Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: CL Finds of the Day by VadGTI - Soviet content, Euro V8 swap content

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      05-03-2012 01:41 PM #1
      First up:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2988999202.html

1980 Lada Niva 4x4 SUV made in the USSR - $5000 (petaluma)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Date: 2012-04-30, 6:37PM PDT
      Reply to: pmz8f-2988999202@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please, no trades, no low ballers, no time wasters. If you don't have the cash, please do not email. If the add is still up, it is still for sale. 1980 Lada Niva. As the door plate says, this 4x4 SUV was made in the USSR. This is your chance to own the same type of off-road vehicle as Vladimir Putin. While these are the vehicle of choice throughout much of Eastern Europe and Russia they are extremely rare in the US.

The engine in this Niva has been converted to a 1981 Fiat Spider DOHC 4 cylinder with Bosch fuel injection. This almost doubles the horsepower along with making parts readily available. There is information on this type of conversion available online for those that are interested. It has a five speed manual transmission along with shifters for a differential lock and hi-lo. Since the conversion the Niva has less than 10,000KM on it.

At the time of the conversion the following was done:

Completely rebuilt engine

New 210mm (larger) clutch

Rebuilt ZF gear Box

Rebuilt radiator

Rebuilt front/rear driveshafts with new U-joint and couplers

Rebuilt brake system with new master cylinder, new front 3-piston calipers and pads, new rear wheel cylinders and shows, new rubber brake lines

New German made CV joints, both inners and outers

New front suspension ball joints, rebuilt steering box

New all terrain tires on 16" alloy wheels

Know issues with the car that cannot be seen in the pictures:

The car needs someone that will love it and take care of it, it could use some light electrical work , the headlight wipers do not work and the Trans-axle warning light and fuel gauge lights flicker.
      I would also replace the aftermarket front seats with something more narrow and the glass in the right rear view mirror is cracked. The car runs great, it shifts smoothly and the tires have a lot of life.

Recent history of the car:

This car was purchased by a friend of mine in March of 2009 off of Ebay. Her and I served in the Peace Corps together in the Republic of Georgia. We spent a lot of times riding through remote areas of the caucus mountain ranges in Nivas and it was just too much of an opportunity to pass up. She drove the car regularly up till about a year ago when she started a PHD program. At that time she asked if she store the car at my house in Petaluma CA while I headed overseas again. The car was driven from San Diego to Petaluma at that time without any problems. The car has spent the last year under a temporary carport at my house. I started it up last month, installed a new Bosch fuel pump, and took care of some light electrical issues. I have been driving the car around town and it runs great. . We are both sad to see this go but we don't have the space or time for it. This car needs to go to an enthusiast that is interested in driving and maintaining a rare 4x4 vehicle. I have only seen one other of these in the US.

$5000.00/obo This is a collector vehicle and it is up to the buyer to ensure that they can register and insure the vehicle at their place of residence. This vehicle is sold as is. It has a clear washington title. You can see more pictures here: http://photobucket.com/1980Niva

They conform to US standards! Who knew!?!?

Moving on...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...978662248.html

302 Mustang Swapped Volvo 740GLE!!!Volvo tech owned - $3500 (Sierra Madre)

Date: 2012-04-25, 10:28AM PDT
      Reply to: dgbwh-2978662248@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Hi CL folks, today is indeed a very sad day, as I am forced to sell my precious v8 volvo 740. The car's name is Frankenstein (by my gf LOL) All I can say is the car can be daily driven NO problems whatsoever, and has incredible reliability, performance, handling all rolled up in a really sleeper-like package. I might be forgetting some things so here goes. *sigh*
      The car
      1988 Volvo 740 Turbo sedan 4d. converted to v8 using the tried and true CONVERSE engineering mount kit. CLEAN TITLE and carfax.
      214k on body, 8k on engine, 1000 miles on cobra t5-z trans and king cobra clutch kit.
      Body-Nice shape, no real dents on car except 2 small dents on the aluminum 740 diesel hood (lighter)
      European e code headlamps and special grille, new taillamps and new foglamps. Black paint is actually presentable and is decent.
      Suspension.-Ipd drop swaybar in front (25mm) and ipd rear bar. TME springs and new bilstein hd shocks with new mount hardware. New ipd stainless brake lines. New ATE rotors and ATE pads all around (about 3k miles on them all. New lower torque arm with new bushings. Ipd cherry upper strut brace and lower suspension tie brace to frame G80 rear locker form volvo 16 valve (3:91) ratio. New steering bushings, tie rods, lower control arms. Basically. The suspension is NEW. Alignment with new falken tires on rare Fittipaldi dealer optional wheels (came off of my Bertone 780). Drives straight. Ride is very smooth and controlled, but able to handle the power of the 306 engine.
      Not bouncy or annoying (i hate lowered cars that dont ride nicely.
      Engine- 306ci with ported/polished e7 heads, comp cams upgraded camshaft with new frpp pushrods and double valve springs. (cam is equivelant to frpp F cam). Engine is spotless inside and out. Newer ported GT40 upper and lower intake manifold. Headers, X-pipe, 2 highflow magnaflow cats, into a true DUAL exhaust system consisting of very quiet flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers. New 130a SSP alternator, new motors mounts from a convertible stang (heavy duty and a new energy suspension poly trans mount) New king cobra clutch kit and PP. New T5-z spec cobra transmission out of a 1993 cobra. (triple cone synchros in 2nd and 3rd.) Cryo treated gearset, reassembled by myself. Custom flex a lite electric fan conversion with rheostat. Walboro 255lph pump in tank,new filter. New oxygen sensors. Moates quarterhorse chip on a SSP (police) a9l computer. BBK cold air intake and custom bored throttle body and EGR spacer. Custom made spicer driveshaft with zerk fittings on trunions. This car even has the charcoal canister and a/c hooked up!!! (a/c needs r12 freon or upgrade the drier for r134a conversion) Needs smog pump to be 100percent CARB legal. Engine starts right up, has a nice lope at idle, but cruises so nice on the freeway and is not annoyingly loud. You can have a normal conversation in the car, in comfort. Car actually gets 22mpg when not lead footed. Heater works, even the ford EEC4 diagnostic system works. All guages work.
      Car is not a half ass conversion. It was an IPD and a converse conglomeration. All fluids replaced recently. I dont drive this car a lot, so it gets used 50 miles a week maybe. I also dont beat the crap out of my cars. I dont redline, or am stupid with them. My friend says I drive this car so slow I don't deserve it: Whatever to that.
      Interior- Completely redone upholstery, headliner, and seats. Looks great!!!. Has a 780 bertone steering wheel. Also has a pioneer cd player with usb/ipod, custom speakers in front and backdoors, and a very rare volvo HT-161 speaker system on backshelf area. Panels and interior is in amazing shape. Everything works electrically. Fan, power locks, all of it. You will be amazed by the interior of this car.
      -Things i think it could use sometime soon.
      Passenger window is a bit slower than the rest of the windows, so that tells me the regulator is starting to get mad. Still rolls up fine, just slow.
      A/c (sorry I am spoiled with a/c) It should be charged and have new compressor o rings installed.
      -bigger injectors and maf (it is PLENTY fast even by mustang standards, but I think a bigger maf (c&L) and injectors (say 24#) would make this car truly insane. Like I said. I drove it sparingly and not abusingly. When you come test drive the car. You are NOT going to be beating my car up until you pay me for it. Basically no joyrides. And feel free to bring a mechanic or friend who knows mustangs and volvos. I know both VERY well. I am ASE certified and Volvo Master certified level tech. I know my way around cars very well. So you are not buying some pieced together crap. I have WAY to many volvos and have decided with the GF (who doesnt like the clutch) that this is the one to let go. If you have any intgeligent questions, feel free to email me. Thanks for your time!!!!
      Patrick

Feel free to try and top these and add your own .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

2. 05-03-2012 01:50 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      They conform to US standards! Who knew!?!?

Lada was briefly sold in canada in the 80's and early 90's. i assume this is one of those

3. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      05-03-2012 02:19 PM #3
      i was hoping this would be a lada!

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      05-03-2012 02:25 PM #4
      I'd only buy the Lada if I could put it in H.

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-03-2012 02:26 PM #5
      That Lada is pretty cool. As crappy as they can be, I like old Soviet vehicles.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

6. 05-03-2012 02:27 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeeDoubleU View Post
      Lada was briefly sold in canada in the 80's and early 90's. i assume this is one of those
      Also there is the 25 year import law so in 2005 it could have been legally imported.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

Vehicles
      03 Bora Variant 1.8T, 07 Golf 2.5, 08 Polo 9n3 1.4TDI, 14 Tiguan S 6mt
      05-03-2012 04:25 PM #7
      That Niva has been for sale quite a long time ago.

Vehicles
      87 Audi quattro, 94 VW Polo GT, 01 Ford Mondeo wagon
      05-03-2012 04:32 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      Also there is the 25 year import law so in 2005 it could have been legally imported.
      Would a 25 year import have the FMVSS door jamb sticker as pictured? Only US/Canada cars have those. Besides, AFAIK only the export models have badges saying "LADA NIVA" in western lettering, as home market vehicles uses cyrilic letters.
      Last edited by PerL; 05-03-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Vehicles
      00 E39 M5,94 Supra TT
      05-03-2012 04:48 PM #9
      My dad was the sales manager for Lada in Haiti in the 80's. They were cool looking but as basic as you can get.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      05 MCS, 03 XJ X308, 81 MB W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      05-03-2012 05:23 PM #10
      I almost bought one last month, to keep in Bulgaria, when i go there in the summers, but my dad didn't wanted it (the car stays with him for most of the year). I ended up getting a Tourneo Connect instead

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      05-03-2012 06:07 PM #11
      That's a lada money.
      :gift:

05-12-2012 07:21 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      That Lada is pretty cool. As crappy as they can be, I like old Soviet vehicles.
      Came here to post this.

LOLZ. PAH.

13. 05-12-2012 07:25 PM #13
      I'll take the 1978 E12 :-)
      "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

14. 05-12-2012 07:50 PM #14
      damn i wanted that volvo bad, must have sold fast

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      05-12-2012 08:11 PM #15
      I didn't know Canadian cars had a Federal sticker on them? I know most do (since most cars were sold in both regions), but does anyone have any concrete info on any cars sold there, but not here?
      A2Resource

16. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      05-12-2012 08:47 PM #16
      If we could have 3 cars I'd be flying over to pick that Niva up right now. I want a Lada Niva so bad and I have for the past decade. They are so cool in a quirky way.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      Redneck Supercar (948)
      05-12-2012 10:08 PM #17
      Last edited by admiralbabar; 05-12-2012 at 10:36 PM.
      ...and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...
      Life is short....if you can, you must
      Need help with or curious about doing a 944 v8 swap? PM me

18. 06-06-2012 04:40 PM #18
      If we could have 3 cars I'd be flying over to pick that Niva up right now. I want a Lada Niva so bad and I have for the past decade. They are so cool in a quirky way.

obin
      No you don't. As much as I agree they're quirky/neat, Nivas are purely disposable. All the ones for sale up here are at the end of their lifespan before they tick over 120,000 kms. For the kind of money they're asking I would much rather have a first-gen Toyota 4-runner.

19. 06-06-2012 04:43 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by JLJetta View Post
      I'll take the 1978 E12 :-)
      That's an E23.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      06-06-2012 04:45 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      25-year-rule cars wouldn't have the "comforms to all applicable standards" label.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World
      06-06-2012 04:54 PM #21
      Cool rig.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      06-06-2012 04:56 PM #22
      I was expecting a V8 Niva That would be cool!
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

06-06-2012 06:19 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      That's an E23.
      Good catch.