Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Replacing an axle

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI 1.8t
      04-30-2012 07:29 PM #1
      I recently changed my front brakes and rotors. While they were off I noticed the cv boot was off of the axle on one end and the grease was spitting out. It's starting to get a kind of "whining" noise which I'm guessing is starting to come from a lack of grease. I just want to replace the whole axle instead of the boot. They have OEM axles on ecs for around $400 and some other brands for around $100. Has anyone every tried a "cheap" axle? And how do I know if my car has a standard or tripod style cv joint? It's a 2001 vw gti with the 1.8t (AWW) engine.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI 1.8t
      04-30-2012 08:17 PM #2
      The noise is coming from the drivers side, sometimes gets louder when turning. It's also sometimes present at idle and when I rev it up a little it gets a little louder. Which I'm wonder if the axle has anything to do with it.

3. 04-30-2012 09:25 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIRyanB View Post
      I recently changed my front brakes and rotors. While they were off I noticed the cv boot was off of the axle on one end and the grease was spitting out. It's starting to get a kind of "whining" noise which I'm guessing is starting to come from a lack of grease. I just want to replace the whole axle instead of the boot. They have OEM axles on ecs for around $400 and some other brands for around $100. Has anyone every tried a "cheap" axle? And how do I know if my car has a standard or tripod style cv joint? It's a 2001 vw gti with the 1.8t (AWW) engine.
      I would not "cheap out" on axles; there are those that will tell you it doesn't matter whether or not you get a cheap or an expensive axle, and it very well may not matter at all, but it depends on your car; you didn't say if it was lowered, what type of driving you did, if you do "spirited" driving or drive like Miss Daisy, so those factors have to be put into the equation as well. Most importantly, can you afford to spend 100.00 on an axle? Can you afford to spend 400.00 on one? That's the question you have to ask: what can I afford? Expensive ones break just like the cheap ones, it just depends on how you treat them. The whining noise is most likely from a lack of grease in the bearing, and over time the heat and stresses placed on the joint have deteriorated the bearings and inner workings to the point that they're now indicating to you that it is time to change.

The noise is coming from the drivers side, sometimes gets louder when turning. It's also sometimes present at idle and when I rev it up a little it gets a little louder. Which I'm wonder if the axle has anything to do with it.
      If the noise is changing at idle, and not when you're moving, you have something internal that is giving you the noise, probably a throwout bearning, but I don't know for certain.

And to determine what type of inner joints you have on your axles:

Tripod style has the thinner mounting flange, Ball and Cage the thicker. Bolts from the Tripod will not work on the Ball and Cage (too short), and Ball and Cage bolts are too long for Tripod inner joints...

Mike
      "You guys get out, I've got places to go" - Steve Mahan, Google self driving car user #0001. Watch the video on Youtube, it's awesome!!!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI 1.8t
      04-30-2012 10:13 PM #4
      It gets louder when moving also, it comes and goes. I started when I fixed some vacuum leaks and took the car out for a drive, I already knew about the boot, I just hadn't got around to it yet; but during the drive I just stomped on it while cruising and that's pretty much when the noise became noticeable.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI 1.8t
      04-30-2012 10:15 PM #5
      Sorry, the car is lowered on vogtland springs, nothing drastic.

6. 05-01-2012 11:23 AM #6
      It gets louder when moving also, it comes and goes. I started when I fixed some vacuum leaks and took the car out for a drive, I already knew about the boot, I just hadn't got around to it yet; but during the drive I just stomped on it while cruising and that's pretty much when the noise became noticeable.
      If it gets louder when you accelerate as well as turn my money would be on the joint (or a bearing of some type). The stress of stomping it while cruising may have pushed it to the point where it's now whining. I'd make sure I have everything else fixed before I said for certain that it's the axle, that way you can fix the problem first time, instead of throwing money at probable fixes...

Mike
      "You guys get out, I've got places to go" - Steve Mahan, Google self driving car user #0001. Watch the video on Youtube, it's awesome!!!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      05-02-2012 01:39 PM #7
      Nothing beats original VW axles.

The new $100 Chinese made axles are junk.

You would be better off with a Rebuilt original VW axle, OR having the cv joint/s replaced on your axle (with VW OE joints, or German OE joints). You already know the history of your axle, and if you have the bad joint replaced (or replace it yourself with a quality part), it would be as good as new, and better than any (except a new OE) replacement would be.

Don't be surprised if you still hear the noise after you replace the axle, because the noise is actually a wheel bearing going bad.