Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 3.6 - Seriously?

1. 04-30-2012 08:24 PM #1
      I just picked up an 06 Passat 3.6 sport edition with 63k. I've had it for 1k and have been reading about the oil pump bolt failure. Is this for real on all 06-07 3.6's?

I've been a vw driver my whole life until we had twins last summer and I needed 2 car seats - hard in a 03 Jetta 1.8 when I'm 6'-2"
      So I was psyched to drop the caddy and get back to a real car.

I'm just wondering if this an issue that's very common? Should I dump the car before it hits? I've read a few posts on passatworld and vortex that have me worried.
      i'm so in love with the car, i'd hate to give it up.

Vehicles
      2010 Candy White Passat 2.0 TSI
      04-30-2012 08:33 PM #2
      Welcome to the forums!

From what I've read the problem is very real. Have you considered paying to get the bolt replaced as preventative maitenance. Apparently the issue is the hardening on the bolt, the revised bold doesnt have the tendency to fail. It would probably cost less than taking the hit on selling the car.

Regardless. I would phone up your local vw dealer and have them check the serVice record on your car. Who knows, maybe the bolt already failed on the previous owner. In that case you would be set because your car would have the revised bolt.

Anyways good luck and keep dubbin'
      Unitronic Stage 2 -- 42DD 3" catless downpipe -- APR Intercooler -- Unitronic Intake -- BSH Throttle Pipe -- AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe -- Unitronic DV Relocation -- Votex front lip -- HiDef side skirts -- painted rear valence -- mkvi wheel w/DSG paddles -- DDM HID headlights -- Euro side markers -- Interior & licence plate LEDs -- Skyline style Euro Tail Lights -- Podi gauge and pod kit -- revision D diverter valve

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      04-30-2012 08:37 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by SDbirdman View Post
      Welcome to the forums!

From what I've read the problem is very real. Have you considered paying to get the bolt replaced as preventative maitenance. Apparently the issue is the hardening on the bolt, the revised bold doesnt have the tendency to fail. It would probably cost less than taking the hit on selling the car.

Regardless. I would phone up your local vw dealer and have them check the serVice record on your car. Who knows, maybe the bolt already failed on the previous owner. In that case you would be set because your car would have the revised bolt.

Anyways good luck and keep dubbin'
      X2. Its a few hundred in labor to pull the engine and switch the bolt. Yeah it's a pita since you just got the car, but worth it IMO. (assuming the engine hasn't already been replaced or rebuilt)

4. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat, 09 Routan
      04-30-2012 11:05 PM #4
      I just bought an 08 which I think is excluded. However, it seems like most failures happened early. Have you tried consulting a VW dealer for service history? Might have already been done.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      05-01-2012 12:49 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
      I just bought an 08 which I think is excluded. However, it seems like most failures happened early. Have you tried consulting a VW dealer for service history? Might have already been done.
      Not to scare anyone, but the failures are continuing as the fleet ages. I've been searching and have found additional reports of failures over the last several months. I think some people may have experienced after warranty bolt failure and were never informed of the cause. Only told their engine was kaput. (based on owner description of engine failure circumstances)

Mine failed at 74k

Vehicles
      08 Suzuki SV650sf, 07 Passat Wagon 3.6L 4MO
      05-01-2012 07:09 AM #6
      mine failed around 62k

replaced with new engine under cpo warranty