Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: EVAP Pump CEL 2010 GTI- 2.0T TSI.

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      05-01-2012 10:53 PM #1
      Hey guys, I tried this over at the GTI MKVI section and nobody had a clue.

I had a CEL come on about a month ago, full VAGCOM scan gave me this:

1 Fault Found:
      009216 - EVAP Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit
      P2400 - 000 - Malfunction - MIL ON
      Freeze Frame:
      Fault Status: 11100000
      Fault Priority: 0
      Fault Frequency: 4
      Mileage: 59055 km
      Time Indication: 0
      Date: 2022.14.07
      Time: 10:13:28

Freeze Frame:
      RPM: 2148 /min
      Load: 9.0 %
      Speed: 38.0 km/h
      Temperature: 57.0°C
      Temperature: 21.0°C
      Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
      Voltage: 14.224 V

Everybody on the MKVI section thought it was possibly the gas cap. Since those suggestions the dealership has replaced the gas cap, replaced the Evap LDP, and I have tried locating any leaks multiple times.

Does anybody have ANY clue on what is going on here? The dealer suggested (after I admitted under much distress) that it could be the Stage 1 flash (short of some sort). I for one don't buy it. It doesn't affect the drivability of the car in any way, and ultimately, it doesn't matter because I moved from Cali (where I bought the car) a year ago to Florida and there are no emissions tests here. However, I HATE that stupid CEL being on every time I turn my car on.

Thoughts? Help? Anybody see this in their car?
      2010 MKVI GTI, Stage 1 APR tune and Stage 1 Carbonio CAI (soon).

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      05-02-2012 03:17 PM #2
      Are you a CCTA or CBFA?
      I assume since you came from California you havea CBFA

Have you inspected the evap lines around your intake manifold?
      :APR -stage 2 :BSH -Intake,Mounts,RSB,TB Pipe :Whiteline -A.L.K.,Endlinks :Porsche 17Z BBK
      :Devils Own -DVC-30+Direct Port Injection :BC Racing -BR Coilovers :Flik-FTD :OSIR
      :Neuspeed:Eurojet -Ceramic Coated DP :DEFI :Unibrace :Tyrolsport :Bildon :Hawk
      TSI FAQ: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      05-02-2012 06:32 PM #3
      CBFA. Haven't done that yet. I'm not super familiar with this engine like I was with my 1.8T. Also, I bet the guys here in Florida rarely work on CBFA engines.

Can you give me some clues as to what I'm looking for? I know where the intake manifold is, but size, material, location of said lines?

Thanks!!

4. 05-03-2012 05:34 PM #4
      I have the same vag-com code p2400-000. EVAP Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit. My CEL has been on forever, **** is driving me nuts. Today a friend and I did some maintence on the car. Installed new spark plugs, coilpacks, oil and oil filter, new (d verision) diverter valve and also removed forge spacer valve. Code still won't go away p2400. Need help on this asap. My hand points to either a pcv valve, or the car tune via apr.

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      05-03-2012 06:39 PM #5
      Yeah man, same deal. It's been on for about a month and a half for me. Nobody can seem to figure it out. Dealer says its the ECU, but I think that's just a bunch of crap. No way would it suddenly go bad after 25k of driving on it. Keep me updated if you figure it out!

6. 05-04-2012 02:18 PM #6
      my car just hit 28k miles. And my tune has been on the car since about 1500 miles on the car. My cel has been on for at least 2yrs, its driving me nuts.

7. 05-04-2012 03:24 PM #7
      control circuit implies the ecm, wiring, and the LDP since those are the components in the circuit. this is an electrical issue not a vacuum supply issue as has been suggested. vacuum supply problem would throw a leak fault. check the wiring from the ecm to the ldp for open or shorts. if the wiring is ok checked the pin tension of the wiring ends this has been an issue. fuse sb15 at the fuse box by the battery powers this as well as the o2 sensor heater.

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      05-04-2012 05:43 PM #8
      So, as I had previously checked the pins and tension of the socket at the LDP previously and everything checked out, I decided to check the fuses (for a second time) as well as the wiring harness coming from the ECU. I found this on the ECU wiring harness....

WHAT THE FREAK!?

Giant sparked out short hole in my wiring harness.... I figure this is the culprit... I wonder if busting open the ECU for a flash caused some sort of short down the line? (25,000 miles down the line to be exact).

Do you think this is something I should take up with APR?

9. 05-15-2012 12:26 AM #9
      Any new news? Cel still on? My cel still won't go away

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      05-04-2013 01:09 PM #10
      Hey guys, I finally was able to resolve the issues plaguing my GTI.

I had just been living with the CEL on for some time. It really wasn't that big of an issue for me, other than the little light mocking me wherever I drove. I got over it. Then other things started going wrong. My fans started running on high, all the time. They would only stop after the car had been turned off for about 5-10 minutes. This was draining my battery, and I had two go bad over the course of six weeks. That was enough for me. I took the car to a dealership I hadn't been to previously for service in my local area. I locked out the APR tune and just told them there were no modifications to the car.

Luckily for me, I bought my car from a dealer who had been using it as a demo car. They sold it to me with a certified pre-owned warranty and lo and behold, it was still good to go. They preformed my 50k service, replaced the ECU, fan unit and battery (all of which they say was caused by the ecu going down... not so sure about that). My total bill was just over $350.

I definitely lucked out on this one. The only problem is, I don't have the tune anymore.... but I'm not so sure I want it. At this point in my life, I just want my damn car to run correctly. It's just not worth it to crack open a two thousand dollar part and mess around with it. The elements (especially in humid environments) really can, and DO affect a tuned car. I'm guessing the seal was weak, and caused some short via moisture, to happen on the ecu board. If APR found out some way to load a tune via the OBD port, I might consider getting another one... but at this point, it's just not worth it.

This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening to tuned cars (especially from the good folks here on vortex). I loved the APR tunes accessibility and ease of use. The car was a blast to drive with the 93 and 100 octane files... but that time of my life is now over.

Anybody else forsaking tuning their cars in the future for this exact reason?

Cheers gents, thanks for all the help on this issue.