Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Got Another Wagon: Silver/Black 1997 GLX

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '96 B4V TDI 5-SPD was auto VR6, '97 B4V GLX, '89 T3 Syncro 16" Doka, etc. etc
      05-01-2012 06:47 AM #1
      Intended to buy to get the black leather interior for my Black/Beige TDI coverted B4V GLX but it's too pretty and complete to dismantle. Looks like I'll be driving it for awhile while deciding what to do.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1983 2.0 GTI 1992 Carat 1997 GLX Wagon
      05-01-2012 07:43 AM #2
      Damn, i thought mine was in great shape. Nice wagen, nothing needs to be changed other than a trans mount..
      I have had mine for 3 years, stock aside from the trans mount , and still enjoy driving it. Lots to love about the b4 wolfsburg
      stock 97 GLX wagen........

3. Member
      Vehicles
      05-01-2012 02:24 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by dewkie View Post
      Damn, i thought mine was in great shape. Nice wagen, nothing needs to be changed other than a trans mount..
      I have had mine for 3 years, stock aside from the trans mount , and still enjoy driving it. Lots to love about the b4 wolfsburg
      Thanks, I never thought my B4 Passats were Wolfsburg Editions. My former B4 TDI and both my B4V GLX had the same emblem. Just assumed that was standard emblem for all B4's.

Anyway, besides bumper scratches from parking in the streets of San Frsncisco, there are two very tiny dings on two of the doors & a bigger one on the passenger rocker panel. The sunroof cables and or guides was replaced by the DPO (dreaded previous owner). He said he was unable to line them up. Essentially he just manually shut the roof. I'm afraid to touch it right now as it is just fine in the closed position for me. You also can't see that the rear hatch is slightly misaligned to the point that it's whistlin' Dixie when I'm driving at speed. DPO duct taped a piece of foam in the opening.

Mechanically, she seems to "...fly through the air, with the greatest of ease..." DPO had some electrical gremlins after reversing polarity on jumpstarting the car. Blew some fuses including the fusible link in the fan control. Changed that and everything seems to be peachy. So far so good.

Driver's seat has a hole the size of a quarter. The flap for the hole is still attached. It's just a shame that it happened as the rest of the interior is in very good shape.

One last thing. Radio is in SAFE mode and doesn't seem to want to come out of it. I have heard these radios burning themselves into SAFE mode until some part in the radio is replaced. I've got the code if only I can get it out of SAFE. Damned DPO.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1983 2.0 GTI 1992 Carat 1997 GLX Wagon
      05-01-2012 02:52 PM #4
      I recalll reading that the silver/blk lth were W.E. I could be misinformed or just dumb, take your pick.

I dont know if its a common issue but my hatch was loose when i got mine too. 20 min of playing with it and all was kosher.
      stock 97 GLX wagen........

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 AW Passat Wagon
      05-02-2012 01:47 AM #5
      cupholder

6. Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 02:59 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dewkie View Post
      I recalll reading that the silver/blk lth were W.E. I could be misinformed or just dumb, take your pick.

I dont know if its a common issue but my hatch was loose when i got mine too. 20 min of playing with it and all was kosher.
      Not likely a Wolfy. Wolfsburg Edition VW's are late into the production year. It's a marketing ploy to bring people into the showrooms sooner than the fall introduction of the following year models. In my case, my 1997 GLX B4V has a production date of 07/96. That makes solidly a first production run for 1997. A Wolfy would be built at least into 1997.

Thanks for the tip on the rear hatch. I'll fiddle with it some tomorrow. The winds are howling outside right now.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 04:14 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by diagramOSC View Post
      cupholder

Vehicles
      Passat B3 Variant
      05-02-2012 01:42 PM #8
      Anyone else having problems with the pictures?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 01:55 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by vaults View Post
      Anyone else having problems with the pictures?
      Checked w/ my iPhone and also via my PC based laptop which is on a hardline. No issues with the pictures at all.

10. 05-04-2012 07:15 PM #10
      Hey another Nor Cal B4 owner....!!!

I live in Davis......but my family is from San Fran.
      1985 TOYOTA Corolla GT-S, Hatchback, Brilliant Silver, Zenki "Hachi Roku" TRUENO

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-05-2012 07:35 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 1 can 'rado View Post
      Hey another Nor Cal B4 owner....!!!

I live in Davis......but my family is from San Fran.
      Drive through Davis once or twice a month but usually in transit to Reno or Tahoe and in the middle of the night when there is no traffic. This is my 3rd B4.

You might say I'm an 'accidental B4 owner. Had a TDI sedan who's
      drivetrain went inside my black wagon. Then I bought this silver wagon thinking it was just a parts car. Running so well that it's now my daily driver!

I have been organizing the Van-O-Rama Vanagon GTG every September for 11 years. If we can get enough B4 folks, maybe a NorCal GTG would be a possibility.