Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MkV going Air soon have a few questions

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      05-02-2012 09:27 PM #1
      Within the next month or so I'm going to pull the trigger on an air ride kit but I have a few questions.

The first is more of a opinion than a question, but I'm thinking of going paddle valves until I can save up more for a good management system. Does that seem like a smart move or would most of you just keep saving?

Second would be which rear setup is the easiest to install/use on a daily... I've read some posts saying some rear setups are harder to install/are tighter and risk rubbing.

The last thing is regarding water traps, are they needed or more of a convince?
      Pm me for any and all glass questions and inquires, or any VAG-COM needs.

"ITS A BAD TIME BOB!"

Vehicles
      2015 Golf GTI and a 2014 VW Tiguan 4 Motion SE
      05-02-2012 11:01 PM #2
      Installing air this weekend.
      1. I'd keep saving. Do it right the first time- unless you really just want a manual set up.
      2. Don't know yet. I'll let someone else chime in... But I went with air lift performance. We'll see how the install goes.
      3. Get the traps. It's a convenience to not have to worry about a bunch of rust in your tank or water in your lines and valves.
      ///”VDUBkill 2:0 – The path of 2.0T is beset on all sides by the injustice of the speed trap and the Plague of the Prius drivers. But blessed is he who in the name of disparity overwhelmeth the exotic in the valley of the s-bends. And I shall strike down upon thee with great revs and furious acceleration those who attempt to obstruct or delay my overtaking and you will know my engine is turbocharged when I lay my powerband upon thee.”

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      05-02-2012 11:11 PM #3
      1. Continue saving and do it right the first time. You'll save money in the long run
      2. Don't do airlift in the rear. Go with a Slam Specialties or Universal bag with dcups
      3. Placement of water traps is often debated but they definitely help. At $30 a piece - I have two. One before the tank and one before the manifold

// Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      05-03-2012 12:53 AM #4
      I don't see why everyone is so against manual setups?

"ITS A BAD TIME BOB!"

5. Member
      Vehicles
      07 baggedwagon, now 12 GLI
      05-03-2012 07:21 AM #5
      Not everyone hates manual. I liked it, but eventually wanted the ease of one touch convenience. Talk to Andrew at ORT. He can get your rears figured out. It all depends on how invasive you want to get.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf GTI and a 2014 VW Tiguan 4 Motion SE
      05-03-2012 07:21 AM #6
      Not against them. Just want to be able to set it and forget it for simplicity.

My setup is much like Bryan's. Ive got try watertraps in the same spot.
      Last edited by Seppdelaney; 05-03-2012 at 07:23 AM.
      ///”VDUBkill 2:0 – The path of 2.0T is beset on all sides by the injustice of the speed trap and the Plague of the Prius drivers. But blessed is he who in the name of disparity overwhelmeth the exotic in the valley of the s-bends. And I shall strike down upon thee with great revs and furious acceleration those who attempt to obstruct or delay my overtaking and you will know my engine is turbocharged when I lay my powerband upon thee.”

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      05-03-2012 08:16 AM #7
      Not against manual setups but I don't think you'll find a single person to disagrees that digital setups just make life so much easier
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

Vehicles
      MKIV Jetta, MKV GTI
      05-03-2012 10:18 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by APURPLEKING View Post
      Within the next month or so I'm going to pull the trigger on an air ride kit but I have a few questions.

The first is more of a opinion than a question, but I'm thinking of going paddle valves until I can save up more for a good management system. Does that seem like a smart move or would most of you just keep saving?

Second would be which rear setup is the easiest to install/use on a daily... I've read some posts saying some rear setups are harder to install/are tighter and risk rubbing.

The last thing is regarding water traps, are they needed or more of a convince?
      1.) Do it right or do it twice seems to be the saying going around right now, and it's true. I had paddles for almost a year, and now that I have analogue I'm soooooooo much more happy with my car.

2.) I'd stay away from airlift XL's, any other bag with D-cups or airlift performance bags. Also stay away from the airlift rear shocks, as they're really short and limit your lift.

3.) You'll see a lot of variance in this. I personally have it between my tank and my manifold in order to stop any sort of moisture/debris getting in to the valves. you will collect more moisture if you put it between the tank and the compressors, but if your tank has a drain port on the bottom, it's not really an issue.

I'd also recommend an aluminum tank.
      Lower-IT
      // DROP // DRAG // DESTROY
      OpenRoadTuning

Vehicles
      MKIV Jetta, MKV GTI
      05-03-2012 10:21 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by APURPLEKING View Post
      I don't see why everyone is so against manual setups?
      Me, having had both in my car, and having personally installed both. Manual is a bitch to install, slow, noisy, and smelly. Installing analogue was 10x faster, car fills and dumps faster. and is so much of a better "air ride experience."
      Quote Originally Posted by fasttt600 View Post
      Not everyone hates manual. I liked it, but eventually wanted the ease of one touch convenience. Talk to Andrew at ORT. He can get your rears figured out. It all depends on how invasive you want to get.
      +1 for Andrew.
      Lower-IT
      // DROP // DRAG // DESTROY
      OpenRoadTuning

Vehicles
      96' GLX
      05-05-2012 09:36 PM #10
      Is manual harder to run because you have to run air lines to the paddles in the cabin, as opposed to just running wires with digital.

Can someone post up a vid of their compressors filling up the tank? I can't find any vid showing how loud it is...

"ITS A BAD TIME BOB!"