Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: new chains, still noisy

Vehicles
      02 GTI 07 ruckus 85 e30 318i 14 Yamaha FZ-09
      05-05-2012 01:41 PM #1
      So I put new chains in the VR last month, and they are still noisy. I cant figure this out, was thinking maybe the lower tensioner was bad? I already tried re-bleeding the upper one. Any suggestions? I can see if I can get a sound clip of the noise.
      Bagged shaved caged big turbo mk4
      Bagged e30
      Slammed stretched ruckus
      Stock fz09
      Buiod threads coming soon!

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit GTI, 02 GTI
      05-05-2012 03:15 PM #2
      I just replaced all of my guides and tensioners and they are still noisy as well.. I dunno
      Wagen Wednesdays - Wednesday evenings at 7:00PM
      -----------------------------------
      Chad
      VWunion Club Founder
      VWunion.net - Colorado's Volkswagen Club

Vehicles
      05-05-2012 04:25 PM #3
      yea, it was the first thing I did when i got the engine, glad I did as the plastic one was broken in half and the other one looked like this

Bagged e30
      Slammed stretched ruckus
      Stock fz09

Vehicles
      New 04 pd100 Old setup 94 JTI Vrt 60-1 .58ar exh obd2 440 racefile 20psi/meth
      05-07-2012 02:16 PM #4
      Thats a typical early upper dual chain rail, wears the top to the rivets then pop goes the meterial. Sure your lifters aren't your issue. Vrs are noisy engines even when fresh.
      Coming soon 4dr pd golf on air dipped blue with hitch racks and skid. Real work horse
      Automatic cause shifting short ratio sucks

5. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC (sold), 91 GTI VR6
      05-07-2012 03:47 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by masterqaz View Post
      Thats a typical early upper dual chain rail, wears the top to the rivets then pop goes the meterial. Sure your lifters aren't your issue. Vrs are noisy engines even when fresh.
      I just did chains and rebuilt the head. It is soooo noisy. Upon first start up there was a definite lifter tick and now it doesn't sound as bad but still some ticking. Is this normal?
      DCI-VW

Vehicles
      New 04 pd100 Old setup 94 JTI Vrt 60-1 .58ar exh obd2 440 racefile 20psi/meth
      05-07-2012 05:49 PM #6
      It would be normal for a fresh head to make noise depending on if you bled the lifters properly or not. Ive heard some people talk about how loud theirs were on start up but it went away.

When I built my head I just plunked them in(I however do not condone this method) haha , they came upside down when I got them and they felt alright. Pretty quiet on startup too.

When you say rebuilt the head, what exactly did you do?
      Coming soon 4dr pd golf on air dipped blue with hitch racks and skid. Real work horse
      Automatic cause shifting short ratio sucks

7. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC (sold), 91 GTI VR6
      05-07-2012 07:13 PM #7
      had the head decked and pressure tested, new drc 268 cams, supertech hd valve springs, new lifters, new valve stem seals, had the valves ground (im not sure what the official term would be??? lol) I too just dropped the lifters in.. they were in a bag with oil inside of it so in they went! When i first started the motor the oil light was on and my car was beeping at me. I held the rpms at 2500 for a minute and then it stopped once the oil pressure built up. The lifters dont make as loud and deep of a "tick" but there is still some kind of tick. I dont know if that is how it should be?

I planned on building the head on my motor, then one day a tick started. We thought it was a bad lifter so it justified my build even more! Then the day we started the build and removed hte plug wires, we realized one of them was barely on... So the tick was probably the wire grounding or arcing to the head maybe? We plugged the wire on ALL OF THE WAY and started it again and it was gone... so essentially there was nothing wrong .

I reused the wires after the work was done and the tick was still there. I also noticed the connectors were black on a few of them on the spark plug side. So I bought the eurosport 8mm plug wires.

The tick is still there. If it is meant to be there i can live with it, but before the build there was no tick, and my corrado with a vr had no tick like this. Therefore, I dont think it should have this.

Maybe its me being paranoid after dumping a couple grand into my motor? haha

If anyone has any ideas or experience i would appreciate it.

oh and sorry for thread jacking. but maybe someones input could help both of us!
      DCI-VW

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 04:29 AM #8
      its deff my chains not my lifters..
      Bagged e30
      Slammed stretched ruckus
      Stock fz09

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit GTI, 02 GTI
      05-08-2012 09:43 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by running_corrado View Post
      had the head decked and pressure tested, new drc 268 cams, supertech hd valve springs, new lifters, new valve stem seals, had the valves ground (im not sure what the official term would be??? lol) I too just dropped the lifters in.. they were in a bag with oil inside of it so in they went! When i first started the motor the oil light was on and my car was beeping at me. I held the rpms at 2500 for a minute and then it stopped once the oil pressure built up. The lifters dont make as loud and deep of a "tick" but there is still some kind of tick. I dont know if that is how it should be?

I planned on building the head on my motor, then one day a tick started. We thought it was a bad lifter so it justified my build even more! Then the day we started the build and removed hte plug wires, we realized one of them was barely on... So the tick was probably the wire grounding or arcing to the head maybe? We plugged the wire on ALL OF THE WAY and started it again and it was gone... so essentially there was nothing wrong .

I reused the wires after the work was done and the tick was still there. I also noticed the connectors were black on a few of them on the spark plug side. So I bought the eurosport 8mm plug wires.

The tick is still there. If it is meant to be there i can live with it, but before the build there was no tick, and my corrado with a vr had no tick like this. Therefore, I dont think it should have this.

Maybe its me being paranoid after dumping a couple grand into my motor? haha

If anyone has any ideas or experience i would appreciate it.

oh and sorry for thread jacking. but maybe someones input could help both of us!
      Could be your injectors, buy a stethascope from harbor freight for $3 and do some inspecting
      Wagen Wednesdays - Wednesday evenings at 7:00PM
      -----------------------------------
      Chad
      VWunion Club Founder
      VWunion.net - Colorado's Volkswagen Club

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC LUX
      05-16-2012 08:17 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by first9t! View Post
      its deff my chains not my lifters..
      Why is that? Any updates? I just did a rebuild. After intial start up it sounded like a diesel. I didn't soak my lifters like you guys did, but after almost throwing up from the sound and just letting it idle about 15 minutes it sounded great.

After driving it four about four days, I have developes another "tick" coming from what sounds like the #3/#5 piston area. So I am searching the forums looking for similar issues and trying to find out what the fix was. I know my problem could be completely different. Just looking for ideas when I open this bitch back up!

Hope yours is fixed and running good again!
      Drive that **** like you stole it!!

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 04:19 AM #11
      nope, I have the next couple days off, and its one of the tasks for me to figure out. I am going to do another oil change and see if it helps any and go from there
      Bagged e30
      Slammed stretched ruckus
      Stock fz09

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC LUX
      05-17-2012 09:12 AM #12
      Thanks, just keep us updated. I think I am going to pull the intake and valve cover back off and take a look inside. Maybe even try to get a borescope from work and look at my valves.

Good luck!

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 03:35 AM #13
      new oil didnt do it. I will be putting a new head on the car if I dont sell it soon, will be replacing all valves and lifters. See if that helps
      Bagged e30
      Slammed stretched ruckus
      Stock fz09

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC LUX
      06-15-2012 09:06 AM #14
      Drained my oil and pulled my oil filter. From the looks of it, I spun a bearing! This car just doesn't want to stay on the road!!