Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VW begins Amarok production in Germany

05-05-2012 07:38 AM #1
      http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/05...uction-of.html

Quote Originally Posted by Carscoop
      A little over two years after the introduction of the Amarok and the start of production at Volkswagen Group's manufacturing Pacheco plant in Argentina, the automaker announced that the midsize pickup is also to be produced at the brand's factory in Hanover, Germany.

Volkswagen said it plans to manufacture around 40,000 Amarok trucks a year for customers in Eastern and Western Europe as well as Africa. The company noted that production in Argentina will continue but in the future, it will focus on deliveries to Latin America and South America.

The German firm's CEO Martin Winterkorn opened the newly installed assembly lines for the Amarok during a special ceremony on Thursday.

"Volkswagen has big growth opportunities worldwide in the light commercial vehicles segment," said Winterkorn. "With the start of production in Hanover, the Amarok has finally arrived in Europe. The Amarok ‘made in Hanover’ stands for the production capability of the location and gives additional ongoing impetus to the success story of our Volkswagen pickup," he added.

Currently, VW has started the pre-production phase of the Amarok, with serial production to commence from the end of June, at which point, 185 trucks will be rolling off the Hanover assembly lines per working day.

2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT - Ibis White / Black
      2006 Audi A8 L 4.2 Quattro - Brilliant Black / Amaretto
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC - Black / Black

05-05-2012 07:56 AM #2
      Why does the orange service truck look like a really good photoshop? Edit: As far as there being a fully articualting (heavy) man lift in the bed.

05-05-2012 08:26 AM #3
      Oh! return of the tires with markings. Must be rare in Europe.

Vehicles
      S4, A4, MK5
      05-05-2012 09:58 AM #4
      just sell this here. TDi amarok would be in my driveway no question.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      05-05-2012 10:12 AM #5
      Do want!

Fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

6. 05-05-2012 10:13 AM #6
      I wish they would sell this here.

Vehicles
      98 b5 Passat
      05-05-2012 10:29 AM #7
      Amarok bucket truck! Pretty cool.

8. 05-05-2012 10:37 AM #8
      And just to show my ignorance; why are they not going to import this to the US/Canada?

9. 05-05-2012 10:42 AM #9
      F-150 that's why?

10. 05-05-2012 10:46 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      And just to show my ignorance; why are they not going to import this to the US/Canada?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
      The US government puts a 25% tariff on light trucks imported into the United States. This tariff would make the truck too expensive and it would sell poorly and this is the reason why VW will not sell it here. Unless they start building the Amarok in Mexico then the US will never see this truck.

Vehicles
      S4, A4, MK5
      05-05-2012 10:51 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
      The US government puts a 25% tariff on light trucks imported into the United States. This tariff would make the truck too expensive and it would sell poorly and this is the reason why VW will not sell it here. Unless they start building the Amarok in Mexico then the US will never see this truck.
      They already do build it in south america.

05-05-2012 10:55 AM #12
      I actually find the single cab long bed version to be a refreshing return to smaller trucks. I would imagine, if this truck were any good, it would do very well here.

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C |

13. 05-05-2012 11:15 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by stuvy View Post
      But we do not have a free trade agreement with Argentina so it would still be hit with a 25% tariff.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      05-05-2012 11:19 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Euro Hillbilly View Post
      Why does the orange service truck look like a really good photoshop? Edit: As far as there being a fully articualting (heavy) man lift in the bed.
      The man bucket truck is def a photoshop. And not a very good one at that

It's missing the control unit/base at the bottom, which is what gave it away for me.

Here's a pic of an actual man bucket unit on a Tacoma:

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      05-05-2012 11:24 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      I would give this a shot to replace my Tacoma if it got at least 27 mpg highway (What my Taco gets), had a gas engine option, was automatic, and cost less than $17,500 (What my Taco cost).

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-05-2012 11:27 AM #16
      just sell this here. TDi amarok would be in my driveway no question.
      Okay. Now go price out a Tacoma, extended or crew cab, and add $2500 to the MSRP for the configuration of your choice. Still enthusiastic?

Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      I actually find the single cab long bed version to be a refreshing return to smaller trucks. I would imagine, if this truck were any good, it would do very well here.

Chris
      It's no smaller than the Tacoma - actually, it's an inch or so wider and taller. Think, say, Dakota-size. It's a biggun.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 05-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

17. 05-05-2012 11:29 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I would give this a shot to replace my Tacoma if it got at least 27 mpg highway (What my Taco gets), had a gas engine option, was automatic, and cost less than $17,500 (What my Taco cost).
      You may as well require it to give rim jobs with those unrealistic expectations.

Taco's aren't $17.5k new, cheapest I see is in the high 19s new, base, etc.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      05-05-2012 11:35 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      You may as well require it to give rim jobs with those unrealistic expectations.

Taco's aren't $17.5k new, cheapest I see is in the high 19s new, base, etc.
      None of those expectations are unrealistic. Toyota, Ford, Chevy, and Nissan have all been able to make small trucks that meet those.

I paid $18,000 flat for my Tacoma, including all the dealer's stupid fees. So my point is that the Amarok would have to be a bit cheaper than that in order for me to consider an untested and unknown brand.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-05-2012 11:35 AM #19
      Also...this isn't intended to be insulting to anybody, but unless you're already a truck or SUV owner, I'd be extremely skeptical that, when push comes to shove, you actually need an Amarok enough to put your money where your mouth is. If you don't already need a truck (or SUV or crossover) and its utility enough to own one even as a secondary vehicle, are you really - really really really - going to buy a $35-40k one if it's sold here, just because it's got a diesel and a badge you like on the front end? Maybe a few of you would, but...

If VW's considering selling this here, the question they're asking is "how many Tacoma, F-150, Frontier, Ram, and Silverado customers can we win over," not "How many VW buyers would also buy this."
      Last edited by Turbio!; 05-05-2012 at 11:46 AM.

The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.

20. 05-05-2012 11:40 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Also...this isn't intended to be insulting to anybody, but unless you're already a truck or SUV owner, I'd be extremely skeptical that, when push comes to shove, you actually need an Amarok enough to put your money where your mouth is. If you don't already need a truck enough to own one even as a secondary vehicle, are you really - really really really - going to buy a $35-40k one if it's sold here, just because it's got a diesel and a badge you like on the front end?

If VW's considering selling this here, the question they're asking is "how many Tacoma, F-150, Frontier, Ram, and Silverado customers can we win over," not "How many VW buyers would also buy this."
      If they started building it in Mexico or America I bet it would be cost as much as a similar Tacoma.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-05-2012 11:43 AM #21
      If they started building it in Mexico or America I bet it would be cost as much as a similar Tacoma.
      A reasonably well-equipped Taco crew cab hits $33-35k effortlessly. As I said above, then add $2000-2500 on to that if you want a diesel, which in the US would require AdBlue. If their strategy with the Q7, Touareg, and JSW TDI models is any guide, a diesel would only be available in a well-equipped trim line, not on base models.

So...I'd be astonished if you could obtain a diesel Amarok for any less than $33k. Now, I'd be willing to pay that, but I've bought $33k SUVs a couple of times.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 05-05-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
      05-05-2012 11:46 AM #22
      I know -why- they do it, but does anyone else find robots wearing those sleeve things a bit hilarious looking? Or do I just need to go to bed?
      "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
      - Plato

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      05-05-2012 11:58 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Turq View Post
      I know -why- they do it, but does anyone else find robots wearing those sleeve things a bit hilarious looking? Or do I just need to go to bed?
      It's so they're weatherproof when they begin the robot takeover.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-05-2012 12:19 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Turq View Post
      I haz a jacket! Yaaaaay

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      05-05-2012 12:21 PM #25
      The Amarok is coming to the US, shortly after the Polo...
      :gift:

26. Member
      Vehicles
      1994 Land Cruiser
      05-05-2012 12:23 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      A reasonably well-equipped Taco crew cab hits $33-35k effortlessly. As I said above, then add $2000-2500 on to that if you want a diesel, which in the US would require AdBlue. If their strategy with the Q7, Touareg, and JSW TDI models is any guide, a diesel would only be available in a well-equipped trim line, not on base models.

So...I'd be astonished if you could obtain a diesel Amarok for any less than $33k. Now, I'd be willing to pay that, but I've bought $33k SUVs a couple of times.
      And you still get a little itty-bitty little diesel. The size of the TDI unit in the VW has been the biggest draw back here where 3L+ diesels are the norm in all the competition. The new Ranger is probably the class of this field now.

27. 05-05-2012 12:25 PM #27
      Mexico is not South America and it's likely as part of NAFTA that imports from Mexico are probably not subjected to the same tariffs that South American products would be.

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2
      05-05-2012 12:42 PM #28
      If anything, I wouldn't have anything in protest of VW selling a cheapened out version of this, building it in Mexico and selling it here for a lowered price, but with a TDI...

I see no reason why (what is undoubtedly a work truck) this needs to have soft touch materials and what not.. perhaps on a higher trim it can still come with all those amenities for those who really want it..just my $0.02
      Last edited by IridiumB6; 05-05-2012 at 12:49 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

29. 05-05-2012 12:47 PM #29
      I still don't understand why (VWoA thinks) this wouldn't fly in the US (assuming that cost and build location is worked out, like Mexico or even in the US; building the Passat in TN worked wonders for the price and didn't absurdly cheapen it but yet sliced the MSRP nicely).

Tacomas, Frontiers, etc. all reasonably popular here and enthusiasm is growing in the US for VW's diesels, the Ranger is NLA here too so there's some vacancy to fill.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      05-05-2012 12:47 PM #30
      Fappin away here.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      05-05-2012 12:54 PM #31
      Sure - as long as VW can justify the expense of a billion? dollar assembly line to handle body on frame for 10K annual sales.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-05-2012 12:55 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      I still don't understand why (VWoA thinks) this wouldn't fly in the US (assuming that cost and build location is worked out, like Mexico or even in the US; building the Passat in TN worked wonders for the price and didn't absurdly cheapen it but yet sliced the MSRP nicely).

Tacomas, Frontiers, etc. all reasonably popular here and enthusiasm is growing in the US for VW's diesels, the Ranger is NLA here too so there's some vacancy to fill.
      VW doesn't have factory capacity in Mexico to build this, and the Chattanooga line will be devoted to building the Passat and a brace of crossovers, which are vastly more lucrative. They'd have to build a new factory to build it. That's not going to happen for 10,000 sales a year.

Tacomas are the only smaller pickups that sell in appreciable numbers. The Frontier hangs on, mostly because its platform is shared with 4 other Nissan vehicles. The Ranger wasn't worth it for Ford to produce here, and nobody else is even bothering. The midsize pickup market is not a lucrative niche. If VW had a partner it could share frames and design with to amortize costs, maybe it would be justifiable, but I think you're totally overestimating the size of the opportunity the Amarok represents to VW.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 05-05-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-05-2012 01:01 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by CBJ View Post
      And you still get a little itty-bitty little diesel. The size of the TDI unit in the VW has been the biggest draw back here where 3L+ diesels are the norm in all the competition. The new Ranger is probably the class of this field now.
      From what I've gathered, it's pretty strong because it's got two turbos. I'd rate it more likely that, if they tried to take a go at it here, they'd just use the V6 diesel they've already got federalized for the SUVs.

34. 05-05-2012 02:12 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      None of those expectations are unrealistic. Toyota, Ford, Chevy, and Nissan have all been able to make small trucks that meet those.

I paid $18,000 flat for my Tacoma, including all the dealer's stupid fees. So my point is that the Amarok would have to be a bit cheaper than that in order for me to consider an untested and unknown brand.
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/tacoma

27 MPG is unrealistic. Mid 18s Mixed. So if you took 27+18.5/2=22.55 mixed and it's falling below that.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      05-05-2012 02:22 PM #35
      I love these threads. Its always, "I will buy it!" But I highly doubt it. If there was a strong demand, combined with a good profit margin, for a small diesel pick up, there would be one here already since every midsize pickup we have has a diesel counterpart over here already, including the Ford Ranger. I rack a lot of this up in the same category as the Passat alltrack. It wont come here so stop complaining about how its not.

Big deal, theyre building the truck in Germany now. Hooray. I guess the ones that I have been seeing are the ones made in Argentina. Meh.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast