Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 141

    Thread: Golf R Coilover Options

    1. Geriatric Member
      Join Date
      Aug 31st, 2004
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      40,806
      Vehicles
      15 S3 / 13 Golf R / 04 R32
      05-09-2012 08:39 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      i would love to hear why you all think bags are so bad
      because they don't know anything about them.
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 (SOLD) - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R - '15 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '15 Tiguan R-Line (SOLD) - '15 S3

    2. Member Dutchmastr9's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2004
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      17,571
      Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      05-09-2012 09:05 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      because they don't know anything about them.
      well that much is obvious
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

      Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

    3. Junior Member EsqR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2012
      Location
      Redneck Riviera
      Posts
      90
      05-09-2012 09:07 AM #28
      If you like bags great, if not, great. this thread isn't bags v. coilovers. It would be nice if people just posted up their suspension setups, pics, and their opinions about their setup and left the bag bickering to the rest of the forum like usual. Just my .02 which isn't worth a damn. Fanbois get over it we all know you love/hate bags, you've said it over and over and over and over, ad nauseum. That said:

      Does anyone have the H2sport setup? Is it even out yet? Also, is anyone running the Bilstein PSS10s?

    4. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 16th, 2010
      Location
      Indianapolis
      Posts
      43
      Vehicles
      MkIV R32 DBP, Golf R 2 door CW
      05-09-2012 09:10 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      i would love to hear why you all think bags are so bad
      It's possible that whatever negative reaction you are getting to bags in this thread is because this thread was intended to be a coilover discussion as it clearly states in OP's post. I personally have no experience with bags, although I think they are pretty cool. The only negative I can see with bags is the extra weight associated with all of the equipment needed to operate them. At least I presume there is a bit of extra weight???

      Anyways, I haven't put coils on the R yet, but I will either be using VWRs or KWs. I have KW V1s on my R32 and I think they are just about perfect for me. I do not tinker much with settings, so the V1s are great. Also, the price is a lot easier on the ol' wallet for V1s. I am considering VWRs, so this thread is of interest to me.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Burlington, NC
      Posts
      4,742
      Vehicles
      '16 S5 / '12 Atom / '14 CC R-Line
      05-09-2012 09:12 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      because they don't know anything about them.
      When they start putting bags on a Lotus, McLaren or Ferrari I'll get behind them.
      ---
      2016 Audi S5 | Daytona Gray | 6MT | Black Optics Plus | Sport Differential | Technology Package | Black Alcantara | Carbon Atlas
      MK6 Golf R (Sold) | CC R-Line

    6. Member
      Join Date
      May 30th, 2010
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      1,630
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      05-09-2012 10:01 AM #31
      My JSW was my first car on coilovers (well, not counting off-road vehicles) and I went with Koni because of their reputation. The problem is that the springs were way too soft for the weight of the vehicle so I wound up having to turn the damping up to reduce relative wheel motion, especially with the lowered ride height. Exaggerating the effect was that the included springs were progressive rate coils so the car just bottomed out the tender windings and runs on a reduced spring motion. It's tolerable when I'm alone in the car, but with 3 passengers, plus cargo, and/or a trailer, it's worthless. I'll be converting over to bags on it, since you can compensate for loading by adding air to the bag.

      That said, I knew a lot more about what to look for when setting up the suspension on my R. First off, I wanted a firm, but not overly so, linear rate spring. I wanted a durable coilover, and I wanted to be able to adjust compression and rebound separately, and preferably without having to unbolt the shock from the car to do it. Also, being able to adjust camber was pretty high on my list, not to go really low and flush, but because I want to corner balance the car, level the control arms, and fit wide rubber. I wound up going with a set of Eibach Multi-Pro R2 coilovers and Ground Control camber plates.




      I called Ground Control up and told them what I would be running and they built the plates to fit directly on the 2.5" coils so I don't have to use the Eibach adapters for fitting the coils into the stock cups. I won't even need a spring compressor to do the install. I'll provide more information once the coilovers arrive.

    7. Member Squirrel Nuts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2010
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      19,298
      Vehicles
      2015 Autobahn GTI l Bagged 2010 GTI (Totaled) l 2007 GLI (Sold)
      05-09-2012 10:41 AM #32

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2011
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      2,106
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R; 2012 Tiguan SEL
      05-09-2012 11:19 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by ToeBall View Post
      My JSW was my first car on coilovers (well, not counting off-road vehicles) and I went with Koni because of their reputation. The problem is that the springs were way too soft for the weight of the vehicle so I wound up having to turn the damping up to reduce relative wheel motion, especially with the lowered ride height. Exaggerating the effect was that the included springs were progressive rate coils so the car just bottomed out the tender windings and runs on a reduced spring motion. It's tolerable when I'm alone in the car, but with 3 passengers, plus cargo, and/or a trailer, it's worthless. I'll be converting over to bags on it, since you can compensate for loading by adding air to the bag.

      That said, I knew a lot more about what to look for when setting up the suspension on my R. First off, I wanted a firm, but not overly so, linear rate spring. I wanted a durable coilover, and I wanted to be able to adjust compression and rebound separately, and preferably without having to unbolt the shock from the car to do it. Also, being able to adjust camber was pretty high on my list, not to go really low and flush, but because I want to corner balance the car, level the control arms, and fit wide rubber. I wound up going with a set of Eibach Multi-Pro R2 coilovers and Ground Control camber plates.




      I called Ground Control up and told them what I would be running and they built the plates to fit directly on the 2.5" coils so I don't have to use the Eibach adapters for fitting the coils into the stock cups. I won't even need a spring compressor to do the install. I'll provide more information once the coilovers arrive.
      Lots of awesome points in this post. Great setup.
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R (Build Thread)
      2012 Night Blue Tiguan SEL w/ Premium Nav

    9. Geriatric Member
      Join Date
      Aug 31st, 2004
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      40,806
      Vehicles
      15 S3 / 13 Golf R / 04 R32
      05-09-2012 11:58 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
      When they start putting bags on a Lotus, McLaren or Ferrari I'll get behind them.
      having a reliable 400whp GTI on air suspension was enough for me to never want coilovers again.
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 (SOLD) - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R - '15 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '15 Tiguan R-Line (SOLD) - '15 S3

    10. Member .:RTime's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 1st, 2010
      Location
      Center Valley, PA
      Posts
      941
      Vehicles
      Dumped Out Golf R, 2004 BMP R32
      05-09-2012 12:07 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      having a reliable 400whp GTI on air suspension was enough for me to never want coilovers again.

    11. Member brandonekingatl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      1,223
      Vehicles
      2012 BMP Golf R 4 dr, 2010 CSG 2 dr GTI (sold), 2004.5 BMP GLI pimped (sold), 2000 TR GTI vr6 (sold)
      05-09-2012 12:39 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      having a reliable 400whp GTI on air suspension was enough for me to never want coilovers again.
      Dude, we get it, you have a hard on for bags. Can we please just stick to the point of the thread

      Do we have any body else running VWR streetsport regular or plus on here? Really want to get some more input before pulling the trigger. I know some other locals are going to be running B&G coils, anybody else have thoughts/experience with these?

    12. Geriatric Member
      Join Date
      Aug 31st, 2004
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      40,806
      Vehicles
      15 S3 / 13 Golf R / 04 R32
      05-09-2012 12:45 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by brandonekingatl View Post
      Dude, we get it, you have a hard on for bags. Can we please just stick to the point of the thread

      Do we have any body else running VWR streetsport regular or plus on here? Really want to get some more input before pulling the trigger. I know some other locals are going to be running B&G coils, anybody else have thoughts/experience with these?
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 (SOLD) - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R - '15 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '15 Tiguan R-Line (SOLD) - '15 S3

    13. Member JLCVDUB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      Austin, Texas
      Posts
      1,635
      Vehicles
      2013 PGM Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium
      05-09-2012 01:11 PM #38
      There seems to be a lot of misinformation about bags and it seems to me like all of you are stereotyping guys on air- it's like you're envisioning "Low Rider" magazines on hydraulics, not air. Two different worlds. There isn't anything wrong with air and if you're not tracking your car, I don't see why it is such a big deal and even if you do track sometimes, I still don't see the problem. Do your research on them, and you'll find the results. I personally wouldn't run bags on a dedicated track car, but my car will never see the track. I may do a few passes just because I'm curious, but that's about it. It's low parked, raised up when driving. There guys aren't out here scraping or ghost riding their whips. I'll probably go air when I run out of **** to do to my car.
      2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Platinum Grey Metallic- Current
      2012 Golf R Candy White Sunroof/Nav- Sold 2012 Golf R Candy WhiteSunroof/Nav-Sold Twice
      2006 Jetta GLI PKG#2 DSG- Sold
      2005 GTI 1.8T Reflex Silver- Sold
      2005 Golf GLS Indigo Blue- Sold

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2012
      Location
      richmond bc
      Posts
      404
      Vehicles
      RB golf R
      05-09-2012 01:14 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by JLCVDUB View Post
      There seems to be a lot of misinformation about bags and it seems to me like all of you are stereotyping guys on air- it's like you're envisioning "Low Rider" magazines on hydraulics, not air. Two different worlds. There isn't anything wrong with air and if you're not tracking your car, I don't see why it is such a big deal and even if you do track sometimes, I still don't see the problem. Do your research on them, and you'll find the results. I personally wouldn't run bags on a dedicated track car, but my car will never see the track. I may do a few passes just because I'm curious, but that's about it. It's low parked, raised up when driving. There guys aren't out here scraping or ghost riding their whips. I'll probably go air when I run out of **** to do to my car.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      May 18th, 2003
      Location
      Buffalo, NY
      Posts
      4,138
      05-09-2012 01:27 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by JLCVDUB View Post
      There seems to be a lot of misinformation about bags and it seems to me like all of you are stereotyping guys on air- it's like you're envisioning "Low Rider" magazines on hydraulics, not air. Two different worlds. There isn't anything wrong with air and if you're not tracking your car, I don't see why it is such a big deal and even if you do track sometimes, I still don't see the problem. Do your research on them, and you'll find the results. I personally wouldn't run bags on a dedicated track car, but my car will never see the track. I may do a few passes just because I'm curious, but that's about it. It's low parked, raised up when driving. There guys aren't out here scraping or ghost riding their whips. I'll probably go air when I run out of **** to do to my car.
      Well said, but some people are just annoyed that this is a coilover thread and people with bags came into it and pretty much derailed it.

    16. Member Dutchmastr9's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2004
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      17,571
      Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      05-09-2012 02:02 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      Well said, but some people are just annoyed that this is a coilover thread and people with bags came into it and pretty much derailed it.
      except it was really the anti-bag people who derailed it by starting an arguement with zero facts. sure i posted my bagged car in this "coilover" thread as sort of a joke but i followed the OPs criteria and didnt say anything except that i like my bags. and when you think about it, bags are very similar to coils, they both have height and can both have dampening adjustability, the main difference being one uses a metal spring and the other uses an airbag. The anti-bag people came in and started arguing, did they even post any info about coils? i dont think so. so essentially my post was more informative and on topic than their posts, except i'm able to laugh at their ignorance and not get my panties in a bunch because someone wants to mod their car in a different manner than me
      Last edited by Dutchmastr9; 05-09-2012 at 02:04 PM.
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

      Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

    17. Member Jouko Haapanen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Georgetown, ON
      Posts
      4,407
      05-09-2012 02:02 PM #42
      I have the H2Sport kit utilizing the Ohlins dampers on my R, along with the H2Sport Spindles and H2Sport Camber Kit. I have nothing but good things to say about the setup...although I may be a little biased.

      Quote Originally Posted by EsqR View Post
      IDoes anyone have the H2sport setup? Is it even out yet? Also, is anyone running the Bilstein PSS10s?
      Here are a few pictures of my car and the goodies: http://www.flickr.com/photos/h2sport...7629592674904/

    18. Geriatric Member
      Join Date
      Aug 31st, 2004
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      40,806
      Vehicles
      15 S3 / 13 Golf R / 04 R32
      05-09-2012 02:14 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      except it was really the anti-bag people who derailed it by starting an arguement with zero facts. sure i posted my bagged car in this "coilover" thread as sort of a joke but i followed the OPs criteria and didnt say anything except that i like my bags. and when you think about it, bags are very similar to coils, they both have height and can both have dampening adjustability, the main difference being one uses a metal spring and the other uses an airbag. The anti-bag people came in and started arguing, did they even post any info about coils? i dont think so. so essentially my post was more informative and on topic than their posts, except i'm able to laugh at their ignorance and not get my panties in a bunch because someone wants to mod their car in a different manner than me
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 (SOLD) - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R - '15 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '15 Tiguan R-Line (SOLD) - '15 S3

    19. Member JLCVDUB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2007
      Location
      Austin, Texas
      Posts
      1,635
      Vehicles
      2013 PGM Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium
      05-09-2012 04:03 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by sup_lado View Post




      Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      Well said, but some people are just annoyed that this is a coilover thread and people with bags came into it and pretty much derailed it.
      Yeah, I understand, but it would be nice if people would have a more open mind about things and not judge a book by its cover. Completely understand the coilover only part, but I think that it'd be nice to put some good literature on both sides so that people are well informed on their options.

      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post

      2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Platinum Grey Metallic- Current
      2012 Golf R Candy White Sunroof/Nav- Sold 2012 Golf R Candy WhiteSunroof/Nav-Sold Twice
      2006 Jetta GLI PKG#2 DSG- Sold
      2005 GTI 1.8T Reflex Silver- Sold
      2005 Golf GLS Indigo Blue- Sold

    20. Member
      Join Date
      May 18th, 2003
      Location
      Buffalo, NY
      Posts
      4,138
      05-09-2012 04:25 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Jouko Haapanen View Post
      I have the H2Sport kit utilizing the Ohlins dampers on my R, along with the H2Sport Spindles and H2Sport Camber Kit. I have nothing but good things to say about the setup...although I may be a little biased.



      Here are a few pictures of my car and the goodies: http://www.flickr.com/photos/h2sport...7629592674904/
      So jealous. Wish I had a reason to get that same setup, especially since I only live about 45 minutes from H2Sport.

    21. Member brandonekingatl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      1,223
      Vehicles
      2012 BMP Golf R 4 dr, 2010 CSG 2 dr GTI (sold), 2004.5 BMP GLI pimped (sold), 2000 TR GTI vr6 (sold)
      05-09-2012 05:05 PM #46
      Guys....really??

      Dutch, I love your car, the bags are awesome and some of the pics you have taken are the best looking ones of any R worldwide...period.
      Johnny, not knocking you, I'm sure your 400hp with bags was/is the SHjT and when you R shows up, if hasn't already, will be the envy of many on here, myself included (especially those seats).
      I respect the H*** out of what you guys have done to your cars and truly appreciate your contributions across the threads in the R forums but...

      Not all of us want to spend the money or weight on bags and would just like to get more info on the coilovers that are out there. If we were searching for info on coils vs bags we would search it, there is endless threads on the topic, to which you have both contributed.

      I just want more info on the coilovers that are available and personal reviews of them, as that is the route I wish to go at this time. Is that too much to ask?

      I may eventually want to go bags because they are great for many reasons, and when I do, you guys will the first people I hit up for info and advice. Until then, all we ask is for the same respect we, or at least I, would afford you if rolls were reversed.

      Thanks guys, mad respect

    22. Member DioMacchina's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Jersey
      Posts
      257
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      05-09-2012 06:00 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by brandonekingatl View Post
      Guys....really??

      Dutch, I love your car, the bags are awesome and some of the pics you have taken are the best looking ones of any R worldwide...period.
      Johnny, not knocking you, I'm sure your 400hp with bags was/is the SHjT and when you R shows up, if hasn't already, will be the envy of many on here, myself included (especially those seats).
      I respect the H*** out of what you guys have done to your cars and truly appreciate your contributions across the threads in the R forums but...

      Not all of us want to spend the money or weight on bags and would just like to get more info on the coilovers that are out there. If we were searching for info on coils vs bags we would search it, there is endless threads on the topic, to which you have both contributed.

      I just want more info on the coilovers that are available and personal reviews of them, as that is the route I wish to go at this time. Is that too much to ask?

      I may eventually want to go bags because they are great for many reasons, and when I do, you guys will the first people I hit up for info and advice. Until then, all we ask is for the same respect we, or at least I, would afford you if rolls were reversed.

      Thanks guys, mad respect
      Thats exactly it, I am by no means anti bags, I have great respect for bags many of the world's most high end vehicles which I have driven and worked on utilize air bag systems. However, some of us are looking for coil overs and this thread would be a great resource to help people like us learn more about what is on the market for our application and what people are experiencing with those systems. Dutchmaster9 you of all people should respect the idea of not ruining a thread being the self appointed forum police you are. We know you love bags and you posted your pics and info in this thread as a joke but you also knew it was going to provoke the belabored air vs static debate regardless. Is it possible to steer this thread back to the OP's original intent?

    23. Member Nuc1ear_Rabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 11th, 2003
      Location
      Sacramento, CA
      Posts
      1,011
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      05-09-2012 06:29 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by brandonekingatl View Post
      I just want more info on the coilovers that are available and personal reviews of them, as that is the route I wish to go at this time. Is that too much to ask?
      2012 Rising Blue Golf .:R - GIAC Stage 2 - 42DD 3" Turboback, APR HPFP, EVOMS V-Flow Intake, South Bend DXD Stage 3 Daily + Flywheel, H&R Street Performance Coilovers, H&R 26mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, HPA Dog Bone, Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter, OEM Smoked LED Tails, Podi Boost Gauge, ESC Defeated, and more...

    24. Junior Member EsqR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2012
      Location
      Redneck Riviera
      Posts
      90
      05-09-2012 09:11 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Jouko Haapanen View Post
      I have the H2Sport kit utilizing the Ohlins dampers on my R, along with the H2Sport Spindles and H2Sport Camber Kit. I have nothing but good things to say about the setup...although I may be a little biased.



      Here are a few pictures of my car and the goodies: http://www.flickr.com/photos/h2sport...7629592674904/
      Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Any pics of the car with the setup installed with wheels on and on the ground? Any clue on price b/c the site for H2sport still isn't working and haven't seen anything on Facebook? Also, how is the ride quality? Tracked the R yet?

    25. Member
      Join Date
      May 18th, 2003
      Location
      Buffalo, NY
      Posts
      4,138
      05-09-2012 09:19 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by EsqR View Post
      Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Any pics of the car with the setup installed with wheels on and on the ground? Any clue on price b/c the site for H2sport still isn't working and haven't seen anything on Facebook? Also, how is the ride quality? Tracked the R yet?
      H2sport coilovers are over 3k

    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •