Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Window tinting in Illinois

1. Member
      Vehicles
      better than criley76s car
      05-02-2012 09:39 PM #1
      I know how much everyone here loves window tint. The Fishbowl society should be proof for that. But for those of you who actually have tinted windows and by chance in Illinois. It would be much appreciated what tint % you have and if you've been pulled over for it. I ask this because I am set to get mine tinted next Monday and I am still unsure of what I am getting.

2. 05-02-2012 09:43 PM #2

05-02-2012 09:49 PM #3
      look up your states legal limit. I would not go very dark tho. As you will get over it, especially at night. the absolute darkest i would even consider would be 35% and thats still pushing it.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      My Flickr
      Instagram: @twilliams83

4. Junior Member
      05-02-2012 10:00 PM #4
      We tint in my shop daily, and province/state laws along with car color usually dictate the %

5. Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 10:02 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Twilliams83 View Post
      look up your states legal limit. I would not go very dark tho. As you will get over it, especially at night. the absolute darkest i would even consider would be 35% and thats still pushing it.
      Yeah the limit is 35% all around or what ever in the back and nothing in the front. Cops are usually cool about it if your nice and not a jerk about it. But 35% is nothing, its almost like looking through a clear window and wouldn't be worth it to me. Cops in my area rarely pull people over in the winter time and if they do they don't waste time writing a ticket for tint. During the summer what I've heard is to just roll down the front windows when you see a cop. But still looking for experiences from others.

Vehicles
      2012 CSG Golf R
      05-02-2012 10:41 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by americancarspoop View Post
      Yeah the limit is 35% all around or what ever in the back and nothing in the front. Cops are usually cool about it if your nice and not a jerk about it. But 35% is nothing, its almost like looking through a clear window and wouldn't be worth it to me. Cops in my area rarely pull people over in the winter time and if they do they don't waste time writing a ticket for tint. During the summer what I've heard is to just roll down the front windows when you see a cop. But still looking for experiences from others.
      it's your own risk man. I've lived in illinois all of my life. People get tint tickets all the time. It's illegal to have more than 35% all around or limo back with anything in the front iirc just like you said. If you feel comfortable driving around whatever area you live in with darker than the legal limit, than go for it...you just can't get pissed off when you get pulled over for it and/or get a ticket (especially when you know already that it's illegal). I hear about people getting hassled for it from all different areas. I've lived in the plainfield/joliet area for 3 years now and i lived in oak lawn prior to that since i was born (22yrs). Personally, i wouldn't waste my time/money with something darker than the legal limit. Tint in general (especially when darker than the legal limit) is just asking to be hassled so i just don't bother with it...not too add, i like many other here, prefer the "fishbowl" look.
      - Jon

7. Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 11:11 PM #7
      I've heard of some people getting prescriptions from optometrists. It wouldn't be impossible considering I do have a hard time seeing in the sun. (Usually takes me about 10-15 minutes to get adjusted) In that case I'd for sure go with 25% front and 15% back.

8. 05-02-2012 11:59 PM #8
      when i lived in prospect heights, il i had my e36 bmw with 20% all around and 5% in rear and had no probs. just go dark in the rear and 35% in the fronts should be enough. if not throw 20% up front, its your call
      Last edited by vdub5818; 05-03-2012 at 12:02 AM.
      03 silverstone GTI 24v
      EVOMS CAI, AWE exhaust, C2 race tune, Ultimos, BBS CH 18", h&r spacers, joey mod, black emblems, blacked tails, reiger illuminated shift knob/boot, 2 eclipse 12's

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 2.0, 1996 Jetta Trek
      05-03-2012 04:18 AM #9
      Being from IL, but not currently living there, I followed the tint community's "Great Matter" to legalize tint in IL and the year-long mess it turned out to be (so I know in case I find myself living in IL which is possible) I can offer some advice from my own situation that may help.

I live in a state that is 50% VLT all around. My last Jetta (MKIII) came with 35% from the PO (from a state that allows 30%). My parents live in this 30% state, so for almost all of the 3+ years I owned that Jetta I kept it licensed in that state to avoid the hassle all together. 30% is VERY noticeably different from 50%, so I always thought sooner or later some officer would want to get out the meter and have to let me go when he looks up that I was legal in my licensed state. I get pulled over A LOT. Maybe 10 times a year (and no tickets ha) and only once did an officer give my tint a passing thought (coincidentally it was just after I started licensing my car in my own state). He pulled me over for a burnt out license plate light and said "your windows seem a little dark do you know what the light transmittance is?" I replied honestly with "I think maybe 35%". His reply was: "Are you aware this state has a 50% limit? Well here's what honesty is going to get you today. I'm going to let you go, and I'm going to assume that I don't need to write you a fix-it-ticket because you are going buy a new license plate light right away, right?" I said yes sir and he sent me on my way. I bought two new lic plt lights later that day and installed them.

Shortly after this I bought a MKIV Jetta and registered it in my 50% state. The day after driving my MKIV home I tinted my windows. I tried really hard to be legal and put on 50%. Well, OP, as you agree 50% is barely enough to do a double take and see there actually is tint on the windows. I planned ahead and had 3 varieties of 3M FX HP available: 50, 35 and 20. After holding up 50% to my windows I immediately changed my mind about going legal. I planned on going with 35% since I did it for 3 years and could live with it, but before applying anything I tested a piece of 20% and really liked it. Initially, my logic was that 35% would decrease my ticket liability compared to 20% (chance of failing to get out of a potential ticket because 35 is closer to 50 than 20) but then I realized that anything less than 50 is so obviously not 50 that it really doesn't matter until you go less than 20. So that being said I went with 20% and couldn't be happier. I like how cool my vehicle is after sitting in a parking lot on a hot day, and I really hate the fish bowl effect (not in general--just my personal feeling toward my personal car).

I guess the point to this much longer than necessary story is go with what satisfies you; as long as you are polite and courteous to the officers that pull you over, outside of Chicago I think its highly unlikely you'll get an un-provoked tint ticket if you make sure you can lower your driver side window without making the officer feel threatened by your actions (but my experience with IL cops is limited). Always keep in mind this could mean accepting the tinting cost as a loss and starting over if you keep getting nailed. This isn't my job, so taking time away to remove it and replace it with legal tint would be a pain. For me it probably took almost as long to decide for sure on my tint level than it did to apply it, but I'm glad I chose as I did and I'm glad I was patient to put enough thought into so it wasn't a whim.

Whatever you do; consider sticking with 35%--it isn't that bad. But don't go less than 20%--anything less crosses into being unsafe and is not accepted in most states. Limo is stupid; don't even consider it--tint that dark is why the industry has such a hard time being accepted.

One question though--you say that you can't have anything on front windows in IL. What happened to the 2009 law making 35% legal on all windows? Did it get repealed?

Vehicles
      2012 CSG Golf R
      05-03-2012 11:03 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dubinpeace View Post
      .One question though--you say that you can't have anything on front windows in IL. What happened to the 2009 law making 35% legal on all windows? Did it get repealed?
      you can have tint on the front windows...but i believe if you have under 35% on any back window, you can't have anything on your front windows (thats how i believe it works at least)...
      - Jon

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat 3.6 SE DSG "Black Betty" -R.I.P. / 2007 Dodge Magnum SXT "Maggie"
      05-04-2012 03:37 PM #11
      Yep. 35% all around, or dark as you want in the back nothing up front. I live in Illinois and I got 35% all the way around. Here is what it looks like, sorry for the picture quality, its a cell phone pic.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01/audi/tt roadster 225 AND 88 RX7
      05-05-2012 03:19 PM #12
      was prob. already stated but 35% is legal up front. Everyone I ever do usually goes 20%, with no problems at all with authorities.

I personally went 2.5% out back and 20% up front of the stabbin wagon.
      J'S REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE
      PLAINFIELD, IL
      VAG-COM EQUIPPED-815-556-0027
      01E/01X TRANSMISSION REBUILDER- CALL FOR UN-MATCHED PRICE!!!