Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tranny Problem, VR6 won't go into gear.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      99' VW Golf 2.0, 97' Jetta GLX VR6
      05-04-2012 12:44 PM #1
      Tried searching but there are so many different scenarios that don't sound like my issue :-/

So, I have a 97 Jetta Vr6, and recently it's been grinding and making a huge clunk sound when going into reverse. And now its really hard to get into first and second. There's no grinding. The shifter just stops and doesn't go up ito first or down into second. I have to literally used both hands to put it into gear

What's weird is that it starts working once the car is warmed up. So after I've been driving it for a while, everything gets smooth again. It's only at cold start ups. The clutch feels the same. The shifter feels the same not wobbly. When I finally do put it into first or second it doesn't grind or make any noise as I'm giving it gas to move forward. 3rd an 4th are okay still but I feel like they might be getting there also. And 5th is also an issue. This just happened all of a sudden it hasnt been an on going problem. Gears were smooth and everything. Just one morning reverse started acting up an then it sorta went downhill.

Car has 165k miles. Engine still runs strong and it's clean overall. Clutch was done at 90k miles along so I dont think it's that? But idk at this point. What do you guys think???

2. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 06:00 PM #2
      Anybody??
      I drove it to work 2 mins away this morning and it was giving me a hard time going into first and second. i parked at worked. and got out 7 hours later get back in the car to drive home and the gears were SMOOTH as butter. no grinding, no noise, no getting stuck, nothing. it was perfect. Now im really confused.

Vehicles
      97 Ginster DE/95 Jetta GLX (RIP)
      05-04-2012 06:21 PM #3
      when did you last change your tranny fluid?

4. 05-04-2012 06:43 PM #4
      I've been in a lot of manual Volkswagens that clunk hard into reverse, both early and late models.

My 95 VR had the same issue. I found if you engage the clutch and shift into a few different gears before shifting into reverse, shifting into reverse is as smooth as butter.

Sometimes I'll also have trouble getting mine into first, while at a stop. Never force it. When it doesn't want to go into first, I'll shift it into a few different gears, then it will flawlessly go into first.

Hope this helps you out a bit until you are able to have the issue assessed.

There are a few different things that can be causing the issue.
      http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/ha...-problems.html

5. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 07:17 PM #5
      I see, yea i was definately doing what u said McDubin, and shifting into a couple other gears and then going into first. its just getting me that its on and off so randomly and its literally smooth one day and hard the next. I have no changed my tranny fluid actually. idk if the fluid was changed when the clutch was serviced. Could it be that? or could changing the fluid make it any better?

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      08-07-2012 08:57 PM #6
      I have a similar problem. I went to do a john force burn out, and it just revved, then i had no gears. I got out and walked home - i wasn't too far away. I woke up and I was able to drive it down the street to park it. It seemed like it needed a clutch, but it grabs and will stall... but sometimes its won't go into gear?

The car wreaks of smoked clutch.

What would break inside that wouldn't let me go into gear? I get reverse.. but it grinds and clunk. then i can go into other gears and drive a bit. Is this a symptom of a bad clutch?
      http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/4G31dh
      40% off Advance Auto Coupon friends and family

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      08-07-2012 09:02 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Corrado****** View Post
      I have a similar problem. I went to do a john force burn out, and it just revved, then i had no gears. I got out and walked home - i wasn't too far away. I woke up and I was able to drive it down the street to park it. It seemed like it needed a clutch, but it grabs and will stall... but sometimes its won't go into gear?

The car wreaks of smoked clutch.

What would break inside that wouldn't let me go into gear? I get reverse.. but it grinds and clunk. then i can go into other gears and drive a bit. Is this a symptom of a bad clutch?
      A buddy referred me that there is a technical reason why it won't go in gear sometimes because of the clutch being failed.

i thought it would just slip and slip and you go no where, but it would still go in gear. I think I recall a buddys 2.0 clutch failing and it wouldn't go in either.
      http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/4G31dh
      40% off Advance Auto Coupon friends and family

8. 08-07-2012 10:16 PM #8
      I'd try a good old alignment. Works wonders if you have not done it in a while.

You only need to shift into second with the clutch in, in order to get into 1st well. It helps if you are still moving to get first, juuuuust before you stop put pressure into first and it will fall into it. Sometimes just a small clunk or sound is normal. So like 20 mph braking have it in second clutch in, 2 mph push for first. If the light turns green before all of this, screw people with auto trans new cars, continue to brake to a crawl for first, instead of dogging second gear. Forget them, other peoples time and energy isn't worth our trans problems.

The problem could lie in syncros ultimately, if a flush or alignment does not help. If it's really as bad as you say.

Furrer, likely, they rebuilt other parts in the trans, or the worn disc itself preventing on gear engagement? Did it sear itself perma against the flywheel or something? That would do it. Sounds like a honda problems tbh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

9. 08-08-2012 02:16 AM #9
      I know exactly whats going on with your car...

I too myself have a 1997 Jetta Vr6 and I also had the same mileage when I had the car when it was doing the same exact thing!!! I would have to let my car warmup for at least 15 minutes for it to go into gear, it was the worst... but I came to realize I know exactly why it did what it did. This might sound weird but when I did this myself I never encountered this problem ever again

what you need to do is grab your clutch pedal and move it upwards.. the clutch pedal should come out more.. after that try starting it and drive it, it should shift smooth after that