Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eurotuner ceasing publication June 2012

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      05-02-2012 11:47 PM #1
      bye eurotuner. kinda bummed. they obviously weren't PVW in stature but they really did do good things for the community and gave lots of you guys features. I'm positive they'll continue as an online publication in the meantime...but as a printed publication...

RIP eurotuner

2. Member
      05-02-2012 11:52 PM #2
      bummer, good bathroom material.

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      05-02-2012 11:53 PM #3
      I wonder how long it will be till we have no printed publications anywhere anymore.

Vehicles
      VW
      05-02-2012 11:55 PM #4
      It's always sad when something involved in our community goes under. Unfortunately this is a destination of all printed media. Some sooner then later.
      I wonder if they will refund my money for 2yr subscription.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      your mom
      05-02-2012 11:58 PM #5
      Long time coming, not a surprise to anyone really

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      05-03-2012 12:14 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      It's always sad when something involved in our community goes under. Unfortunately this is a destination of all printed media. Some sooner then later.
      I wonder if they will refund my money for 2yr subscription.
      you'll probly get european car instead.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      vw jetta
      05-03-2012 11:02 AM #7
      they were still printing this.
      A Dutty Dub
      OutCastDubs

Vehicles
      84 ABA Jetta, 97 Golf, 84 rabbit 16v, 97 Cherokee
      05-03-2012 01:04 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Digital K. View Post
      I wonder how long it will be till we have no printed publications anywhere anymore.

This is completely foreseeable. I hope it sticks around, but electronic versions of everything is taking over! I personally enjoy holding a copy of a mag or book, but I suppose I am in the minority.

Vehicles
      84 GTI,90 Cabriolet,80 rabbit pickup,09 scion XD
      05-03-2012 02:18 PM #9
      I miss sport compact car magazine I forget what they became..but grassroots motorsports still has a lot of good info
      DCIVW

Vehicles
      03 Cooper S, 13 Plug In Prius, 11 RAV4
      05-03-2012 03:18 PM #10
      kimda bummed as well.. Its obvious that e/t isn't the best out there, but it did have some good features and was inexpensive and it was always worth the read.
      my subscription is good til2015 sometime.. Lol
      ................................................www.PRIDECOLLISION.com

Vehicles
      1979 Rabbit 4-door
      05-03-2012 04:37 PM #11
      i used to pick up European Car, Eurotuner, and PVW..

i was consistantly dissapointed with Eurotuner and European car, and only bought PVW.

even though it's more than $10 per issue, i buy it every month.

i'd rather read about a clean rabbit than a shop-tuned M3

12. 05-03-2012 04:54 PM #12
      Never bought a Eurotuner. I guess Im part of the problem.

Also, I havent bought a PVW since they quit having hot chicks on the cover.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Jetta 16v ITB/CIS, 1982 Jetta ABA Turbo, 1977 Scirocco pile
      05-03-2012 05:24 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by deathhare. View Post
      exactly
      I've never even looked through a eurotuner
      they always had ridiculous looking massive-huge-dollar BMW's on the covers when saw them, they didn't look like anything i'd be interested in

I like Retro Car a lot though, and I still pick up PVW and Golf+ every once in a while
      i feel the same way about having a physical thing to hold in your hands, it just feels better, but that still doesn't mean I buy magazines often. the Internet is still "free" and easily accessed

14. 05-03-2012 05:44 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by deathhare. View Post

Also, I havent bought a PVW since they quit having hot chicks on the cover.

X2 on both counts. Used to love European Car in the early 90's, it was almost exclusively and A1 and A2 mag.

Vehicles
      3 Volkswagens!
      05-03-2012 06:47 PM #15
      That magazine was more like Sport Compact Car.........buh bye!
      Vamped Tuning! Scrappy Dubs!

Vehicles
      89 Cabriolet, 89 Jetta 03 A6 Avant, 08 Tribeca, 2012 powerwheels Jeep
      05-03-2012 07:01 PM #16
      RIP Eurotuner

The meme works for magazines too.
      Sent from my Droid using an escape pod to Tattoine.

Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      they're trying to skip out on their contracts via rapture. not very christian of them

Vehicles
      Juced Cutty on 13's
      05-03-2012 07:02 PM #17
      dam, that kinda sucks but i stopped buying euro tuner a wile ago. still pick up a PVW all the time though.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A4, 2000 Dodge Durango 4x4, 2007 Yahmaha R6S
      05-03-2012 07:12 PM #18
      that would explain why i couldnt find it on any stands for the past two months.
      Built By Infinite Auto Design-- Full Oettinger-One-Off CSL Style Trunk-Roti BLQ 19” x 9.5” ET25 w/ Kandy Purple-Anzo Lighting R8 Style Black LED HL & TL-Tein Basic Coils-Hotchkis Sways-Revo Stage 2 SW-Britalman Quad Tip SS Exhaust & TP--AWE Boost Gauge-Infinite Auto Design Vented Carbon Hood-Carbon Interior Trim-3 Arc 15s- Pioneer AVIC D3-Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" -2 Arc XDI 804 4 Channel 800 Watt Amps-3 Arc XDI 1001 1,000 Watt Amps

19. Member
      Vehicles
      79 Scirocco 82 Rabbit Truck 85 Golf D 87 GTI 97 Passat TDI 03 TT
      05-03-2012 10:40 PM #19
      The magazine is dying. MY fav international mag store in midtown manhatten cut its size in half a couple years ago.

Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      05-03-2012 10:47 PM #20
      Once they change the paper they printed on I stopped buying. Images just looked like crap. Also the editorials went to **** a few years ago.

Its sad to watch print media die a slow death. Having numerous images published in all sorts of magazines was a great feeling. But in the end I couldnt make ends meet for me and a growing family.

I do not know if in our life times we will see all print cease, maybe we will, its not for certain at this point. There are still a lot of people, like some above mentioned and myself included who love tangible goods. I want to hold a book, flip through the pages... not stare a a screen and click a button or swipe my finger.

I was not a big supporter of ET, but it is sad to see them go. Colleagues of mine are loosing work because of this!
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er

Vehicles
      1962 Volkswagen Beetle
      05-03-2012 11:48 PM #21
      I'm still a huge supporter of printed magazines. I regularly buy Hot VWs, Rod and Kulture, Car Culture Deluxe etc. and subscribe to PVW and Kustoms Illustrated.
      I haven't bought a Eurotuner since Ivan was featured as most of their content was irrelevant to my interests. It's still sad to see another magazine go away.
      RIP Eurotuner.

Vehicles
      VW
      05-03-2012 11:58 PM #22
      Each year at Waterfest, i renew my 2yr subscription. I probably have till 2020 at this point.
      I dont even read about the same looking BMWs they have every month, but they did have some nice VW. Their paper was crap. Mag would fall apart the first day. Still sad to see it go.
      Wish my local stores have GOLF for sale.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      2002 Forester S, 1987 GTI 16v
      05-04-2012 12:04 AM #23
      Most euro mags based in north america suck. All the feature cars have build threads on the internet somewhere, and if they don't, they're not worth reading about. I could care less about shop tuned cars. The last eurotuner I bought had a ****ing 24-karat gold plated BMW that they actually tried to say was really driven and raced. Sorry, waste of paper. Gold-plated brake rotors...

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
      Fick Deps?, Get Deb!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      79 rabbit
      05-04-2012 12:42 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by B4S View Post
      Most euro mags based in north america suck. All the feature cars have build threads on the internet somewhere, and if they don't, they're not worth reading about. I could care less about shop tuned cars. The last eurotuner I bought had a ****ing 24-karat gold plated BMW that they actually tried to say was really driven and raced. Sorry, waste of paper. Gold-plated brake rotors...

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
      so harsh, young grasshopper.

Vehicles
      ///
      05-04-2012 03:01 AM #25
      you'll probly get european car instead.
      well it'd be cool to get something rather than just get cut off completely

but i've still been meaning to subscribe to PVW, i buy every issue anyways, might as well have it delivered

BMX magazines are going in that same direction, they already cut back from 12 to 9 issues a year
      Lower Standards
      instagram: @andye666

Vehicles
      95 cabrio 08 jetta 08 yukon xl 13 explorer xlt
      05-04-2012 02:07 PM #26
      i remember when they made the name change at h2o in 01

27. Member
      Vehicles
      82 Rabbit pickup, 13 Golf TDI
      05-04-2012 02:20 PM #27
      i don't think print will ever fully die off, it will just go through a resizing of the industry. Sure, web publications have undercut print, but people will always have a desire to hold a physical book of images and articles. Print will most likely go towards small batch, hi-end products.

I don't know about y'all, but I try to reduce the already excessive amount of time I spend staring at a glowing LED screen.

It's nice to have something to read that doesn't require power, also.

Vehicles
      mk1 coupe mk2 coupe
      05-04-2012 07:25 PM #28
      good riddance to bad rubbish.everything about the magazine sucked-paper,misprints,horrid editing and most of the cars were junk!
      VW Fiends German Speed Society Banchwerks PVW 4/08 & 7/12
      Nothing leaves Stock Creep Customz Brokestatus Get Low Unix Performance Gengstout

Vehicles
      2004.5 Jetta GLI
      05-04-2012 07:36 PM #29
      Bummer, I'm gonna miss the 50 pages of adds 5 pages of features and articles and 100 subscription inserts

Not really PVW> ET

30. 05-08-2012 03:57 PM #30
      Eurotuner evolved into something readable, but not too far back it was aweful.

I think that magazines are in trouble. Back in December EuroTuner went from 12 issus per year down to 9. 4 issues later and they're done.

Plus, if these guys are moving to European Car, what does that mean to EC? Are they going to punt Bidrawn and Brown? EC has turned into a car mag about high end tuner cars. Very few cars or projects that are suited to the average working folk. I've had a European Car subscription since shortly after the change from VW-Porsche. I won't renew it again. The last issue is under 100 pages.

I really miss SportCompactCar. That Modified magazine that Primedia/SourceInterlink sent to fulfill my subscription was certainly no replacement. SCC used to be 200+ pages of quality, but Primedia/SI axed it down to 100 pages of not much.

If you're looking for good magazines, PVW, Classic and Sports Car, Octane (for the high end stuff), Project Car (for the hands on stuff, too bad they only publish 4 per year and don't do subscriptions), and of course, Top Gear.

-Dave

edit: Primedia/SourceInterlink/whoever owns the mags now.
      Last edited by MrDave; 05-09-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Vehicles
      Mk2 Sheepmobile w/ a 3.2 24V poser swap
      05-08-2012 08:47 PM #31
      Not suprised. In what, twelve years that mag changed titles at least three times, went through about four editors-in-chief, and never really established an edititorial direction - was it a VW mag, or BMW, or all Euro-inclusive? European Car for young guys? Or Super Street but with VWs? In the end nobody cared, apparently.

Few years ago I posted some less than complimentary opinions about EuraTuna on this forum. By way of reply one of the editors (now former editor Jason Jackmann) told me I was an idiot and I didn't know anything about how car magazines work.

Well, maybe I do or don't, but what I do know is if a magazine is sh*t, people won't buy it. Less newstand and subscription sales leads to a drop in advertising revenues, and even huge gazillion-dollar megacomglomerates like PriMedia or Source - Interlink won't tolerate money-losing titles forever.

TL;DR: Came in to gloat, leaving satisfied.

I heard through a mutual friend former ed Jackmann is in the Army these days.
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.9..16vTurbo View Post
      you should stick to that car your trying to paint

Vehicles
      2002 Forester S, 1987 GTI 16v
      05-08-2012 09:28 PM #32
      If they had perhaps concentrated on being less like a Jap tuner mag with euro cars in it, and more on being a euro mag...they MIGHT have stood a chance. PVW, Retro Car, Retro Ford, PBMW...they do well because they concentrate on their target audience, and NOT on trying to be everyone's magazine.

Armchair editor, right here.
      Fick Deps?, Get Deb!

33. 05-08-2012 09:29 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6swap View Post
      Not suprised. In what, twelve years that mag changed titles at least three times, went through about four editors-in-chief, and never really established an edititorial direction - was it a VW mag, or BMW, or all Euro-inclusive? European Car for young guys? Or Super Street but with VWs? In the end nobody cared, apparently.

Few years ago I posted some less than complimentary opinions about EuraTuna on this forum. By way of reply one of the editors (now former editor Jason Jackmann) told me I was an idiot and I didn't know anything about how car magazines work.

Well, maybe I do or don't, but what I do know is if a magazine is sh*t, people won't buy it. Less newstand and subscription sales leads to a drop in advertising revenues, and even huge gazillion-dollar megacomglomerates like PriMedia or Source - Interlink won't tolerate money-losing titles forever.

TL;DR: Came in to gloat, leaving satisfied.

I heard through a mutual friend former ed Jackmann is in the Army these days.

Vehicles
      MK1 Caddy VR6, B5 S4
      05-08-2012 09:34 PM #34
      I admit there was alot of boring stuff in et but it was cheap and they had some cool features now and then. I despised European car mag a few years ago, buthopefully it gets better with eurotuner influence.

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      05-08-2012 10:41 PM #35
      les bidrawn may not be at EC anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast