Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Axles...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      MK4 GLI
      05-03-2012 06:14 AM #1
      So since our GLI's are "split production" year, which year axles fit?

If I buy a 2004 one from, say O'Reilly Auto, the axle will not fit. And if I buy a 2005 axle, they just bring me a mk5 axle. I have a blown CV boot, I've replaced the boots many times. Just gonna replace the axle this time and Raxles aren't in the budget right now lol.

Looking to order from a local auto parts store, don't really feel like driving on this too much longer. But as a last resort I'll order online.

Any help/input is great!

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and EVO VII RS
      05-03-2012 08:09 AM #2
      See, funny thing is, if you do the dreaded thing of "ordering online" you'll get something that fits proper and be supporting a company that actually supports the VAG scene. Not to mention your vw deserves better than advancedpepzone crap

get these and be done with it:
      http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...rivetrain/8/26

3. Member
      Vehicles
      MK4 GLI
      05-03-2012 11:08 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      See, funny thing is, if you do the dreaded thing of "ordering online" you'll get something that fits proper and be supporting a company that actually supports the VAG scene. Not to mention your vw deserves better than advancedpepzone crap

get these and be done with it:
      http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...rivetrain/8/26
      2 problems with your response.

ONE, the link you provided is to a Golf. If I had a standard Golf, I would've posted in the proper forum. BUT since I have a GLI, I thought I'd post in the 3/2/G forum

TWO. Using your "link" I navigated to the CORRECT car and came up with this.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...a/Drivetrain/8

If you have any info about what I should do since its an Automatic GLI, thank you.

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado VRSEXT & The Daily Yoda Echo hatch
      05-03-2012 11:17 AM #4
      Raxles
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀ Proper▀▄▀▄▀▄▀ <<<<YouTube Video
      My OCD Corrado build thread,My Mk4- 337 cleanup thread
      CarOccasionallyRequiresRacingAnd DangerousOutings

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 05:13 PM #5
      Since you're new at this game, I'll let that roll off my shoulders.. Kinda.

First, problems with YOUR response. Golf/jetta doesn't matter if the transmission is the same. Axles for an O2M in a 1.8t golf/gti are the same as axles for an O2M in a 1.8t Jetta.

Second, you didn't mention in your original post that you had the crappy slushbox. If you would have, I could have taken you to the link that you stumbled upon.

So, to sum things up, check your "facts" before you try to point out other peoples perceived mistakes, and provide ALL the info in the opening post if you want people to help you better.

Quote Originally Posted by heyitsthatguy View Post
      2 problems with your response.

ONE, the link you provided is to a Golf. If I had a standard Golf, I would've posted in the proper forum. BUT since I have a GLI, I thought I'd post in the 3/2/G forum

TWO. Using your "link" I navigated to the CORRECT car and came up with this.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...a/Drivetrain/8

If you have any info about what I should do since its an Automatic GLI, thank you.

And yes, E-mail Marty at Raxles and have him build you a set of OEM equivilent raxles for you.. A little pricey, but it will be the last time you need axles..

6. Member
      Vehicles
      MK4 GLI
      05-03-2012 05:25 PM #6
      Since you're new at this game, I'll let that roll off my shoulders.. Kinda.

First, problems with YOUR response. Golf/jetta doesn't matter if the transmission is the same. Axles for an O2M in a 1.8t golf/gti are the same as axles for an O2M in a 1.8t Jetta.

Second, you didn't mention in your original post that you had the crappy slushbox. If you would have, I could have taken you to the link that you stumbled upon.

So, to sum things up, check your "facts" before you try to point out other peoples perceived mistakes, and provide ALL the info in the opening post if you want people to help you better.

And yes, E-mail Marty at Raxles and have him build you a set of OEM equivilent raxles for you.. A little pricey, but it will be the last time you need axles..

I'll email marty, but in the GLI's, the Auto w/Tiptronic is an 09A Tranny. Not an 02M. Thanks for your help.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 06:04 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by heyitsthatguy View Post
      I'll email marty, but in the GLI's, the Auto w/Tiptronic is an 09A Tranny. Not an 02M. Thanks for your help.
      I'm quite aware of that. This isn't my first day of vw's

8. Member
      Vehicles
      MK4 GLI
      05-03-2012 08:18 PM #8
      Problem solved. Thank you 87vr6

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 08:32 PM #9
      And just in case other people get confused, O2M axles do not work on a tiptronic transmission car, you need different axles which beyond Raxles or the dealer are unobtanium.

Vehicles
      MKV R32; 337 RIP
      05-04-2012 03:21 PM #10
      I'm quite aware of that. This isn't my first day of vw's

n00b.
      .:Roxanne

Vehicles
      2005 gli
      05-05-2012 03:21 PM #11
      I'm a noob and also have a ripped cv boot but I have the o2m. My question is will the axles off a beetle s work on my Jetta. Sorry for the question but the search on my phone sucks. I have found the axels at oreillys for the 6 speed 2002 beetle s. any help would be great.
      "Thats MY Purse! I dont Know YOU!"

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Jetta GLI 1.8T
      05-07-2012 12:13 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by justin123890 View Post
      I'm a noob and also have a ripped cv boot but I have the o2m. My question is will the axles off a beetle s work on my Jetta. Sorry for the question but the search on my phone sucks. I have found the axels at oreillys for the 6 speed 2002 beetle s. any help would be great.
      I'd be interested in your results on this. I have a 2004.5 manual 6 that needed an axle. I contacted GAP and they hadn't experienced my situation yet, but said that based on measurements the Beetle S should be an exact fit. I wasn't willing to test things out and went with Raxle, but if you are then talk to them. Sounds like they're more than willing to swap things out to see if things work.

Vehicles
      2005 gli
      05-08-2012 01:08 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by GLIck View Post
      I'd be interested in your results on this. I have a 2004.5 manual 6 that needed an axle. I contacted GAP and they hadn't experienced my situation yet, but said that based on measurements the Beetle S should be an exact fit. I wasn't willing to test things out and went with Raxle, but if you are then talk to them. Sounds like they're more than willing to swap things out to see if things work.
      I work at oreillys and the same part numbers come up for the 5 speed beetle and 5 speed Jetta. I think I may try it out.

Vehicles
      2005 gli
      05-20-2012 01:02 AM #14
      I can't get 02m axles at oreillys. The ones I get in have a different end on the wheel side. Where ours take a bolt down the center the ones I order have a stud with a nut.

Vehicles
      MKV R32; 337 RIP
      05-20-2012 01:43 AM #15
      just go with the GKN ones from GAP linked to in the second post.
      .:Roxanne

Vehicles
      02' 337, 80' 16v Caddy, 95' S6 Avant
      05-29-2012 12:57 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by justin123890 View Post
      If just your boot is bad, why not only replace that? Much cheaper than a whole axle.

Vehicles
      05-29-2012 01:30 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by urluzn2 View Post
      If just your boot is bad, why not only replace that? Much cheaper than a whole axle.
      Do you know what happens to moving metal parts when grease is removed and abrasive objects are introduced? Nothing good. Yes, if you tore a boot and drove it one mile, replace it... But if it's been bad for a while, might as well move on...

Vehicles
      2005 gli
      06-27-2012 07:43 PM #18
      FYI I live in Phoenix arizona and just had Phoenix rack and axle rebuild my axle cost 110 bucks lifetime warranty.

19. 07-08-2012 08:16 PM #19
      the axles on http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...rivetrain/8/26 looks like a good option; i currently need to change both of them; is funny cause there is alot of different options.

i rebuilded axles before on different cars and they allways go bad, also some guy told me that this axles can't be rebuild cause they have some kind of bearings or some BS like that (not sure about this) is this true?

i leave in CA and i got a quote from a local APR dealer for do the job and they want it almost 900 dollars for both of them and 2 hours of labor witch i think is WAY to much.

i want change do the supesion stage 3 kid from ECs tunning and change the shocks at the same time what you guys think ?