Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it Totaled? air bag deployment inside

05-01-2012 06:41 AM #36
      Would you really want to buy a car back that randomly explodes it's airbags at you?

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      05-01-2012 07:18 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Ben.Reilly View Post
      VW
      More like the airbag manufacturer.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi S4 6MT
      05-01-2012 07:22 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      More like the airbag manufacturer.
      Right, so at least two different airbags simultaneously failed.

No, the car decided it was involved in a side impact and fired the airbags. IE: Not the airbag maker(s) fault.

Vehicles
      02.5 GTI VR6 2010 Tuscon
      05-01-2012 07:41 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 02GTIFREESKIER View Post
      Is the car on coils? Or super low?
      you should know, you've seen this car before (like 5 years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by lagunaroone View Post

To the OP: Is the car on stock suspension?
      The car is on eibach sport springs bought through and installed by VW when the car had less than
      10k miles. This was done in 2002. Shocks on the front are stock, rear are koni strt. It has a rear sway bar.
      Last edited by 24vowner; 05-01-2012 at 07:44 AM.
      eat more buffalo

5. Member
      Vehicles
      More than I need
      05-01-2012 08:33 AM #40
      The average wholesale value for this car (the maximum cash value an insurance company will pay out to a customer if the car is 'totaled') is a great deal less than what it will cost to have everything repaired and re certified. Insurance companies don't like to spend a dime more than they need to. I think you'll end up with a total. If either VW or your insurance company can prove that you have compromised the air bag system of the car by you modifying or adding something electrical or mechanical to the car your settlement could take quite some time. The real issue in this situation will be seeing who pays for the settlement - your insurance company or VW. You'll likely be stuck on the side lines, watching and waiting, while VW, your insurance company and perhaps a lawyer you might need to hire spend enough money to buy you and yours brand new GTI's as they battle to determine who gets to pay the wholesale value (not a pile of money ) of the car to you . Make sure your deductible and all legal fees are added to your total payout if you end up going to court. You were an accident victim and had nothing to do with what happened. Don't give up that deductible . Hope you come out of this mess with a fair settlement and quickly

Vehicles
      Mk2 forever
      05-01-2012 09:04 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
      Right, so at least two different airbags simultaneously failed.

No, the car decided it was involved in a side impact and fired the airbags. IE: Not the airbag maker(s) fault.

How about the sensor malfunctioned?

(I'm also positive that VW doesn't manufacture the airbag sensors they use.)
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      I believe the operation parameters on those Hunter machines specifies that if the measurements for camber and toe exceed 45 degrees, the operator and the vehicle's owner are required to commit ritual suicide. So I would recommend mounting it on oil drums and making it a river boat instead.

Vehicles
      Nissan Pathfinder 4.0l. KTM 250 XC
      05-01-2012 09:37 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by 24vowner View Post
      you should know, you've seen this car before (like 5 years ago)
      Ooooohhhhh reeeaaalllly? Were you a utahnian?
      Corrado: because I always wanted to get heckled by elitist pricks over the internet.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi S4 6MT
      05-01-2012 09:46 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by dub01 View Post

How about the sensor malfunctioned?

(I'm also positive that VW doesn't manufacture the airbag sensors they use.)
      Facepalm all you want. These systems are designed so that you don't have a single point failure. A malfunctioning sensor should not cause the airbags to deploy. The ECU in the car that controls the airbags looked at all the available data provided to it and decided to deploy the passenger side airbags. That would be the car deciding to deploy the airbags.

You make it sound like there's a sensor connected directly to the airbag and the sensor went on the fritz and deployed the airbags. That's just not how it works.

Vehicles
      Mk2 forever
      05-01-2012 10:06 AM #44
      Facepalm all you want. These systems are designed so that you don't have a single point failure. A malfunctioning sensor should not cause the airbags to deploy. The ECU in the car that controls the airbags looked at all the available data provided to it and decided to deploy the passenger side airbags. That would be the AIRBAG ECU deciding to deploy the airbags.

You make it sound like there's a sensor connected directly to the airbag and the sensor went on the fritz and deployed the airbags. That's just not how it works.
      FTFY

I'm positive VW buys them from an outside supplier too.
      I believe the operation parameters on those Hunter machines specifies that if the measurements for camber and toe exceed 45 degrees, the operator and the vehicle's owner are required to commit ritual suicide. So I would recommend mounting it on oil drums and making it a river boat instead.

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      05-01-2012 10:19 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by dub01 View Post
      FTFY

I'm positive VW buys them from an outside supplier too.
      Great - so the parts Volkswagen chose to install in their vehicle seem to suck (in this case). Now what's your point?

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      02.5 GTI VR6 2010 Tuscon
      05-01-2012 10:22 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by 02GTIFREESKIER View Post
      Ooooohhhhh reeeaaalllly? Were you a utahnian?
      Yeah from 06-09. I believe we met at RMR, you had a black GTI and were testing out your water/meth system.
      eat more buffalo

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      05-01-2012 10:24 AM #47
      Do you know for sure? For speedier deployment, at least I'd let the sensor to independently decide when to deploy the bags. At least the side bags which need to be extra fast.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      05-01-2012 10:26 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v_43v3r View Post
      That sucks man, hope you get it worked out. But I can't help but say.....

Lol VW.
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Must be a German thing.
      VW
      yeah, no. The same thing happens to other brands. Honda immediately comes to mind.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

14. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      His + Hers = 815hp
      05-01-2012 10:30 AM #49
      VW

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      05-01-2012 10:32 AM #50
      update??

Vehicles
      VW, Skoda, Derbi
      05-01-2012 10:33 AM #51

The car is on eibach sport springs bought through and installed by VW when the car had less than
      10k miles. This was done in 2002. Shocks on the front are stock, rear are koni strt. It has a rear sway bar.

I don't know how strict VW and other manufacturers are with aftermarket shocks and springs when it comes to covering the damage or accepting fault. I'm sure this has happened with cars that had both factory and aftermarket suspensions.

You would still think that the ride quality/harshness should not affect an impact sensor.

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      05-01-2012 10:36 AM #52
      Like someone else said, when all is said and done you can probably keep the car. The question is whether the insurance company or VW will cover it. If insurance does and they total it, you can probably work a deal to get the car back. If you're handy you can probably source a used airbag and trim parts and fix it up. But hopefully you won't have to and it'll be paid for.
      Last edited by mhjett; 05-01-2012 at 12:11 PM.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Vehicles
      Mk2 forever
      05-01-2012 10:42 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
      Great - so the parts Volkswagen chose to install in their vehicle seem to suck (in this case). Now what's your point?

>8^)
      ER
      Point is Stereodude keeps misstating that the car decided to deploy the airbag. The car isn't a single entity. It's made up of many subsystems that do specific tasks. Yes, they communicate, but I find it very improbable something outside the airbag system told the curtain bag to deploy.

I'm not denying that the suppliers VW used for Mk4s were incredibly questionable, that's why I refuse to own a Mk4. You people can keep bashing VW, but they aren't the only car company that has had supplier issues.

I'm done
      Last edited by dub01; 05-01-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Vehicles
      2009 Wrong Wheel Drive Crapalier
      05-01-2012 10:47 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      yeah, no. The same thing happens to other brands. Honda immediately comes to mind.
      No it doesn't. All other car manufacturers never have problems. EVER!
      F1
      RED BULL Racing Formula One
      Final Gear

"Here's a couple things America got right; cars and freedom"

20. 05-01-2012 11:25 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      ^So basically nobody died and thus no recall is issued.
      "Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited, 03 Protege LX

Vehicles
      02.5 GTI VR6 2010 Tuscon
      05-01-2012 12:00 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by speed51133! View Post
      update??
      Talked with VWoA today, I have to take the car to Whicita (130 miles away as the crow flies) and drop it off saturday. They will look the car over monday and then contact me tuesday. I'm sure they will be looking for every reason not to fix it.
      The insurance appraiser will be looking at the car thursday.
      eat more buffalo

22. Member
      Vehicles
      06 VW GLI, 98 Cherokee
      05-01-2012 12:05 PM #57
      Talked with VWoA today, I have to take the car to Whicita (130 miles away as the crow flies) and drop it off saturday. They will look the car over monday and then contact me tuesday. I'm sure they will be looking for every reason not to fix it.
      They don't have a local dealership that can look at it? I would be looking to get paid for mileage and time.
      06 GLI
      98 Jeep Cherokee

Vehicles
      02.5 GTI VR6 2010 Tuscon
      05-01-2012 12:07 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by AndyG86 View Post
      They don't have a local dealership that can look at it? I would be looking to get paid for mileage and time.
      That is my LOCAL dealership, country living does have its downsides.

But you did bring up some good points, I should see if they will cover any of the costs of getting there.
      eat more buffalo

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      05-01-2012 12:10 PM #59
      That is my LOCAL dealership, country living does have its downsides.

But you did bring up some good points, I should see if they will cover any of the costs of getting there.
      The NHTSA investigation gives you a little negotiation leverage with VWoA. Not to mention it's in VWoA's best interest to be proactive about randomly exploding airbags - think of potential liability, etc. Plus, I would reiterate with VWoA that you are the original owner - if anything, it shows they have the chance to gain favor with a loyal owner.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

25. 05-01-2012 12:41 PM #60
      Today I learned that MKIV's have side-impact airbags.
      didn't realize that...

26. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      05-01-2012 12:49 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Do you know for sure? For speedier deployment, at least I'd let the sensor to independently decide when to deploy the bags. At least the side bags which need to be extra fast.

In the Touareg (2003 and up), there are 6 crash sensors that are connected to the airbag control module, which then sends the signal out to the various airbags and seatbelt pre-tensioners. I would imagine that this car has a similar arrangement.

Whether it was a sensor, airbag control module, chaffed/shorted wiring, or even a severe bump in the road that caused the airbags to deploy is something for an engineer to determine. I doubt this is something that can be determined by users on this forum without seeing the vehicle.

PS: Certainly other manufactures have similar issues. I recall my father telling me years ago of a Porsche that had its airbags deploy at a PCA track event. There wasn't a crash, just hard braking.
      Last edited by spockcat; 05-01-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      05-01-2012 01:41 PM #62
      Here's another interesting link:

http://www.safetyissues.com/magazine...t_airbags2.htm

From the article:

Quote Originally Posted by Volkswagen’s spokesman Tony Fouladpour
      He says the airbags work properly and the 117 complaints represent a fraction of the cars manufactured. "And is it absolutely 100% perfect? No, it's not. But is it going to save lives? Absolutely," Fouladpour said. He says the only mistake Volkswagen made was a customer service one for refusing to pay for some airbag repairs. "When that rare occurrence happens and it wasn't the intention of the airbag than yes we need to reimburse those people absolutely," Fouladpour said.
      Story is about 7 years old but at least at one point VW's official policy seems to have been that they should cover the cost of the repairs.

>8^)
      ER

05-01-2012 02:29 PM #63

VWoA is actually VERY receptive, the ****ing dealers on the other hand WILL try and get every cent from you.

Short story. When my heatercore went in my MK3 about 9ish years ago, VWoA good willed it, but the dealer said the foam kit was going to be $150 bucks. Asked them if the blown heatercore caused it and they said yes, VWoA covered the foam kit also.
      2014 Focus ST | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: BBS Steering Wheel (3 spoke) | MK3.5 Mirrors

Vehicles
      Bagged MK6 GLI, Ex-BT B5A4 Owner
      05-01-2012 02:54 PM #64
      This happened to a friend's Jetta years ago. She drove over a bumpy railroad crossing and suddenly the side curtains deployed. I believe it was fully covered and fixed for free, but at the time the car was fairly new so that may have had something to do with it. Good luck man
      Follow me on Instagram: @coreyfonseca
      I offer automotive detailing services in RI. PM me for details.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-01-2012 03:28 PM #65
      I don't think the car is totalled. You will need 1 airbag and 1 new seat, and possibly headliner. You can get most of that for cheap.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      05-02-2012 03:35 AM #66
      This is worth repeating:

Quote Originally Posted by NHTSA
      ODI also obtained counts of alleged inadvertent side-airbag deployments from peer manufacturers. The data shows that the subject vehicles are not unique in being subject to such allegations. The complaint rate for non-subject individual model vehicles varies widely. The rate for the subject vehicles is comparable to three peer models, each with compact chassis/wheelbases.

Vehicles
      94 golf, 90 calypso VR jetta gli,98 ginster, 97 golf, 95 jetta, 99 jetta
      05-18-2012 08:51 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      ^So basically nobody died and thus no recall is issued.
      havent you seen fightclub?

Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
      DIY harlequin
      VRT partout
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      You carry a ball peen hammer but not a jack? Are you in the Hell's Angels?
      Quote Originally Posted by Porridgehead View Post
      As far as sexes go, I'm uncertain these days. It's getting harder to tell if you're at the hotdog stand or taco bell until it's actually in your mouth.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-18-2012 10:26 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Can't hurt to have some new air bags in a 12 year old car
      I actually asked Volvo this question when I had my 960 (and once before when my dad owned the car). The door jamb sticker indicated airbag and pyrotechnic system inspection/replacement after 10 years. Bring it in, Volvo extended the life another 5 years. Brought it in again after 5 years (when I owned it at 15 years old), and they said good for another 5. Seems that Volvo had been studying their own long term test fleet of sample cars (or buying cars back after 10+ years old when coming in on a dealer trade) and stored airbags and safety systems and randomly testing them.

Apparently they had no failures of the systems, so they gave them a clean bill of health and told dealers to not bother with a replacement unless demanded by an owner. Apparently the airbag/safety system is the best made system in an entire car.

Of course, doesn't mean the VW system is going to be the same - but they most likely are made by the same supplier (there aren't that many). VW and other brand do extensive testing to make sure this type of situation does not happen - but nothing is perfect.

Call VW and see... if not it is repairable. Might be a couple thousand dollars tho. Should not be a write off tho. Usually the car is a write off because it is the damage plus the cost of airbag replacement... You have minimal damage to repair (headliner and inspection of the failed sensor/computer that triggered the malfunction).

34. Senior Member
      05-19-2012 02:33 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Rowayton View Post
      The average wholesale value for this car (the maximum cash value an insurance company will pay out to a customer if the car is 'totaled')
      Total loss payout is more like retail plus local sales/use tax and pro-rated license ("retail" being actual selling price, not asking price, at local dealers), from what I have seen.

Vehicles
      Gma's 88 Carat, OG '92 16v,
      05-19-2012 02:37 AM #70
      Not totaled, and I'll bet VWoA will pick up the tab

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast