Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 93 Eurovan Transmission Issue / Question Limp Mode reset?

1. 05-05-2012 01:00 AM #1
      Hello,

Just picked up a 93 Eurovan that was non running for a few years. I was able to get it running and runs great. However it does not shift and appears to be in a limp mode as all gear selection lights are on and seems to be in 3rd.

My questions to start trouble shooting is to see if there is a reset? Does it the TCU/TCm need to be reprogrammed as it has sat for for so long.

I do not want to start down the trans replace until I can confrim it is bad.

Thank you

Tyler

2. 05-05-2012 01:42 PM #2
      I am not sure if the reset for later models (01P trans with the VR6 engine) works for the earlier ones but can't hurt to try.

1. Turn on ignition (but don't start engine).

2. Turn off ignition.

3. Turn on ignition again (no engine) and floor accelerator and hold for about 15 seconds.

4. Release accelerator and now start and drive car. Should be reset.

If that isn't it, I bet your issue is electrical and not mechanical. Two things tend to fail on these.

1. Check the electrical connector and wiring going to the transmission. Heat and/or other things like a coolant leak or something degrades the wiring. A friend of mine had these issues and he had a shop splice in some wiring (the genuine replacement harness is pricey) to repair it and it worked wonders (his van was stuck in limp home too).

2. If that wasn't it, drain the fluid and drop the pan and check the foil strip circuitry in there. It's also a not-too-uncommon failure item. It's not uber-cheap but not that horrific either:
      http://store.europarts-sd.com/transm...1992-2000.aspx

My guess is that either of those are causing electronics incommunicado-ness and that's why you're in limp mode. Either way, better than a new transmission!

3. 05-09-2012 09:53 AM #3
      not sure it'll be any help or even work on the TCU but my friend had a fouled out problem and had to reset the ECU in his 95 EV.
      the procedure he used was to disconnect the battery cables (ALL incl CAMPING BATTERY) and touch the cables together to dissipate any residual memory in the ECU.

if you ned up needing a TCU or wiring harness, I have one for a 93 Automatic (instrument cluster too) listed over on thesamba.
      http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1299800

best luck

Dan in NY

4. 05-10-2012 04:16 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by danfromsyr View Post
      not sure it'll be any help or even work on the TCU but my friend had a fouled out problem and had to reset the ECU in his 95 EV.
      the procedure he used was to disconnect the battery cables (ALL incl CAMPING BATTERY) and touch the cables together to dissipate any residual memory in the ECU.

if you ned up needing a TCU or wiring harness, I have one for a 93 Automatic (instrument cluster too) listed over on thesamba.
      http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1299800

best luck

Dan in NY
      Just make sure you have your radio security code first (if the van still has the stock radio) because doing this will probably put your radio into safe mode.

There also is another way to reset the ECU by the way (per the Bentley manual).

1. Fully warm up car (to where the fans cycle on and off).

2. Turn car off.

3. Disconnect the blue coolant sensor wiring from the sensor.

4. Disconnect the PCV hose from the PCV valve and plug it.

5. Ensure that all lights and accessories are off, including climate control (everything) and that you have no vacuum leaks.

6. Start car, let it idle for at least one minute.

7. Stop car, reconnect PCV hose and coolant sensor wiring connector (but if fans are running, wait until they stop before reconnecting the wiring connector - connecting it while fans are running will damage the ECU).