Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Engine cradle bushing failure?

Vehicles
      97 Jetta TDI, 89 Fox diesel, 92 300SD turbo, 82 GS1100E
      05-02-2012 05:44 PM #1
      I'm thinking that the right front bushing is shot....anyone else think that?

Here's a pic

Vehicles
      90 Audi S8coupe, 90 Fox Wagon, wife's 2008 CW R32, kid's 89 2l 16V gli, 2010 Jetta TDI
      05-02-2012 08:26 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by QuantumSyncro View Post
      I'm thinking that the right front bushing is shot....anyone else think that?

Here's a pic

Yes, it is shot, but that is called a subframe bushing, even though the engine is supported by the subframe. I call the engine mounts the engine cradle mounts.

Greg W.
      They have my car when they pry my dead cold fingers from the steering wheel.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 08:37 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe View Post
      Yes, it is shot, but that is called a subframe bushing, even though the engine is supported by the subframe. I call the engine mounts the engine cradle mounts.

Greg W.
      Yeah, I tend to use the terms interchangeably, cradle / subframe / k-frame. I would however, not agree that a motor / engine mount is a cradle mount...but that's personal preference.

I hadn't really looked at it until today but there's some excess vibration that we discussed via pm yesterday. I think now that the subframe bushings prolly need to be renewed along with the motor mounts.

thx

steve

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      92 VW Fox GL, 2000 Ford Ranger
      05-02-2012 11:55 PM #4
      So vibration is ur problem? Could these bushings being shot cause a clunking when u hit bumps? Cuz I'm getting this noise and I wonder if this is it.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 12:19 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by dragon17 View Post
      So vibration is ur problem? Could these bushings being shot cause a clunking when u hit bumps? Cuz I'm getting this noise and I wonder if this is it.
      The vibration I have is engine related, partly because it's been converted to diesel, which vibrates more. I'm going to end up replacing all of the subframe bushings and motor mounts in hopes of getting rid of it. Older diesel engines, especially the IDI diesels tend to vibrate quite a bit.

If you get a clunk when you hit a bump it's more likely to be related to suspension problems, like worn ball joints or a bad strut mount and bearing...at least that's what I would think.

The warning sign of a bad strut mount is when you turn the wheels and the front end makes a clunk because the bearing (or what's left of it) shifts position.