Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My poor Passat vs. an Eclipse at 50mph+

1. 05-04-2012 11:07 PM #26
      I'm in the insurance industry 50 years. Today a total loss is if the cost to repair exceeds 70% to 80% of vehicles actual market value. Yes , that high. A $20,000 vehicle could sustain up to $14,000 in damages and still not be deemed a total.

Just real life food for thought numbers.

Tully

Vehicles
      TSI x3
      05-05-2012 01:11 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Tully Lee View Post
      I'm in the insurance industry 50 years. Today a total loss is if the cost to repair exceeds 70% to 80% of vehicles actual market value. Yes , that high. A $20,000 vehicle could sustain up to $14,000 in damages and still not be deemed a total.

Just real life food for thought numbers.

Tully
      X2.

My 1 year old jetta purchased new @18k wasn't totaled after 12k+ worth of damage.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat
      05-05-2012 02:14 PM #28
      Maybe after this one gets repaired I'll just trade it in and get another new one. My wife will kill me but who wants damaged goods anyway

Vehicles
      2014 GLI Autobahn DSG
      05-05-2012 04:27 PM #29
      That estimate seem s a little low.. I'd let them tear it apart first and see whats really going on underneath. I'd say battle number 1 is that everything is replaced with 100% genuine OEM VW parts.
      Take it to the best body shop in town who will fight for this and do the best possible work. If the frame is bent the cost will go up a good amount to fix it.

Before you worry about trading it in on a new one.. have it fixed by the best people with the best parts and see how she drives. Don't take any crap from insurance about cost cutting repairs. you were rear ended.
      2014 GLI
      2012 Passat
      2009 GLI
      2005 WRX
      2002 Sentra SER Spec V

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat
      05-05-2012 04:37 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by atcssg View Post
      Maybe after this one gets repaired I'll just trade it in and get another new one. My wife will kill me but who wants damaged goods anyway
      ^^^ exactly.

Vehicles
      2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT, 2014 Mazda 3i GT
      05-05-2012 05:08 PM #31
      Definitely take it to a body shop that's VW or Audi certified. They're difficult to find, but VW won't give you any crap about a repair voiding your warranty if you go to a shop that's VW approved.

Good luck,

- Jeremy.
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat, 2.0T, 6-speed manual
      05-05-2012 11:06 PM #32
      Went to a local body shop just to get an idea of what the cost of repair would be. Initial estimate is about $6,200 and 15 working days. Once the actual adjuster comes out I can take it up to the dealer and see what it's actually going to cost and start the "total loss" war. I hate this BS
      The two words you want to remember are "diminished value". Your Passat may be able to be repaired to perfection, but it will still be worth substantially less than an equivalent Passat that has never been wrecked.

You will want to file a diminished value claim against the insurance of the person that hit you. You will probably have to fight for this.

I am sorry for your loss.

Alpinweiß
      2008 Passat, 2.0T, 6-speed manual, Euro lights

8. 05-05-2012 11:46 PM #33
      It does suck getting hit like that, but try not to get ahead of yourself here. And try not to pay too much attention to the arm chair quarterbacks here. I'd be hugely surprised if your car is totaled; I'd suggest getting that thought out of your head. Collision repair is much more technical than in used to be. Do some research and talk to your dealer about who they use; it's mostly, if not all, farmed out. Most don't do anything but very light body work. Your car can most likely be fixed so it's as good as new (or at least seem that way). And it's highly unlikely you'd ever get rid of that car and into a new one without taking a bath; there's a reason why we all hate insurance companies (their "feel good" advertising campaigns notwithstanding). Ask your insurance company about diminished value, but it's often an optional coverage. It depends on the company and the state. I'd forget about getting any satisfaction on that front from the girl who hit you, though that too may depend on the company and the state you're in. Find the best body shop you can and try to accept the fact that though it's unfortunate, **** does happen. Fix it and enjoy it.
      "If stupid got us into this mess, how come it can't get us out?"

Vehicles
      2014 GLI Autobahn DSG
      05-06-2012 02:00 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by But Officer.... View Post
      And try not to pay too much attention to the arm chair quarterbacks here. Ask your insurance company about diminished value, but it's often an optional coverage. It depends on the company and the state. I'd forget about getting any satisfaction on that front from the girl who hit you, though that too may depend on the company and the state you're in.
      I think that's pretty funny as there is some pretty sound advice by some in this thread and not necessarily from your post..

Please note he doesn't need to ask his insurance company about diminished value from them and even if it was optional coverage on his end it's irrelevant because HE was NOT at fault.

He should ask his company to go after the other company or file suit. When someone causes an accident almost anything reasonable is on the table. You have to be aggressive... And I'm not saying unlawful or ridiculous either..

And the body shops most common dealerships use are mediocre at best. They do quick cut rate work for dealers on lot cars primarily unless you are asking an exotic dealer.
      2014 GLI
      2012 Passat
      2009 GLI
      2005 WRX
      2002 Sentra SER Spec V

10. 05-06-2012 12:47 PM #35
      I have yet to EVER see one person walk away from a claim "Even Steve"...

Even if there was no damage and you choose to trade in this early in ownership you would take a bath $ wise.

Get it repaired and go from there. You may be 100% happy with repair.

Best of luck on this claim.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      05-06-2012 01:43 PM #36
      I'd recommend checking regional forums for shop recommendations. Al's search for names of shops you're considering.
      Check Audi and Porsche forums as well. I found a great shop near me via an Audi forum.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat
      05-09-2012 03:15 PM #37
      I dropped the car off at the vw/audi dealer's bodyshop this morning, they're thinking more along the lines of 8-9k for the repairs. For now I'm stuck with a nissan versa as a rental for the next three weeks at least. I'll keep the post updated as I get new info in.

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW JETTA TDI PKG 1, 2012 VW PASSAT TDI SEL
      01-11-2014 11:47 PM #38
      Can you refresh the pictures again? I wanted to compare to your car, but the links for pictures are broken.

Thanks!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat
      01-12-2014 12:18 AM #39
      give me a day or two, i need to dig up those pictures.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2007 Touareg VR6
      01-12-2014 01:14 AM #40
      cannot see pics from facebook! We're like vampires attracted to the gore of a wrecked car (our cars) to see how it fared. Not well I surmise. Please repost the pics!!!
      2012 SEL TDI DSG - Platinum Gray with Moonrock
      2007 Touareg V6 - Offroad Gray w/ Anthracite

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12