Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Air Lift Xl's Slam Series

Vehicles
      1995 Vw Cabrio Wolfsburg
      05-01-2012 12:23 AM #1
      I just purchased an entire Mkv Gti digital airlift kit and have been researching quite a bit about the rubbing issues.

It is a personal nightmare to have a rear bag blow out on me so I want to do the install right the first time and have no worries.

I have been referred to Drew Dorbritz and looked at his D cups, also the performance height brackets from bag riders.

I need your experience and wisdom on the subject of Mkv Gti rear bag set up's and how to PREVENT rubbing.

Thanks,

Austin

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 MkV GTI
      05-01-2012 02:57 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v dubbin View Post
      I just purchased an entire Mkv Gti digital airlift kit and have been researching quite a bit about the rubbing issues.

It is a personal nightmare to have a rear bag blow out on me so I want to do the install right the first time and have no worries.

I have been referred to Drew Dorbritz and looked at his D cups, also the performance height brackets from bag riders.

I need your experience and wisdom on the subject of Mkv Gti rear bag set up's and how to PREVENT rubbing.

Thanks,

Austin

If you have purchased a complete kit, it should come with brackets. no need for D-cups unless you go with other rear bags.

I have the airlift performance rears and no problems, i daily my car too. Going great for 2months now.

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      05-01-2012 09:31 AM #3
      Return the airlift rears and go with ss5's and dcups. **** airlift rears
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

Vehicles
      1995 Vw Cabrio Wolfsburg
      05-01-2012 03:03 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Return the airlift rears and go with ss5's and dcups. **** airlift rears
      why are they so bad?

5. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      05-01-2012 03:17 PM #5
      They're not terrible if they're installed correctly. The XL's just require trimming the upper spring nipple on the Mk5/6.

SS-5/6 + D-Cups are great as well!

Vehicles
      1995 Vw Cabrio Wolfsburg
      05-01-2012 03:23 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@ORT View Post
      They're not terrible if they're installed correctly. The XL's just require trimming the upper spring nipple on the Mk5/6.

SS-5/6 + D-Cups are great as well!
      After trimming the upper nipple there shouldn't be any issues with rubbing? I have the slam brackets.

7. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      05-01-2012 03:26 PM #7
      Correct. Most people have rubbing issues with the lower control arms and the slam brackets. Mount the bags inward enough and trim properly, you'll have no problem!

Vehicles
      1995 Vw Cabrio Wolfsburg
      05-01-2012 03:29 PM #8
      Correct. Most people have rubbing issues with the lower control arms and the slam brackets. Mount the bags inward enough and trim properly, you'll have no problem!
      Thank you very much!

9. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      05-01-2012 03:55 PM #9
      No problem.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Vehicles
      mk1 Audi TT w/GT3076r Sold + mk4 2.8 VR6 Gli MINE 07 EOS 2.0t HERS
      05-01-2012 04:03 PM #10
      is this a problem on mk4's?????

11. 05-01-2012 05:01 PM #11
      are they still making these rear bags with plastic caps? quality was most def lacking a year ago, not sure if they addressed this...

the main issue with rubbing comes from the bag sitting in the rear control arm. not saying you can't properly orientate the bag to clear the perimeter of the seat, but it most definetly requires you to jack up and lower the control arm a number of times to find the appropriate position for the top bracket. you'll be drilling and fastening the self-tapping screws a number of times into the body of the car to get it right.

i highly suggest changing over to ss5's or re5's while using a bottom spacer to bring the bag partly out of the seat in the control arm and custom top brackets. for the time and effort it requires you to properly orientate the airlift bags, you could easily make d-cup-esque brackets yourself and use a higher quality bag.

either that or return them for bagyard rear bags and call it a day sans cutting

just a thought before you start cutting your car up to try and make the airlift bags work.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 MkV GTI
      05-01-2012 05:06 PM #12
      does ss/re bags go lower? and do they use about the same
      psi to raise the rears? I'm running about 55-65 psi in the rears with airlift

13. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      05-02-2012 11:15 AM #13
      No, they will not go lower than the AirLift Slam XL's.

The SS/RE's will give you a raked look.

Vehicles
      06 GTI, 04 Jetta (Gone)
      05-02-2012 12:48 PM #14
      I know that when I had my AirLift rear XL's installed, there was a quite a bit of rubbing on the LCA. The guys at Tomas Sport Tuning had to trim the LCA down to make it fit on top of getting rid of the top nipple.
      Tomas Sport Tuning + Bag Riders = BAGS & BBS RS

15. 05-02-2012 01:03 PM #15
      No, they will not go lower than the AirLift Slam XL's.

The SS/RE's will give you a raked look.
      is that a joke? if you install re5's with no mounting brackets i doubt you would even be able to raise the back of the car to a driveable height...

i have a 2.25" spacer in the lower control arm to get the lift i need from these bags

collapsed height on re5's is 2.9", collapsed height on slam xl rear bags is 5"

this is completely dependent on how you mount these bags

16. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      05-02-2012 01:38 PM #16
      No, it's not a joke, sorry.

After rereading the conversation, we were referring to d-cups + ss/re bags and not a bracket-less setup. Sure, remove the brackets and you will go drastically lower, but that's not what we were talking about.

Vehicles
      1995 Vw Cabrio Wolfsburg
      05-02-2012 01:52 PM #17
      No, it's not a joke, sorry.

After rereading the conversation, we were referring to d-cups + ss/re bags and not a bracket-less setup. Sure, remove the brackets and you will go drastically lower, but that's not what we were talking about.
      All I wanted to know was if there is precaution's you can take to not rub with airlift xl's with slam brackets

18. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      05-02-2012 02:02 PM #18
      Sorry for derailing your topic, I was just responding to hypetrain's post regarding the Slam Specialties bags collapsed height.

19. 05-02-2012 02:16 PM #19
      it honestly kills me that people think d-cups are their only option when choosing a universal bag

no stab at dorbritz or anything, but come on... is everyone that impressed by this design or is it just a mindless solution?

air suspension has become way too "off the shelf" imo, lets see some interesting set-ups with specific design intent

/rant

sorry andrew, didn't mean to come off like a jerk

20. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      05-02-2012 02:21 PM #20
      Feel free to contact me via PM, I don't want to jam up this poor chap's thread with a discussion about d-cups and bag setups

Vehicles
      bagged mkv gti
      05-03-2012 10:36 PM #21
      i bought the air lift rears. i brought it to a shop and got it done professionally and theyre great,
      (_fishbowl society_)

Vehicles
      1995 Vw Cabrio Wolfsburg
      05-04-2012 11:45 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by DAS-AUTO View Post
      i bought the air lift rears. i brought it to a shop and got it done professionally and theyre great,
      Awesome!

Vehicles
      04 MKIV JETTA / 08 MKV JETTA
      05-12-2012 09:24 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by itzkv View Post
      If you have purchased a complete kit, it should come with brackets. no need for D-cups unless you go with other rear bags.

I have the airlift performance rears and no problems, i daily my car too. Going great for 2months now.
      I'm still learning here but the performance rears are the non-slam serious correct? If so you and running that kit with the u-bracket? did you cut the perch or install a d-cup? If your car is the nonslam and no mods with the u-bracket, do you have a picture? would like to see how low they are. Im not all about laying from, just clean proper stance.

For the non-slam serious and the u-bracket, have you heard of any rubbing issues or issues in general? and do you have to have d-cups installed in all rears to prevent rubbing?

Vehicles
      2015 Golf GTI and a 2014 VW Tiguan 4 Motion SE
      05-12-2012 11:57 PM #24
      The airlift performance rears are the same bag as is with the Xl's, I think. The difference is the mounting brackets. The performance go a bit higher than the xl's, but low enough for me- I don't want to rest on my exhaust- but they get low enough that my fender liners still hold me up in the rear.
      ///”VDUBkill 2:0 – The path of 2.0T is beset on all sides by the injustice of the speed trap and the Plague of the Prius drivers. But blessed is he who in the name of disparity overwhelmeth the exotic in the valley of the s-bends. And I shall strike down upon thee with great revs and furious acceleration those who attempt to obstruct or delay my overtaking and you will know my engine is turbocharged when I lay my powerband upon thee.”

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 MkV GTI
      05-13-2012 12:22 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by steaguejr View Post
      I'm still learning here but the performance rears are the non-slam serious correct? If so you and running that kit with the u-bracket? did you cut the perch or install a d-cup? If your car is the nonslam and no mods with the u-bracket, do you have a picture? would like to see how low they are. Im not all about laying from, just clean proper stance.
      seppdelaney said it perfect. The only modification you will need to do to the rear is to use a 1/2" Drill bit to widen the existing hole on the upper nipple for the nusert. Any also on the LCA, there is also a identical "nipple" which holds the OEM Spring pad, that will be needed to be grinded down to about 1/4" so that the bottom of the airbag cup can fit flush on the LCA.

Vehicles
      mkv, mk1
      05-13-2012 12:36 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Seppdelaney View Post
      The airlift performance rears are the same bag as is with the Xl's, I think. The difference is the mounting brackets. The performance go a bit higher than the xl's, but low enough for me- I don't want to rest on my exhaust- but they get low enough that my fender liners still hold me up in the rear.
      performance rears are not the same as XL's

performance rears are a slim bag that doesn't expand as much as XL's

XL's are a tapered sleeve bag, if they're not perfectly centered they will rub on the control arm when you air up and down, if the bracket isn't positioned correctly the bag will rub on the shock bolt and blow

the best way to install airlift rears is using a drive on lift or slip plates from an alignment machine, that way you can see if the bag is touching anything when you air it up and air it out

I prefer air house 2's or SS5's

the D cup positions the bag on top of the control arm rather than an XL bag that sits inside the control arm.

If you're gonna use XL's use the bracket that keeps the nipple, also don't use airlift shocks, you need 80 PSI to get any height out of them.
      Air ride installs, coil over installs, general servicing, frame notching, vag com, mk1 restorations and repairs
      Email mreurowerks@gmail.com
      Instagram @rikeymobles
      #dapperfam

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 MkV GTI
      05-13-2012 12:42 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Minor_Threat View Post

XL's are a tapered sleeve bag, if they're not perfectly centered they will rub on the control arm when you air up and down, if the bracket isn't positioned correctly the bag will rub on the shock bolt and blow

the best way to install airlift rears is using a drive on lift or slip plates from an alignment machine, that way you can see if the bag is touching anything when you air it up and air it out

I prefer air house 2's or SS5's

the D cup positions the bag on top of the control arm rather than an XL bag that sits inside the control arm.

If you're gonna use XL's use the bracket that keeps the nipple, also don't use airlift shocks, you need 80 PSI to get any height out of them.
      I've always thought the differences in the rears were just the brackets for Airlift... Learned something new today.

How much PSI differences if I were to switch to Koni/Bilstein? I do agree that about 80PSI is when you actually are above the tire,no tucking..

Vehicles
      mkv, mk1
      05-13-2012 12:48 AM #28
      not sure, my friend johnnyr32 said the most height he ever got was with the airlift bags and bilstein shocks

I just got rid of my airlift rears after running them for 3 years

went to airhouse 2's and bilstien shocks
      Air ride installs, coil over installs, general servicing, frame notching, vag com, mk1 restorations and repairs
      Instagram @rikeymobles
      #dapperfam

Vehicles
      04 MKIV JETTA / 08 MKV JETTA
      05-13-2012 08:43 AM #29
      not sure, my friend johnnyr32 said the most height he ever got was with the airlift bags and bilstein shocks

I just got rid of my airlift rears after running them for 3 years

went to airhouse 2's and bilstien shocks
      Anyone have a picture with no modding of the rear spring perch? I have an idea but im a visual type of person.

Vehicles
      mkv, mk1
      05-13-2012 09:13 AM #30
      if you don't want to mod the spring perch, try and get some nutserts from airlift and you can insert them into the nipple then screw the bag to the spring perch
      Instagram @rikeymobles
      #dapperfam

31. Junior Member
      05-13-2012 12:00 PM #31
      The LCAs from All Day Fab were my solution on XL rears and never have to question if I'm rubbing.

http://www.alldayfab.com/VW-Custom-Arms.html

32. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      05-14-2012 10:49 AM #32

Actually, they are the same tapered rolling sleeve bag. It's AirLift part number 58130, it's the same for Mk4/5/6 Slam XL and Performance Series rear kits. The only difference is the mounting brackets/hardware.

Vehicles
      mkv, mk1
      05-14-2012 11:05 AM #33
      I remember performance rears looking quite different than XLs
      Instagram @rikeymobles
      #dapperfam

34. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      05-14-2012 11:13 AM #34
      You might be thinking of the Zytel top plates versus the metal top plates, that's the only change that was made recently. Other than that, they're the exact same bag.

35. 05-14-2012 11:16 AM #35
      Actually, they are the same tapered rolling sleeve bag. It's AirLift part number 58130, it's the same for Mk4/5/6 Slam XL and Performance Series rear kits. The only difference is the mounting brackets/hardware.
      this^

this has been covered in a million other threads

airlift xl rears for mk5 go to low

stick with the regular rears and you will not have a rubbing issue
      Joosey - DubAudi - Banchwerks - ForceFed Engineering - HighwayStar

PVW 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by uzi did it View Post
      you can compare me to kobe bryant of the vw world. i'm just that good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast