Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How To Clean Stolen Handgun Recovered After Two Years of Sitting in Police HQ?

05-03-2012 02:44 PM #1
      Hello everyone,

Three years ago my apartment in college was robbed, and they got my small safe which had four handguns in it.

Obviously took the proper steps to report them, etc.

Yesterday the Pittsburgh P.D. called me to let me know they had recovered a Glock30 matching my SN. Then found out they've had it forever and couldn't get ahold of me until now.

Regardless, I'm picking it up in a couple weeks and wanted to know if there's any additional steps I should be taking to clean/oil it, as I'm sure the thugs who stole it didn't treat it properly.

Thanks

Vehicles
      Scoob Crosstrek
      05-03-2012 02:48 PM #2
      My buddy bought a used Ruger GP100 that was severely carbon'd & fouled up, used Hoppe's #9, let it sit a little longer than usual and it turned out great -shrug-
      Now go get your shinebox

3. 05-03-2012 02:49 PM #3
      Very simple, just go about the norm - if the gun was clean before, sitting around won't do anything besides some minor potential rust (not likely on a Glock) or some dust. Clean it, and give the barrel a good look (make sure it's nice shiny and smooth) before putting rounds in it.

Nothing special.

4. 05-03-2012 03:29 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Very simple, just go about the norm - if the gun was clean before, sitting around won't do anything besides some minor potential rust (not likely on a Glock) or some dust. Clean it, and give the barrel a good look (make sure it's nice shiny and smooth) before putting rounds in it.

Nothing special.
      This. My Beretta 92F sat in a closet for about 10 years before I got it from my Uncle and it just needed a little oil.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

05-03-2012 03:42 PM #5
      Fantastic, thanks gents

6. 05-03-2012 07:19 PM #6
      when I got my luger it was sitting for closer to 30 years..

I cleaned it out, oiled it up and it worked fine..

a friend of mine hid behind the truck when I shot it, like it was going to explode or something.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      05-03-2012 11:19 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by dj age one View Post
      when I got my luger it was sitting for closer to 30 years..

I cleaned it out, oiled it up and it worked fine..

a friend of mine hid behind the truck when I shot it, like it was going to explode or something.
      cleaned, stripped, and inspected my father's shotgun. it had not been touched since put away clean in 1970ish. ithaca model 37. runs like a champ. my friends too all stood back and covered their nuts the first time i loaded and racked it...hadn't been fired in 30 years...just sitting and waiting in the gun cabinet...
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S4
      05-03-2012 11:22 PM #8
      Cleaning? Whats this cleaning crap you guys speak of?

My guns get used and put away. A little wipe here and there and some oil and that is all the care they get.

Cleaning is highly overrated unless you're using corrosive ammo.

9. 05-04-2012 02:51 AM #9
      Normally I'd agree with you RDriver - but 2 years of neglect and not being in your possession, I'd clean it just to be safe.

Vehicles
      '75 Eldorado vert, '13 Sierra Denali CC D/A, '11 Outback 3.6R
      05-04-2012 03:44 AM #10
      Glock LE armorer checking in....

If the weapon was in a skells hands I would want to be damn sure it wasn't abused/damaged/modified before I entrusted it with my life... perps like to make them full-auto, etc. Bring it to a professional armorer and have it disassembled/cleaned/assessed. Expect to pay ~$50 for the service. If you're mechanically inclined you can do it yourself - there are plenty of detailed videos on YouTube and it's very easy, but don't take any chances if you're not so inclined.
      Cary

'13 Sierra Denali 2500 CC D/A
      '11 Outback 3.6R
      '12 FLHTCUI
      '75 Eldorado ragtop

Forum Rules

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 11:29 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead261 View Post

If the weapon was in a skells hands I would want to be damn sure it wasn't abused/damaged/modified before I entrusted it with my life... perps like to make them full-auto, etc. Bring it to a professional armorer and have it disassembled/cleaned/assessed. Expect to pay ~$50 for the service. If you're mechanically inclined you can do it yourself - there are plenty of detailed videos on YouTube and it's very easy, but don't take any chances if you're not so inclined.
      good advice. i would take a very close eyeball at the firing pin spring/channel, the sear mechanism, the trigger group, and the internals of the barrel. furthermore, i'd throw the mag away or get a rebuild kit for that magazine. i rotate mine religiously and change the springs...if some clown had it as a ghetto piece for a couple years you can damn well bet the mags were never rotated.

good luck. glad you got it back!
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      12 Lexus CT 200h, 07 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
      05-05-2012 07:04 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead261 View Post

or take it to a GSSF match and have it rebuilt free, or send it to glock...free as well

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      05-07-2012 08:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by NickWVU View Post
      Regardless, I'm picking it up in a couple weeks and wanted to know if there's any additional steps I should be taking to clean/oil it, as I'm sure the thugs who stole it didn't treat it properly.
      Isn't there an entire sub-sulture of people that horribly mistreat Glocks just to see if they work? I'd think after a quick inspection/cleaning, you'll be fine.

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 11:00 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      Isn't there an entire sub-sulture of people that horribly mistreat Glocks just to see if they work? I'd think after a quick inspection/cleaning, you'll be fine.
      basically, yes. i've never been a subscriber as my gun is cleaned and inspected after nearly every firing session. it is VERY hard to break a glock. they might not be pretty and might not shoot great, but they will outlast a lot.

05-08-2012 05:15 PM #15
      I'll be inspecting it very closely. I know a glock inside and out, so if there's even a hint that something's awry I'll take it to the armorer.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      05-16-2012 09:00 AM #16
      the proprietary coating Glock uses on their guns is supposedly very good, it's not bluing, it's not parkerizing, I can't remember what it's called. i wouldn't worry about rust on any of the steel parts. i think if any of the other parts are modified, you would be able to tell fairly easily. part of the benefit of cleaning your guns regularly, you know them inside and out.

and if it really worries you, duck tape it to a tree, attach a string to the trigger, stand back and let her fly. this works well for "checking" head space on a $79 Mosin Nagant.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

Vehicles
      2007 VW Jetta, 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 SD
      05-16-2012 10:18 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      the proprietary coating Glock uses on their guns is supposedly very good, it's not bluing, it's not parkerizing, I can't remember what it's called. i wouldn't worry about rust on any of the steel parts. i think if any of the other parts are modified, you would be able to tell fairly easily. part of the benefit of cleaning your guns regularly, you know them inside and out.
      Tenifer?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      And, if the situation calls for it, you could break out some drumsticks and play the xylophone on her ribs
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      God dammit Miyagi, go to school. Who the f**k plays the xylophone with drumsticks?
      You use mallets. Idiot.