27 32.93%
    • Keep Car - Service myself

17 20.73%
    • Sell Car Before Warranty Runs Out

18 21.95%
    • Other - Please explain

10 12.20%
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Luxury Car Owners: What's your plan AFTER warranty expires?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      05-01-2012 09:19 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      Yeah, that's the answer.. rather than the moral high road of manufacturers not boning their clientele.
      So manufacturers are morally wrong because they sell cars at certain prices, and allow the public to purchase them, if they chose to do so, via various, clear-cut and well explained means? And in this day and age, with all of the information avialable, if one still chooses to overextend himself to purchase something that is out of his reach, it's the seller fault?

2. 05-01-2012 09:23 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      So manufacturers are morally wrong because they sell cars at certain prices, and allow the public to purchase them, if they chose to do so, via various, clear-cut and well explained means? And in this day and age, with all of the information avialable, if one still chooses to overextend himself to purchase something that is out of his reach, it's the seller fault?
      This isn't about being over extended, it's about the fact that I think it's downright ****ty for car manufacturers to KNOW the average length of a conventional loan (60 months) and elect to (in recent years even) shorten their warranties.

This is a separate instance from paying for your vehicle in year 3 and 4 and having repairs possibly gouge at your pocket book. Obviously some cars run trouble free, some don't.

So, Mr. Moneybags, what's life like taking out 36 month (or less) loans on a new car, since you're so adamant that's what the world should be doing?

P.S Taking a 16,000 dollar car without accounting for interest or taxes is still $444.44 a month for 36 months. Would you care to point out any NEW cars below this price point you can buy on a loan for 36 months that don't exceed $350 and don't suck AND haul a family of 4 comfortably? (My personal max at the moment).

Hell you can't even buy a lot of 'decent' used cars for less than $16k right now, and then the warranty on those is already gone in a lot of cases (not accounting for buying extended)
      Last edited by Grey Mouser; 05-01-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      05-01-2012 09:25 PM #28
      The Passat will be 10 years old this year and has only needed CV bootsand the coolant sensor replaced. I'm not worried about the A4 after warranty expires. Got a VAGCOM so I will most likely do the repair myself.

05-01-2012 09:29 PM #29
      Keep car - service anywhere (including dealer).

Out of warranty for a year now. Friday, I'll have a shop replace the front struts. 900$ job. Very bad roads here.

I budgeted 5400$ over 3 years for out of warranty repaired , not including what would not be covered under warranty (tires...).

I assumed 7 years total.... might be 8-9 if I lower my annual mileage.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      05-01-2012 09:36 PM #30
      Step 1 - not care
      Step 2 - enjoy car

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      05-01-2012 09:38 PM #31
      Not mine, but in the family

had a 100k extended warranty through mercedes, and it was a nightmare and a half to get them to warranty some work, but eventually they did

I would not go with a 3rd party extended warranty, I did the math, and chances are if you have a huge bill on a 4/5 year old car, thats worth less than 20 grand, you are going to trade it in.

It all depends on how you maintain the car. If when you purchase it you want to keep it for good, you treat the car different, anyone know what im talking about?

Unless is a huge electrical mess, independent shop is your best bet, I dont know how bmw works, but many mercedes parts need a trip to the dealer once they have been installed.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      05-01-2012 09:44 PM #32
      This isn't about being over extended, it's about the fact that I think it's downright ****ty for car manufacturers to KNOW the average length of a conventional loan (60 months) and elect to (in recent years even) shorten their warranties.

This is a separate instance from paying for your vehicle in year 3 and 4 and having repairs possibly gouge at your pocket book. Obviously some cars run trouble free, some don't.

So, Mr. Moneybags, what's life like taking out 36 month (or less) loans on a new car, since you're so adamant that's what the world should be doing?

P.S Taking a 16,000 dollar car without accounting for interest or taxes is still $444.44 a month for 36 months. Would you care to point out any NEW cars below this price point you can buy on a loan for 36 months that don't exceed $350 and don't suck AND haul a family of 4 comfortably? (My personal max at the moment).

Hell you can't even buy a lot of 'decent' used cars for less than $16k right now, and then the warranty on those is already gone in a lot of cases (not accounting for buying extended)
      For one, many offer powertrain warranties to 60K miles, as that's where you'll likely have the highest repair costs, should any arise.

If you're looking at it strictly from a monthly payment standpoint, you have lease options that are far below that, for something like an Accord or Jetta (buddy leased a 2012 Jetta GLI with $0 down and $350 for 36 months, 15k miles per year).

There are plenty of used cars that can carry 4 in comfort and safety. Perhaps there are no NEW cars that meet your exact criteria of price point and carrying 4, limited to a purchase and not a lease, but there are plenty of other options such as used private party, CPO, or lease as already mentioned.

And for reference, you can buy a Kia Forte around $15K+taxes, or a Rio and Soul for $13.5K each, and all come with a 10yr/100k miles warranty. They are not going to have the same rear seat room as a Town Car, but they are certainly acceptable for kids or average height adults.

Another example is the Jetta, which has a 60k miles powertrain warranty, and will certainly seat 4 adults in comfort, and retails from just under $17K. This is obviously a bit higher than your price point, but you can buy a slightly used one for $16K or less, plus taxes.

I don't have bags of money, and I never claimed to either. I simply stated that overextending to buy something rests solely on the consumer, and the auto manufacturer. I can tell you that life is quite good living within my means, and I'm hoping that yours is as well.

8. 05-01-2012 09:47 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      For one, many offer powertrain warranties to 60K miles, as that's where you'll likely have the highest repair costs, should any arise.

If you're looking at it strictly from a monthly payment standpoint, you have lease options that are far below that, for something like an Accord or Jetta (buddy leased a 2012 Jetta GLI with $0 down and $350 for 36 months, 15k miles per year).

There are plenty of used cars that can carry 4 in comfort and safety. Perhaps there are no NEW cars that meet your exact criteria of price point and carrying 4, limited to a purchase and not a lease, but there are plenty of other options such as used private party, CPO, or lease as already mentioned.

And for reference, you can buy a Kia Forte around $15K+taxes, or a Rio and Soul for $13.5K each, and all come with a 10yr/100k miles warranty. They are not going to have the same rear seat room as a Town Car, but they are certainly acceptable for kids or average height adults.

Another example is the Jetta, which has a 60k miles powertrain warranty, and will certainly seat 4 adults in comfort, and retails from just under $17K. This is obviously a bit higher than your price point, but you can buy a slightly used one for $16K or less, plus taxes.

I don't have bags of money, and I never claimed to either. I simply stated that overextending to buy something rests solely on the consumer, and the auto manufacturer. I can tell you that life is quite good living within my means, and I'm hoping that yours is as well.
      While most MFG's do go to 50/60k power train, I find the little non-powertrain things to be where the repairs come in for us historically. Radiator end caps warping (plastic! grrr), window regs, electronics or electrical.. none of that is covered under a power train.

We live within our means for sure, even more so now that the wife only works part time. It's just frustrating to even think about car repairs at year 3+ when a loan is still being paid on. Maybe it's just a personal peeve of mine.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      A Diesel and two Wagons
      05-01-2012 09:49 PM #34
      Pick a good tech at your dealership during warranty period and befriend with him/her.
      Call him/her after warranty expires!

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      05-01-2012 09:52 PM #35
      We don't usually drive a car past the warranty period. The only exceptions: Cars we reeeeally like for sentimental reasons. But we never put a lot of miles on our cars anyhow...

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU Sahara
      05-01-2012 09:58 PM #36
      The average length of a loan is 60 months because people are buying cars that are too expensive. If you could buy a $2,000,000 home with a 100 year mortgage, would you do it? How long is a warranty on a home anyway?

If you don't want a car that is not under warranty, buy one you can pay off within the warranty period.
      Teefy Buna

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

12. 05-01-2012 10:04 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by ThreadBomber View Post
      The average length of a loan is 60 months because people are buying cars that are too expensive. If you could buy a $2,000,000 home with a 100 year mortgage, would you do it? How long is a warranty on a home anyway?

If you don't want a car that is not under warranty, buy one you can pay off within the warranty period.
      I'm not so sure about that. I mean.. we just bought a base CX-7 to drop our monthly down from 430/mo (JSW TDI) to 330/mo due to some budget slashing and we're still on track to make more than the average household income for our region. Oddly insurance went up $20/mo so that's a bummer.

*shrug*

Other budget cuts coming (cable comes to mind)... we re-fi'd the home last year and dropped our rate a good bit and our payment.

Eh different strokes for different folks.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      05-01-2012 10:05 PM #38
      While most MFG's do go to 50/60k power train, I find the little non-powertrain things to be where the repairs come in for us historically. Radiator end caps warping (plastic! grrr), window regs, electronics or electrical.. none of that is covered under a power train.

We live within our means for sure, even more so now that the wife only works part time. It's just frustrating to even think about car repairs at year 3+ when a loan is still being paid on. Maybe it's just a personal peeve of mine.
      It certainly would be frustrating to do any significant repair within 3 to 4 years on a brand new car, assuming it's not driven excessively. In many cases, buying a slightly older used model is even more beneficial in that it has less complexities, and thus less that can go wrong (e.g. no regenerative braking system, start/stop feature, cylinder deactivation, etc.).

Vehicles
      All of Them
      05-01-2012 10:15 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      DIY.

Why should the price of the car matter?
      not sure if my car counts as a luxury car but... this.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      05-01-2012 10:16 PM #40
      ITT: owners of German cars worry

16. 05-01-2012 10:19 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      ITT: owners of German cars worry
      I worry about any car, German or Japanese.

My wifes Protege 5 is coming up on 10 years old.. not too many failures thankfully. Oil pan gasket, radiator, one window reg. It's due for new tie rod ends and sway link ends due to rotted boots, but the last two years have mostly been gas and oil changes. It's showing it's age these days but still pretty fun to drive.

17. 05-01-2012 10:24 PM #42
      I think the poll would be a lot more meaningful if the country/region of origin was specified. Somebody with a Lexus LS is probably going be more willing to own out of warranty than an E60 M5.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 10:27 PM #43
      I worry about any car, German or Japanese.

My wifes Protege 5 is coming up on 10 years old.. not too many failures thankfully. Oil pan gasket, radiator, one window reg. It's due for new tie rod ends and sway link ends due to rotted boots, but the last two years have mostly been gas and oil changes. It's showing it's age these days but still pretty fun to drive.
      I'd argue 10 years is very different than the 4-5 years we're talking about in this thread.

19. 05-01-2012 10:28 PM #44
      I'd argue 10 years is very different than the 4-5 years we're talking about in this thread.
      That doesn't mean that cars under 5 years old are immune to failure.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 10:30 PM #45
      That doesn't mean that cars under 5 years old are immune to failure.
      uh, yeah, obviously. But it's a lot more likely that a 10+ y/o one will than a

21. 05-01-2012 10:31 PM #46
      [QUOTE=Chris Stack;77191243] uh, yeah, obviously. But it's a lot more likely that a 10+ y/o one will than a

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 10:40 PM #47
      What I have a problem with is still being in a loan in year 4 and 5 and dealing with repairs. Once it's paid off I can cope with repairs if I've opted to keep the car.
      either don't finance the car for so long, or don't drive so much. A 48-60k mile car (12k miles/yr) shouldn't have any significant problems.

23. 05-01-2012 10:42 PM #48
      either don't finance the car for so long, or don't drive so much. A 48-60k mile car (12k miles/yr) shouldn't have any significant problems.
      Option 1 isn't feasible for a lot of folks. A 16k car as I previously pointed out is 444/mo at 36 months. While it gets you paid faster, that's more than anyone is going to want to pay monthly for that class of car.

I drive under 12k a year personally, my wife drives much more.. 20K+ most years.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 10:43 PM #49
      Option 1 isn't feasible for a lot of folks. A 16k car as I previously pointed out is 444/mo at 36 months. While it gets you paid faster, that's more than anyone is going to want to pay monthly for that class of car.

I drive under 12k a year personally, my wife drives much more.. 20K+ most years.
      Than maybe your figurative person should buy a $2500 used car.

25. 05-01-2012 10:45 PM #50
      Than maybe your figurative person should buy a $2500 used car.
      Have you seen what $2500 gets you these days?

We make a comfortable living, a little less so with a 2.5 year old in day care now but expenses add up quick. Cutting some of our 'luxuries' are not far off.. as I said earlier we traded our TDI JSW in for a real stripped down CX-7 to save us $100/mo plus any out of warranty repair since we were already at 40k in 2 years on it.

As for the gas differential... our JSW TDI never got impressive numbers, it was a common 'complaint' I gave with each 10k service. Always 'everything checked out' and my wife (primary driver) is by no means a lead foot.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast