Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: somewhat fashion conscious male needs advice

05-04-2012 01:57 PM #1
      I like to think of myself as a fairly fashion conscious person, yet I also detest shopping and looking for clothes and do it about once every year. That said I find myself with a closet full of stuff that I don't really want to wear anymore and a need to completely revitalize my wardrobe.

I run my own medical device distributorship which sees me running from office to office, hospital to hospital etc on a daily basis. I need to dress business professional, but not suit and tie (I work and live in Santa Barbara).

I am looking for clothes that can blend from casual to work casual. I have an appointment with a nordstrom stylist in a few weeks but afraid that I am just going to walk out looking like a nordstrom ad.

I currently wear a lot of Hugo Boss pants and shirts as I have found that they work best for my style and size. I am an athletic 6"0 185 lbs.

I would love ideas and directions to look in. My friends wife has directed me to John Varvatos to get ideas, but I just get lost in all the options and what exactly would look good for me.

I would like to have style without it seeming like I am trying too hard. I welcome any recommendations for blogs, stylists I should be looking at or ideas.

I just purchased these boots, this is the biz casual style I would like to go for as I see these moving from jeans to more biz and back again pretty easily.

Here are some styles I like I think

ditch the hat in this one

2. 05-04-2012 11:29 PM #3
      those boots are horrible
      those looks are trendy fashionista nordstrom stuff. your nordstrom "stylist" would probably costume in it easily.

if you want to look "smart" - which i gathered from your statement, then stick to basics and conservatives.
      classic colors and tons - white, shades of blues, conservative pastels (e.g. light pink or purple or ecru for summer), earthy tones of browns olives and gray for fall/winter.
      classic patterns - small scale checks/ginghams, bengal stripes.
      get creative with the textures and weaves - chambray, linen blends, rough beefy oxford for daily wear, royal oxford for dress wear, broadcloth and end-on-end for hotter days, etc. mixing up textures gives your clothes some visual interest

obviously fit is paramount. if everything fits and is consistent, you dont have orphan garments that are only complementary to specific others. when i pack for business trips, it only takes 5 minutes, because i dont have to build "outfits" -- everything goes with everything else.

a clean blue-on-white checked sport shirt on stone chinos or dark blue jeans and you'll never look awkwardly overdressed, or uncomfortably out of place 98% of the time.

otherwise, if u start wearing vests by themselves, knits with gigantic plackets, you might be recognized as a victim of GQ subscription

3. 05-05-2012 12:05 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rockhog View Post
      those boots are horrible
      those looks are trendy fashionista nordstrom stuff. your nordstrom "stylist" would probably costume in it easily.

if you want to look "smart" - which i gathered from your statement, then stick to basics and conservatives.
      classic colors and tons - white, shades of blues, conservative pastels (e.g. light pink or purple or ecru for summer), earthy tones of browns olives and gray for fall/winter.
      classic patterns - small scale checks/ginghams, bengal stripes.
      get creative with the textures and weaves - chambray, linen blends, rough beefy oxford for daily wear, royal oxford for dress wear, broadcloth and end-on-end for hotter days, etc. mixing up textures gives your clothes some visual interest

obviously fit is paramount. if everything fits and is consistent, you dont have orphan garments that are only complementary to specific others. when i pack for business trips, it only takes 5 minutes, because i dont have to build "outfits" -- everything goes with everything else.

a clean blue-on-white checked sport shirt on stone chinos or dark blue jeans and you'll never look awkwardly overdressed, or uncomfortably out of place 98% of the time.

otherwise, if u start wearing vests by themselves, knits with gigantic plackets, you might be recognized as a victim of GQ subscription

John Varvatos designs clothing for people that want to try and look like rock stars all the time, and for the most part his clothes are poorly made.

I would recommend against meeting with the Nordstrom stylist. They are salespeople before anything else.

Vehicles
      a van
      05-07-2012 12:58 PM #5
      i like styleforum a lot as well, HOWEVER, do take most things posted on there with a grain of salt, as it seems like a lot of folks seem to promote looking like a 50+ gent and tout expensive, bespoke everything as the value for money. they're partially true, but that's only if you have buckets of money to spend.

anyway, you could definitely go with some RL/Polo stuff, as they should fit you quite well (their shirts are generally longer (made to be tucked in), and their cuts complement athletic builds. I actually really like JCrew's shirts (pains me to say that because of all the hipsters and wannabe-preps) because they are made well and not expensive if you look for discounts. if you like Boss, maybe try looking at their Orange line if you want to stay in the same family. I'd also recommend some Brooks Brothers pants that should take daily duty quite well. Also, Banana Republic is my go-to for workwear because it is not expensive and looks clean. it's all about how you put your look together that will determine if you look like an office monkey or someone who is confident and looks good in anything. i think also, get an unstructured blazer/sportcoat to wear on top to straddle that line of formal/casual. in terms of shoes, boots probably aren't a great idea unless you're out in the fields all day. i'd suggest some nice oxfords from any reputable brand that you can find.
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

5. 05-08-2012 06:09 AM #6
      I think you should go with seersucker. I have Ralph Lauren seersucker; I bought last year for the derby. It was awesome and I actually wore the suit already this year. I get many compliments on it as well. It's perfect attire for men.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      05-08-2012 09:26 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by UKGTI View Post
      I run my own medical device distributorship which sees me running from office to office, hospital to hospital etc on a daily basis. I need to dress business professional, but not suit and tie (I work and live in Santa Barbara).
      Here is the most important thing - you are the owner of a company and it sounds like you are the primary sales person - dress as your clients expect you to dress, not like some ad.

There is a difference between fashion (that GQ cover) and style. Discover it and you'll be properly dressed. Nobody can tell you what it is.

05-08-2012 03:27 PM #8
      thanks for the advice everyone. I do feel that there is a more laid-back vibe here in Santa Barbara. We are a small coastal California town and everything is a little more relaxed. Showing up in Seersucker would be a little out there. I am really trying to find my own style and hoping that is something that moves back and forth between casual and business casual. It is not unheard of to show up in a nice pair of jeans and button down for a Friday meeting. A full suit everyday labels you quickly as a sales rep from LA!

I have liked what I have seen from Banana Republic over the years, but to be honest I feel that their quality has slipped a little bit recently. I also have purchased many pairs of Hugo Boss pants, but looking for other brands that work for me too. I will check out the brooks brothers.

I will post back with what I end up picking up.

8. 05-08-2012 08:00 PM #9
      It sounds like, from your original post, that you are trying to change your wardrobe very significantly. I did something very similar over the last few years. The following are the things that I found mattered to me and were important:

- Less, but better. I had a dozen pairs of shoes, dozens of graphic tees, a half dozen cheap polo/sport shirts, a bunch of pairs of shorts, 4 pairs of cheap jeans, 3 pairs of cheap chino's, five or six hoodies, etc. I now own less total items of clothing, but they are easily interchangeable and flexible pieces that are of much higher quality.

- Better shoes. "Fashionable" shoes are only going to impress people who are into "fashion". A well-made pair of shoes in a classic style will go with anything from jeans to a suit without looking out of place and will last decades. Allen Edmonds is a good place to start. Carmina and Crockett & Jones are excellent if you have a bit more money to spend.

- Don't look at "fashion" magazines for advise. They exist to sell the things their advertisers want to sell. Those advertisers are mostly clothing companies. Those companies want you to buy new clothes as often as possible, this is why "trends" exist. There are many resources online that are better. Style Forum is one, "Put This On" is also very good.

- Don't ask women for advise. This one was hard for me, but I have found it to be true. Most women recommend clothing for guys because they saw it on someone they thought was attractive. So you end up with someone recommending John Varvatos because some musician or actor wears it in a picture in US Weekly.

- Buy from places with a good return policy, and try everything you buy on at home. Why? Because after the shine and excitement wears off and you are out of the store, you can honestly evaluate whether or not it looks good on you and you want to keep it. I bought a Ralph Lauren blazer at a Nordstrom Rack because I though the deal was too good to pass up. Once I got it home and tried it on again, I didn't like the way the fabric looked on me with the clothes I thought it would work with.

9. 05-10-2012 02:57 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      Don't ask women for advise.
      Here goes anyway...

Osiris is right and I have one more: Buy clothes that fit properly, and get them altered so that they fit even better!

Most guys wear their shirts too big and trousers too baggy. Chances are your body is good and you can wear clothes that fit precisely. From the looks you post, you like slimmer styles (higher armholes, narrower cuts in shirts and jackets). Go with that idea. Quality, fit and good shoes will make an outfit.

Don't be afraid to show off your shape and try to build a relationship with a tailor that doesn't work in a store where you shop. Buy clothes that fit and flatter you and then go to the tailor and have 'em nipped even more.
      Last edited by Katie-S; 05-10-2012 at 03:00 PM.

10. 05-18-2012 06:57 AM #11
      I know there are not a lot of options for a man when we talk about fashion. Simply, a perfect dressing makes a man trendy and fashionable. You should choose button down shirt or a polo shirt with a black pencil bottom jeans. I am sure you will never conscious after wearing this.

Vehicles
      '08 Mazda3 and a temperamental Fox Body
      05-19-2012 02:28 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      It sounds like, from your original post, that you are trying to change your wardrobe very significantly. I did something very similar over the last few years. The following are the things that I found mattered to me and were important:

- Less, but better. I had a dozen pairs of shoes, dozens of graphic tees, a half dozen cheap polo/sport shirts, a bunch of pairs of shorts, 4 pairs of cheap jeans, 3 pairs of cheap chino's, five or six hoodies, etc. I now own less total items of clothing, but they are easily interchangeable and flexible pieces that are of much higher quality.

- Better shoes. "Fashionable" shoes are only going to impress people who are into "fashion". A well-made pair of shoes in a classic style will go with anything from jeans to a suit without looking out of place and will last decades. Allen Edmonds is a good place to start. Carmina and Crockett & Jones are excellent if you have a bit more money to spend.

- Don't look at "fashion" magazines for advise. They exist to sell the things their advertisers want to sell. Those advertisers are mostly clothing companies. Those companies want you to buy new clothes as often as possible, this is why "trends" exist. There are many resources online that are better. Style Forum is one, "Put This On" is also very good.

- Don't ask women for advise. This one was hard for me, but I have found it to be true. Most women recommend clothing for guys because they saw it on someone they thought was attractive. So you end up with someone recommending John Varvatos because some musician or actor wears it in a picture in US Weekly.

- Buy from places with a good return policy, and try everything you buy on at home. Why? Because after the shine and excitement wears off and you are out of the store, you can honestly evaluate whether or not it looks good on you and you want to keep it. I bought a Ralph Lauren blazer at a Nordstrom Rack because I though the deal was too good to pass up. Once I got it home and tried it on again, I didn't like the way the fabric looked on me with the clothes I thought it would work with.
      I worked in fashion retail for many years and everything in this post is 100% correct. I'd re-emphasize the point about not asking women for advice, not because I'm trying to offend any ladies in here but because it's so true. I had guys who would come in and rely on their girlfriend to dress them, rather than ask me for assistance, and they usually ended up looking like a total train wreck. My personal favorite was the guy who needed something to wear to an outdoor summer wedding. His girlfriend, who fancied herself a fashionista, picked out a bright green dress shirt that fit like crap, solid sky blue skinny tie, and pleated beige chinos

Also x2 on the post about finding a good tailor - you want things to fit you as well as possible when you get them off the rack, but it's amazing how a little extra work by an experienced tailor can make an article of clothing look so, so much better.

Vehicles
      MTA Metro Card, Zipcar
      05-19-2012 11:53 PM #13
      The best business casual is probably Brooks Brothers. I wear a lot of Zegna for work, though. Those boots are fugly, sorry. You could always go to Zara and get some cheap stuff and see what styles you like, mix and match stuff at a very low cost before you take the plunge into getting a new wardrobe.

05-21-2012 11:44 AM #14
      wow, so much hate for the boots. I love them. Super comfortable and they accomplish what I was looking for, business casual or casual. I have got several compliments on them already. Not like I am wearing them with shorts.

Vehicles
      2007 S2000
      05-24-2012 02:28 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by teutonicgoodness View Post
      The best business casual is probably Brooks Brothers. I wear a lot of Zegna for work, though. Those boots are fugly, sorry. You could always go to Zara and get some cheap stuff and see what styles you like, mix and match stuff at a very low cost before you take the plunge into getting a new wardrobe.
      I have a couple of pairs of shoes from Zara...I really like them, and I always seem to get compliments about them. Very stylish.

Vehicles
      All of Them
      05-24-2012 03:37 PM #16
      you might want to check out trunkclub.com its a bit pricey for some people but they have great style and you dont have to shop.