VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

R32 or BMW M3?

23K views 91 replies 58 participants last post by  arethirdytwo 
#1 ·
Ive been thinking about buying an R32 for a while now but i just started thinking about the possibility of opening up my search to e36 M3's.

What do you guys think about the pros and cons of M3 v R32.

#48 ·
Get a 4 door M3 and slip under the radar! :D

I've got one now and unfortunately, I've let it get a bit ragged. All of the suspension bushings and shocks need to be replaced.(700 dollars) Cooling system is due for an overhaul(3-500) the front seats are getting a bit nasty(2-4000 to reapolster), and the rust needs to be fixed(3000). The steering rack is also toast(about 800). So about 5-10k to get the thing back to about 90%. Which is about all you can ask for for an old car that gets driven regularly.

I do ask myself if it's worth it, but I know once everything is sorted out, I'll fall in love with the magic again. They are magical. 10k is still cheaper than a new car is how I justify it.

#50 ·
OP didn't mention VW in first post. Therefore, the answer really is:

#52 ·
Truthfully my choice would depend on the cars I have to choose from, meaning milage, cosmetic and mechanical condition, maintenance receipts, etc. Both cars can be way fun...for my money I'd go with the VW. Why? Nicely sorted r32s are becomming a rarity just like e36 m3s, but we are talking 4-5 years difference in age and yes rwd can be fun but awd can be the bees knees too.

#54 ·
Heres the thing chief. A good majority of the opinions here are biased. Most people are going to look at specs and think DUH!! M3 all the way. But the few lucky ones to actually drive an R32 will obviously put up a fight, that on paper doesn't make sense. So do yourself a favor and test drive both. Look at the condition most importantly of each vehicle you're inquiring about and make an educated decision. The reason I bought an R32 is pretty simple. I was in the market for fun second car. Test drove numerous vehicles including the M3. I chose the R32 because it felt more nimble and engaging.(much lighter than the M) Not to mention the functional uses. I track a Mini Cooper and prefer a shorter wheel base. Some vehicles feel like you're riding a big horse. They may be fast and have tons of power but you don't feel one with the car. I live in the East Coast so handling dynamics mean everything! Tons of twisty roads and hills. I much preferred the brakes on the R32 as well as the torque band.(Not saying the M3 doesn't have torque) But the R32 makes a perfect DD. Fast enough but very fluid. The M3 is faster, but having tons of low end torque and amazing brakes made the R32 a blast. Not to mention that AWD is faster in real world circumstances. If you're on a track rwd does go that extra mile but in the real world the roads are never perfect. All of my pals with much more powerful rwd cars cant hold a corner like I can in the R32. Yes they can blow me away on the highway but back roads they really cant put the power down without risking a spin out. And out here the roads are small and if you fall off one...nothing but trees lol. As for rain and snow, you'll pray for it if you have a R32. And as for the exhaust :heart: The R32 is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned and most reliable! But if you want massive oversteer and halo headlights go for the M ;]
[Previous Owned Vehicles]
-1989 Mustang 5.0
-1993 Mazda Mx-3 KLZE swap
-1995 VW Golf
-1988 Toyota Supra
-2003 BMW Z3 M
-2002 Nissan Frontier
[Currently Owned]
-2003 Mini Cooper
-2004 VW R32
-2004 Mazda 6

#60 ·
Heres the thing chief. A good majority of the opinions here are biased. Most people are going to look at specs and think DUH!! M3 all the way. But the few lucky ones to actually drive an R32 will obviously put up a fight, that on paper doesn't make sense. So do yourself a favor and test drive both. Look at the condition most importantly of each vehicle you're inquiring about and make an educated decision. The reason I bought an R32 is pretty simple. I was in the market for fun second car. Test drove numerous vehicles including the M3. I chose the R32 because it felt more nimble and engaging.(much lighter than the M) Not to mention the functional uses. I track a Mini Cooper and prefer a shorter wheel base. Some vehicles feel like you're riding a big horse. They may be fast and have tons of power but you don't feel one with the car. I live in the East Coast so handling dynamics mean everything! Tons of twisty roads and hills. I much preferred the brakes on the R32 as well as the torque band.(Not saying the M3 doesn't have torque) But the R32 makes a perfect DD. Fast enough but very fluid. The M3 is faster, but having tons of low end torque and amazing brakes made the R32 a blast. Not to mention that AWD is faster in real world circumstances. If you're on a track rwd does go that extra mile but in the real world the roads are never perfect. All of my pals with much more powerful rwd cars cant hold a corner like I can in the R32. Yes they can blow me away on the highway but back roads they really cant put the power down without risking a spin out. And out here the roads are small and if you fall off one...nothing but trees lol. As for rain and snow, you'll pray for it if you have a R32. And as for the exhaust :heart: The R32 is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned and most reliable! But if you want massive oversteer and halo headlights go for the M ;]
I agree that anyone should test drive both cars.

Firstly the R32 is the heaviest Golf that's ever been produced and one of the heaviest hatchbacks. It's weight is actually about the same as an E36 M3 which is about 3200lbs.

Secondly I'm not sure where you came to the conclusion that AWD cars handle a corner better than RWD. Take a look at the fastest sports cars and race cars in the world. In fact one of the most annoying things about the R32 is the amount of understeer it has by having the big VR6 lump hanging in the front of the nose... too much weight, not enough chassis balance. The M3 definitely doesn't have the tendancy to have massive oversteer maybe you're driving it the wrong way.

Thirdly, the E36 M3 doesn't come with Halo lights stock ;)

#74 ·
Nothing in the world is better than a BMW...i mean come on man nothing will get you more scenester points or more ups on the car lounge than a Bimmer. Only real cars are RWD, 4wd is for trucks! Who gives a sh!t about reliability or ease of maintenance when you can impress everyone when you tell them you drive a BMW...doesn't matter that its a 15 year old POS its still a bummer dude!

#81 ·
Can't loose!

I love my '97 M3. I've had it for over 3 years with no problems at all. Only 75k km on it still. :)

Of course, every time an R32 goes by (kinda rare in Canada) I get mesmerized by the amazing exhaust note. I used to have a nicely done Mk3 VR6 and love it.

You can't really loose with either of these cars so it should really come down to the specific example you find and you personal driving preference.

:beer:

#90 ·
Have you driven either cars? That would be step one as I said earlier. I still would chose the R for a DD over the E36. If it were an E46 or an R then I would feel like that is a better comparison. The E36 is a better track car than the R but the interior is dated compared to the R.

Also the exhaust on any 6cyl. BMW kills it for me. I will NEVER track my car so I went with the R because it met my needs and was VW which I know.

#91 ·
I was actually cross shopping an E46 M3 and 2004 R32. I went with the R32 for no other reason than I just liked the way it felt when I drove it. I know the M3 is the better car but for some reason the R32 did it for me. I am going to track the car but not so much that it will be a "dedicated track car".

I wouldn't say that owning an R32 makes you someone who couldn't afford the M3 because I certainly could. I just dug the R32 more.

Drive them both and make your own call.

I will say that when I was shopping I paid the same for a clean low miles R32 with suspension upgrades and chip tune than I would for a higher miles, bone stock, clean-ish M3. The R had the exact suspension I would have picked and chip tune so I figured I let the other guy take the hit and buy it already set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.