So long story short i received this amazing 91 GTI 16v for next to nothing. it was in the middle of a hood like area in a back yard where it has been sitting since 1997! the man said it was towed and parked there in 97 because of a transmission problem but it ran when it was parked. when we found it, there was a opossum living under the hood and the whole engine bay was filled from the ground to the hood with leaves and brush that made up the animals home. it actually preserved everything and after cleaning out the leaves, the bay was mint. but its getting a tdi swapped in but thats a different story. but when i found the car, the first thing that caught my eye was the wheels. it had 3 BBS RMs on it and i hoped that the fourth wheel was in the car. it wasnt and i was crushed until i saw it leaning up against a fence about 15 ft away. success!!
so after getting the car home i was able to take all the rims off and clean them
a few cleaned up very nicely
snuck them on my buddys mk2
so many months go by of the rims sitting in my garage like this till one day i brought them to work and decided to split them
stripped the clear coat off one of the lips
so i wanted to get bigger lips since the beginning and i was even saving what little extra money i could towards them. i wanted 3.5in lips in the rear and 2.5in for the front with new bolts and would have really wanted to paint the wheels or refinish them to the oem color but i dont have any money to really throw at these wheels and i even needed to use the money i saved for other expenses so i was basically screwed. but at Dustoff this year i stumbled upon these perfect 3in lips and i couldnt leave without them. bought. **** expenses.
the wheels were back on track (i almost bought another set of wheels instead)
had some 15in tires to mock up real quick
So then since i have no money for new bolts of anything i decided to paint the old ones. the idea was a copper color for the bolts but didnt turn out as planned but i kind of like them better the way they did.
So while those were drying i had to figure out what to do about new valve stems. i left the old ones at home in CT while i live in RI and i felt like new ones are needed anyways. so i did some research and had a buddy pick up some valve stems at a harley davidson dealership. the nuts they came with were way too big to clear the angles on the lips so they would not work, nevermind even fit on the stock 0.5in lips. so while using the nuts off the old valve stems, i ran into a problem...
so i went and got the longest harley davidson stems they had but they were still a tad too short
so i cut the rm nuts a little bit, mint
so then the bolts were done enough to touch but not screw in
And i will be sealing them and bolting them up tomorrow hopefully but that is all for tonight