Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Suspension Mods

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '12 beetle turbo, '09 MINI Clubman S, '12 Q5
      05-02-2012 06:09 AM #1
      Who has done any suspension mods, I.E. springs, coil overs, bags. We need a suspension section for this platform. I want to do H&R springs, but want to do it right. I suppose I'll have to hang out in the GTI or Golf section, as I'm told our turbo beetles have the GTI suspension bolted to them.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      05-02-2012 06:42 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
      Who has done any suspension mods, I.E. springs, coil overs, bags. We need a suspension section for this platform. I want to do H&R springs, but want to do it right. I suppose I'll have to hang out in the GTI or Golf section, as I'm told our turbo beetles have the GTI suspension bolted to them.
      Some simple ones to consider would be upgrades to the OEM 'Front Control Arm Bushings',
      the 'Rear Trailer Arm Bushings', 'The Torgue 'Dog Bone Mount Insert' and 'The Upper Motor
      Mount'. Emulating the Durometer 'stiffness' level of cushioning existing in the Golf R will require
      these components to be 25% higher than the Turbo Beetle's OEM levels which means bringing
      things up to 75 Durometers. This is especially important if you are intending to install a Stage I
      ECU (from APR) since that upgrade will not only add 50+ hp but 90+ torque as well. Even
      without adding the Stage I, keep in mind that the Turbo Beetle has a torque level of 207 which
      in itself allows high torque response on take-offs. The earlier mentioned upgrades will help
      immensely in keeping your Beetle more firmly planted to the ground through all driving
      conditions. Hopefully, your car already has the Sport Suspension but if not then that area should
      also be addressed with regard to an upgrade.

Vehicles
      '15 GTI Autobahn
      05-02-2012 10:35 AM #3
      This thread covers suspension mods:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Lowered-Thread....

I have H&R super sport springs on my Beetle Turbo that I took off of my 2010 Golf, and they work fine

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '12 beetle turbo, '09 MINI Clubman S, '12 Q5
      05-02-2012 01:06 PM #4
      Great, thanks for the link.

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      '12 VW Beetle Turbo SSN, '00 Audi TT
      05-05-2012 10:23 AM #5
      210thumper, vdub10golf, other mod experts,

Love my '12 Beetle Turbo (all options - SSN, 19 inch wheels/rims, pods in place, candy white on black leather) for the sleek design both in and out. Not sure about the soft suspension and numb steering. Feeling I need to do something.

Running skyline drive and other fun twisties in the Santa Cruz mountains shows the car understeers and is not planted firm enough on the road. ESP kicks in too early.

In freeway driving the steering feels sticky and not precise enough. Freeway driving = long swooping turns with minimal wheel turn and minimal torque load.

Mind you my reference is an '00 Audi TT with original suspension and steering setup. I.e. crisp and possibly too aggressive for the masses. Audi had an early recall to detune the neutral handling in favor of some under steer after some high speed spin outs in Germany that were blamed on the original steering/suspension setup as being too direct for inexperienced drivers.

What mods do you recommend to get the steering to be more crisp? Less under steer. Less numbness around the center and when only under light torque loads.

Secondly what suspension mods are sufficient to get less bounce, better turn in, etc without making the ride bumpy and the car too low? I live in an area with steep driveways.

Finally, any comments on wheel rub with the spacers in place? Love the stance on 210thumpers ride. Wondering if any compromises?

TIA

6. 07-03-2012 02:33 AM #6
      I used H&R on my 2012 Beetle.

2012 VW BEETLE (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post78346625)
      2012 BMW X6M
      2007 BMW M6 CONVERTIBLE

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal, Ferrari. But seriously, Ferrari.
      07-03-2012 01:16 PM #7
      I haven't installed anything yet, since I am having a potential lemon case on my hands, but I have H&R Sports and Koni Yellows sitting in my garage.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

8. 07-05-2012 01:25 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
      ive done both springs and coils.... H&R SS springs (which i have for sale at the moment also with maybe 800 miles on them) and KSPORT COILS...next im planning on doing BAGS....going to go through all the suspension options lol what do u want to know????

9. 07-05-2012 01:28 AM #9
      here is a pic of where i have it set right now with the KSPORT collars r 2/3 the way spun so u think i can atleast another inch....but right here its sits right on top of the tire with little to no wheel gap

306525_10150764580229710_506459709_9000050_1773888 212_n by 210_THUMPER, on Flickr