Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Junior Seau Dead Cops Suspect Suicide

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      05-02-2012 02:33 PM #1
      http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/02/junior-seau-dead/

Quote Originally Posted by TMZ
      NFL legend Junior Seau was found dead in his home in Oceanside, CA ... and a law enforcement source at the scene tells us cops believe he shot himself.

Seau was 43-years-old ... and leaves behind 3 kids and an ex-wife.

Cops are currently at Seau's home -- located in San Diego County -- and were seen talking with a man who was inside the house and appeared distraught.

We're told Seau sent text messages to his ex-wife and 3 kids yesterday saying, "Love you." We're told they all responded and didn't suspect anything was wrong. We're told he last saw his kids 3 weeks ago.

Sources close to Seau tell us family members didn't notice any signs of depression in recent weeks.

Seau was a beast in the NFL -- skyrocketing to fame thanks to his explosive play with the San Diego Chargers, Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots. The USC standout was selected in the first round of the NFL draft in 1990 and played in the league for 20 years.

Seau was involved in a car accident back in 2010 when he drove his SUV off a cliff in Carlsbad, CA hours after he was arrested for allegedly attacking his girlfriend. Seau later said he was not trying to kill himself ... insisting he had fallen asleep at the wheel.
      Damn... loved watching him play.
      They're steppin' on my rhythm and they're stealin' all my lines

Every day on the bike is a day not in the Fusion.

Vehicles
      06 GTI UM Tuned
      05-02-2012 02:47 PM #2
      RIP hope he is now at peace

3. 05-02-2012 03:35 PM #3
      Somebody must have put a curse on that '94 Super Bowl team.
      RIP Seau.

4. Banned
      Vehicles
      no dubs :(
      05-02-2012 04:28 PM #4

I'm so saddened by this, as a Steelers fan i hated playing against Seau, but i LOVED his passion for the game. I was bummed when San Diego let him go.

I know what its like to be in that place --- i've never had the courage, but I hope he has peace.

Last edited by Righteous Bucks; 05-02-2012 at 04:32 PM.

5. 05-02-2012 04:58 PM #5
      Looks like he joined the stupid club.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      05-02-2012 04:59 PM #6
      Just saw this news.

RIP I always enjoyed watching him play.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

7. Member
      05-02-2012 06:46 PM #7
      No!!!

This is awful. I loved watching him play, and he always seemed so happy.
      Was he known for having a lot of personal demons?
      Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      05-02-2012 10:52 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Big M View Post
      No!!!

This is awful. I loved watching him play, and he always seemed so happy.
      Was he known for having a lot of personal demons?

He did drive a vehicle off a cliff didn't he? Crazy day in news related to deaths. Out here in AZ some crazy neo-nazi killed 4 people, a child included, then himself.
      Th(e/a)n

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 10:54 PM #9
      I forgot about that vehicle off the cliff incident. They said at the time it wasn't a suicide attempt, but it was a really odd story. Sort of makes you wonder now.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 11:30 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by SAPJetta View Post
      I forgot about that vehicle off the cliff incident. They said at the time it wasn't a suicide attempt, but it was a really odd story. Sort of makes you wonder now.
      First thing that came to mind when I was told about this was that he drove himself off a cliff not all that long ago.

11. Banned
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 11:36 PM #11
      looks like 2 trolls made it through, amazing what Vortex mods allow, and disallow.

but anyway.

the cliff incident was way too fishy, didn't make sense and at the time i def thought it was a suicide attempt based on it nothing pointed to otherwise, weather etc.

he was great. he's in that favre category you might have hated him, but he was a competitor and played with class and was a real leader.

we needed more Seaus in the world.

12. Banned
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 01:58 AM #12

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 02:31 PM #13
      New article trying to link this to brain injuries like concussions.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...y-related?lite

Quote Originally Posted by msnbc.com
      Former NFL star Junior Seau’s death on Wednesday is fueling debate over whether football’s big hits leave some players with lingering brain damage that can lead to depression and possibly even suicide.

The police have yet to determine whether the 43-year-old linebacker did, in fact, commit suicide. But because his death follows so closely on the heels of two high-profile suicides in former NFL defensive backs, many are wondering if the concussions Seau sustained during his 20 years as a hard-hitting star, known mostly for his stint with the San Diego Chargers, including the 1994 Super Bowl team, were implicated in his death.

In February 2011, former Chicago Bear Dave Duerson committed suicide at age 50, choosing to shoot himself in the chest so that scientists could look for signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a brain disease linked to head blows that can culminate in dementia and other symptoms. And just last month, former Atlanta Falcon Ray Easterling, who had sued the NFL for mismanaging players’ concussions, shot and killed himself at age 62.

Experts interviewed by msnbc.com were mixed in their opinions on whether Seau’s concussions could have led to his apparent suicide. All agreed that there should be more research on the impact of head injuries on the risk for depression and suicide.

“I think the evidence is very strong in both human and animal studies that repeated concussions that occur very close in time can result in depression and other emotional disorders that can lead to suicide,” said David Hovda, a professor of neurosurgery and director of the University of California, Los Angeles, Brain Injury Research Center. “Whether they are the sole reason for the suicide, I don’t think can be determined.”

Hovda believes it’s possible that Seau shot himself in the chest so that he, like Duerson, might leave his brain for scientists to study.

Dr. Douglas Smith was more cautious.

“There’s beginning to be an assumption that repeated exposure to head injuries can make you suicidal,” said Smith, a professor of neurosurgery and director of the Center for Brain Injury and Repair at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. “It’s certainly suspicious and something that we should absolutely look into.”

But Smith cautioned that people shouldn’t assume that concussions will always lead to permanent brain damage. “There are many highly functioning individuals who have had a series of concussions -- captains of industry, politicians -- who are doing very well,” he said.

The issue is a lot more murky for Pittsburgh Steelers' team neurosurgeon, Dr. Joseph Maroon, who was quick to point out the high incidence of depression among Americans who haven’t ever had an injury to their brains.

“Depression is one of the most common diseases that affect people in the United States,” said Maroon, a professor of neurosurgery and the Heindl Scholar in Neuroscience at the University of Pittsburgh. “Some 10 to 15 percent of American who have not played football will have pathologic depression at some time in their lives. The most commonly prescribed drugs in the United States are antidepressants.

“Given that, we also know that there may be a relationship in some individuals between multiple blows to the head, or even a single blow to the head, that can result in abnormal and pathological behavior. In an individual case, in this one for instance, from what I’ve read so far, I don’ t think there’s any way you can definitively say that this was directly related to football.”

Nevertheless, Maroon said, people are taking concussion damage far more seriously these days. “There’s been a major cultural shift in the recognition and appreciation of post-concussive effects,” he said.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 04:17 PM #14
      Unless something surfaces about financial issues, family issues or the like, the questions regarding concussions, depression and their role in suicides such as these will linger.

I think people are much more aware of possible long lasting effects of head injuries these days, but when it comes to the NFL, part of me thinks they should address it and part of me thinks these guys know that they are putting themselves in harms way. If they choose to do so, that is their choice. Nobody is forcing them to go out there every Sunday and crush each other for our amusement. I'm all for trying to improve safety without turning the game into flag football though.

15. 05-03-2012 06:02 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by SAPJetta View Post
      Unless something surfaces about financial issues, family issues or the like, the questions regarding concussions, depression and their role in suicides such as these will linger.

I think people are much more aware of possible long lasting effects of head injuries these days, but when it comes to the NFL, part of me thinks they should address it and part of me thinks these guys know that they are putting themselves in harms way. If they choose to do so, that is their choice. Nobody is forcing them to go out there every Sunday and crush each other for our amusement. I'm all for trying to improve safety without turning the game into flag football though.
      There will always be concussions unless we want to make it flag football.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 11:21 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      "I think the evidence is very strong in both human and animal studies that repeated concussions that occur very close in time can result in depression and other emotional disorders that can lead to suicide"

Depending on what 'repeated' and 'very close in time' mean the NFL could do more in keeping players out of games.

17. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      05-04-2012 01:04 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      And there is a very simple solution to not getting them...and that is, as I am sure we all know, don't play the game. Nobody forces players to play the game, they choose to. Now I am not saying the game shouldn't be made as safe as possible, but there are occupational hazards. It drives me crazy that the NFL's response to all of these claims/lawsuits isn't "We are constantly making changes to the game and altering concussion protocol to make it as safe as possible, if it is still too great of a concern for you stay in school, earn a degree and start a career...thank you and have a nice day".

I am not trying to depreciate the loss of human life, I just don't understand all of the finger pointing at the NFL.
      Th(e/a)n

18. Member
      05-04-2012 08:23 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by BlckBadged_SwissChee View Post
      I am not trying to depreciate the loss of human life, I just don't understand all of the finger pointing at the NFL.
      $$$

The NFL is going above and beyond to make sure that, on their day in court, they can show a long list of impressive actions they took to keep the game as safe as possible. Huge suspensions for bounty-gate, implementing concussion protocols, adding rules protecting the head, etc.

All these actions that people say are making the game "soft" are going to keep the league untouchable in court.
      Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 10:29 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Big M View Post
      $$$

The NFL is going above and beyond to make sure that, on their day in court, they can show a long list of impressive actions they took to keep the game as safe as possible. Huge suspensions for bounty-gate, implementing concussion protocols, adding rules protecting the head, etc.

All these actions that people say are making the game "soft" are going to keep the league untouchable in court.
      Agreed. Ultimately, it is still up to the players to play within the limits set by the league. If these guys still go out and throw themselves at other players heads, that is their decision. The league can only do so much. Football is an inherently dangerous game and that is the attraction of it. I don't want to see anyone get seriously hurt, but crazy things happen when you play at the level and intensity that they do.

If anything, it seems that the league should offer some sort of retirement therapy to players exiting the game. Beyond the potential problems associated with head trauma, there is often depression as a result of stepping away from something many have been doing since they were kids. Obviously, there are plenty of ex-players who are perfectly functioning members of society, but for those that need some help, they should be able to get it.

20. Member Snitches Get Stitches's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Hybrid VR6T Jetta, 1997 Lifted Subie Outback
      05-04-2012 10:43 AM #20
      Come on guys....you must know this isn't a real issue or there would be a Congressional Oversight Committee somewhere exploring these dangers. Now, steroids in baseball on the other hand, that is the real big problem obviously!! If congress doesn't say its dangerous, then its obvious these guys are just faking it...

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 10:55 AM #21
      You joke, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if some congressional nitwit who has never touched a football in his life gets it in his head to start trying to police the NFL. Take a legit problem and turn it into a media circus.

22. 05-05-2012 02:13 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      "I think the evidence is very strong in both human and animal studies that repeated concussions that occur very close in time can result in depression and other emotional disorders that can lead to suicide"

Depending on what 'repeated' and 'very close in time' mean the NFL could do more in keeping players out of games.
      Sure they could. I wonder when they will start forcing retirements?

23. 05-05-2012 02:14 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by BlckBadged_SwissChee View Post
      And there is a very simple solution to not getting them...and that is, as I am sure we all know, don't play the game. Nobody forces players to play the game, they choose to. Now I am not saying the game shouldn't be made as safe as possible, but there are occupational hazards. It drives me crazy that the NFL's response to all of these claims/lawsuits isn't "We are constantly making changes to the game and altering concussion protocol to make it as safe as possible, if it is still too great of a concern for you stay in school, earn a degree and start a career...thank you and have a nice day".

I agree. Very few will be turning down the money even though the risks are well known today.