Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 54

    Thread: I know we have a lot of home-brewers, but does anyone have a still?

    1. Banned TheGreenspanator's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2005
      Location
      Downingtown, PA
      Posts
      5,190
      Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      05-01-2012 02:27 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by crashmtb View Post
      Yes, hello, I have still. Many still. finest of bathtub west of Koblinsk!
      It is to make BORISLAV'S!



      Soon to be arriving, BORISLAV'S CITROEN!
      Made with the zest of real Citroens!

    2. Member Robstr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 8th, 2006
      Location
      South Bend, IN
      Posts
      1,680
      Vehicles
      '07 Mini Cooper S, '91 318is Frankenstien With a built eta swap.
      05-01-2012 02:30 PM #27
      The biggest thing that has prevented me from doing it is I'm not confident that I won't end up with a puddle of methnol and end up offing myself.

      All things considered, it's pretty simple plumbing.
      All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

    3. 05-01-2012 02:37 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by crashmtb View Post

      Soon to be arriving, BORISLAV'S CITROEN!
      Made with the zest of real Citroens!

      Please tell me it is fermented in the hydraulic spheres of 1000 old DS's.

    4. Member crashmtb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 23rd, 2004
      Location
      Ankle deep in Regina
      Posts
      1,752
      Vehicles
      2016 GooseBee Delux, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 1896 Miatadon BananaShade DeVille
      05-01-2012 03:43 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Please tell me it is fermented in the hydraulic spheres of 1000 old DS's.
      No, it is BORISLAV's. So, in bathtubs.
      But it is made FROM fermented those!
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      If someone at GM is reading this, if you give me a Corvette and $28.5m, I'll hand-paint the body of it, I'll breed it with an AIBO, I'll convert it to a boat and drive across SF Bay, I'll drive it through the lobby of Mazda HQ in LA, I'll ship it to China and invade the Forbidden City in it, then I'll drive up to Baikonur in Kazakhstan and have it fired to geosynchronous orbit on a Zenit-3SL rocket.

    5. Member JimmyD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,152
      05-01-2012 04:07 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      The biggest thing that has prevented me from doing it is I'm not confident that I won't end up with a puddle of methnol and end up offing myself.

      All things considered, it's pretty simple plumbing.
      Soooo..... the possibility of federal charges weren't a deterrent?

    6. Banned TheGreenspanator's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2005
      Location
      Downingtown, PA
      Posts
      5,190
      Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      05-01-2012 04:15 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
      Soooo..... the possibility of federal charges weren't a deterrent?
      I'm pretty sure the Feds have a lot bigger fish to fry than someone attempting to make a couple bottles of potentially nearly undrinkable liquor for their own private consumption

    7. Banned FBMphil's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 2006
      Location
      Chicago 'burbs
      Posts
      7,931
      Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      05-01-2012 04:34 PM #32
      I have a bottle of laboratory distilled gin sitting on my desk. I am NOT f***ing trying it

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 10th, 2007
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      1,050
      05-02-2012 06:29 AM #33
      My friends and I made one back when we were 16/17 because getting liquor in our town was such a pain in the ass. We actually brought it to school piece by piece and the shop teacher (unknowingly) built it for us It turned out to be very very well made. We made a few gallons of some nasty, sassy, dirty liquor. We also grew our own tobacco to make cigarettes with. A few months later, we discovered photoshop and made some IDs that looked legit enough to pass at the local liquor store and the still was never used again. My friends and I were pretty resourceful little punks back then

    9. Member kenny301's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 30th, 2001
      Location
      DMV
      Posts
      3,817
      Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      05-02-2012 08:44 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      It's against the law.
      This

      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank View Post
      still illegal to distill without a license, regardless of amount or intent (home use vs reselling)
      and this

      Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenspanator View Post
      I'm pretty sure the Feds have a lot bigger fish to fry than someone attempting to make a couple bottles of potentially nearly undrinkable liquor for their own private consumption
      Well, you are posting about doing it on a high traffic public forum. You'd be surprised how many times the feds go for the minnow instead of the whale. They have the time and resources.

      One of my local home brew stores sells stills, yeast, flavorings, etc for distilling spirits. However, you can only legally buy the still to distill water or herbs. You need a license to do anything else and it is notoriously difficult to get. Also, as said above, if you screw it up you could dead.

    10. 05-02-2012 08:53 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      Well, you are posting about doing it on a high traffic public forum. You'd be surprised how many times the feds go for the minnow instead of the whale. They have the time and resources.

      .
      I'm pretty sure the revenuers are not gonna come up the holler with everything they have just cause I made a quart of horrendous liquor. I mean, hell... where is the evidence? I'm a notorious liar anyway.

      ****, I left a sippy cup full of applejuice under the seat of my car for a few weeks and it fermented. Is I going to FPMITAP?

    11. Member kenny301's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 30th, 2001
      Location
      DMV
      Posts
      3,817
      Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      05-02-2012 09:16 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      I'm pretty sure the revenuers are not gonna come up the holler with everything they have just cause I made a quart of horrendous liquor. I mean, hell... where is the evidence? I'm a notorious liar anyway.

      ****, I left a sippy cup full of applejuice under the seat of my car for a few weeks and it fermented. Is I going to FPMITAP?
      In all likelihood they won’t, but they still could. It depends on how bored your local ATF branch is, how tight lipped your friends are, and how much you screw with your neighbors. I read a story last year about a guy in Alabama who was arrested for home brewing beer. His neighbor called the cops on him due to a feud and it is illegal to brew anything in Alabama. He had several thousand dollars of equipment that were seized and had to post bail. I haven't heard about anything else since then.

    12. Banned TheGreenspanator's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2005
      Location
      Downingtown, PA
      Posts
      5,190
      Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      05-02-2012 09:26 AM #37
      Thanks for your concern Debbie Downer Maybe I'll consider postponing my "Who grows their own pot?" thread now.

      Sent from my shoe phone

    13. Member kenny301's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 30th, 2001
      Location
      DMV
      Posts
      3,817
      Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      05-02-2012 09:37 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenspanator View Post
      Thanks for your concern Debbie Downer Maybe I'll consider postponing my "Who grows their own pot?" thread now.
      Any time

      I am working and it is miserable out. I need everyone to be as dissapointed in everything as I am.

    14. Member JimmyD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,152
      05-02-2012 09:46 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD
      Soooo..... the possibility of federal charges weren't a deterrent?
      Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenspanator View Post
      I'm pretty sure the Feds have a lot bigger fish to fry than someone attempting to make a couple bottles of potentially nearly undrinkable liquor for their own private consumption
      Oh, I absolutely agree with that. However, that fact doesn't guarantee the BATF wouldn't slap down some federal charges on the average Joe making a couple bottles for personal consumption either.

      Regardless, my comment was more or less, toungue-in-cheek forum banter anyways.


      IN SUMMARY: "Ask any distiller, any REAL distiller. It doesn't matter if you distill an ounce or a gallon... distilling is distilling."


    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2001
      Location
      St. Louis MO
      Posts
      1,353
      05-02-2012 09:46 AM #40
      Funny little story. When I was selling my old house and had a city inspector come thru. He walked downstairs into the basement and quickly came back upstairs looking nervous. "sir, um..can we go outside to talk". So we walked outside. "Um..We may have an issue..." I'm thinking he was concerned about the rust on the plumbing stack or slop sink install or something. "You have one hell of a still operation going on down there..You know it's illegal and I don't want trouble.." I interupted him.."No no no...I brew beer. BEER. That's my brewery. It's perfectly legal." "What are the copper coils and hoses and kegs..." "That's all for beer brewing. Seriously..I'll show you how it works." We went back into the basement, I gave him a run down of the process, what was what, etc, etc. I offered him a beer at the end of the little tour. He was actually pretty stoked. "Man...if this was my last inspection of the day I'd hang out for a bit."

    16. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      5,869
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      05-02-2012 09:47 AM #41
      My parents live in the mountains of NC. They *suspect* of someone having one. My dad is a plumber and they'll give him a jar as a tip every now and then He asked if they make it but they say they don't...he doesn't believe him but doesn't push the issue. People are definitely still worried about getting caught it seems. But man, its good stuff. He's got some apple pie flavored right now (apple slices and cinnamon sticks!).

      We also have a legit distillery here in NC, about 20 minutes from my parents house. Its Junior Johnson's place which makes Midnight Moon, Cat Daddy and Lightening Lemonade, all variations of moonshine. The Cat Daddy is my favorite...got a nutmeg taste to it and nice to sip. But its all weak in comparison to the real stuff


      Fun story though. My parents bought their place 6 years ago...born and raised in MD so this was a cultural change for sure. They have a spring fed creek on their property (well, the property line runs through the center of it so). After a few big storms, they were noticing big pieces of wood sticking out of the banks of the creek. After talking to some locals, apparently that creek was used for stills for awhile. Because its spring fed, it was apparently the best for making 'shine and the wood was remnants of the stills.
      Last edited by Rockerchick; 05-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '01 Jetta TDI

    17. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      41,563
      Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-02-2012 09:47 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by crashmtb View Post
      Soon to be arriving, BORISLAV'S CITROEN!
      Made with the zest of real Citroens!
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

      Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

    18. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      41,563
      Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-02-2012 09:48 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      My parents live in the mountains of NC. They *suspect* of someone having one. My dad is a plumber and they'll give him a jar as a tip every now and then He asked if they make it but they say they don't...he doesn't believe him but doesn't push the issue. :
      Deniable plausibility, or something like that.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

      Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

    19. Member JimmyD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,152
      05-02-2012 09:55 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by blksabbath View Post
      Funny little story. When I was selling my old house and had a city inspector come thru. He walked downstairs into the basement and quickly came back upstairs looking nervous. "sir, um..can we go outside to talk". So we walked outside. "Um..We may have an issue..." I'm thinking he was concerned about the rust on the plumbing stack or slop sink install or something. "You have one hell of a still operation going on down there..You know it's illegal and I don't want trouble.." I interupted him.."No no no...I brew beer. BEER. That's my brewery. It's perfectly legal." "What are the copper coils and hoses and kegs..." "That's all for beer brewing. Seriously..I'll show you how it works." We went back into the basement, I gave him a run down of the process, what was what, etc, etc. I offered him a beer at the end of the little tour. He was actually pretty stoked. "Man...if this was my last inspection of the day I'd hang out for a bit."

      That's awesome, Dan!

    20. 05-02-2012 10:07 AM #45
      IDK, i've had some of the BEST backyard stuff and some of the store bought stuff, it all tastes wretched. I've never had any of the flavored stuff, so i don't know if thats better. I see no reason to distill it, i'll drink just about anything over it.

    21. Member VDubby18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 15th, 2007
      Location
      Fort Worth, TX.
      Posts
      3,774
      05-02-2012 01:00 PM #46
      Last year at my fire departments christmas party we did a chinese christmas gift exchange. One of our captains brought a big mason jar of moonshine. The guy who picked it didn't believe it was real, so he opened it. Well just about everyone knows that a pressurized mason jar is under... pressure! So he had to pry the little metal cap off and it spilled all over him. Damn that stuff smelled strong.

    22. Banned FBMphil's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 2006
      Location
      Chicago 'burbs
      Posts
      7,931
      Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      05-02-2012 02:08 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
      IDK, i've had some of the BEST backyard stuff and some of the store bought stuff, it all tastes wretched. I've never had any of the flavored stuff, so i don't know if thats better. I see no reason to distill it, i'll drink just about anything over it.
      +1

      It just doesn't appeal to me.

    23. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      5,869
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      05-02-2012 02:44 PM #48
      I've not had plain of the real stuff. To me, the stuff in the store just tastes like vodka. No real difference. I know the Midnight Moon is cut so the proof is lower than it would be normally and maybe that's why. I'm not a huge fan of it. But the Cat Daddy is good. And all the flavored I've had has been excellent. Strawberry, blueberry (or blackberry...don't remember) and apple pie. The real stuff is definitely something you sip. But man, its good. Strong for sure though.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '01 Jetta TDI

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2001
      Location
      St. Louis MO
      Posts
      1,353
      05-02-2012 03:08 PM #49
      I got some from my brother in laws family in Kentucky as a christmas present a few years ago. I was blown away by how clean it was. I really didn't mix it with juice or anything like that, just straight. Although I had a keg of porter that didn't finish out and I tried to cut it with about a pint of the kentucky christmas present...it worked I suppose. Not an award winning beer, but it made it more fun to drink anyways.

      As far as diy. It's not too hard to do if you understand what you are doing. Lots and lots and lots of books, websites, etc etc. out there to help if you want to do a little more research.

    25. Banned patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      32,232
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      05-02-2012 10:09 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenspanator View Post
      Can you make your own white whiskey for your own consumption?
      No*

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •