Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf R Coilover Options

Vehicles
      2012 BMP Golf R 4 dr, 2010 CSG 2 dr GTI (sold), 2004.5 BMP GLI pimped (sold), 2000 TR GTI vr6 (sold)
      05-09-2012 12:39 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      having a reliable 400whp GTI on air suspension was enough for me to never want coilovers again.
      Dude, we get it, you have a hard on for bags. Can we please just stick to the point of the thread

Do we have any body else running VWR streetsport regular or plus on here? Really want to get some more input before pulling the trigger. I know some other locals are going to be running B&G coils, anybody else have thoughts/experience with these?

2. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      15 GTI Autobahn / 13 Golf R / 04 R32 / 02 337
      05-09-2012 12:45 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by brandonekingatl View Post
      Dude, we get it, you have a hard on for bags. Can we please just stick to the point of the thread

Do we have any body else running VWR streetsport regular or plus on here? Really want to get some more input before pulling the trigger. I know some other locals are going to be running B&G coils, anybody else have thoughts/experience with these?

Vehicles
      2013 PGM Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium
      05-09-2012 01:11 PM #38
      There seems to be a lot of misinformation about bags and it seems to me like all of you are stereotyping guys on air- it's like you're envisioning "Low Rider" magazines on hydraulics, not air. Two different worlds. There isn't anything wrong with air and if you're not tracking your car, I don't see why it is such a big deal and even if you do track sometimes, I still don't see the problem. Do your research on them, and you'll find the results. I personally wouldn't run bags on a dedicated track car, but my car will never see the track. I may do a few passes just because I'm curious, but that's about it. It's low parked, raised up when driving. There guys aren't out here scraping or ghost riding their whips. I'll probably go air when I run out of **** to do to my car.
      2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Platinum Grey Metallic- Current
      2012 Golf R Candy White Sunroof/Nav- Sold 2012 Golf R Candy WhiteSunroof/Nav-Sold Twice
      2006 Jetta GLI PKG#2 DSG- Sold
      2005 GTI 1.8T Reflex Silver- Sold
      2005 Golf GLS Indigo Blue- Sold

4. Member
      Vehicles
      RB golf R
      05-09-2012 01:14 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by JLCVDUB View Post
      There seems to be a lot of misinformation about bags and it seems to me like all of you are stereotyping guys on air- it's like you're envisioning "Low Rider" magazines on hydraulics, not air. Two different worlds. There isn't anything wrong with air and if you're not tracking your car, I don't see why it is such a big deal and even if you do track sometimes, I still don't see the problem. Do your research on them, and you'll find the results. I personally wouldn't run bags on a dedicated track car, but my car will never see the track. I may do a few passes just because I'm curious, but that's about it. It's low parked, raised up when driving. There guys aren't out here scraping or ghost riding their whips. I'll probably go air when I run out of **** to do to my car.

5. Member
      05-09-2012 01:27 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by JLCVDUB View Post
      Well said, but some people are just annoyed that this is a coilover thread and people with bags came into it and pretty much derailed it.

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      05-09-2012 02:02 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      Well said, but some people are just annoyed that this is a coilover thread and people with bags came into it and pretty much derailed it.
      except it was really the anti-bag people who derailed it by starting an arguement with zero facts. sure i posted my bagged car in this "coilover" thread as sort of a joke but i followed the OPs criteria and didnt say anything except that i like my bags. and when you think about it, bags are very similar to coils, they both have height and can both have dampening adjustability, the main difference being one uses a metal spring and the other uses an airbag. The anti-bag people came in and started arguing, did they even post any info about coils? i dont think so. so essentially my post was more informative and on topic than their posts, except i'm able to laugh at their ignorance and not get my panties in a bunch because someone wants to mod their car in a different manner than me
      Last edited by Dutchmastr9; 05-09-2012 at 02:04 PM.
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

05-09-2012 02:02 PM #42
      I have the H2Sport kit utilizing the Ohlins dampers on my R, along with the H2Sport Spindles and H2Sport Camber Kit. I have nothing but good things to say about the setup...although I may be a little biased.

Quote Originally Posted by EsqR View Post
      IDoes anyone have the H2sport setup? Is it even out yet? Also, is anyone running the Bilstein PSS10s?
      Here are a few pictures of my car and the goodies: http://www.flickr.com/photos/h2sport...7629592674904/
      Jouko Haapanen
      President
      Georgetown Volkswagen

8. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      15 GTI Autobahn / 13 Golf R / 04 R32 / 02 337
      05-09-2012 02:14 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      except it was really the anti-bag people who derailed it by starting an arguement with zero facts. sure i posted my bagged car in this "coilover" thread as sort of a joke but i followed the OPs criteria and didnt say anything except that i like my bags. and when you think about it, bags are very similar to coils, they both have height and can both have dampening adjustability, the main difference being one uses a metal spring and the other uses an airbag. The anti-bag people came in and started arguing, did they even post any info about coils? i dont think so. so essentially my post was more informative and on topic than their posts, except i'm able to laugh at their ignorance and not get my panties in a bunch because someone wants to mod their car in a different manner than me

Vehicles
      2013 PGM Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium
      05-09-2012 04:03 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by sup_lado View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      Yeah, I understand, but it would be nice if people would have a more open mind about things and not judge a book by its cover. Completely understand the coilover only part, but I think that it'd be nice to put some good literature on both sides so that people are well informed on their options.

2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Platinum Grey Metallic- Current
      2012 Golf R Candy White Sunroof/Nav- Sold 2012 Golf R Candy WhiteSunroof/Nav-Sold Twice
      2006 Jetta GLI PKG#2 DSG- Sold
      2005 GTI 1.8T Reflex Silver- Sold
      2005 Golf GLS Indigo Blue- Sold

10. Member
      05-09-2012 04:25 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Jouko Haapanen View Post
      I have the H2Sport kit utilizing the Ohlins dampers on my R, along with the H2Sport Spindles and H2Sport Camber Kit. I have nothing but good things to say about the setup...although I may be a little biased.

Here are a few pictures of my car and the goodies: http://www.flickr.com/photos/h2sport...7629592674904/
      So jealous. Wish I had a reason to get that same setup, especially since I only live about 45 minutes from H2Sport.

Vehicles
      2012 BMP Golf R 4 dr, 2010 CSG 2 dr GTI (sold), 2004.5 BMP GLI pimped (sold), 2000 TR GTI vr6 (sold)
      05-09-2012 05:05 PM #46
      Guys....really??

Dutch, I love your car, the bags are awesome and some of the pics you have taken are the best looking ones of any R worldwide...period.
      Johnny, not knocking you, I'm sure your 400hp with bags was/is the SHjT and when you R shows up, if hasn't already, will be the envy of many on here, myself included (especially those seats).
      I respect the H*** out of what you guys have done to your cars and truly appreciate your contributions across the threads in the R forums but...

Not all of us want to spend the money or weight on bags and would just like to get more info on the coilovers that are out there. If we were searching for info on coils vs bags we would search it, there is endless threads on the topic, to which you have both contributed.

I just want more info on the coilovers that are available and personal reviews of them, as that is the route I wish to go at this time. Is that too much to ask?

I may eventually want to go bags because they are great for many reasons, and when I do, you guys will the first people I hit up for info and advice. Until then, all we ask is for the same respect we, or at least I, would afford you if rolls were reversed.

Thanks guys, mad respect

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      05-09-2012 06:00 PM #47
      Guys....really??

Dutch, I love your car, the bags are awesome and some of the pics you have taken are the best looking ones of any R worldwide...period.
      Johnny, not knocking you, I'm sure your 400hp with bags was/is the SHjT and when you R shows up, if hasn't already, will be the envy of many on here, myself included (especially those seats).
      I respect the H*** out of what you guys have done to your cars and truly appreciate your contributions across the threads in the R forums but...

Not all of us want to spend the money or weight on bags and would just like to get more info on the coilovers that are out there. If we were searching for info on coils vs bags we would search it, there is endless threads on the topic, to which you have both contributed.

I just want more info on the coilovers that are available and personal reviews of them, as that is the route I wish to go at this time. Is that too much to ask?

I may eventually want to go bags because they are great for many reasons, and when I do, you guys will the first people I hit up for info and advice. Until then, all we ask is for the same respect we, or at least I, would afford you if rolls were reversed.

Thanks guys, mad respect
      Thats exactly it, I am by no means anti bags, I have great respect for bags many of the world's most high end vehicles which I have driven and worked on utilize air bag systems. However, some of us are looking for coil overs and this thread would be a great resource to help people like us learn more about what is on the market for our application and what people are experiencing with those systems. Dutchmaster9 you of all people should respect the idea of not ruining a thread being the self appointed forum police you are. We know you love bags and you posted your pics and info in this thread as a joke but you also knew it was going to provoke the belabored air vs static debate regardless. Is it possible to steer this thread back to the OP's original intent?

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      05-09-2012 06:29 PM #48
      2012 Rising Blue Golf .:R - GIAC Stage 2 - 42DD 3" Turboback, APR HPFP, EVOMS V-Flow Intake, South Bend DXD Stage 3 Daily + Flywheel, H&R Street Performance Coilovers, H&R 26mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, HPA Dog Bone, Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter, OEM Smoked LED Tails, Podi Boost Gauge, ESC Defeated, and more...

05-09-2012 09:11 PM #49

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Any pics of the car with the setup installed with wheels on and on the ground? Any clue on price b/c the site for H2sport still isn't working and haven't seen anything on Facebook? Also, how is the ride quality? Tracked the R yet?

15. Member
      05-09-2012 09:19 PM #50
      Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Any pics of the car with the setup installed with wheels on and on the ground? Any clue on price b/c the site for H2sport still isn't working and haven't seen anything on Facebook? Also, how is the ride quality? Tracked the R yet?
      H2sport coilovers are over 3k

16. Member
      Vehicles
      CSG 4dr .:R
      05-09-2012 09:28 PM #51
      I'm surprised noone has mentioned KWV3. Seems a logical choice, ubiquitous, reliable and supported on the R. Oh and bags are ghetto.

Vehicles
      2012 R
      05-09-2012 09:45 PM #52
      Coilover manufacture: KW

Coilover model: V2

Ride Settings (Thread count, what is the dampening set on etc.): All the way down

Ride comfort (1-10): 10

Quality (1-10): 10

Happy with decision? (Y/N, if no... why?): I am happy with the ride they do not go nearly as low as I would like them I have them all the way down and still and a finger and a half of wheel gap I would like more of a choice of lower ride height.

Picture of them installed:
      HSD
      Southcoastvw.org

2004 Jetta Gli 24v Bagged Daily
      2012 R

Vehicles
      2012 R
      05-09-2012 09:46 PM #53
      It does take corners over 100 pretty nicely
      HSD
      Southcoastvw.org

2004 Jetta Gli 24v Bagged Daily
      2012 R

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 MKIV R32, 2007 Wolfsburg Passat, 2012 Golf R
      05-09-2012 09:57 PM #54

Very nice - I have an ohlins remote reservior setup on myMKIV R32 and can attest to the ride quality and range of adjustability.

Two quick questions - what spring rates come with the kit, and how close to OEM ride height can it go.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 10:03 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by BarretteGLi View Post

Ride Settings (Thread count, what is the dampening set on etc.): All the way down

Happy with decision? (Y/N, if no... why?): I am happy with the ride they do not go nearly as low as I would like them I have them all the way down and still and a finger and a half of wheel gap I would like more of a choice of lower ride height.

Those look great, 19"s would fix that final bit of gap. How much do those run $$?

21. Member
      Vehicles
      RB golf R
      05-10-2012 01:09 AM #56
      Those look great, 19"s would fix that final bit of gap. How much do those run $$?
      HPA have some deals for them KWs. check them out.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      RB golf R
      05-10-2012 01:14 AM #57

This.. come on people, Dutch and Johnny will probably help you more information on both bags and coilovers. Some might actually want to learn both of them. So if bags is not your thing then focus on the coilovers. Well said Dutch!

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      05-10-2012 07:17 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by sup_lado View Post
      This.. come on people, Dutch and Johnny will probably help you more information on both bags and coilovers. Some might actually want to learn both of them. So if bags is not your thing then focus on the coilovers. Well said Dutch!
      Haha we were trying to focus on the coilovers. That was the point, if people want to learn about both then make another thread.

Vehicles
      2012 R
      05-10-2012 07:54 AM #59
      having a reliable 400whp GTI on air suspension was enough for me to never want coilovers again.
      And this one will have the sway bar still in!

05-10-2012 10:19 AM #60
      I haven't had a chance to take much in the way of pictures. As far as height goes, I'm running the car at a height that is functional as a daily driver and also takes into account optimizing the geometry changes of the Sport Spindles. Hoping for some track time this summer, unfortunately cycling fills most of the calendar...

Edit...the link to H2Sport online store for pricing:
      http://www.h2salesandservice.com/Coi...p/coilover.htm

Last edited by Jouko Haapanen; 05-10-2012 at 10:21 AM.
      Jouko Haapanen
      President
      Georgetown Volkswagen

Vehicles
      MkVI Golf R
      05-10-2012 04:24 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by BarretteGLi View Post

Exactly what I wanted to see. Do you have any pictures of the car parked? To get a better idea of how all the way down looks on these coils.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      05-10-2012 07:15 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakerrrr View Post
      Exactly what I wanted to see. Do you have any pictures of the car parked? To get a better idea of how all the way down looks on these coils.
      X2, I am seriously considering the V2s, more pics pleeeze.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2012 08:46 PM #63
      This whole desire to slam the car at the expense of suspension geometry... how did this become a VW thing? A golf thing? It seems to be pretty much *the* defining characteristic of modding in this community.

In contrast I've rarely seen Evo's with any rubber obscured by the fender. Its almost always a 1 or 2 finger gap, and even then lots of concern about the geometry and adding roll center kits etc. Same with M3's and even STi's (although there are tire stretchers aplenty in riceland...)

Just curious? Why the slam??? The pic with the V2's above seems already too low to me.....
      Last edited by ToddMcF2002; 05-10-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: grammar

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      05-10-2012 09:38 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
      This whole desire to slam the car at the expense of suspension geometry... how did this become a VW thing? A golf thing? It seems to be pretty much *the* defining characteristic of modding in this community.

In contrast I've rarely seen Evo's with any rubber obscured by the fender. Its almost always a 1 or 2 finger gap, and even then lots of concern about the geometry and adding roll center kits etc. Same with M3's and even STi's (although there are tire stretchers aplenty in riceland...)

Just curious? Why the slam??? The pic with the V2's above seems already too low to me.....
      These questions are going to take this thread right back to where everyone hoped it wouldn't go

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 11:21 PM #65

people have been lowering vws and other cars since the dawn of time. do some research before asking stupid questions

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 11:57 PM #66
      should we just start a whole new thread and scrap this one?

32. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      05-11-2012 07:05 AM #67
      should we just start a whole new thread and scrap this one?
      I actually had the same thought when the whole bags vs. coils thing started. It would be nice for an admin to just come in and toast the posts that are off topic, including this one.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      05-11-2012 10:19 AM #68
      people have been lowering vws and other cars since the dawn of time. do some research before asking stupid questions
      Perhaps you should look in the other communities yourself. Not everyone is compromising their cars like you are.

Try this in Google oh search meister:
      "M3Forum Bags"
      And then:
      "VWVortex Bags"

Take a look at the difference in result context... before giving stupid replies.

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 10:26 AM #69
      Perhaps you should look in the other communities yourself. Not everyone is compromising their cars like you are.

Try this in Google oh search meister:
      "M3Forum Bags"
      And then:
      "VWVortex Bags"

Take a look at the difference in result context... before giving stupid replies.
      how bout no. i dont really care how other choose to modify their cars unlike you.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      05-11-2012 10:30 AM #70
      how bout no. i dont really care how other choose to modify their cars unlike you.
      Back to my original post - I was simply curious why it was a trend here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast