Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Diamond pet food recall

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-05-2012 09:27 AM #1
      Diamond is like Proctor & Gamble. They make food sold under a lot of names. This time it's a salmonella issue with pets & owners getting sick. The list is expanding daily.

http://www.askavetquestion.com/news/...and-cat-foods/

http://diamondpetrecall.com/

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/home/NB_recall.html

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/information/
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-05-2012 01:42 PM #2
      Kirkland cat food was just added to the list, so now it's a much bigger issue. There are probably more brands of cat food to follow. This could really start to snowball.
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

Vehicles
      '75 Eldorado vert, '13 Sierra Denali CC D/A, '11 Outback 3.6R
      05-07-2012 04:55 PM #3
      •Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
      •Country Value
      •Diamond
      •Diamond Naturals
      •Premium Edge
      •Professional
      •4Health
      •Taste of the Wild
      •Apex
      •Kirkland Signature/Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain
      •Canidae

This is the second recall in a few years. I'm done, moving on to something else.
      Cary

'13 Sierra Denali 2500 CC D/A
      '11 Outback 3.6R
      '12 FLHTCUI
      '75 Eldorado ragtop

Forum Rules

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-07-2012 07:04 PM #4
      Here's the latest update. Wellness is the addition.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...ecall-summary/

4Health
      Apex
      Canidae
      Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
      Country Value
      Diamond
      Diamond Naturals
      Kirkland Signature
      Natural Balance
      Premium Edge
      Professional
      Taste of the Wild
      Wellness

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead261 View Post
      •Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
      •Country Value
      •Diamond
      •Diamond Naturals
      •Premium Edge
      •Professional
      •4Health
      •Taste of the Wild
      •Apex
      •Kirkland Signature/Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain
      •Canidae

This is the second recall in a few years. I'm done, moving on to something else.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-08-2012 11:46 AM #5
      Solid Gold joins the recall.

Solid Gold WolfKing Large Breed Adult Food, All sizes, Best before December 30, 2012, Batch code starting with SGL1201

Solid Gold WolfCub Large Breed Puppy Food, All Sizes, Best before December 30, 2012, Batch code starting with SGB1201

6. 05-08-2012 12:43 PM #6
      Looks like I'm in the clear with TOTW. But it just reminds me that I should really start getting into raw diets.

Thanks for the info.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 Taurus X, '12 GTI, '05 SV650
      05-08-2012 01:53 PM #7
      Crap

My 2/3 empty TOTW bag is in the recall. Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago my dog was vomiting a good bit - took her to the vet, ran some tests and she came back clear. Vet told me there was a canine stomach virus in the area (they had seen quite a few dogs with it) and believed that is what we were dealing with. Gave her some meds for the nausea / vomiting and she was fine in a few days. No problems since then.

Time to call Diamond to see about getting a refund or replacement bag of food.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-08-2012 05:35 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by STOICH View Post
      Looks like I'm in the clear with TOTW. But it just reminds me that I should really start getting into raw diets.

Thanks for the info.
      Thought I might be able to help someone out who missed the information. The TV news is usually 3-7 days behind on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
      Crap

My 2/3 empty TOTW bag is in the recall. Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago my dog was vomiting a good bit - took her to the vet, ran some tests and she came back clear. Vet told me there was a canine stomach virus in the area (they had seen quite a few dogs with it) and believed that is what we were dealing with. Gave her some meds for the nausea / vomiting and she was fine in a few days. No problems since then.

Time to call Diamond to see about getting a refund or replacement bag of food.
      I bought a bag late in April, before the recall, & don't have the production code. I'd say 2/3-3/4 of the bag is gone, but Friday my boy had soft stool & it's been diarrhea since then. He has been diagnosed with EPI, so this may have triggered it. Tossed the rest in the garbage as a precaution, & went to the store Monday as soon as it opened. No TOTW kibble anywhere, including cat food. Was told that all of it was checked & pulled because the info matched up with the recall. I picked up a bag of Nature's Variety Instinct chicken. Changing foods with EPI is not recommended when you find something that works, but really have no choice at this time.

Vehicles
      2011 CW Autobahn, DSG
      05-08-2012 10:07 PM #9
      Oh come on! I just bought a bag of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul yesterday. My pups have been eating Innova for two years now, but the price went from $43 to $55 the past couple months, so we wanted to switch. CSDLS was only $46, and naturally the new food is part of the recall.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-08-2012 11:40 PM #10
      The cat food recall is expanding.

 Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul – ALL SKU’S Cat & Dog
       Diamond – ALL SKU’S Cat & Dog
       Diamond Naturals – ALL SKU’S Cat & Dog
       Premium Edge – ALL SKU’S Cat & Dog
       Professional – ALL SKU’S Cat & Dog
       Taste of the Wild – ALL SKU’S Cat & Dog

Vehicles
      1990 Golf G60 & 2001 GTI VR6
      05-08-2012 11:46 PM #11
      I was feeding Diamond, once the recall came i cant make myself buy anything else from them. After searching for another mid priced kibble and came up with nothing, i gave up and will be switching back to raw.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-08-2012 11:54 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Charged77 View Post
      I was feeding Diamond, once the recall came i cant make myself buy anything else from them. After searching for another mid priced kibble and came up with nothing, i gave up and will be switching back to raw.
      There are a couple mid-priced ones I found. Merrick's "Before Grain", & Nature's Variety Instinct.

http://www.beforegrain.com/

http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/dog/all

I was going to buy Before Grain, but my local Pet Supermarket does not carry it yet even though they carry other Merrick products. I went with Instinct Chicken & will see how they do on it.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 12:10 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQualude View Post
      There are a couple mid-priced ones I found. Merrick's "Before Grain", & Nature's Variety Instinct.

http://www.beforegrain.com/

http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/dog/all

I was going to buy Before Grain, but my local Pet Supermarket does not carry it yet even though they carry other Merrick products. I went with Instinct Chicken & will see how they do on it.
      I'll look them up, thanks. I found a couple brands like whole earth farms ( merrick brand), Victor, and healthwise. When it comes down to it, im not happy with all the ingredients and if im going to spend $1.20 lbs i might as well go back on raw.

Call me crazy, but i feel like most kibble brands dont have my dogs best interest in mind.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-09-2012 10:02 AM #14
      I'll look them up, thanks. I found a couple brands like whole earth farms ( merrick brand), Victor, and healthwise. When it comes down to it, im not happy with all the ingredients and if im going to spend $1.20 lbs i might as well go back on raw.

Call me crazy, but i feel like most kibble brands dont have my dogs best interest in mind.
      You're welcome. As much as I find the employees at my local Pet Supermarket much more helpful that the other 3 mega pet food stores in town, if Instinct doesn't work out I will have to go with Before Grain from Petco until the local PS carries it.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-09-2012 11:16 PM #15
      WTF?!!! Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken kibble find inside bag.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 01:24 AM #16
      what is it? it looks like a worm...

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-10-2012 09:30 AM #17
      I thought it was a bone at first, but I'm pretty sure it's a piece of nylon or soft plastic.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-10-2012 11:31 AM #18
      Nature's Variety contacted me with an online form to fill out, & I was able to upload a couple of images of the issue to them. The ball is now in their court.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2012 12:25 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQualude View Post
      I thought it was a bone at first, but I'm pretty sure it's a piece of nylon or soft plastic.
      Damn that's ridiculous if it is in fact plastic.

As for a possible replacement for my TOTW, I think I am going to try either:

Looked it up online and prices are crazy for this...~$50 for a 25lb bag

or

It's not grain free, but my brother-in-law switched his GSDs from TOTW over to this and they are doing great on it. $33 for a 40lb bag is nice, too...

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 01:36 PM #20

or

It's not grain free, but my brother-in-law switched his GSDs from TOTW over to this and they are doing great on it. $33 for a 40lb bag is nice, too...

I just got some BG 96% chicken can food, never heard of them, but they have been around for awhile.

If you have feed supply stores around you, you can usually find good dog food for reasonable prices.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2012 06:05 PM #21
      If you have feed supply stores around you, you can usually find good dog food for reasonable prices.
      Yep - the second bag I pictured above is from Southern States - a home and farm supply place. They have been in the pet food business for a very long time, and are starting to come out with some 'premium' products like the Naturals line pictured above. I think I'm going to give them a try.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-10-2012 09:05 PM #22

I bought a small bag of that exact kibble to test feed. It actually smells like meat. With one dog being EPI positive being able to incubate the food properly with enzymes is essential. TOTW was a really good food for the process, but unfortunately isn't available. $50 is a mental barrier. A $50 bag lasts about 3 weeks for my 2 Dobies. I know I can't eat for 3 weeks for $50.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-12-2012 02:33 PM #23
      Update: The boy absolutely loves the taste of the BG Buffalo kibble. The girl is a fast eater & always finishes well before him, but not now. It's worth the extra $5 over TOTW just because he's happier. The girl's stool has returned to almost normal, with the boy not too far behind.

I have to mention that they both had diarrhea on NVI Chicken, & the girl had mucous & a lot of blood in hers. I didn't see the piece of kibble with the object sticking out of it until the end of the third day. I'm going to put the kibble with the embedded object in a suitable envelope & send it to NV for analysis, but a coupon for a free bag isn't much help if the food just gives them the runs.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-12-2012 03:40 PM #24
      This website has links to individual brands & the specific codes to look for within each brand.

http://diamondpetrecall.com/

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-16-2012 03:27 PM #25
      Nature's Variety has followed up on my concerns through a couple of posting replies & 2 phone calls. I will be sending them the kibble piece back in the near future.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-16-2012 04:57 PM #26
      Preliminary FDA report on Diamond & Salmonella.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/0...ampaign=120516

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      05-20-2012 08:17 PM #27
      Add another one to the list.

http://diamondpet.com/information/