Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: LED strip for trunk?

Vehicles
      2008 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T FSI Engine
      05-04-2012 12:56 PM #1
      Hello fellow VWVortexers!

I stupidly bought a set of 12" LED strips for my headlights do have them serve as DRL's...measured and discovered that they have to be 18"

So, I'm not going to let these go to waste. Should I have these serve as a light for my trunk? I was thinking that it would be kind of cool to have them running along the sides or maybe just use both on the top.

Thoughts?

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      05-04-2012 03:13 PM #2
      thats a great idea. You should do it and post pictures

3. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 Wagon 2.0T FSI
      05-04-2012 03:57 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by nodashi View Post
      thats a great idea. You should do it and post pictures
      also, my brother stick that to the door seams on his G35 before, so it light up the floor when he open the door. just an idea for you!
      97 Ford Contour V6, 96 Aristo Turbo, 97 S600, 98 540i, 2000 ES300, 2000 Aristo 161 Turbo, 2003 CL500, 2005 Skyline 350GT, 2002 Passat 4 motion, 2000 Civic DX, 2003 Ford Focus wagon, 2008 Passat Wagon 2.0T

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      05-04-2012 04:13 PM #4
      what are these LED strips powered by? i would like to put them under my seat

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 04:16 PM #5
      I'll definitely try and post some pictures up when I get them...need to learn how to do that haha.

And they are powered through two strips of wire for each LED set. One is power and the other is ground. Gonna splice a wire that's receiving power and attach it

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 04:17 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 98Silve1.8t View Post
      also, my brother stick that to the door seams on his G35 before, so it light up the floor when he open the door. just an idea for you!
      I thought of doing that too

Might just hold off and actually get myself OEM set though. It's not much to install...just gotta get my hands on VAG-Com

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-04-2012 04:25 PM #7
      I added an LED bar from oznium.com in my trunk; first mod I did. Impossible to see in the trunk at night/early morning with the pos stock light. Super easy too. Just cut the wires from the old light and run them to the new ones
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 04:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniorfeel View Post
      I added an LED bar from oznium.com in my trunk; first mod I did. Impossible to see in the trunk at night/early morning with the pos stock light. Super easy too. Just cut the wires from the old light and run them to the new ones
      Thanks man, I might just look into it. If I end up getting these, then I'll have to give the LED strips another function...If I went to car shows, I'd probably hook them up to the car's hood like some old cars used to have, but then I'd have to think about a switch..

I can always make them sound sensitive

Vehicles
      06 passat 3.6
      05-04-2012 10:04 PM #9
      You could also just wire tap into the trunk light. I put an led in the stock light and added two led strips to the top of the trunk. it's super easy to do and makes it so you can see in ur trunk at night

Vehicles
      08 Passat 6MT FSI ; 07 Mazda 6i ; 82 Mustang 5.0
      05-04-2012 10:15 PM #10
      haha a little off topic! but I ran a bunch of oznium lighting on one of my old cars

2008 United Gray B6 Passat 2.0T FSI 6 M/T: APR Stage 2+ 100 oct [] USP TestPipe/APR HPFP/AWE DV/BSH PCV Kit/CTS Intake/AutoTech CatBack/Snow Stg2 Meth/034 Dogbone Insert/ABT front lip/VMR V710 19x8.5/H&R SS Coils/TRS 6K HID/Climate Knobs/Pioneer DVD unit/Kenwood 9104D amps/Kicker L7s

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-05-2012 01:18 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by brettley View Post
      haha a little off topic! but I ran a bunch of oznium lighting on one of my old cars

oznium is the bomb! They sell a lot of cool stuff, very helpful people too.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

Vehicles
      08 Passat 6MT FSI ; 07 Mazda 6i ; 82 Mustang 5.0
      05-05-2012 01:31 PM #12
      oznium is the bomb! They sell a lot of cool stuff, very helpful people too.
      I agree, and there products are cheaper than cheap for crazy good quality! Anyone looking for LED stuff, I send em there. I wouldn't buy from anywhere else! I did alot of LED in that saab, and repped Oznium on it all the way! Grill glow, under glow, and foot well glow. Ricey euro car ;D
      2008 United Gray B6 Passat 2.0T FSI 6 M/T: APR Stage 2+ 100 oct [] USP TestPipe/APR HPFP/AWE DV/BSH PCV Kit/CTS Intake/AutoTech CatBack/Snow Stg2 Meth/034 Dogbone Insert/ABT front lip/VMR V710 19x8.5/H&R SS Coils/TRS 6K HID/Climate Knobs/Pioneer DVD unit/Kenwood 9104D amps/Kicker L7s

Vehicles
      05-05-2012 03:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by brettley View Post
      I agree, and there products are cheaper than cheap for crazy good quality! Anyone looking for LED stuff, I send em there. I wouldn't buy from anywhere else! I did alot of LED in that saab, and repped Oznium on it all the way! Grill glow, under glow, and foot well glow. Ricey euro car ;D
      Haha sweet, we have a lot of 'ricers' around where I live

I think I'm actually going to go with Jbet's suggestion; it's actually what I was thinking of doing in the first place.

Just have to learn how to splice the wires connecting to the stock bulb holder...not sure which is positive and ground..

SPEAKING OF, anyone know the correct bulb to buy for that part? I wanted to get one from superbrightleds.com, but I'm not sure which to get, or if I should even get the bulb and instead just go with the led that plugs into it.

Ideas?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-05-2012 11:40 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Andre 2.0T View Post
      Haha sweet, we have a lot of 'ricers' around where I live

I think I'm actually going to go with Jbet's suggestion; it's actually what I was thinking of doing in the first place.

Just have to learn how to splice the wires connecting to the stock bulb holder...not sure which is positive and ground..

SPEAKING OF, anyone know the correct bulb to buy for that part? I wanted to get one from superbrightleds.com, but I'm not sure which to get, or if I should even get the bulb and instead just go with the led that plugs into it.

Ideas?
      Personally, I thought it would be off balance if I had an LED strip/bar in the middle on the roof/top of the trunk (inside) and just make it look awkward, having a random light on the side and one centered in the middle; just my opinion, so I left it out. It's not hard to determine + and - on something that can't hurt anything. When I splice, I get the cheap crappy splices (work fine for thinner wires that are in little to no pressure areas-not being pulled on) and I strip off the wire casing of both wires, line them up in the splice, and connect them that way. A lot of splice I've used won't break through both wire coatings so stripping them off makes it easier. Before you actually put on the splice, test first. Strip the wire coating of both wires from the car and those going to your new LEDs. Touch the wires from the LEDs to those from the car and see if it does anything. If not, reverse and then check. Then make note your + and - or at least what colors go to what colors (LEDs to car wires). Easy peazy. I actually saw a guy in the B7 forum who had six or seven super bright chip LEDs (can be found on oznium.com), three in the back close to the seat backs and then the rest up front. Really looked nice! And with my setup ("Piranha" bar I think), I can actually pivot the bar in the clips I installed to tilt them back (facing out the back of the trunk) or turn them back so I light up everything deep in the trunk. Good luck, this is a great, functional and cheap mod that is also a lot of fun and a good learning experience!

Vehicles
      3C 2.0 TDI sportline
      05-06-2012 04:28 AM #15
      two year I have inside trunk white LED strip look how it look inside
      there is 1m of led strip

Vehicles
      05-06-2012 08:51 AM #16
      Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm thinking of following through with my idea on having the strips on top of the trunk and splicing into the wires for the trunk light. Thanks Juniorfeel for giving me an idea on how to properly do that and to VWejne for posting up those pictures! That's more or less what I'm thinking of doing

Vehicles
      3C 2.0 TDI sportline
      05-06-2012 03:18 PM #17
      I pluget this wire to trunk light . from this light I continue Wire for this LED strip.

This LED strip I used as footlight

Vehicles
      05-06-2012 05:27 PM #18
      Go through the trouble to make another socket for another trunk light on the left in order to make everything symmetrical or just remove the trunk light altogether and stick with the LED's on top...decisions decisions

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 01:37 PM #19
      Hey guys, I got the led strips in the mail yesterday and installed them today. Unfortunately, they are not all that bright and I noticed afterward that the lights are actually embedded on an angle in the strip. I guess it's for the light to shine downwards? Now I have one light path shining towards me when I open the trunk and the other one's the other way -_-

Guess I'm gonna go to that site that you guys recommended and get a strip from there

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 01:57 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by VWejne View Post
      two year I have inside trunk white LED strip look how it look inside
      there is 1m of led strip

VWejne, can you send me a link to the led strips that you have? I don't want to make another mistake with buying them!

Vehicles
      3C 2.0 TDI sportline
      05-09-2012 02:02 PM #21
      I don't know from where you are but if you want send me your adress I hope that I have with me 1m spare of this strip and i can send you . it is standard led strip 300 led in 5m cool white.
      ib oruvat nessage we can talk about it

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-09-2012 03:44 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Andre 2.0T View Post
      VWejne, can you send me a link to the led strips that you have? I don't want to make another mistake with buying them!
      Any LED strip will work for this, just choose your length and color.

Vehicles
      2010 Candy White Passat 2.0 TSI
      05-09-2012 03:57 PM #23
      I just replaced the trunk light on the passenger side with a 42mm error free festoon light. It has 8 LEDs on it and give off plenty of light for the whole trunk.

Don't junk up your B6 with LEDs in places they shouldn't be as far as the interior is concerned. That look is very juvenile IMO...
      Unitronic Stage 2 -- 42DD 3" catless downpipe -- APR Intercooler -- Unitronic Intake -- BSH Throttle Pipe -- AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe -- Unitronic DV Relocation -- Votex front lip -- HiDef side skirts -- painted rear valence -- mkvi wheel w/DSG paddles -- DDM HID headlights -- Euro side markers -- Interior & licence plate LEDs -- Skyline style Euro Tail Lights -- Podi gauge and pod kit -- revision D diverter valve

Vehicles
      3C 2.0 TDI sportline
      05-09-2012 05:44 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by SDbirdman View Post
      I just replaced the trunk light on the passenger side with a 42mm error free festoon light. It has 8 LEDs on it and give off plenty of light for the whole trunk.

Don't junk up your B6 with LEDs in places they shouldn't be as far as the interior is concerned. That look is very juvenile IMO...

replacing is ok but on driver side in corner you can't see anything when you put something inside trunk . that is reason why I put this strip there. for me is importatnt that I can see what is inside trunk . because person who is laughting of me that I have something like this strip insede and telling me that this isn't original. this person mean for me nothing . I need see what I have inside and this 42mm light on passanger side can't lighr on other side of trunk .

Vehicles
      08' B6 Passat FSI 2.0T
      05-10-2012 03:56 AM #25
      Is the trunk LED strip much better than the LED light replacement sold by ECS Tuning?

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 12:11 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by SDbirdman View Post

I was looking on ebay for this exact light...only found it in packs of 4

I just want one!!!

Also, I might just do what I mentioned before, about installing another trunk light on the driver side.

I think it'll look awesome, and being as how I already had to wire the LED strip on the left to the trunk light via the driver side through the carpet (because of the angle), I can already wire it in!

It's just a matter of cutting and getting the light holder