Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I'd like to know more: SV650

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2014 Porsche Cayman
      05-04-2012 02:43 PM #1
      Can someone give me a basic rundown of these bikes?

I am trying to find, of all things, a bike that meets these criteria:

1) commuter (gets gas mileage > 50 MPG)
      2) track bike (doesn't have to be fast, just sporty, easy to wrench and cheap parts)
      3) Better to 2-up on than my SF

I know most SV650's are nakeds, but a local school seems to have full-fairing versions and I thought it looked quite good. But other than being a V-twin I don't know much about these bikes at all.

Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      05-04-2012 03:25 PM #2
      Someone on these forums tracks his. Was my first bike, first gen naked, loved it, just needed a bike better for 2 up.

Cliffs:

- cheap to run, own, maintain, insure
      - stock suspension is crap
      - bullet proof reliability
      - first gens (up to 04 I think?), aka 'Curvies' were carbed (and the best )
      - second gens had the flat frame and got FI but not as good looking (subjective)
      - third gens were rebranded as the gladius and to each their own
      - I think i got around 48mpg on mine
      - meets your criteria for track bike
      - wasn't great for 2up but possibly better than your SF

It will feel very underpowered next to the 1098, but still fun as hell to ride in the twisties.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      05-04-2012 03:32 PM #3
      the full fairing version is the SV650S. It's a great bike and I have seen many at track days. The great thing about the SV650 line is that the parts are swappable with GSXR parts, so there are many areas of upgrades and options to have. Also, most wrenching can be done yourself...unlike a Ducati where you need to buy special tools in order to wrench on them. I know that if you get a 02+ (essentially 2nd gen and up), that's when they became fuel injected which makes the modding easier than having to deal with carbs. Overall a great bike, to commute and do occasional track days.

You'll get near 50+ mpg...I don't remember what mine got, it's been so long since I had my SV650.

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 04:40 PM #4
      Thanks guys. Are there any specific points to look for when I'm trying to find a used bike?

I'd probably leave it mostly stock but upgrade the suspension depending on how much time I found myself doing at the track.

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 06:33 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by U n i o n 0015 View Post
      Thanks guys. Are there any specific points to look for when I'm trying to find a used bike?

I'd probably leave it mostly stock but upgrade the suspension depending on how much time I found myself doing at the track.
      I don't think there's anything in particular for a first gen. Due to their price point they are a popular track bike to just make sure to check for all the signs of modification and slides.

Vehicles
      Current vehicles Audi A3 2.0T FWD 04 ninja 250 RIP 2010 Honda Accord Ex-L - and 2006 SV1000s
      05-04-2012 08:28 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by U n i o n 0015 View Post

I have a 1ks I love it, when I get the money I will replace it with the ducati 848 but anyway. I get 45mpg on mine so a 650 should do better. I've ridden the 650 but never 2 up so I can't speak about that. Also do yourself a favor and change the rubber for something like a pilot road 2/3. I did the cheaper suspension change to the racetech springs which helped but the stock rubber is crap compared to the michelins or any good road rubber. Go to svrider.com or sv-portal(although its more 1kcc based) for some great info. Also after having a FI and carb bike, I am glad this bike is FI.
      I tell them to tackle the concrete at walking speeds and re-think their position.

05-04-2012 08:41 PM #7
      I have a 2005 SV650S that I bought new. It is now a track only bike.
      Great do it all bike that you can easily tinker with to make it do what ever you want better.
      2003 was the start of the second generation, FI. The 2003 also had a higher tail, so some parts are unique to it. 2007 added dual spark heads and ABS became an option.

Sv650 = no fairing
      sv650s = half fairing(upper)
      sv650sf = full fairings.

Stock when I brought it home

Now

Spend some time on SVRider.com everything you could ever think of is there.
      If you love your motorcycle, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high sided

Vehicles
      05-06-2012 12:26 PM #8
      Love your track bike! I would love to go in that direction. I'll check out svrider--thanks guys.

