Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Just hired at Home Depot-Cashier

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      04-30-2012 09:24 PM #1
      Well, not wanting any serious jobs for the summer while taking classes, I figured I would apply at Home Depot. As a recently separated service medal veteran, I am guessing is the main reason I was hired since they get Gov't money for hiring me, etc. Anyway, has anyone worked here? If so, how did you like it, level of morale, etc.

I am hired on as a Temporary(seasonal) cashier, and was told if I have open availability I can get < 30 hours a week so I stay part time.

Finally, I also applied for an internship with the Pollution Control Agency for petroleum remediation of certain city sites. If I end up getting this what is the most appropriate way to say, "well, sorry I have a far better job/internship." FWIW If I get the internship, I pretty much get $15/hour full-time summers, part time school-year hours. So I would drop my summer course-work in Environmental Science. Home Depot is paying $9/hour hardly what I would make in the other job and the perk of being full-time hours. It's likely that I will at least get interviewed since the recently separated, service-medal veteran will give me preferance over alot of other people. I also have references in the Environmental Services at a large company and they are basically as far as you can get without switching to the overall company managers, etc.

Thanks for advice on Home Depot employment, and also any advice on how to politely quit after a few weeks, or so, on the job. Home Depot, isn't a complete BS job, but if I can get an internship related to my major, I wouldn't hesitate to leave. I am also looking to work here since it will get my employment history up, since I only have 2 years of bartending so far after leaving the service.

2. 05-01-2012 04:13 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Steveo989 View Post
      Thanks for advice on Home Depot employment, and also any advice on how to politely quit after a few weeks, or so, on the job. Home Depot, isn't a complete BS job, but if I can get an internship related to my major, I wouldn't hesitate to leave. I am also looking to work here since it will get my employment history up, since I only have 2 years of bartending so far after leaving the service.
      I wouldn't worry about about it. Just be honest and tell them you found an internship and they should understand. No offense to HD, but most of the people I KNOW working there are doing it as a temporary, stopgap solution because they're in school, or in between their real jobs. I think if you're polite/professional about it you'll be fine. Good luck.

3. Member
      05-01-2012 04:59 PM #3
      Kind of on topic- I love when I go into HD and they have hired really cute girls at the registers.

Vehicles
      '73 Camaro Z/28 & '05 LGT Wagon
      05-01-2012 08:33 PM #4
      I spent two years at home depot while in college. It was great part time employment. After spending the previous three or so years working electronics retail (Best Buy and CompUSA), Home Depot was a breath of fresh air. Very flexible with my school schedule. They paid well for the time (about the same as they are offering you now, which seems low). I believe I was making around 8.75/hour about 14 years ago there.

Morale was good at my store. Management and coworkers were always very friendly and I also enjoyed working there.

5. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-02-2012 12:39 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Kind of on topic- I love when I go into HD and they have hired really cute girls at the registers.
      LOL

05-02-2012 10:55 AM #6

I don't use self-checkout for this reason.

Vehicles
      2.0 for commuting, 5.0 for lolz
      05-02-2012 07:26 PM #7
      Just tell them thanks for the opportunity, but you've found something more relevant to your career path that you would rather pursue. The retail sector has substantial turnover, especially among floor-level employees like cashiers or stockers. I assure you that you're not the first person who has quit there after a few weeks (or days...or hours) and you won't be the last Hell, they'll surely appreciate that you're respectful enough to give them a bit of notice, rather than just walk out or stop showing up.
      Last edited by retro_rocket; 05-02-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      05-02-2012 07:35 PM #8
      So far I think I like the job so far, it's very early so it's difficult to know for sure, but it's simple enough. One criticism is that you need an absurd amount of training modules to finish cashier training. I'm 4 hours in, and I am 23% through one of the modules. I think there are 6 total or something crazy.

I understand being aware of where things are in your stores, but holy crap! When I am hired on for 90 days as a temp, but you are sending me through 3 weeks of training, that seems like over-kill. I mean I am a cashier, if I need help I can call over any full-time employee to help. I can also make calls to other depts if there is any issues. I do not see what the need is to know every little tiny detail.

The training is quite useful so far, but I just don't see how I am only 23% through the training and I already know how to enter anything in the comp, how to total out a transaction, etc. What I have learned as of yesterday, I don't see how I have 77% of my training left to do.

I understand the training needs if you are working a specific department, but sheesh being a cashier isn't that difficult where I need to know all this stuff.

I also have a few other training things I need to do after the cashier class I cannot remember what they are all called, but I don't see how I could do them all this quickly. As a student, the majority of this stuff is super quick and easy, and I am finishing each segment far quicker than what the computer says it should take. Maybe I'm just crazy, but still, it seems like a large amount of computer training for such a basic position. Plus, I mean if I got the internship tomorrow, Home Depot would have gained nothing and had to pay me for sitting behid a computer screen all day. I think my next shift on fri will be more hands-on, but once I get the basics from the Head Cashier I'll be right back to more computer garbage.

9. 05-06-2012 02:05 PM #9
      Home Depot sucks! They don't care about their employees nor their customers. I've worked for them before and definitely will never again! From personal experience, I worked for them for about 9 months never came in late, always on time, and when my review came up of course I got excellent reviews with a wonderful $0.10 raise. They give you **** if you call out hours prior of your shift starting, basically they rather have you ****ting and puking in their store rather than have you lay in bed resting. Employee discount comes once a year, 10% off one fricken item
      People who bleed orange(ass kissers) are the most annoying people in there, they will throw you under the bus then yank you out, piss on you, pour gasoline on your body, light you up and then throw you under the bus again just to step ahead, for what? Department Head supervisor with a $0.50 raise. Speaking of department heads, they sit in the breakroom for hours at a time and get paid, getting away with murder. If you step away from your department for a few mins for a piss break you get an earful
      Power hour, which lasts from 10a-2pm is horrific! You can't pull merchandise down to fill empty spots, you can't clean up, you can't bust out a ladder to do anything. That's when you have to stalk and prey on customers so they can purchase whatever( and they usually want you to get 20 customers a week to sign up for a HD CC, and if you don't they cut your hours). Say you're helping a customer and another customer comes up and asks you a question where something is, you can't just tell them or point out what aisle, you must walk that customer to that aisle Many of my customers have told me they rather not have someone "babysit" them and just to point it out.
      Computer training is another joke! You sit in a cold room for hours at a time(which I was fine with) and wear gaudy headphones while watching dumb "department/cashier" stories, don't forget though they know you're back there and you'll hear your supervisor call you on the phone asking where the hell you're at.
      The only ups for me were that I met some new people working there and met some celebrities.

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      05-06-2012 11:04 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Orzel Bialy View Post
      Home Depot sucks! They don't care about their employees nor their customers. I've worked for them before and definitely will never again! From personal experience, I worked for them for about 9 months never came in late, always on time, and when my review came up of course I got excellent reviews with a wonderful $0.10 raise. They give you **** if you call out hours prior of your shift starting, basically they rather have you ****ting and puking in their store rather than have you lay in bed resting. Employee discount comes once a year, 10% off one fricken item
      People who bleed orange(ass kissers) are the most annoying people in there, they will throw you under the bus then yank you out, piss on you, pour gasoline on your body, light you up and then throw you under the bus again just to step ahead, for what? Department Head supervisor with a $0.50 raise. Speaking of department heads, they sit in the breakroom for hours at a time and get paid, getting away with murder. If you step away from your department for a few mins for a piss break you get an earful
      Power hour, which lasts from 10a-2pm is horrific! You can't pull merchandise down to fill empty spots, you can't clean up, you can't bust out a ladder to do anything. That's when you have to stalk and prey on customers so they can purchase whatever( and they usually want you to get 20 customers a week to sign up for a HD CC, and if you don't they cut your hours). Say you're helping a customer and another customer comes up and asks you a question where something is, you can't just tell them or point out what aisle, you must walk that customer to that aisle Many of my customers have told me they rather not have someone "babysit" them and just to point it out.
      Computer training is another joke! You sit in a cold room for hours at a time(which I was fine with) and wear gaudy headphones while watching dumb "department/cashier" stories, don't forget though they know you're back there and you'll hear your supervisor call you on the phone asking where the hell you're at.
      The only ups for me were that I met some new people working there and met some celebrities.

My store seems to be pretty legit so far. I would equate this to a retirement job since I am just working to get out of the house, and learn a bit about home improvement. Thus, I am not too worried about others, nor is it my job to do so. I am not a dept head, store manager. I don't have a clue what the other people have been doing on the floor so I don't know if they just got their ass handed to them for 4 hours on a busy sat or something. If these are other cashiers I would probably be like wtf man, but otherwise I don't know what someone has been doing for the last 3 hrs in electrical or something.

The job is pretty much idiot-proof. I will likely be asked if I cheated since I have like 20 minutes left of my cashier training, and I am only 3 days in (14 hours). Supposedly, the fastest people that have been cashiers before have taken 2-3 full weeks to get finished. Nothing like milking the clock if you can. However, I would rather be working and interacting with real people, hence my hastiness with getting this training finished. It will also give my employer some greater flexibility since they budgeted for me to be in training until June, just for the cashier college, so it will be pretty funny to be done 3 1/2 weeks ahead of schedule.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      05-07-2012 06:16 PM #11
      I did the same thing with HD back in college. Flexible schedule, easy work up front, and plenty of cute girls to flirt with. I had a good time and my boss was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel Bialy View Post
      Home Depot sucks!

when my review came up of course I got excellent reviews with a wonderful $0.10 raise.

They give you **** if you call out hours prior of your shift starting, basically they rather have you ****ting and puking in their store rather than have you lay in bed resting.

Employee discount comes once a year, 10% off one fricken item

People who bleed orange(ass kissers) are the most annoying people in there,

If you step away from your department for a few mins for a piss break you get an earful

Power hour, which lasts from 10a-2pm is horrific! You can't pull merchandise down to fill empty spots, you can't clean up, you can't bust out a ladder to do anything.
      You really sound like a hard working employee

12. 05-07-2012 06:55 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      I did the same thing with HD back in college. Flexible schedule, easy work up front, and plenty of cute girls to flirt with. I had a good time and my boss was cool.

You really sound like a hard working employee
      Just because I posted a bunch of cons about a job makes me sound like I'm not a hard worker? Actually, I am a hard worker. HD was just a p/t job for me while I was living in Miami, easy money.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      05-07-2012 08:42 PM #13
      I worked there during 9/11, part-time. I had a full-time job and another part-time job. It wasn't a bad job, but I was stretched pretty thin and then I tore a gluteal muscle pushing shopping carts. I didn't go to work so they fired me Not that I cared all that much.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

14. 05-08-2012 02:00 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      I worked there during 9/11, part-time. I had a full-time job and another part-time job. It wasn't a bad job, but I was stretched pretty thin and then I tore a gluteal muscle pushing shopping carts. I didn't go to work so they fired me Not that I cared all that much.
      Wow, that sucks...seems like they would cut you some slack since it happened on the job. I'm not sure if you could sue or anything, but it just seems like they wouldn't want to chance it. Not to mention it would've been the "human" thing to do to give you some recovery time.

I wanted to mention this earlier but I couldn't remember if it happened at a Lowes or Home Depot, but now I remember:

I was at HD about 2 months ago shopping for a downspout (one of my downspouts was crushed by a falling portable basketball goal). I could only fit an ~8.5 foot downspout in my car, but they came in 10 foot sections. I asked an HD employee if he could cut it (I would pay for the whole section), but he said "no, I don't have anything to cut it with anyway". I asked him if he could use the wood saw (miter saw & table saw), and he still refused. He then jokingly said I could cut it myself in the store with a hacksaw.

Long story short, about 5 minutes after we talked, I grab a hacksaw off the shelf and start sawing away at this aluminum gutter. This may not sound funny, but it was SO LOUD and caught so many people's attention -I mean there were people running over to my aisle to see what was going on. Plus it took me 3 solid minutes to cut it, I guess because I have girly arms or something!!! The same HD employee came scrambling up to me halfway through me sawing the downspout and asks "what are you doing?" I say "I'm taking your advice.".

He literally stood there shocked and watched me finish cutting the gutter. I was tempted to place the hacksaw back, but I bought it.

In his defense, I'm sure those were the rules because Lowes told me the same thing. Is there something inherently more dangerous about cutting an aluminum downspout.
      FS: PNY GeForce 2010 Video cards - $10 for 1 or $25 for all 4

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post85839023

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      05-08-2012 02:45 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Brett92 View Post
      Wow, that sucks...seems like they would cut you some slack since it happened on the job. I'm not sure if you could sue or anything, but it just seems like they wouldn't want to chance it. Not to mention it would've been the "human" thing to do to give you some recovery time.

I wanted to mention this earlier but I couldn't remember if it happened at a Lowes or Home Depot, but now I remember:

I was at HD about 2 months ago shopping for a downspout (one of my downspouts was crushed by a falling portable basketball goal). I could only fit an ~8.5 foot downspout in my car, but they came in 10 foot sections. I asked an HD employee if he could cut it (I would pay for the whole section), but he said "no, I don't have anything to cut it with anyway". I asked him if he could use the wood saw (miter saw & table saw), and he still refused. He then jokingly said I could cut it myself in the store with a hacksaw.

Long story short, about 5 minutes after we talked, I grab a hacksaw off the shelf and start sawing away at this aluminum gutter. This may not sound funny, but it was SO LOUD and caught so many people's attention -I mean there were people running over to my aisle to see what was going on. Plus it took me 3 solid minutes to cut it, I guess because I have girly arms or something!!! The same HD employee came scrambling up to me halfway through me sawing the downspout and asks "what are you doing?" I say "I'm taking your advice.".

He literally stood there shocked and watched me finish cutting the gutter. I was tempted to place the hacksaw back, but I bought it.

In his defense, I'm sure those were the rules because Lowes told me the same thing. Is there something inherently more dangerous about cutting an aluminum downspout.
      The only things that come to mind would be risk of spark, or possibly heat from cutting causing flamable stuff to ignite. I don't think that's it though, likely just that the employee wasn't qualified on the cutting equip, or they were told by their dept head that the blades will be ruined from cutting that material.

I would have probably said ef it, and cut it for them anyway, I mean "customer first" if they are happy they will come back. Another thing, gutters are really thin so maybe when they are cut with normal saws the ends get crushed and frayed from spinning and pressure of the blade.

16. 05-08-2012 09:04 PM #16
      One girl that worked the paint department while I worked as a cashier ended up leaving HD to move to Florida I believe. Weeks later, bangbus.

Vehicles
      2010 TDi - 2010 Street Triple R
      05-08-2012 10:56 PM #17
      Bangbus=pay raise for her for a gang bang of 3 in a old chevy thru Miami Beach.
      Qua Patet Orbis - As Far As The World Extends

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      05-09-2012 01:51 AM #18
      Another update. Well I am 18 hours into training. 16.5+ was computer based modules, and I now feel like shooting myself. I will be completely finished with Cashier training after watching 30 mins of videos on thurs. After I completed cashier training, I still had a ton of MISC training to inform people of like THD credit cards, warrantys, and OSHA-type HAZMAT training.

I can confirm, there a few hotties that work at my store. The best is there is a stunning ginger here too, and I LOVE redheads.

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      05-10-2012 03:08 PM #19
      Lol, well I might have to talk to Home Depot in the next couple weeks. I will interview for the internship this coming tuesday and hopefully I pick it up. The internship is directly related to my major so it would be huge if I can get this for a resume. The internship can last up to two years, so I would love to be involved for that full amount of time.