Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1991 Audi 80 quattro brake upgrade

1. 05-05-2012 11:51 AM #1
      Hey all,

I tried searching, but couldn't find a definitive answer on this.

I've been shopping around for options for upgrading the OEM brakes on 80 and while I've found upgrades, rotors, pads, and lines, I haven't been able to find anything about calipers. Parts are already hard to find for this car; performance parts and upgrades are damned near impossible, it seems.

I'd really like to upgrade the brake booster and calipers on the car, along with everything else, as the brakes currently are a little mushier than I like and I get some pretty serious brake fade at times. It currently has solid rears and vented fronts, with single piston calipers all around.

My three main questions are thus:

1) Is there somewhere that I can buy upgraded 2-piston calipers that will fit on my car? What about a stronger brake booster?

2) Is it possible to upgrade the solid rear rotors to vented rotors? I realize the OEM caliper is fitted for solids on the rear, but maybe aftermarket calipers could fit vented.

3) What about a full brake system swap? I've heard of people swapping A6 and S4 brakes onto their B4 90's and Coupes, but nothing about B3's, and especially nothing about 80's. What brake systems would be interchangeable or fit onto my B3 80? I'm doing the work myself and do not have access for fabricators or welding equipment, so anything suggested would need be essentially bolt-on.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 verde rado gernade(dd),90Q 20v, red rado 24v build
      05-05-2012 08:31 PM #2
      Check the DIY thread on rear brake upgrade. The cheap upgrade for front are Audi G60 calipers and carriers, they came on 5kqt and 200 and v6 90 series. They dual pistons calipers, also use the b4 rotors for right offset, the coupe rotors are different offset. Bigger brakes in front mean you need 15in rims bc additional diameter. There no point to change brake booster or mc either, do a brake flush first and get some good pads like hawk or mintex ferando brake lining, upgrade your brakes line to braided lines. Check out 20v.org or 20v.net. Good info there too.

3. 05-05-2012 09:09 PM #3
      Thanks. =)

If they came on the 5000 quattro, 200, and V6 90, are you sure they'll fit on the 90? I know the 80 was the least sporty model Audi made at the time, so I don't know if anything is different when it comes to hardware mounting points.

Also, I'm already running 15" Ronals, so the larger rotors should fit.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      92 verde rado gernade(dd),90Q 20v, red rado 24v build
      05-07-2012 09:49 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by CarverGeeker View Post
      Thanks. =)

If they came on the 5000 quattro, 200, and V6 90, are you sure they'll fit on the 90? I know the 80 was the least sporty model Audi made at the time, so I don't know if anything is different when it comes to hardware mounting points.

Also, I'm already running 15" Ronals, so the larger rotors should fit.
      You need the calipers and carriers to make work and possible the brake lines too.
      The dual pistons caliper aka G60 do fit 80 model. I put them on 10v 90Q and mine 20v 90Q. Early 10v 90Q are same as 80Q, both 10v with wheel bearing housing integrated strut housing. Just make sure to use B4 v6 rotors and 3mm spacer, you can use 2 washers that add unto 3mm. Just make sure the bolt is long enough your spacing caliper carrier 3mm offset to center caliper to the rotor.

Vehicles
      90 Audi S8coupe, 90 Fox Wagon, wife's 2008 CW R32, kid's 89 2l 16V gli, 2010 Jetta TDI
      05-07-2012 11:27 PM #5
      Just use the 276X25 rotors from 5000/100/200 and redrill the rotors. Better than spacers.

Greg W.
      They have my car when they pry my dead cold fingers from the steering wheel.

Vehicles
      '91 80 Quattro
      05-13-2012 07:46 PM #6
      I used a set of calipers off a 5000 I parted, and a set of rotors for the B3 90 20v with the g60 factory brakes. I did have to space the calipers, but its no big deal, as the oem bolts are long enough, and so are the hoses. I would recomend upgrading to braided lines though.
      "If you can't find one, make one"