Vehicles
      Current vehicles Audi A3 2.0T FWD 04 ninja 250 RIP 2010 Honda Accord Ex-L - and 2006 SV1000s
      05-06-2012 10:44 PM #9
      Hey Matoo why no gsxr front end on a track bike, I don't track mine so I went the cheaper route but I feel like if I was I would Just a question.
      I tell them to tackle the concrete at walking speeds and re-think their position.

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      05-06-2012 10:53 PM #10
      As pointed out, very easy to work on. Good bikes. I'd seriously contend that it is the most entertaining 600cc class engine on the market.

I had a naked model for 2.5 years. Full suspension swap, a slip on....and that's about it. If I could afford it, I'd still have it around. The way I had it setup, it was not a good tourer. It could do it, and a proper setup SV can make an outstanding one. But, I felt like I would be doing my bike a diservice by changing the config so drastically.

I sold it and bought a 10 year old VFR. It is not anywhere as easy to work on.

But, it sounds just as unique. Heh.

Oh, and if you have any questions on a fork swap (I put a gsxr 600 fork on mine) I kept a reasonably well documented thread on this very forum.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...odies-content&

I'm not the only one here who has done it either. I think mad8v did, someone else too.
      Last edited by TurboWraith; 05-06-2012 at 10:59 PM.

05-07-2012 12:08 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by rambag3 View Post
      Hey Matoo why no gsxr front end on a track bike, I don't track mine so I went the cheaper route but I feel like if I was I would Just a question.
      Not enough return on the investment of my time and money to do a swap. The stock parts can be made to work quite well for very little money.
      Swapping the forks also limits what classes you can race in also, not that I can afford to go racing any time soon.

Also, it is waaay cheaper to buy a stock set of forks off all the folks that think you NEED to do the GSXR swap when you bend the crap out of yours

With a straight edge to show how bad I bent them.

Last edited by matoo; 05-07-2012 at 12:41 AM.
      If you love your motorcycle, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high sided

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 12:40 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by matoo View Post
      Not enough return on the investment of my time and money to do a swap. The stock parts can be made to work quite well for very little money.
      Swapping the forks also limits what classes you can race in also, not that I can afford to go racing any time soon.

Also, it is waaay cheaper to buy a stock set of forks off all the folks that think you NEED to do the GSXR swap when you bend that crap out of yours

I completely understand this but one thing, I don't race but why does it limit what class you can race in?

05-07-2012 12:46 AM #13
      Some classes only allow the stock forks per the rules. A fork swap would put you into a different class and competition with much faster bikes.

Gsxr forks are also shorter, dropping the front of the bike and changing geometry. You could lower the rear to compensate, but you could be taking away cornering clearance. There are definitely two schools on the swap, but am in the keep it stock and play with the internals camp firmly.

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      05-07-2012 07:40 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by matoo View Post
      Some classes only allow the stock forks per the rules. A fork swap would put you into a different class and competition with much faster bikes.

Gsxr forks are also shorter, dropping the front of the bike and changing geometry. You could lower the rear to compensate, but you could be taking away cornering clearance. There are definitely two schools on the swap, but am in the keep it stock and play with the internals camp firmly.
      I would argue that the geometry change is a good thing. In fact, raising the rear to go along with the shorter forks is desirable.

Vehicles
      '11 tundra, '03 sv1000, 14 grom
      05-07-2012 09:37 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post
      I would argue that the geometry change is a good thing. In fact, raising the rear to go along with the shorter forks is desirable.
      it depends on what you're doing... raised rear + lowered front = twitchy as hell on my bike (I had the 1" raising links and gsxr front and 1 ride showed me I didn't want the raising links)
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

05-07-2012 04:18 PM #16
      Changing the tire can change all that too. With my current set up I have 7mm of fork showing above the top triple.
      You have to balance quick turn in with stability, especially at the track.

