VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

R32 or BMW M3?

23K views 91 replies 58 participants last post by  arethirdytwo 
#1 ·
Ive been thinking about buying an R32 for a while now but i just started thinking about the possibility of opening up my search to e36 M3's.

What do you guys think about the pros and cons of M3 v R32.

#9 ·
Exhaust note...you're hearing the R's exhaust note...not the engine note...and opened up right I think the s50/52 sounds better...personally...

OP:
think of how few nice R's are out there...and then consider for every 5 nice R's you find, you may find one nice e36M...if your willing to wait and search, then search some more; I would go for the M...it will be much more rewarding to drive...

#6 ·
The E36 M3 remains one of the most cost efficient cars for AutoX and track days. A well prepped E36 M3 will do wonders on the track and it will keep up with the best cars out there.

For as much as I like the MK4 R32s, I'd get a well kept and maintained E36 M3.

#46 ·
No, says a 530i driver because as much as I like the 540i's torque and power it is not worth to me the expense of maintaining a BMW 8 cylinder. And my car flat out gets better mileage. I have 110,000 reasons to say that, too. It's a nice car, the 540i, esp the 540i Manual Sport, but I don't think passing on one makes you a poseur.

The M5 is just not an option for those of us who like to drive for less than a buck a mile.

#12 ·
They are both "douchey" cars. But M3 all the way, the R32 kinda says "I cant afford an M3" :D
who the hell sees an R32 on the road and compares it to an M3?

with that said, that's kind of a tough call. very different cars but both cool in their own respects. between the two i'd go with the R since it's newer and i've never owned an AWD car. however if the comparison was an E46 then i'd take that no question.

#13 ·
honestly unless you plan to turbo the r32 then dont get it. but if you would like to turbo later or right away then i say go with the r32

#14 ·
I've driven both cars quite extensively, and a well sorted E36 is simply more fun to drive. If you are a novice looking to get into tracking a car though, I'll echo Hustle-DubS's comments that an R is easy to jump in and drive quickly. It's a nice benign car (though once you've learned how to hustle a RWD car around, the E36 is cake to drive).

#15 ·
#18 ·
Well if anything a Chevy Sonic says "I can't afford a GTI" :rolleyes:
The difference is that he wasn't the instigator saying that both M3s and R32s are douchey cars.

My E36 M3 that I had in the early 2000s was hardly douchey and that would be my vote as a serious response. That's the car I wish I could go back and keep out of everything I've owned.

My car in the showroom the day I bought it:

#19 · (Edited)
This will depend on what you will be doing. I had an MKIV R32 it was a blast and a good all around car. If you want a weekend track car then go with the M3. If you got money for mods the R32 is capable of good HP numbers on stock internals including the drivetrain (besides clutch) if going forced induction.

#20 ·
One is RWD, the other AWD (you need to decide if this is a pro or con for you)

The E36 went out of production in 1999. The VW was only available in 2004 (in the U.S.) Both are going to be used, but the VW is newer.

There were only 5000 R32s for 1 year in the U.S. The E36 M3 was available for several years (in 3.0 and later 3.2 displacement) so the total # out there should be more than the VW...this maybe significant if/when looking for parts, but the VW does share components with several other cars in VAGs lineup... (TT, GTI, A3 etc...)

The performance between the 2 is pretty similar (even if they go about it differently).

OP, if you can, go out an drive both and pick the one that best fits you. :thumbup:

#24 ·
Normally I'd smack someone for this thread, but I really think the E36 is starting to age. Replace the steering wheel for sure. I really like the torque of the I-6 and it's a great engine/trans/chassis combo. Both have great seats.

Basically- need AWD? Go R32
Want RWD? Go E36.

But are they in the same price range? I thought R32 had stupid high values, might be able to swing a E46 in there, which is a no brainer E46.

#27 ·
when i was young, european car did a "which would you buy for $50K, Boxster or M3 cab" article. i was hooked. couldn't get it out of my mind. two total amazing cars for reachable money. each so delicious.

five years later, i stumbled into a situation where it was possible to put it to the test. we had a baby on the way, i figured the 4 seat M3 made more sense, so i started there. wouldn't you know it? the wife doesn't feel comfortable with our son back there. so F this, i say, i might as well have gotten the two seater. so i did. so then i sold that, because i had been on the R32 waiting list for 11 months, and the dealer stayed true to his word and held the very first one coming into the state for me. 11 miles, fresh off the truck in my presence. :):beer:

we drove. mountainous pass, blazing switchback, rollicking hills, we drove. i didn't sign the paperwork that night, i didn't bring the cash, it had gotten late, we'd do it after work tomorrow after a more complete road test. i slept on it. stopped by on the way to work to tell him not to waste the miles on someone's new ride (i actually passed it along to a nice CT vortexer who was quoted three months).

i couldn't quite get over just how much i missed the M3. It was so f-ing good. the R32, feeling like my old mkiv gti glx truly turned up to 11 nonetheless, i knew, would just piss me off.

if you can find a pristine one, and you're man enough, and you intend to care for it properly, treat yourself to the legend. i am partial to estoril blue over dove grey.

#29 ·
Wow that is vague..Define purer driving experience?
Well the M3 is a bit more connected in everything.

To me the M3's steering is better.
It's handling is more balanced.
The car itself is more 'grown up' as it's not a hatchback.
I'd say both engines are gems... I'd even say the R32 exhaust note is one of the best. The M3's isn't bad either (I have a Corsa RSC36 exhaust on mine).
The M3 is rwd so you have that... much purer sportscar layout 50/50 weight distribution.

I hardly remember what a stock M3 drives like but it was very easy to drive. On stock staggered wheels/stock alignment/suspension it understeered a bit, but you could coax it into a slide easy. I now have much more aggressive suspension TRM coilovers 670/895 spring rates, camber plates, -2.5F/-1.5 rear alignment. BBS LM's squared 18x8 with 235 tires... it's very neutral and it's limits are much higher than my courage.

Both cars are nice, and I'd own both... I'd get sick of having AWD though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.