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      05-02-2012 12:04 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by uDraft View Post
      I'm no expert on K&Ns, but I do know they filter better when they are a bit dirty.
      3k miles seems awfully often to service those. I would go with K&N recommendations for cleaning. Also, never use an oiled type filter in a vehicle with the air flow sensor element up close to the air intake.
      never use an oiled filter on a vehicle with a HOTWIRE mass air sensor.. and NEVER over oil it, there is a measurement on the end of the K&N box as to how much oil to use.. DO NOT OVER OIL! they work better with the right amount..

      if you are smart, and dont over-oil your filter (the re-charge kit has about 8 charges of oil for most filters, the re-charge kit has enough cleaner and oil for a SEMI air filter.. most people use the whole kit..

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2012
      Location
      Wappingers Falls NY
      Posts
      340
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 2.0, 2012 Golf TDi
      05-02-2012 05:21 PM #11
      K&N has performed some fairly exhaustive air mass flow tests with their filters and according to their tests, their oil stays trapped in the cotton filter element and does not contaminate the two types of air flow sensors found on cars today. Search K&N filter and air mass flow sensors...there are several tests/videos.

      I am not picking a side, I am simply offering this information. As with anything car, your actual experience may vary.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      05-03-2012 02:09 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by meboice View Post
      K&N has performed some fairly exhaustive air mass flow tests with their filters and according to their tests, their oil stays trapped in the cotton filter element and does not contaminate the two types of air flow sensors found on cars today. Search K&N filter and air mass flow sensors...there are several tests/videos.

      I am not picking a side, I am simply offering this information. As with anything car, your actual experience may vary.
      thats what i was saying.. its not the filter, or the oil that wrecks your MAF, its the stupid idiot cleaning it, that used the whole bottle of air filter oil on the filter, and the engine sucked the excess oil off, contaminating the MAF hot wire film..

      I AM PICKING SIDES lol.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •