Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need input on automatic transmission swap

1. 05-03-2012 01:33 PM #1
      I will start by saying hi to everyone and yes, as you can see I am a newbie.
      Alot of great info in this site and I'm glad I found it.

I have a 1997 eurovan full camper ( produced 1/97 ) 2.8 VR automatic 180 k's and the transmission ( code CWG ) is dead and buried ,( I know, welcome to reality )

Have located a 1999 eurovan GLS 2.8 VR, automatic with 170 k's, transmission works great. Since I need a few bits and pieces besides the transmission , I plan to buy the whole van and sell the rest, but need to figure out if the transmission will work in my camper.

Any input ? Ideas ? medication ?

2. 05-03-2012 05:44 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Maninavan View Post
      I will start by saying hi to everyone and yes, as you can see I am a newbie.
      Alot of great info in this site and I'm glad I found it.

I have a 1997 eurovan full camper ( produced 1/97 ) 2.8 VR automatic 180 k's and the transmission ( code CWG ) is dead and buried ,( I know, welcome to reality )

Have located a 1999 eurovan GLS 2.8 VR, automatic with 170 k's, transmission works great. Since I need a few bits and pieces besides the transmission , I plan to buy the whole van and sell the rest, but need to figure out if the transmission will work in my camper.

Any input ? Ideas ? medication ?
      Yeah should work. All 1997-2003 transmissions are the same 01P. Gearsets may have changed a little and possibly ECUs but I tend to doubt that'll be a problem. Go for it.

3. 05-03-2012 06:36 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Yeah should work. All 1997-2003 transmissions are the same 01P. Gearsets may have changed a little and possibly ECUs but I tend to doubt that'll be a problem. Go for it.
      gti_matt thanks for the reply, I like your positive attitude but some sources have told me it will be a nightmare. Having the whole van I will have the ecu and tcu and was thinking that the 99 trans with the 99 tcu might be the way to go but wasn't sure if it would work with my ecu or even plug in.
      Another thread had mentioned that the 12v should be the same gear ratio which is why I looked for this van thinking a 24v trans gearing would play with the ecu.
      I also have been told that I need to stick with an early production trans like mine or it will not work but I was thinking that that may be overcome with the matching tcu.
      So was hoping that someone here had gone throught this before I jump in , spend the time and money and then hit a wall.

4. 05-04-2012 09:26 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Maninavan View Post
      gti_matt thanks for the reply, I like your positive attitude but some sources have told me it will be a nightmare. Having the whole van I will have the ecu and tcu and was thinking that the 99 trans with the 99 tcu might be the way to go but wasn't sure if it would work with my ecu or even plug in.
      Another thread had mentioned that the 12v should be the same gear ratio which is why I looked for this van thinking a 24v trans gearing would play with the ecu.
      I also have been told that I need to stick with an early production trans like mine or it will not work but I was thinking that that may be overcome with the matching tcu.
      So was hoping that someone here had gone throught this before I jump in , spend the time and money and then hit a wall.
      I'll admit I haven't gone through it myself but seeing as you're dealing with the same 01P trans, you have the TCU to go with it, and it's still the 12V engine, I think you'll be good.

5. 05-04-2012 09:45 AM #5
      Aside of actually pluging in the tcu, any ideas on how to find out if it will plug in to the harness??

6. Junior Member
      05-04-2012 03:14 PM #6
      my 2cts is "why replacing a 180k broken trans by a -supposedly- running 170k trans" ?