VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving to Italy on Monday...

Vehicles
      B5 A4, CW 2012 Tiguan SE 2.0 TSI
      05-03-2012 08:44 AM #1
      Any of you fools been?

Any MUST DO's besides the regular turisty stuff?

I'll be in Rome, Amalfi, Capri, Florence, Pisa and Venice..

Only COOOOL thing I have planned is to ride Mugello with Rehms Racing days.. some german track day company.

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      05-03-2012 08:46 AM #2
      Test out the theory of making eye contact while crossing the road.

3. Member
      05-03-2012 09:02 AM #3
      I've only been in Venice out of those places so my only advice is that you must avoid staying in Venice proper if you can. The attractions are limited and the place is usually overrun with tourists. Unless you like getting fleeced hard. Venice is basically an Italian themed Disneyland. Everything there is meant to appeal to your childhood expectations of the place and use that to rob you.

I stayed on the outskirts, on the eastern pennisula that forms part of the laguna surrounding Venice. I was there for two weeks, took a ferry into Venice 2 or 3 times for the day and saw everything that there was to see. I ate once in Venice and it was expensive and crappy. Rest of the time I spent in the countryside, go-karting, chillaxing on the beach, bbq'ing. Way better than spending outrageous amounts of money on a cramped hotel and on overpriced food.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-03-2012 09:04 AM #4
      Don't drive in ANY city... The mopeders will kill you!

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 09:10 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Test out the theory of making eye contact while crossing the road.
      haha i dont plan on getting runover!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimilein View Post
      I've only been in Venice out of those places so my only advice is that you must avoid staying in Venice proper if you can. The attractions are limited and the place is usually overrun with tourists. Unless you like getting fleeced hard. Venice is basically an Italian themed Disneyland. Everything there is meant to appeal to your childhood expectations of the place and use that to rob you.

I stayed on the outskirts, on the eastern pennisula that forms part of the laguna surrounding Venice. I was there for two weeks, took a ferry into Venice 2 or 3 times for the day and saw everything that there was to see. I ate once in Venice and it was expensive and crappy. Rest of the time I spent in the countryside, go-karting, chillaxing on the beach, bbq'ing. Way better than spending outrageous amounts of money on a cramped hotel and on overpriced food.
      I heard the outskirts of venice was a lot cheaper to stay. What beach did you go to?

Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Don't drive in ANY city... The mopeders will kill you!
      hahahaha we are renting a car.. some Peugeot 107 or something ridiculously small so we can fit right in

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-03-2012 09:13 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by onel0wcubn View Post
      hahahaha we are renting a car.. some Peugeot 107 or something ridiculously small so we can fit right in
      You've been warned!

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 09:17 AM #7
      I hear the roads down the amalfi coast are as tiny as can be.. cliffs and curves all 1 lane roads

I'll be sure to have my gopro mounted to the car when driving through there

8. 05-03-2012 09:19 AM #8
      Pisa you need about half a day to see everything worthwhile there, you can head to Lucca as well for the second half of the day to see another really nice town that's about 30 min by regional train to the north. Florence you can do in two days, make sure to buy your tickets in advance for the galleries (you can do this online), or else you'll be stuck waiting in line. Amalfi coast is beautiful, but Napoli is a garbage dump - stay away. Rome? Eh. Venice you can do in a day. Skip the gondolas, you can get a ride on a water taxi around the lagoon that's much nicer, the downside is that the water taxi is expensive. Other option is to buy the day pass for the public ferries. You will get lost trying to navigate Venice on foot, and in May it's going to be crowded as all hell. Skip Basilica San Marco, it's hideous.

Two wonderful towns worth checking out are Siena and Orvieto. They'll be close to where you'll be. Also, anything south of Ravenna on the east coast isn't really worth seeing.

If you're driving, Autostrada tolls are expensive, gas is expensive, and your best bet w/r/t rental cars is to get a compact diesel, something like a Focus or an A3 TDI, anything smaller is a true penalty box that is really inefficient at Autostrada speeds (130kph = 80mph, give or take).

Eat all the food, drink all the wine. Repeat. Enjoy.

Vehicles
      '14 Impreza hatch
      05-03-2012 09:25 AM #9
      That's funny, I am too leaving to Italy on Monday. If I survive leaving Rome in my rental car, then I should be fine for the rest of the trip.

But beware of the "Zone a traffico limitato" - if your hotel is inside of the ZTL, you must provide them with your license plate number so that they can advise the authorities your entry is legit. Plan carefully your trip, because if you cross the ZTL several times because you're lost, you'll be fined several times.

10. Member
      05-03-2012 09:26 AM #10
      I heard the outskirts of venice was a lot cheaper to stay. What beach did you go to?
      We stayed at Camping Ca'Savio (close to Cavallino-Treporti, the beach is the one that is connected to the campgrounds and just runs the length of the pennisula with other campsites/hotels using it as well. I'm not sure if it even has a name. We stayed in a bungalow, it was less than a hotel and sleeps up to 4 or 5 people, you get a kitchenette, cookware and silverware, but I think bedding is included, though they might have some to hire. Further up the pennisula there is a go-cart track at Jesolo if you have time to burn

If you're going to be in the area for more than a week, a campsite might be a good alternative. It's what all the pro vacationers from Germany do I swear, 90% of the guests at that place were Germans. If you have a car, it's not too much trouble to stay at a campsite or elsewhere on the outskirts instead.

It probably sounds weird, but try tuna pizza if you get the chance.

Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 1999 A4 2.8
      05-03-2012 09:31 AM #11
      I drove from France down to Pisa and then Florence several years back. Pisa is very touristy and compared to Florence it's kind of dull. It's neat to see the tower and all but Florence is downright amazing.

Look out for mopeders in Florence, they are EVERYWHERE. They were 4-5 side by side in one lane regularly, weaving in and out etc.

Not sure about car-related stuff but if you are into historical sites/tourist stuff there are great museums and shops in Florence, enough to keep you busy. Lots of historically significant buildings that are set up as small museums in that you can walk in and look around. I forget where in Florence but we found an elevated plaza overlooking most of the city by the water, had lunch there sitting on a stone wall and it was pretty amazing taking all of that in. Cool feeling being surrounded by so much history.

Ponte Vecchio is a famous bridge that still had shops and art dealers lined up on it. It was incredibly busy when I was there so I didn't stay on it too long, just enough to get a good view of it and take some photos.

The Piazza della Signoria is a popular tourist area. Lots of amazing buildings there. They have a replica of the statue of David out there to look at. Not sure if you're into it but I like architecture a bit so it was pretty amazing seeing these great old buildings with tons of character and history.

Most of all though I took an afternoon and just wandered the streets mostly aimlessly with my camera, and that was probably the most fun for me. There's enough stuff in that city to find museums or significant buildings without really looking for them.

It's been too long since I went, I wish I could remember more to recommend to you because there is so much. As someone else said above, enjoy the food and the wine, and enjoy the views too. I miss Italy!

Vehicles
      MKVI Jetta TDI
      05-03-2012 09:32 AM #12
      Make sure you go to Modena, north of Bologna, to Ferrari museum. Right beside it, you can rent one for $100 for around 20 min. Drove 458 Italia last summer……AMAZING!
      MKIV Jetta VR6-SOLD
      E39 540IA Matte Black- SOLD
      MKVI Jetta TDI- 2012 Highline(CA) 6Speed l OEM Body Kit l Matte Orange Full Vinyl Wrap l H&R Sport Springs
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...I-Build-Thread

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 09:40 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by cheap sunglasses View Post
      Pisa you need about half a day to see everything worthwhile there, you can head to Lucca as well for the second half of the day to see another really nice town that's about 30 min by regional train to the north. Florence you can do in two days, make sure to buy your tickets in advance for the galleries (you can do this online), or else you'll be stuck waiting in line. Amalfi coast is beautiful, but Napoli is a garbage dump - stay away. Rome? Eh. Venice you can do in a day. Skip the gondolas, you can get a ride on a water taxi around the lagoon that's much nicer, the downside is that the water taxi is expensive. Other option is to buy the day pass for the public ferries. You will get lost trying to navigate Venice on foot, and in May it's going to be crowded as all hell. Skip Basilica San Marco, it's hideous.

Two wonderful towns worth checking out are Siena and Orvieto. They'll be close to where you'll be. Also, anything south of Ravenna on the east coast isn't really worth seeing.

If you're driving, Autostrada tolls are expensive, gas is expensive, and your best bet w/r/t rental cars is to get a compact diesel, something like a Focus or an A3 TDI, anything smaller is a true penalty box that is really inefficient at Autostrada speeds (130kph = 80mph, give or take).

Eat all the food, drink all the wine. Repeat. Enjoy.

some good info! thanks I was thinking of stopping through Siena for a bit.. my dad said its nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Man View Post
      That's funny, I am too leaving to Italy on Monday. If I survive leaving Rome in my rental car, then I should be fine for the rest of the trip.

But beware of the "Zone a traffico limitato" - if your hotel is inside of the ZTL, you must provide them with your license plate number so that they can advise the authorities your entry is legit. Plan carefully your trip, because if you cross the ZTL several times because you're lost, you'll be fined several times.
      We are staying at bed and breakfasts so I dont think anyone is going to ask up for our license plates..

14. Member
      05-03-2012 09:41 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      I drove from France down to Pisa and then Florence several years back. Pisa is very touristy and compared to Florence it's kind of dull. It's neat to see the tower and all but Florence is downright amazing.

Look out for mopeders in Florence, they are EVERYWHERE. They were 4-5 side by side in one lane regularly, weaving in and out etc.

Not sure about car-related stuff but if you are into historical sites/tourist stuff there are great museums and shops in Florence, enough to keep you busy. Lots of historically significant buildings that are set up as small museums in that you can walk in and look around. I forget where in Florence but we found an elevated plaza overlooking most of the city by the water, had lunch there sitting on a stone wall and it was pretty amazing taking all of that in. Cool feeling being surrounded by so much history.

Ponte Vecchio is a famous bridge that still had shops and art dealers lined up on it. It was incredibly busy when I was there so I didn't stay on it too long, just enough to get a good view of it and take some photos.

The Piazza della Signoria is a popular tourist area. Lots of amazing buildings there. They have a replica of the statue of David out there to look at. Not sure if you're into it but I like architecture a bit so it was pretty amazing seeing these great old buildings with tons of character and history.

Most of all though I took an afternoon and just wandered the streets mostly aimlessly with my camera, and that was probably the most fun for me. There's enough stuff in that city to find museums or significant buildings without really looking for them.

It's been too long since I went, I wish I could remember more to recommend to you because there is so much. As someone else said above, enjoy the food and the wine, and enjoy the views too. I miss Italy!
      Don't forget to bring your Ezio costume!

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 09:43 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by frankieflowerz View Post
      Make sure you go to Modena, north of Bologna, to Ferrari museum. Right beside it, you can rent one for $100 for around 20 min. Drove 458 Italia last summer……AMAZING!
      I plan on hitting both ferrari and ducati museums in Bologna.. can't wait for that.. along with riding Mugello.. those will probably be the highlights of the trip for me.

16. 05-03-2012 09:52 AM #16
      A couple more things: When you're taking the train (except for the high speed rail), make sure you validate your tickets by sticking them into one of the yellow boxes on the platform. These print a timestamp on the tickets. If not, you will be yelled at by the conductors - it's a common tourist mistake. High speed rail has assigned seating and you do not need to do this.

If you go to a bar, pay for your drinks first at the register before giving your receipt to the bartender, who will then make your drink. Same holds true for some caffe/pasticcerie.

Italy really is a third-world country trapped in a first-world economic and political union. Expect the train workers to go on strike. Expect the truckers to go on strike. If you expect an American level of convenience, you will be disappointed. Don't expect stores to be open at all hours, or even most hours. Your food/drink will not be made in a timely manner, but it will be done right.

Most importantly, relax. Once you step away from the touristy stuff and away from other Americans, just take time to enjoy where you are. The country is relentlessly beautiful.

17. Member
      05-03-2012 10:09 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by cheap sunglasses View Post
      Italy really is a third-world country trapped in a first-world economic and political union. Expect the train workers to go on strike. Expect the truckers to go on strike. If you expect an American level of convenience, you will be disappointed. Don't expect stores to be open at all hours, or even most hours. Your food/drink will not be made in a timely manner, but it will be done right.
      Hey! There are 3rd world countries where striking isn't the national sport and people actually go to work consistently.

It's more of an Italian thing than a 3rd world thing.

05-03-2012 10:37 AM #18
      jealous. that is all.

Vehicles
      a van
      05-03-2012 11:31 AM #19
      i envy you, brother.

some things i noted from my last trip to italy:
      - obligatory gelato every day
      - eat at a local trattoria (cacio e pepe for sure)
      - obligatory wine at lunch and dinner
      - vaticano if you can, it's touristy, but you must do it
      - chill at the spanish steps, see if you can spot valentino pull up in his ferrari(s)
      - try out a rest-stop along the autostrada, euro rest stops are way nicer than american ones, especially when it comes to serving up food
      - espresso at a bar, cappuccino in the morning ONLY
      - Pisa is cool, check out the tower of course, but it's a really touristy place if you're in the plaza
      - Firenze is really awesome, the high walls make you feel like you're in another world, check out the statue plaza with David
      - Venezia is really something else, even though the gondolas are cheesy, i'd say do it at least once. See the Bridge of Sighs. Explore and find some hole-in-the-wall place to eat. Check out the plaza and see the water slowly flood in throughout the day according to the tide.

Sounds like Modena is another must-go place, esp for Ferrari
      Last edited by evosky; 05-03-2012 at 11:35 AM.
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      05-03-2012 11:32 AM #20
      florence is awesome.

enjoy!
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 11:43 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      i envy you, brother.

some things i noted from my last trip to italy:
      - obligatory gelato every day
      - eat at a local trattoria (cacio e pepe for sure)
      - obligatory wine at lunch and dinner
      - vaticano if you can, it's touristy, but you must do it
      - chill at the spanish steps, see if you can spot valentino pull up in his ferrari(s)
      - try out a rest-stop along the autostrada, euro rest stops are way nicer than american ones, especially when it comes to serving up food
      - espresso at a bar, cappuccino in the morning ONLY
      - Pisa is cool, check out the tower of course, but it's a really touristy place if you're in the plaza
      - Firenze is really awesome, the high walls make you feel like you're in another world, check out the statue plaza with David
      - Venezia is really something else, even though the gondolas are cheesy, i'd say do it at least once. See the Bridge of Sighs. Explore and find some hole-in-the-wall place to eat. Check out the plaza and see the water slowly flood in throughout the day according to the tide.

Sounds like Modena is another must-go place, esp for Ferrari
      plan on checking off all of those in the list!

im going for 2.5 weeks so ill have a bit of time to play it slow

05-03-2012 11:49 AM #22
      I actually really enjoyed Rome...especially all the areas that were being excivated which provided a great glimpse into the histroy of the city (which has effectively been built and rebuilt upon itself time and time again). If you are around the Colliseum near meal time I suggest that you dine at "Wanted". It is a great little place, near the Duca D'Alba Hotel (which is a great place to stay with a really good breakfast and quaint-quiet rooms).
      J. Auvil
      SPEC, Inc.
      Sales and Technical Manager
      800-828-4379 x.109
      Jeremy@specclutch.com

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      05-03-2012 11:50 AM #23
      Monza
      Monte Bianco
      Alta Vatelina

Vehicles
      a van
      05-03-2012 11:53 AM #24
      forgot, if you can catch the last Serie A match at whatever city you're in at the time (5/13), definitely do that.
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      05-03-2012 12:23 PM #25
      EAT. eat EVERYTHING. the food is just insane. i ate so much that i just kept eating. lol...makes no sense, but when you get there - you'll see what i mean. oh - drink Peroni Beer - that's their budweiser - it's bangin. see as much as you can - maybe you'll get lucky and watch a girl dump her scooter outside Termini Station like i did!
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Giant deer orgy statue, whale sex videos, and turtle pee-pee which pops out like a pouncing snake.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 12:41 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      forgot, if you can catch the last Serie A match at whatever city you're in at the time (5/13), definitely do that.
      we were trying to go to a game but i couldnt find the match schedules for the cities we will be in..

ill be riding mugello on the 13..

27. Member
      Vehicles
      06 VW GLI, 98 Cherokee
      05-03-2012 12:47 PM #27
      I have been over there for several weeks on and off sice January, benefits to my new job

I went to Venice in January I found a little hotel right near san marco square for 50 euro a night, small but nice. Price may have gone up since it was not a peak vacation time.. Hotel ai do mori, calle larga san marco, 658 phone: 0415289293

Ferarri in Modena. The museum is awesome. As mentioned above the rentals are fun but can be expensive, I drove a Ferrari California when I was there. I rented from Push Start

5th place in best restraunts in the world is in Modena also. Osteria Francescana. A little expensive but well woth it.

The family lambo museum is close by modena also worth a view, www.museolamborghini.com it is all classics and prototypes, no new cars.

The factory lambo museum is only open during the week.

Rome is awesome along with Florence. Milan has some nice areas too.

I should be making a trip back as early as next week, I'll be in Reggio Emilia for work.
      06 GLI
      98 Jeep Cherokee

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 12:48 PM #28
      Looks like this would be the closest stadium to us on that day..

Fiorentina vs Cagliari at Artemio Franchi...

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 12:50 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by AndyG86 View Post
      I have been over there for several weeks on and off sice January, benefits to my new job

I went to Venice in January I found a little hotel right near san marco square for 50 euro a night, small but nice. Price may have gone up since it was not a peak vacation time.. Hotel ai do mori, calle larga san marco, 658 phone: 0415289293

Ferarri in Modena. The museum is awesome. As mentioned above the rentals are fun but can be expensive, I drove a Ferrari California when I was there. I rented from Push Start

5th place in best restraunts in the world is in Modena also. Osteria Francescana. A little expensive but well woth it.

The family lambo museum is close by modena also worth a view, www.museolamborghini.com it is all classics and prototypes, no new cars.

The factory lambo museum is only open during the week.

Rome is awesome along with Florence. Milan has some nice areas too.

I should be making a trip back as early as next week, I'll be in Reggio Emilia for work.

can i have your job

Vehicles
      a van
      05-03-2012 01:53 PM #30
      Looks like this would be the closest stadium to us on that day..

Fiorentina vs Cagliari at Artemio Franchi...

FFFFF, now i can't stop thinking about cacio e pepe haha so hungry. might make some for dinner

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 540i, '09 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
      05-03-2012 02:04 PM #31
      so jelly
      been there twice and can't wait to go back again. haven't done Modena but will need to get on that!

there was mention of the Amalfi Coast in this thread and you've gotta have some brass balls to do that drive, here's a pic i took from the bus. Definitely limit your time in Venice and the rest of those places on your list sound great. Also check out Cinque Terre if you can.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      05-03-2012 02:13 PM #32
      Been to Rome for 9 days before. It's awesome. Outside of town by about 25 klicks is Tivoli...Hadrian's Villa and Villa D'Este are both really cool places to stop into. Villa D'Este is a huge complex of fountains and waterworks all powered by gravity. It's a cool little hill town a short train hop or ride from Rome.

I would also make sure to hit the Vatican museum - FYI, show up early, you will have to go through security (metal detectors/bag searches/xray). Lines can be very long. You can easily spend a half to full day there. The sistine chapel is amazing in person.

Campo d'fiori is a really cool downtown market by day and bar area by night...a bit touristy though.

Touring Castel San Angelo is worth it as well. The view from the roof is great.

If you have a decent camera, bring a small/light tripod...night photos at places like the Pantheon, Coliseum, and St. Peters are just awesome.

also, it is socially acceptable as a man to not only ride a moped, but share a moped ride with another man...something that is massively "homo" in america....

http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/t...0Italy%202008/
      some pics. if you have questions about any of them or places they were taken/like to visit, let me know!
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 540i, '09 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
      05-03-2012 02:46 PM #33
      Also be very aware of pickpockets. In my 3 weeks touring Italy last year, we caught multiple people trying to pickpocket us. All you have to do is stare them in the eye so they know you're aware of them and they'll leave you alone. If you were resting, they'd lurk around your bags, or try on a busy train or something. One guy in Milan followed us around for 15min I guess waiting for one of us to let our guard down but he eventually gave up.

even spotted this guy stealing change from the Trevi Fountain lol. The guy sitting there beside him was tempted to kick him in but be careful as these guys typically work in teams..

34. 05-03-2012 04:57 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt15 View Post
      Also check out Cinque Terre if you can.
      Don't do this - a mudslide took out a two of the prettier towns late last year, and the tourist traps were spared. Not worth it.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      05-03-2012 05:12 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt15 View Post
      Also be very aware of pickpockets. In my 3 weeks touring Italy last year, we caught multiple people trying to pickpocket us. All you have to do is stare them in the eye so they know you're aware of them and they'll leave you alone. If you were resting, they'd lurk around your bags, or try on a busy train or something. One guy in Milan followed us around for 15min I guess waiting for one of us to let our guard down but he eventually gave up.

even spotted this guy stealing change from the Trevi Fountain lol. The guy sitting there beside him was tempted to kick him in but be careful as these guys typically work in teams..

keep in mind, you're more likely to get pick-pocketed than mugged in western europe...its basically the opposite of american big cities, where you are more likely to get mugged.

don't carry a wallet in your back pocket. carry a small amount of cash, a CC, and change in your front pocket.

I had one of these...you just run your belt through it, then flip it over so it hangs just inside your waist. put my passport, most of my cash, and my other CC in there. they cost like 10 bucks, a worthwhile investment.

if you do get pick-pocketed, they only get an easily cancelled CC and a few euro...also, make sure you put a color copy of your passport at a location separate from your real one. in case you lose it, its way easier to fix that problem. also, as i understand their laws about knives are generally pretty strict, so if you carry a knife with a clip, ditch it and carry a swiss army knife. you can't take it to the vatican!

Lastly, I forgot to mention, but a great Rome secret is the Orange Grove. a block or so from cirucus maximus. you walk up this little side street, see a tall wall on your right, keep walking! you'll hit a break in the wall and its a phenomenal view of trastevere area and vatican city. http://g.co/maps/mhfzu
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast