Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: FS/FT 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel LS Custom *excellent condition*

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      1981 VW Rabbit Diesel LS Custom
      05-03-2012 07:33 AM #1
      FS/FT 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel LS Custom *excellent condition*
      For sale 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel LS Custom non-turbo (VW didn't make a turbo diesel until later). Car is in excellent almost mint condition 138,842 miles, 4speed manual transmission. Jensen MP3 CD player with auxiliary jack. Car gets between 40-50 MPG depending on how many hills you have to climb. There is no rust on the frame and only very minor surface rust on exterior in remote locations. Car was garage kept for nearly 30 years and runs like a dream. The only thing it needs is to pin up the headliner and fix the small dents in the right rear quarter panel. It could also use a set of tires; as of right now it still has my winter treads on it. All receipts kept since the car was brand new, I'm only the second owner.

I am asking $3000, and yes I do know what the car is worth. I am in no hurry to sell. I will also consider trades for a 4x4 Ford truck, but it must be in good shape. I don't want something that I would have to work on. Any questions please feel free to email me.
      The car is in absolutely excellent condition mechanically. I recently replaced the driver's side wheel bearing, axle shaft, and the passenger's side inner tie rod end. I had the front end aligned only a few months ago when I put the winter treads on. The only thing it really needs is new tires. The ones that are on the front are studded, but most of the studs are out. The ones on the back may have another 10k miles of them, but if I were going to drive the car tires would be a priority. They are 13" tires, so really they are not that expensive. I just never got around to it.

The car doesn't have AC, but the extra motor that I have does have a compressor. I've never checked it out; it could be seized up, or it could be fine. The car does pull cold air from the front of the grill to blow through vents in the dash, and the heat works as well. The ashtray is missing, and I think one of the rear door locks sticks occasionally. The upholstery is in good shape, no stains, and no tears. I have aftermarket speakers installed in the dash and in the rear deck. They look good (my personal hobby). I still have the original floor mats again no stains. Under the hood there's no rust, but being a diesel it’s rather
      greasy.

It handles really well, it almost would remind you of a go-cart though as the shocks are extremely stiff. The steering is tight, but it doesn't have power steering. I'm not sure if any of them did. It idles rather rough when it first starts but it settles down after it warms up. Such is the nature of the diesel beast. After you take off its not too noisy at all. The second motor I got from a friend who has had 13 VW rabbits (no exaggeration). That engine was from a rear-ended VW pickup same model year, naturally aspirated 1.6L. It should have 150,000 miles he said. It turns over by hand I do know. I know both front wheel bearings are good. Like I said, I replaced one. They wouldn't align the front end until I did. As for the back two, neither makes any noise. Also all the brakes have plenty of pads left. With the car being so light, they hardly wear at all.

As far as interstate travel is concerned, it depends on where you are driving. I live in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia so it is very mountainous here. Third gear in the car tops out at 65 MPH, and it will run that fast uphill, but when you shift into 4th gear (overdrive) it pretty much loses all power to pull hills. I had considered turning up the injector pump (it's adjusted lean enough now so that it never smokes) to get more out of it, but I never did. If you are on the flat or going downhill it will probably run along as fast as you'd like.

Well this car has made me a VW enthusiast, but its only my first VW. I've never owned another diesel. If I ever have the opportunity, I may look for a tdi. I've been getting quite a few emails about the car, so if interested don't think too long. I doubt it will take too long to sell. I have had the car about half a year. The original owner lives a couple of houses down from me. Cash or trade for the right truck are really what I'm looking for.

Please email me for pictures ewalker008@gmail.com, I also have a video on YouTube of the car starting up and idling. It can be viewed at the following web address:
      http://youtu.be/jrSZNTgmPR0

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      1981 VW Rabbit Diesel LS Custom
      05-07-2012 07:47 AM #2
      Thanks all for your interest. Car is sold.