Let's try this agan
So I have been toying with the idea of setting her up for rally but it's my daily (or it will be once its drivable again) btw can anyone tell me what vw named its paint color? will be posting more pics but the car is at my buddies house. My apts don't allow cars sitting or having work done.
[QUOTE=Bozwell;77197710]looks to me like it could be calypso green....im very partial to that color myself!
One thing I love about the color is it doesn't matter how big of a parking lot I'm in I can always spot my car.
Not sure if I want it to stay that color though. I have thought about some other colors. First I got to get it drivable.
I got the motor mount in but I still have some other issues like oil on top of my spark plugs, leaking power steering reservoir, leaking coolant and oil, as well as other problems that I can't think of right now. I'll post some better pics later and I'll get some pics of the other problems tomorrow. It at my buddy's house for now. Onto the pics I do have.
So after yesterday Greg and i decided to tear the valve cover off and and check the gasket. When we got in there it became obvious what happened. We didn't use gasket sealer. So we pulled it out and cleaned the oil off the gasket. Since we had it pulled apart and were already cleaning we cleaned the valve cover gasket. I had the oil on the top of my plugs before but thought it was fixed since we put in the new gasket. Of course we cleaned of the intake for its new gasket. With the valve cover off we could also finally get one of the top two valve cover bolts out that had busted off. We tried pliers but no good. So we had to use a extraction kit. With no valve cover we had to keep the metal shavings off my cams and out of my oil. So we cut a small hole I a plastic bag and forced the bolt in it. We also used a magnet to help catch the shavings. Worked out great except for the fact that we didn't drill straight in the bolt and it destroyed the side. There was enuff of the bolt to get the grabbing side to make it budge. Enuff that the vice grips could finally finish the job. With everything finally apart and prepared we could put it back together. With the help of permatex ultra copper to seal the gaskets. We used 2 new bolts that were stronger than the stock bolts. We finished up and waited for the sealer to dry. When we tried to start it hrs later it would not stay running and ran so riff and would just stall out. We fixed what we thought was the problem but she still would not start. So we waited to see if we flooded it, still nothing. My 2 days off to take a car that ran, take it apart, put it together and now it doesn't run. If you are wondering what it was we thought the problem was, might still have been flooded when I left, you can see it in the last photo. I'll post what the problem is later if no one guesses it.
With the intake boot off Greg starts on the top half of the intake.
With the top half off you can see just how dirty the top of my valve cover is.
With the valve cover off you can see the busted bolt poking out (to the right of the pic.)
Look at the sludge on the top of my valve cover. Time to clean that off.
No that's not a new valve cover just some degreaser a wire brush and some elbow grease.
Didn't go all out on the top just wanted most of that gunk off. I can clean it more later.
The bolt that broke next to the good one. There was not a lot left.
Greg tightening the cover back on.
Ok here is were you can see what's wrong. Who can guess whats wrong in this post. I'll tell you tomorrow if no one can guess it.
Well I got it home only to find out my alternater is shot. My battery light just flickers while driving. It does go off when ideling. When to find out how much a new one was and Damn its a lil pricey. Like 150 something and 40 something when I give them my core. I don't really want to get a used one because this will be the 4th used one I put in. This last one didn't last long at all. So now I wait till pay day to see if I can swing getting it next week. Hope I can get everything straightened out before my trip permit runs out.
Ok so I hot the new alternater in but I had to pick up yet another belt for it. I think that's the 4th one. Not to sure why its been happening maybe ill have better luck with the new alternater. My ps is squeaking like a stuck pig when stoped or slowly moving but at higher speeds it doesn't do it as much. I think its my ps pump what do you guys think?
Ok the suspension needs to be replaced and since I want to set it up for rally I'm going to need some lift. If anyone has any ideas on this would be most helpful. I have been looking at coilovers but I don't know how to get the clearance I will need. Im working on a budget but I want it to work right.
Last edited by drive.euro; 06-03-2012 at 03:53 PM.
So the answer to your other thread is that if that's the original engine, you have 134 hp. The '90 Passat would have had a 2.0 16V (not a 1.8 like you state below your user name). So if someone did swap in a 1.8 16V, then it's 123 hp.
The B3 Passat came with the 1.9L TD or the 2.0L 16v and in the later years, the VR6. In Canada, you also had the rare option of the Supercharged 1.8L 8v that came in the Syncro models.
The 1.8L and the 2.0L 16v's look damn near identical but I will say with all confidence, you have the 2.0L.
Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe
The best way to tell the difference between the two is by looking at the block from underneath. The 1.8 block is "flat" similar to the counterflow 8V blocks, and the 2.0 block has "bumps" for each of the cylinders (I've heard it called a "bubble block") and has a raised "2.0" on or between the "bumps" on the firewall side.
You can see a 2.0 block in this thread.
It's possible someone put a 1.8 head on your 2.0 block to get the bigger intake ports. The 1.8 had bigger intake ports, the 2.0 had bigger exhaust ports.