Vehicles
      Il Mostro, MkVI 6MT GLI
      05-10-2012 01:59 PM #17
      SV650 was my first bike after selling off my starter bike. I do not think you will find a better commuter. That bike is all low end, and if I could have afforded it, I'd still have her.

If you do pick one up, first thing you should do is a GSXR front end swap. You can run clip-ons but there are plenty of options for standard bars too, if you want to keep that option (try LSL). I cannot state enough how much garbage the stock suspension is.

+ to svrider.com. Have met a great deal of really decent people there, and the information you can find on that bike there is unparalleled.

They're simply really fun, cheap, all-around bikes.
      Mr. Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to provide an amusing death for you.

18. 05-15-2012 09:53 AM #18
      How interchangeable are the fairings across the different models?

Are the FI years more desirable?

Vehicles
      '11 tundra, '03 sv1000, 14 grom
      05-15-2012 10:06 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by benjaminobscene View Post
      How interchangeable are the fairings across the different models?

Are the FI years more desirable?
      the breakdown is something like this:
      99-02 carburated, curvy 1st-gen. available in S (half-fairing) and N (naked)
      '03 fi, first year of 2nd gen. different subframe and tail from the rest of 2nd gens. otherwise the same
      '04-'11 regular 2nd gen. at some point they made some minor updates (ABS available, 4 spark motor instead of two). Available as S (half fairing) N (naked) and Sf (full fairing '08? on)

the first gen can become S or N with some parts swapping

all the 2nd gens can be made into S N or Sf with some parts swapping. and S can be made into Sf with just buying the lower fairings.

2ndgen motors can work in 1stgen and vice versa, but it's a bit involved. 1stgens motors can be converted to FI but it's a bit involved. Read the FAQs on svrider.com

a lot of gsxr parts (front end, shock, fairings) can be adapted to work on the sv. common enough to do gsxr suspension/brakes/wheels. Fairings are a bit tougher but people have done it.

cbrf3 parts also. cbrf3 front ends or internals, rear wheel (so you can run a 180 tire)
      Last edited by mad8vskillz; 05-15-2012 at 10:09 AM.
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

20. 05-16-2012 08:30 PM #20
      Really have nothing else to add that hasn't already been covered, but to say that I loved mine when I had it.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta SportWagen SEL, 2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 1978 Honda Hawk CB400
      05-17-2012 07:40 AM #21
      I have a V-Strom DL650. It is an SV650 with different fairings and ergonomics setup as an 'adventure tourer'. I claim it is a lightweight sport-tourer. It has the same engine as the SV, just tuned slightly differently.

I am religious about recording my fuel mileage. After nearly 1 year and ~8500 miles of ownership my average is hovering at 54 MPG with a lot of high speed highway riding in the mix. So 50+ MPGs on an SV should be attainable from a reasonably sanely ridden SV.

SV's are very popular with the track crowd around here.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the ergonomics between the 'S' and 'N' versions. The SV-S models all came with clip-on style handlebars where as the 'N' versions had regular bars. This makes the N significantly more upright and more relaxed riding position.

I am told that the N is much more desirable on the used market because of this, at least locally.

Personally I wouldn't mind a 2nd gen SV-S or SV-SF as a garage mate for my DL. Same engine and frame with very different mindsets. I know a guy who has this very setup (DL setup for touring/commuting, SV professionally setup for track days) and am quite jealous.

My opinion is that the FI 2nd gens are more desirable. Although I might feel otherwise if it is a 2nd bike. I personally find the 2nd gens much more attractive. But like everything, YMMV.
      Last edited by nhbubba; 05-17-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 11:59 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Little Byron View Post
      Really have nothing else to add that hasn't already been covered, but to say that I loved mine when I had it.
      x2

Vehicles
      08 Suzuki SV650sf, 07 Passat Wagon 3.6L 4MO
      05-21-2012 12:48 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
      x2
      X3 my first bike and even though I really want a gsxr600 I love the sv's cheap insurance more

Mine is a 08 sf

Sent from my Razr Maxx on Tapatalk 2