Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Three new (to me) TPMS fault codes

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V8 (among others)
      05-02-2012 07:13 PM #1
      Well, after 6 1/2 years of bliss (=no fault codes) it's now my turn dealing with TPMS fault codes. For a while now I have had the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Fault message and lit icon on the instruments panel, but I have been too busy to do anything about it. I have now decided to address it and got the following fault codes from VCDS:

"Address 65: Tire Pressure Labels: 3D0-907-273-D.lbl
      Part No: 3D0 907 273 D
      Component: Reifendruckueberw. 0025
      Coding: 0411204
      Shop #: WSC 01065 000 00000
      VCID: 27566ADF95F60B6

3 Faults Found:
      01469 - Rear Left Tire Pressure Sensor (G224)
      004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent - MIL ON
      01507 - Initialization Not Successful
      000 - - - Intermittent - MIL ON
      01521 - Sensor for Tire Pressure
      004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent - MIL ON"

The "vehicle" monitor indicates values temporarily cannot be displayed, with four "X" for the front and rear axles, and no icon at all for the spare.

The VCDS blocks for this controller report no values and zero months life remaining for the left rear wheel, but correct temperatures and pressures for all the other wheels (including spare), and life remaining between 7 months and 1 month for each remaining sensor. This is not surprising since all sensors are the original ones: I have just ordered a set of five from the Tirerack.

Now for my question: is it normal to get the three fault codes and general error message reported above when only one sensor has ceased transmitting? (I would have expected only one "X"). I did read all the TPMS threads referenced in the TOC, but could not find a specific reference to these codes, but maybe I missed it. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
      Stefano
      P.S.: Michael and other moderators, I was not sure whether to append this note to one of the existing TPMS threads: in the end I started a new one, but feel free to append if appropriate.

2. 05-02-2012 10:21 PM #2
      It's been too long now since I had failing sensors to remember the details, but generally, when my sensors were going I tended to get a failure of the whole system. With fresh sensor batteries I tend to get errors on one corner only. If they've been in since 2005, you've done pretty well on them.

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      05-05-2012 02:34 PM #3
      Mine gave a message on the Combi screen 'TPMS Fault' and put up the fault icon this afternoon. I just scanned it, but it hasn't registered a fault in VCDS, which is interesting as the previous controller always did. Maybe 'TPMS Fault' actually means 'more than one tyre is low' in this old version software.

When I checked the tyre pressures using a gauge, the rear ones were both low at 40.3 psi, the fronts were OK-ish at 43.7 psi. So I'll go pump them up and see if this clears the 'fault'.

It happened as the air temperature fell through 8.5 degC. Well, it is glorious May...

Chris

Vehicles
      08-09-2012 12:50 PM #4
      Just for the record, I did pump up the tyres last May at the start of a cold spell (8 degC) and the TPMS fault cleared without me doing anything else.

The same thing happened this August at the start of the warmer weather (25 degC), when the controller put up a "TPMS Fault" message and 5 warning triangles on the TPMS screen. Both disappeared immediately I pumped up the tyres to the pressures recommended on the TPMS 'Warm Tyres' screen. They were only a couple of psi lower.

In my case the 'Warm Tyres' screen asked for 3.3 bar (48 psi) in the front and 3.1 bar (45 psi) in the rear after a 10 mile drive at 25 degC air temperature.

The 'Cold Tyres' screen wanted 3.1 bar(45 psi) in the front and 2.9 bar (42 psi) rear.

I believe this 'Warm Tyres' pressure recommendation screen is not present in NAR cars.

On neither occasion did the TPMS tell me the tyre pressures needed seasonal adjustment, it just said 'TPMS Fault'.

Chris

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V8 (among others)
      08-09-2012 01:43 PM #5
      Chris,
      What you described is exactly the way my TPMS used to work until this last time: twice a year, at the change of the season, I had to pump up the tires a bit and the errors would disapear, without requiring an adaptation. This last time, however, was different: after replacing all five sensors with new ones (which took care of the three that had exhausted batteries and the two that were approaching empty) the "system fault" error was till on, with all five tirangles. My Phaeton tech ordered a new TPMS controller and the problem went away: it's been performing flawlessly ever since (two months now). By the way, you are correct that we do not have the "warm/cold tires" distinction in NAR.
      Stefano

Vehicles
      08-09-2012 06:46 PM #6
      Looks like the old 3D0 907 273 B TPMS controller I fitted has a poor way of communicating what it finds.

The one that came with my car originally was suffix D, but that seemed to be intermittent, although I now wonder with hindsight if I just needed to pump more pressure. Maybe I'll put it back in and have a play again.

The newest 433mHz one available is suffix G so I presume they have by now improved the warning algorithms.

However, it lists at £440 which is a fair sum to lay out, especially if you add in some dealer diagnostics time.

Chris