Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know we have a lot of home-brewers, but does anyone have a still?

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      05-01-2012 09:49 AM #1
      I forget how this came up in conversation, but my husband and I know people who make their own homemade wine and beer, but I don't think I know anyone who has a still. Maybe because I'm in PA and not in the mountains of PA? I don't know. We both think having a still would be way cooler. But I figured at least a couple of you would have some insight. Can you make your own white whiskey for your own consumption? (I realize I can google this.)

05-01-2012 09:52 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenspanator View Post
      I forget how this came up in conversation, but my husband and I know people who make their own homemade wine and beer, but I don't think I know anyone who has a still. Maybe because I'm in PA and not in the mountains of PA? I don't know. We both think having a still would be way cooler. But I figured at least a couple of you would have some insight. Can you make your own white whiskey for your own consumption? (I realize I can google this.)
      I'm pretty sure you can make your own for your own consumption - but when the tax-man cometh, he'd better not find an acre site and tons of corn-mash.

we made a stovetop-still in college and got everyone seriously hammered off of what amounted to cherry flavored gasoline. Good times.

3. Member
      05-01-2012 09:52 AM #3
      I've been kicking around the idea of a still. I found a super easy DIY on youtube a while back the involved a hot-plate, pressure cooker, and some copper tubing more or less.

05-01-2012 09:53 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      I've been kicking around the idea of a still. I found a super easy DIY on youtube a while back the involved a hot-plate, pressure cooker, and some copper tubing more or less.
      This is what we did but on the small burner of the stove

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      05-01-2012 09:53 AM #5
      My junior year of college I lived with a guy who was from Franklin County, VA- "The Moonshine Capital of the World". He used to bring back mason jars with him after vacations, some with just moonshine and others with cherries fermenting in moonshine.

Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-01-2012 09:53 AM #6
      It's against the law.

05-01-2012 09:55 AM #7
      Not sayin'
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      '07 Jetta 2.0t
      05-01-2012 09:55 AM #8
      still illegal to distill without a license, regardless of amount or intent (home use vs reselling)

Vehicles
      89 Cabriolet, 89 Jetta 03 A6 Avant, 08 Tribeca, 2012 powerwheels Jeep
      05-01-2012 10:25 AM #9
      I started to put one together about 15 years ago but lost patients and interest. My neighbor has a brother that makes "Apple pie" regularly and hooks me up with a few jars. It's basically apple flavored everclear. Good ****.
      Sent from my Droid using an escape pod to Tattoine.

Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      they're trying to skip out on their contracts via rapture. not very christian of them

05-01-2012 10:28 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      I started to put one together about 15 years ago but lost patients and interest. My neighbor has a brother that makes "Apple pie" regularly and hooks me up with a few jars. It's basically apple flavored everclear. Good ****.
      A friend's bro-in-law makes that. Good ****....but it'll put hair on your taint
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      05-01-2012 10:29 AM #12
      I had one, but it blowed up. it blowed up real good!
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      05-01-2012 10:34 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      Yeah we have friends from down south whose neighbors experiment with different flavors. The blackberry could take the paint off your car, but one time they filled a bottle that had a finger or two of peppermint schnapps left in the bottom? That stuff was awesome, AND it would knock you on your ass without you seeing it coming. Almost too smooth

13. 05-01-2012 10:41 AM #14
      I have (had) a tea kettle still that I ran on a hot plate in my garage. I have pretty much unlimited access to cider and apples in the fall, so I usually use that as my mash. My stuff is AWFUL. Last time I did it I made three runs and got about a quart. Awful stuff. Make you go blind and have retarded kids. I drank it, but still...

14. 05-01-2012 10:56 AM #15
      You can brew all you want as long as you're "legit", meaning you get taxed on what you sell (as I'm sure you all know).

...and I just found out yesterday that a friend died from some bad 'shine over the weekend...

Even with the advances in technology it can still be lethal for you...

Mike
      "You guys get out, I've got places to go" - Steve Mahan, Google self driving car user #0001. Watch the video on Youtube, it's awesome!!!

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      91 GTI 1.8t, 07 Rabbit
      05-01-2012 11:07 AM #16
      My friends grandfather used to make some white lighting. That stuff was smooth and would sneak up on you.
      Quote Originally Posted by VikingVR6GTI View Post
      Yep, that was my first thought too. A nice set does not automatically make a chick attractive. Especially when that "chick" is a dude.

Vehicles
      4.5 GLI
      05-01-2012 12:52 PM #17
      I have some in the fridge from my great uncle who's been making it for the better part of 50 years. It taste like burning all the way down.
      (_fishbowl society_)™
      "So you wake up one day and decide "thats it, I am going to put the devil script on my face and balls in my forehead!"

Vehicles
      '07 Golf City
      05-01-2012 12:52 PM #18
      I don't have a still.....yet. I do brew my own beer so I have a good start on some of the equipment needed. I've heard that some provinces here allow a small amount for personal consumption.

My grandfather does it back in Ontario though. He'll mostly make Croatian plumb brandy since it's what he did back home. Otherwise he may take older wine and distill it. He's tried puting oak chips in from wine kits to give it some flavour. It's no fined barrel aged whiskey by any means but it's drinkable.

At least with him, it's not about just getting all alcohol so he'll actually try to get some nice flavour out of it. It's probably close to the 50% range like most store bought liquors.

There's also an older guy here that I met while watching a soccer game at the Croatian centre that does a large amount of plumb brandy. It's nice to know I can get it locally in between visits to Europe.

18. 05-01-2012 01:00 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      It's against the law.
      So are a lot of things people do everyday.

19. 05-01-2012 01:45 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Vrucizzy View Post
      large amount of plumb brandy.
      You can ferment lead?

My family has some history with illicit liquor production dating back to the late 1800's, but nothing major. Just a still in the woods, like most of Appalachia. I have a couple bottles of wine/brandy/something I'm not about to open that came from a stash in my grandparents basement. It must have been pretty bad stuff if my alcoholic grandfather would not touch it.
      Last edited by winstonsmith84; 05-01-2012 at 01:48 PM.

20. 05-01-2012 01:48 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      You can ferment lead?
      Not without it leaving a metallic aftertaste.

Vehicles
      03 Golf, 94 GS500, 13 WRX
      05-01-2012 02:05 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post
      I had one, but it blowed up. it blowed up real good!
      Lemme see if I can tell this story the right way...

My great-grandmother's brother-in-law set up a still in his basement back in the day. Went boom. They ended up moving into a chicken coop they were in the middle of constructing. The alcoholic brother-in-law came home drunk one night and blew his own brains across the wall with a shotgun, the sister sold the (coop) house to my great-grandmother.

That was the same great-grandmother who grew a pretty herb in her garden that my uncles would take to town and sell to supplement her social security.

The one family reunion I went to at that house was quite interesting.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      05-01-2012 02:19 PM #24
      My grandfather and his brother's had stills going during prohibition. 400 acres of corn between them and 3 cows to milk
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      2016 GooseBee Delux, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 1896 Miatadon BananaShade DeVille
      05-01-2012 02:25 PM #25
      Yes, hello, I have still. Many still. finest of bathtub west of Koblinsk!
      It is to make BORISLAV'S!

Soon to be arriving, BORISLAV'S CITROEN!
      Made with the zest of real Citroens!
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      If someone at GM is reading this, if you give me a Corvette and $28.5m, I'll hand-paint the body of it, I'll breed it with an AIBO, I'll convert it to a boat and drive across SF Bay, I'll drive it through the lobby of Mazda HQ in LA, I'll ship it to China and invade the Forbidden City in it, then I'll drive up to Baikonur in Kazakhstan and have it fired to geosynchronous orbit on a Zenit-3SL rocket.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 02:27 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by crashmtb View Post
      Yes, hello, I have still. Many still. finest of bathtub west of Koblinsk!
      It is to make BORISLAV'S!

Vehicles
      '07 Mini Cooper S, '91 318is Frankenstien With a built eta swap.
      05-01-2012 02:30 PM #27
      The biggest thing that has prevented me from doing it is I'm not confident that I won't end up with a puddle of methnol and end up offing myself.

All things considered, it's pretty simple plumbing.
      All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

26. 05-01-2012 02:37 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by crashmtb View Post

Please tell me it is fermented in the hydraulic spheres of 1000 old DS's.

Vehicles
      2016 GooseBee Delux, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 1896 Miatadon BananaShade DeVille
      05-01-2012 03:43 PM #29
      Please tell me it is fermented in the hydraulic spheres of 1000 old DS's.
      No, it is BORISLAV's. So, in bathtubs.
      But it is made FROM fermented those!
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      If someone at GM is reading this, if you give me a Corvette and $28.5m, I'll hand-paint the body of it, I'll breed it with an AIBO, I'll convert it to a boat and drive across SF Bay, I'll drive it through the lobby of Mazda HQ in LA, I'll ship it to China and invade the Forbidden City in it, then I'll drive up to Baikonur in Kazakhstan and have it fired to geosynchronous orbit on a Zenit-3SL rocket.

05-01-2012 04:07 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      The biggest thing that has prevented me from doing it is I'm not confident that I won't end up with a puddle of methnol and end up offing myself.

All things considered, it's pretty simple plumbing.
      Soooo..... the possibility of federal charges weren't a deterrent?

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 04:15 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
      Soooo..... the possibility of federal charges weren't a deterrent?
      I'm pretty sure the Feds have a lot bigger fish to fry than someone attempting to make a couple bottles of potentially nearly undrinkable liquor for their own private consumption

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      05-01-2012 04:34 PM #32
      I have a bottle of laboratory distilled gin sitting on my desk. I am NOT f***ing trying it

31. Member
      05-02-2012 06:29 AM #33
      My friends and I made one back when we were 16/17 because getting liquor in our town was such a pain in the ass. We actually brought it to school piece by piece and the shop teacher (unknowingly) built it for us It turned out to be very very well made. We made a few gallons of some nasty, sassy, dirty liquor. We also grew our own tobacco to make cigarettes with. A few months later, we discovered photoshop and made some IDs that looked legit enough to pass at the local liquor store and the still was never used again. My friends and I were pretty resourceful little punks back then

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      05-02-2012 08:44 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      It's against the law.
      This

Quote Originally Posted by sirswank View Post
      still illegal to distill without a license, regardless of amount or intent (home use vs reselling)
      and this

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenspanator View Post
      I'm pretty sure the Feds have a lot bigger fish to fry than someone attempting to make a couple bottles of potentially nearly undrinkable liquor for their own private consumption
      Well, you are posting about doing it on a high traffic public forum. You'd be surprised how many times the feds go for the minnow instead of the whale. They have the time and resources.

One of my local home brew stores sells stills, yeast, flavorings, etc for distilling spirits. However, you can only legally buy the still to distill water or herbs. You need a license to do anything else and it is notoriously difficult to get. Also, as said above, if you screw it up you could dead.

33. 05-02-2012 08:53 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      Well, you are posting about doing it on a high traffic public forum. You'd be surprised how many times the feds go for the minnow instead of the whale. They have the time and resources.

I'm pretty sure the revenuers are not gonna come up the holler with everything they have just cause I made a quart of horrendous liquor. I mean, hell... where is the evidence? I'm a notorious liar anyway.

****, I left a sippy cup full of applejuice under the seat of my car for a few weeks and it fermented. Is I going to FPMITAP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast